|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Request for 1iron

1iron, as a vbulletin pro I am sure you know how to create a poll. How do I create the following poll?

Subject: Should 1iron post a video of his swing?

Options:

- No, I for one believe him. Oh yeah, and I am brain dead.

-Yes, he is full of crap.

-I don't give a rat's arse! Why am I even looking at this thread?

Why am I even looking at this thread?

who the hell is 1iron?
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Six year old thread ... hmm. Maybe someone should do the right thing and create the poll for dear old va_ripper.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Who is 1 Iron?
    Why am I looking at this thread!

"1 iron" was one of the many characters on this board whose chief role was to annoy everybody with his purported obsession with hitting a 1 iron. He was like the GFF horde on on steroids. Not only should everyone play blades, but everyone should play a 1 iron. He endlessly regaled all with his exploits in playing this marvelous club. Many of us had a suspicion of who "he" might be. Many suspected he had never hit a 1 iron. Of course, one is never sure, thanks to the anonymity of the internet.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    "1 iron" was one of the many characters on this board whose chief role was to annoy everybody with his purported obsession with hitting a 1 iron. He was like the GFF horde on on steroids. Not only should everyone play blades, but everyone should play a 1 iron. He endlessly regaled all with his exploits in playing this marvelous club. Many of us had a suspicion of who "he" might be. Many suspected he had never hit a 1 iron. Of course, one is never sure, thanks to the anonymity of the internet.
    It's interesting. I played with a high handicap chopper (21 or so I think) yesterday and he had an old PING Eye 2, 1 iron in the bag along with his much more recent edition Taylormade drivers, fairway woods, rescue and irons. He kept slicing the driver and on the 3rd or 4th hole decided to take the 1 iron off the tee. He hit it nice and straight down the middle with decent distance. He carried on using it all day apart from one or two holes where he decided to try the driver again. Both times he sliced the driver badly and went back to the 1 iron. I think he only hit one poor (fat) drive with the 1 iron all day.

Horses for courses I guess?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    It's interesting. I played with a high handicap chopper (21 or so I think) yesterday and he had an old PING Eye 2, 1 iron in the bag along with his much more recent edition Taylormade drivers, fairway woods, rescue and irons. He kept slicing the driver and on the 3rd or 4th hole decided to take the 1 iron off the tee. He hit it nice and straight down the middle with decent distance. He carried on using it all day apart from one or two holes where he decided to try the driver again. Both times he sliced the driver badly and went back to the 1 iron. I think he only hit one poor (fat) drive with the 1 iron all day.

Whatever works, I guess. I certainly believe your story, and have no doubt that some people can hit it, but if you had a chance to read some of the older threads by this illustrious GR'r, you would conclude that the 1 iron obsession was mainly a vehicle for trolling and flaming. It had all the monotonous, dogmatic flavor of the GFF blader devotees, but was even more annoying and unrealistic. I seem to remember that he hit his 1 iron 280-300 yards striped down the center, every time, and SO SHOULD YOU!!

Whatever works, I guess. I certainly believe your story, and have no doubt that some people can hit it, but if you had a chance to read some of the older threads by this illustrious GR'r, you would conclude that the 1 iron obsession was mainly a vehicle for trolling and flaming. It had all the monotonous, dogmatic flavor of the GFF blader devotees, but was even more annoying and unrealistic. I seem to remember that he hit his 1 iron 280-300 yards striped down the center, every time, and SO SHOULD YOU!!
    LOL I can imagine, as the GFF blades lobby are now.

Given how old it was I guess it's possible the loft was more like a modern 2 iron and the PING Eye 2 is about as oversize and forgiving as an iron can get. He was certainly a chopper and it was strictly a control club off the tee. He didn't attempt to use it off the fairway and when I say decent distance I mean relative to his short knocking chopper tee shots he was attempting to hit with his driver.
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 09-27-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Now where the f#ck am I?

May I respecfully suggest that hitting a 1 iron off a tee with a driver like upsweeping swing is going to be a lot easier than creaming one off a tight, slightly down hill lie.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    May I respecfully suggest that hitting a 1 iron off a tee with a driver like upsweeping swing is going to be a lot easier than creaming one off a tight, slightly down hill lie.
    Other than using it for controlled tee shots the only other possible use for this club would be punching wayward drives out from under trees.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Other than using it for controlled tee shots the only other possible use for this club would be punching wayward drives out from under trees.
    Or killing snakes.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Or killing snakes.
    It's interesting that in the past 12 months I have played with three guys that had a 1 iron in the bag and all 3 of them had the PING Eye 2.

One was the chopper I played with on Sunday. Another was a very good golfer whose other irons were some ancient 1973 Ben Hogan blades. He hit the 1 iron really well off the tee and it was his control/accuracy club on tight driving holes. He reckons if he ever upgrades his crummy old equipment he won't give the 1 iron up.

The third guy was a decent single figure golfer who was playing the MP-37s. I only saw him use the 1 iron once and he hit a massive block right. We were playing Jacks Point in Queenstown at the time, quite a tight, unforgiving track but he was extremely lucky that his very poor tee shot found another fairway rather than being lost in the scrub.

I wonder if PING were the last company to bother making a 1 iron?

Now where the f#ck am I?

[QUOTE=Kiwi Player]It's interesting that in the past 12 months I have played with three guys that had a 1 iron in the bag and all 3 of them had the PING Eye 2.

One was the chopper I played with on Sunday. Another was a very good golfer whose other irons were some ancient 1973 Ben Hogan blades. He hit the 1 iron really well off the tee and it was his control/accuracy club on tight driving holes. He reckons if he ever upgrades his crummy old equipment he won't give the 1 iron up.

The third guy was a decent single figure golfer who was playing the MP-37s. I only saw him use the 1 iron once and he hit a massive block right. We were playing Jacks Point in Queenstown at the time, quite a tight, unforgiving track but he was extremely lucky that his very poor tee shot found another fairway rather than being lost in the scrub.

I wonder if PING were the last company to bother making a 1 iron?[/QUOTE]

I know that Mizuno mp14's, 1994-1998 and Mp33's, 2001-2003 both had a 1 iron avaiable. The most recent ping with a 1 iron was the i3+ and the i3+blade 2002-2003. Titleist 681 blades 2001-2003 was available with a 1 iron. Even Callaway X16 steelhead 2003-2004 came with a 1 iron.
    So it seems clear that most mainstream companies phased out the 1 irons by 2004 at the latest.

1iron sounds alot like Omen to me: an egoistical, boisterous, daft lad.

Here are some examples:
    http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=202
    http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=204
    http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=49
    http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=119

You get the idea. "He" was an annoying troller/flamer who made extravagant claims in order to stir up controversy and get attention.

Two words : Absolutely Retarded.

"1 Iron is the only person I have seen that is a bigger liar than the Iraqi information minister that declared the U.S. Army was not in Baghdad." - braincramp

First time I looked at this thread and I was wondering if this VERY important point was going to be brought up. Nothing passes your gaze, OP . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    as we can see from this thread, cries for a swing video were common back in the old days of GR. it's good to see the GR gene has not evolved away from its common ancestor.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    this guy sounds like the Charles Darwin of GR evolution history. i'm sorry i never got a chance to meet him. was this Omen's biological father?

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    this guy sounds like the Charles Darwin of GR evolution history. i'm sorry i never got a chance to meet him. was this Omen's biological father?
    On this board, "anybody can be anybody." I am never sure who is who. I can only observe behaviors that are similar, and speculate.

1 iron was like a GR john Wayne. Strutting like a peacock, and stomping DM's lame arse.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    as we can see from this thread, cries for a swing video were common back in the old days of GR. it's good to see the GR gene has not evolved away from its common ancestor.
    Wasn't there a whole thread of them called "because Dave asked us to"?

whoever started that thread ended the title with a preposition. Gauche.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Thread Information