|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Short game practice......

We always hear how important it is to practice the short game and how it is the key to lowering scores. My practice of the short game consists of going to the range and hitting pitch and chip shots to specific targets. I also practice by hitting short pitch shots in the backyard. Now this has helped my short game prowness but I feel I'M not getting the best practice with this method. Why? Simply put how do I know what the carry to roll ratio is for every club? In order to figure this I need a green. The local practice greens only alow for very short chip and pitch shots so I'M not getting the full practice that I need to raise the level of my short game. One needs to practice shots from 50 yards in from a variety of different lies. As for practice facilities they are non-existant in my area. I was thinking of taking advantage of some early bird & late in the day specials at some local courses and just going to a specific hole on the course and spend a couple of hours working on my short game from 50 yards in .... I'M not sure how course officials would feel about this because at times the courses can get jammed during the early and late hours of the day (bargin golfers). I'M trying to raise my game to the next level and I need to get this type of practice in so my question to all of you is what do you do to practice the short game as I have outlined above? Any suggestions would be helpful....thanks!

You and I are brothers....

I have the exact same problem. Over the last three years I have dropped my handicap from 22 to 18 to 13, but I'm also frustrated by the lack of a "real" green that can be played from 50 yards in. That and believe it or not, none of the driving ranges near my home have a sand trap... How dumb is that? There is even one that advertises "You can practice every club in your bag..." Yeah, but not from anything other than a perfectly flat lie to a non-discript target out there in a field. Okay, enough whining, now here is what I've done about it.

I joined the least popular golf course around my place of employment. Seriously, I was literally their 20th member. The course is still new and its growing, but because not a lot of people play it (especially during off hours i.e. my lunchtime.) So what I do is to head over there on my lunch hour, grab a golf cart and truck my happy butt (and my practice tube) out to one of the holes and just work on 50 yards in. You would literally be amazed how quickly your short game can improve with this method. Plus you get very confident with the course having practiced short game on all 18 holes. So, when ever I play with a group on that course, I have a huge advantage.

I should mention that I've gotten to know the owners of the course quite well. I've been a member for three years now and they are now up to 50 members. I feel as though they appreciate me, as I've been with them as they've grown. Believe it or not, I asked for a sandtrap for the last couple years at the practice area and this year they've actually added one. Wow!

So, joining a course isn't an option, perhaps you can lobby at what ever practice area you do have for what you need? Often (not always) owners do listen to what their customers say.

I hope this helps you out. I'd be interested to hear if you can do any of these methods.

Later
    Dicks
    David Dicks,
    Handicap: 11
    In my bag:
    TaylorMade 2007 Burner (Standard Stiff Shaft)
    Callaway 5-PW Fusion WS Irons
    Callaway Big Bertha II 3,5 & 7 FW woods
    Callaway 54 & 60 Wedges
    Odyssey Putter

I'M going to make the rounds of some local par 3's where the cost is minimal and see if they don't mind if I just jump on a couple of holes to work on the short game. I'M willing to bet that many other players who are serious about bettering their handicap run into the same problems......

daveperk Guest
    My driving range has a wedge green for short pitch and chip shots out to 25 yards, and also has lots and lots of colored posts and flagsticks at distances like 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120 and on out to 190. Not much chance to try rollout stuff, but at least you can do it on the wedge green... and a fifty yard pitch hit right will stop pretty quick anyway... so I think this is a decent facility for practicing the short stuff... it really helps me dial in the hand position in backswing for the various distances.. I just pick a hand position (9 o'clock, 10, 11, etc) and see how far the ball flies with it. I can also hit punches and flops from 25 in onto a real green. If I snuck off to the far edge of that section I could probably get 30 yards from it.

However you practice, hit one ball, one time. There are no do overs in golf. Work on your ability to visually size up the shot and then pull it off the first time. Hitting a bunch of balls at the same target will just give you a false sense of improvement and won't follow you to the course.

While the above sugestions are nice it is not the practice itselk guys its the lack of proper facilities to practice the short game properly...............lets try and stay on the point.

Thread Information