|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Tiger never carries a 2 iron and often leaves out his 3 iron

I read that Tigers lofts are 2* weaker than modern standard set ups and his 2, 3 & 4 irons are 21*, 24* and 27*.

In a modern set of irons those lofts equate to a 3,4 & 5 iron. His PW is 50*. No wonder he doesn't need a gap wedge.

So when he carries a 5 wood his setup is really:

D
    3w 15*
    5w 19*
    4-GW 24* - 50*
    SW 56*
    LW 60*
    Putter

In his book he states re blades "most amateurs would be better off with a sole heavy perimeter weighted cavity back club"

Furthermore re long irons "you'll notice I carry the 2 & 3 irons, the long irons aren't such a hot idea and most amateurs would be better off replacing them with hybrid utility woods"

So what he is really saying is replace your 3 & 4 irons with hybrids and don't even think about carrying a 2 iron or playing blades.

This should be food for thought for the clowns on this forum who base a lot of their opinions about blades and long irons on the fact that Tiger uses them.

Discuss!
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Here's another one that'll really make the purists here vomit.
    "If you're asking about hybrid golf clubs, let me tell you that I think they're just about the greatest gift to the amateur golfer since the mulligan.
    Good for pros, too. I use one. So do a lot of guys on the tour."

From "Golf My Own Damn Way" by none other than John Daly.

I thought this one was intersting as well.

"If I had my druthers, everybody would be required to ride a car to play golf, every time. PGA tour players as well. Everybody. I say make carts mandatory."

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Here's another one that'll really make the purists here vomit.
    "If you're asking about hybrid golf clubs, let me tell you that I think they're just about the greatest gift to the amateur golfer since the mulligan.
    Good for pros, too. I use one. So do a lot of guys on the tour."

From "Golf My Own Damn Way" by none other than John Daly.

I thought this one was intersting as well.

"If I had my druthers, everybody would be required to ride a car to play golf, every time. PGA tour players as well. Everybody. I say make carts mandatory."
    Whilst not the champion that Tiger is Daly is still a golfing god and his word too is sacred!

Now where the f#ck am I?

daveperk Guest
    YOu know what they say about a good walk spoiled? Someone is going to spoil the spoiled good walk one of these days... my club already forbids walkers on weekends until after the noon tee time..

I can play faster than 95% of the members when I'm on foot and they're on wheels.. it's about the number of swings, not the speed of getting from A to B.

And my club also, for sheer snootiness reasons, forbids pull carts, even the expensive ones. They claim it's for lawn care reasons, but shoes do a heck of a lot more damage than cart wheels with 40 lbs load on them.

What it's really for is to discourage the borderline walkers and force them into carts for fees. The serious walker will just carry the bag and go. The guy like me, who considers walking for his fitness' sake, has second thoughts.

OUr club won't even enter the cart girls in the local 'cute cart girls' contests. Protecting the image. I think their noses are so high in the air that if it rains they might drown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I read that Tigers lofts are 2* weaker than modern standard set ups and his 2, 3 & 4 irons are 21*, 24* and 27*.

In a modern set of irons those lofts equate to a 3,4 & 5 iron. His PW is 50*. No wonder he doesn't need a gap wedge.

So when he carries a 5 wood his setup is really:

D
    3w 15*
    5w 19*
    4-GW 24* - 50*
    SW 56*
    LW 60*
    Putter

In his book he states re blades "most amateurs would be better off with a sole heavy perimeter weighted cavity back club"

Furthermore re long irons "you'll notice I carry the 2 & 3 irons, the long irons aren't such a hot idea and most amateurs would be better off replacing them with hybrid utility woods"

So what he is really saying is replace your 3 & 4 irons with hybrids and don't even think about carrying a 2 iron or playing blades.

This should be food for thought for the clowns on this forum who base a lot of their opinions about blades and long irons on the fact that Tiger uses them.

Discuss!

THis is almost all completely wrong. Tiger himself has stated his 2 iron is 18* and is a direct replacement for his 5 wood on tracks he wants to keep the ball down on. His lofts are all old standard which is based off a 48* PW. What you read is very old info. Nothing at all to discuss here.

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    And my club also, for sheer snootiness reasons, forbids pull carts, even the expensive ones. They claim it's for lawn care reasons, but shoes do a heck of a lot more damage than cart wheels with 40 lbs load on them.

What it's really for is to discourage the borderline walkers and force them into carts for fees. The serious walker will just carry the bag and go. The guy like me, who considers walking for his fitness' sake, has second thoughts.
    Same here. It's got to be a revenue thing. If you choose to carry your own bag at the SPCC, there is a walking fee equivalent to a cart fee. Almost nobody carries their own bag. We do have a pretty big caddy program, which is my preferred method of playing.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    THis is almost all completely wrong. Tiger himself has stated his 2 iron is 18* and is a direct replacement for his 5 wood on tracks he wants to keep the ball down on. His lofts are all old standard which is based off a 48* PW. What you read is very old info. Nothing at all to discuss here.
    are you sure i was pretty sure his PW is 50* idk where i read it...

kiwi this is all b.s. and you know it. quit trying to start shiot. just because you cant handle blades dont say that tiger cant handle them either.

nothing to discuss.

Omen... still no aces.
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360

I am 110% positive

Here are Tiger's specs form his Titleist 681s designed by Terry McCabe and assembled by Larry Bobka: taper tip X-100 shafts tipped 1/4" and a D4 swingweight. Their length is graduated down in half-inch increments from a 39-inch 2-iron - 2-iron: 21 degrees loft/60 degrees lie (for most clubmakers, this is about one degree upright); 3-iron: 24 degrees loft/61 degrees lie; 4-iron: 27/62; 5-iron: 30/63; 6-iron: 33/63.5; 7-iron: 37/64; 8-iron: 41/64.5; 9-iron: 45/65; pitching wedge: 50/65.

Granted his Nike equip may have different specs due to his new swing but I think I would have better luck finding Jimmy Hoffa.
    Hi Bore 9.5
    Callaway Steelhead III 3W
    MP-32 3-PW
    MP-R 52, 56, 60
    Never Compromise GM2 Exchange #4

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Same here. It's got to be a revenue thing. If you choose to carry your own bag at the SPCC, there is a walking fee equivalent to a cart fee. Almost nobody carries their own bag. We do have a pretty big caddy program, which is my preferred method of playing.
    I'd LOVE a caddy program. That's a great way to help kids and get their minds into the game. INstead, I just pay the electric bill for the cart charging shack.

BTW, if Tiger's irons really are 2-3* weaker, doesn't that make one of his 210 yard 7 irons even MORE impressive?

Or, to me, impossible. When you're dealing with that much loft, higher clubhead speed just means more spin and higher flight, not more distance. Personally, I don't believe that story about his lofts. It doesn't track with my experience and with what I see him do on TV.

It would be nice to know this sort of thing for fact, but I doubt Tiger lets anyone talk about stuff that close to home. That's how Fluff got fired.

You know Kiwi I play with just 13 clubs aswell and always will and....... I hate the three iron so that fkr stays at home in a closet corner inthe dark in infinite time out..lol . FYI Tigers irons are not nike forged blades they are Mizuno MP-14 with a nike check ingrained in them. My set of Mp 14s are set up 2 degrees weaker than standard lofts of clubs nowadays aswell . And the affect you get from that is a higher softer landing iron shot with more spin . If you get a chance check out the loft specs of the mp-14 and youll see what i mean by the lofts and how tigers irons arent nike.

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    I'm with Lyle. a 48 wedge means a 27 five iron, then 24 21 18 for the four, three and two.. makes complete sense.

those lofts are lower than the old 'standard' but not as low as modern game improvement clubs.. my Adams is a 46 wedge and a 26 five iron...

With Tiger's lofts, that 210 yard seven iron is within reason. Not if his clubs are weaker than standard.

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    I'd LOVE a caddy program. That's a great way to help kids and get their minds into the game. INstead, I just pay the electric bill for the cart charging shack.

BTW, if Tiger's irons really are 2-3* weaker, doesn't that make one of his 210 yard 7 irons even MORE impressive?

Or, to me, impossible. When you're dealing with that much loft, higher clubhead speed just means more spin and higher flight, not more distance. Personally, I don't believe that story about his lofts. It doesn't track with my experience and with what I see him do on TV.

It would be nice to know this sort of thing for fact, but I doubt Tiger lets anyone talk about stuff that close to home. That's how Fluff got fired.
    Hey Dave you Know that having x-100 shafts and a dead accurate stroke of 127mph landing square into the back of the ball from a blade with conventional grooves produces a boring trajectory effect on the ball which means not too much spin is being applied and hence more distance.

Kiwi,

When Tiger said 'amatuers' he was obviously talking about the shmucks he gets saddled with in pro ams. It was obviously a book driected at new players and shovel using hackers (hence you own it) and wasn't his opinions about real golfers. The only way to guage his real opinion on equipment is to look at what he plays. End of argument.

Homeslicer, same goes for JD re:hybrids. He actaually stated that they are the best things since mulligans. Do you know any serious players who take mulligans?

And although JD is definitely a high ranking diety in the pantheon of golfing gods, is anyone really surprised that he hates walking. C'mon, he's made a career out of anti fitness quotes.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 07-08-2008 at 08:19 PM.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by strokeguru
    Hey Dave you Know that having x-100 shafts and a dead accurate stroke of 127mph landing square into the back of the ball from a blade with conventional grooves produces a boring trajectory effect on the ball which means not too much spin is being applied and hence more distance.
    ya but I'm talking about dead accurate grating of an 8 or 9 iron at angles of 34 or 38 degrees, not of a two iron which, ffrankly, nobody is including in the 'too much spin' discussion.

And I still say there is a speed above which hitting irons harder causes bad results, too much spin, too vertical a climb, etc. Even tiger doesn't swing the 7 iron like he does the driver.

Pros say 'swing easy when it's breezy', which is metaphor for a wind game made easier by less ball spin from lower impact speeds... use bigger clubs and swing easy, and the wind will have less effect on your ball flight. it's why you see guys choking down a lot on windy days.

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Kiwi,

When Tiger said 'amatuers' he was obviously talking about the shmucks he gets saddled with in pro ams. It was obviously a book driected at new players and shovel using hackers (hence you own it) and wasn't his opinions about real golfers. The only way to guage his real opinion on equipment is to look at what he plays. End of argument.

Homeslicer, same goes for JD re:hybrids. He actaually stated that they are the best things since mulligans. Do you know any serious players who take mulligans?

And although JD is definitely a high ranking diety in the pantheon of golfing gods, is anyone really surprised that he hates walking. C'mon, he's made a career out of anti fitness quotes.
    According to his book. It's more about the pace of play than the walking itself. He actually says that every golfer should have a cart. Meaning 4some= 4 carts. He must be an impatient fukker.
    As far as the hybrid quote, you must have quit reading after the mulligans part.
    His book is an entertaining read, albeit pretty useless from an educational standpoint.
    Last edited by Home-slicer; 07-09-2008 at 01:05 AM.

That's such a load of crap about the pull carts messing up the greens. I worked maitenance for a course, and the hand mowers or triplex cutters weigh MUCH MUCH more than a pull cart with bag on it would weigh. Even then, who would seriously park one of those on the green? They'd be stabbed by their playing partner or anyone within eye sight. Next time your course says something about that, bring that little tidbit up and see what they say.

Side note, it's been beaten to a pulp the amount of rumors about Tiger's irons and if they're Mizuno's, Miura's, etc. They're none of the above, they're pretty much their own brand of irons. Stites made them for him, and they have a Nike swoosh on them. Think of it as Stites blades with a little spot for advertising. Anyway, if you go to Nike's website, they list the specs for their Forged Blades. PW's a 49, 9i a 45, etc down the line, so you could expect his to be similar.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Quote Originally Posted by bigpun1974
    Here are Tiger's specs form his Titleist 681s designed by Terry McCabe and assembled by Larry Bobka: taper tip X-100 shafts tipped 1/4" and a D4 swingweight. Their length is graduated down in half-inch increments from a 39-inch 2-iron - 2-iron: 21 degrees loft/60 degrees lie (for most clubmakers, this is about one degree upright); 3-iron: 24 degrees loft/61 degrees lie; 4-iron: 27/62; 5-iron: 30/63; 6-iron: 33/63.5; 7-iron: 37/64; 8-iron: 41/64.5; 9-iron: 45/65; pitching wedge: 50/65.

Granted his Nike equip may have different specs due to his new swing but I think I would have better luck finding Jimmy Hoffa.
    Well those lofts are pretty much in line with what I read too.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Kiwi,

Yeah you're spot on as usual NAH.

I'm sure if Tiger played with YOU in a pro am he'd say "Damn you're a fine player for an amateur compared to the usual schmucks I get saddled with. YOU should play blades all the way down to an 18* 2 iron"

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Yeah you're spot on as usual NAH.

I'm sure if Tiger played with YOU in a pro am he'd say "Damn you're a fine player for an amateur compared to the usual schmucks I get saddled with. YOU should play blades all the way down to an 18* 2 iron"
    I have neither the money nor the connections to play in any pro am bigger than the regular one day events in outback NSW, let alone in Tigers group. Your comparison is illogical.

P.S. Good win to your boys on the weekend, in both games. I'm looking forward to the rest of the tri nations and watching the All Blacks have their arses handed to them by the wallabies. If we get the selections right and play Tahu at inside centre look out.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I have neither the money nor the connections to play in any pro am bigger than the regular one day events in outback NSW, let alone in Tigers group. Your comparison is illogical.

P.S. Good win to your boys on the weekend, in both games. I'm looking forward to the rest of the tri nations and watching the All Blacks have their arses handed to them by the wallabies. If we get the selections right and play Tahu at inside centre look out.
    Lol...Careful what u say about thee ALL BLACKS m8 .......DAH BEAH HUAH!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by strokeguru
    Lol...Careful what u say about thee ALL BLACKS m8 .......DAH BEAH HUAH!!!!!!!
    Kiwi would expect nothing less than total loathing of the all blacks from someone like me.

P.S. Hey Kiwi, how smart are the guys running your mob that Tahu wanted to play for them first but they showed no interest in him so he went to us.

Kiwi would expect nothing less than total loathing of the all blacks from someone like me.

P.S. Hey Kiwi, how smart are the guys running your mob that Tahu wanted to play for them first but they showed no interest in him so he went to us.
    What the fukk are you b!tches babbling about? Wallabies? Tahu? Sounds like Star Wars sh!t.

What the fukk are you b!tches babbling about? Wallabies? Tahu? Sounds like Star Wars sh!t.
    That's one reference to Star Wars to add to your ealier reference to LOTR in another thread. Just make a reference to Dugeons and Dragons and you will have the Nerd trifecta.

That's one reference to Star Wars to add to your ealier reference to LOTR in another thread. Just make a reference to Dugeons and Dragons and you will have the Nerd trifecta.
    You recognized the reference, and even have an acronymn for it, so that's kind of like being able to make fun of each of Justin Timberlake's songs in chronological order.

Loathing?

You gotta be kiddding. All Australian rugby players want to be All Blacks.

That's why you named your national side 'The Wannabees'. they all Wannabee All Blacks but have to settle for playing in that puke green and mustard colour you erroneously refer to as green and gold.

I'm really looking forward to the Bledisloe Cup. The scrums will be particularly satisfying. Matt Dunning and co (who make John Daly look like a super athlete) must really be looking forward to all the extra scrums under the ELV's.

Robbie Deans might be a decent coach but he can't push in the scrum's in place of that bunch of frauds you call a front row.

Now where the f#ck am I?

P.S. I trust you also enjoyed the S14 final.

BTW what does Lote Tiquiri get paid for again? Showing up with impressive dreadlocks? They're good but Bob Marley's were way better.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    I stand to be corrected but what I read was that Tiger has played these specs since he was a young amateur (when these lofts may have been the norm?) and whenever he changed manufacturer he insisted that the new company (be it Titleist or Nike) built a set of clubs to his specific requirements.

It reminds me of the great Pete Sampras. He played with the same crumby old Wilson Staff throughout his career, built specifically to his specs by Wilson long after that model had disappeared off the shelves of your local sports store.

Now where the f#ck am I?

A 50* PW hasnt been the norm since long before Tiger was born.

Thread Information