|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Attack angle- question for one planers

would you say that one planers attack angle is shallow or steep? how exactly would I know which I am? looking to guy a wedge and noticed that they are different depending on your attack angle.

daveperk Guest
    I am a one-plane guy and my angle is shallow, judging by my divots. Even the long ones aren't very deep. With a hybrid or fairway wood there is no divot at all. 4 or 5 iron very little divot. A lob wedge beaver-pelt will only be a half inch deep...

Do you take divots on all of your iron shots, especially the high irons? If you generally take shallow divots, say ones that clip off the tops of the grass rather than dig down through the grass then your angle is not steep. A friend I play with rarely digs out a piece of sod when he swings. On the other hand you regularly see sod flying when I swing with a high iron. I think you can have a steep angle of attack with both one and two plane.

daveperk Guest
    I do take divots. They are not deep. I take them with irons up to the 4, less and less, and generally my 3 iron or hybrid shots don't dig at all, only clipping the grass.

Im a one planer also and I dont take a divot unless im using one of my scoreing irons like 9 - lob wedge. I also always practice religiously to work from in to out on my swing plane.

I think a one planer typically has a steeper angle of attack but it is a matter of degrees with any swing I think. Vijay is a one planer and I've seen him take some pretty solid divots when he swings. I saw Jack Nicklaus explaining his golf swing and he said he didn't take big divots, that he swept the ball a lot more than players today. I have recently switched to a one plane swing and I still like to take a divot. I believe a steeper angle of attack gives you more leverage and allows you to compress the ball more and get more distance as a result. Of course when I get to my 5 iron and other longer, less lofted clubs the divots get shallow.

Thread Information