|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Walter Hagen Ultradyne II irons

Today I bought a set of Walter Hagen Ultradyne II irons online here in New Zealand. I was trying to find out more about this iron set but couldn't find much information except that these clubs are probably older than I am!

Does anyone know much about this iron set? Any comments or information is much appreciated!

John

I also attached a 1974 advertise of this set here.

They look like a classic blade design. How do they play and feel? My guess is that they would feel marvelous on a well struck shot, and would rattle you from your toenails to your dentures on a thin shot. Am I right or wrong?
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

wow

Those do look pretty nice.....I dont know if I woulda bought em but if you got a deal on em thats some good work....
    Upon further review GFF is a hack and will retire the players Bag....my new set:

Driver: 907 D2 w/V2 76 stiff
    3 wood: Burner TP Stiff 14.5*
    4-PW: Burner XD (Mizuno soon again)
    Wedges: 52/56 SV Tour black Satin
    Putter: S.C Santa Fe '97 Black Pearl
    Ball: ProV1x, Taylormade, Nike Ones

daveperk Guest
    they're not forged blades, and casting wasn't that great back then... I have to say, though, they look fabulous.

I remember very well playing a set of Haig Ultra 1 3 5 laminated woods with that plastic insert with the clear center and a brass emblem inside it... that was about 1975, and they weren't new... leather grips and all.. :-)

I do remember those irons but I never did hit them...

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    They look like a classic blade design. How do they play and feel? My guess is that they would feel marvelous on a well struck shot, and would rattle you from your toenails to your dentures on a thin shot. Am I right or wrong?
    Haven't get the chance to use it yet. I have been using TM Rac OS for about a year now. Was told that it is a good idea to play blade to get more feedback on my swing issues. So thought of getting a cheap blade set for practice. Didn't know that it is a ancient set until I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrainFlowForged
    Those do look pretty nice.....I dont know if I woulda bought em but if you got a deal on em thats some good work....
    I think I got a pretty good deal. I bought it for NZD62 (3-9, P, S, missing 8)

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    they're not forged blades, and casting wasn't that great back then... I have to say, though, they look fabulous.

I remember very well playing a set of Haig Ultra 1 3 5 laminated woods with that plastic insert with the clear center and a brass emblem inside it... that was about 1975, and they weren't new... leather grips and all.. :-)

I do remember those irons but I never did hit them...
    In the advertisement it says that it is a "investment-cast irons". So I guess it is a blade/muscleback design produced using investment-cast process.

Here are some more photos that I got off the internet.

Last edited by exodus_john; 07-12-2008 at 03:20 PM.

I worked in a pro shop for several years in the early/mid 70s and I cleaned a lot of Hagen clubs!! Very nice sticks.
    I actually bought a later version of the Ultradyne II sticks. The no hosel irons were so 'IN' back then.

Here's a website that has many vintage clubs.

http://www.clubsofdistinction.com/

I bought a set of Ultradyne II with leather grips in the early 1970s when I started playing and they managed to get me down to 10 within 2 years. As they were made by Wilson the pro matched them to a set of Wilson Woods and Putter. What I liked was that the clubhead 'felt' heavy and this helped my swing.
    I am still using them 37 years later - having had them reshafted twice, and regripped 4 times. They are still in great condition, although my Sand Iron is a bit chipped.
    My 'woods' have been updated over the years and I am currently using Wilson Graphite shafted metal woods.
    Sadly last year I lost my 5 iron, and am seeking to replace it - hence my coming across this discussion courtesy of Google.
    Exodus John - I would have made an offer to buy them - but New Zealand is a bit too far from Cyprus where I now live.

Another John.

Quote Originally Posted by Memory Lane
    I bought a set of Ultradyne II with leather grips in the early 1970s when I started playing and they managed to get me down to 10 within 2 years. As they were made by Wilson the pro matched them to a set of Wilson Woods and Putter. What I liked was that the clubhead 'felt' heavy and this helped my swing.
    I am still using them 37 years later - having had them reshafted twice, and regripped 4 times. They are still in great condition, although my Sand Iron is a bit chipped.
    My 'woods' have been updated over the years and I am currently using Wilson Graphite shafted metal woods.
    Sadly last year I lost my 5 iron, and am seeking to replace it - hence my coming across this discussion courtesy of Google.
    Exodus John - I would have made an offer to buy them - but New Zealand is a bit too far from Cyprus where I now live.

Another John.
    I have quite a few vintage sets although none of these. I keep an eye on ebay (U.S.) for sets, and these are not that uncommon. There are of course different models of them but all the same they are not that hard to find. Sets usually go for between $30 and $90 usd depending on condition.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Another John.
    37 years and only 4 regrips? I regrip at least once per year and most times twice.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Was told that it is a good idea to play blade to get more feedback on my swing issues.

This would be true of course. And, don't be listening to closely to any English type chaps on this board who would tell you differently.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Was told that it is a good idea to play blade to get more feedback on my swing issues.

This would be true of course. And, don't be listening to closely to any English type chaps on this board who would tell you differently.
    That's absolutely right. Playing blades should be a required rite of passage for all golfers. If someone can play with blades on a weekly or biweekly basis for at least 4 months and doesn't give up the game in disgust and frustration, he or she is a true dyed in the wool golf fanatic, and deserves to have a significant reward........like being able to choose a set of irons that doesn't punish them and their upper extremity joints on slight mis-hits........
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I remember those clubs very well. They have the same drawback as another very popular (albeit quite different) iron of the same era, the Spalding Executive. Over-hosel shafts. Nobody around today knows how to reshaft them.

I think that the Haig Ultra model was forged because they were a sister club to the Wilson Staff back when Pepsi-Cola owned Wilson Sporting Goods. The Ultradyne II was investment cast with a shaft over hosel design like the original Wilson 1200, then a pro-line club. Unlike the 1200, however, the Ulradyne II had a mirror finish to look as if it were forged and chromed. (Good to have an old guy around, huh?)

In any case, they had a very good reputation at the time.
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 02-04-2009 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    I remember those clubs very well. They have the same drawback as another very popular (albeit quite different) iron of the same era, the Spalding Executive. Over-hosel shafts. Nobody around today knows how to reshaft them.

I think that the Haig Ultra model was forged because they were a sister club to the Wilson Staff back when Pepsi-Cola owned Wilson Sporting Goods. The Ultradyne II was investment cast with a shaft over hosel design like the original Wilson 1200, then a pro-line club. Unlike the 1200, however, the Ulradyne II had a mirror finish to look as if it were forged and chromed. (Good to have an old guy around, huh?)

In any case, they had a very good reputation at the time.
    Nifty mate, nice to see you are still with us.

I heard you had left so i am surprised and really pleased to see you havent.

Regards

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Another John.
    Speaking of eery, towards the end of my marriage, I used to sign notes to my wife the exact same way.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Speaking of eery, towards the end of my marriage, I used to sign notes to my wife the exact same way.

Your wife says to send her regards . . . . . at least I think that is what she said as she was biting the pillow.

Hagan Ultradyne's

The Ultradyne's were ahead of their time. The "Pepsi" swirl shaft worked to counter the torque of a golf swing and impact. The iron heads were solid and the shafts fit into the heads smoothly, with no hosel.

These are some of the sweetest irons you can ever hit. They failed to take off due to investment cast clubs hitting the market at about the same time as these came out.

I have a full set of Ultradyne's I'd sell for $200 obo. I love them but, as a golf nut, i have too many in my garage. ;)

Thread Information