|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Hybrid replacement for 3-wood

I'm getting sick of my 3-wood it just acts like my driver but doesn't go as far...The hybrid that I have right now is automatic always down the middle, but there is just too big of a gap between my driver and 2 iron replacement. I don't think that they make a 15* hybrid in my model (I've been looking online) so I'm trying to get some input on some hybrids that might work out for me. Just thought I would ask some of you guys because hybrids are the one thing that I haven't looked into all that much...I'm scratch and can play pretty much anything you put in front of me but I want something alittle forgiving but looks nice to an experienced player.
    My Bag:

Driver- Titleist 907 D1 10.5 YS-6+ S
    3-wood- Titleist 906f2 Diamana S
    Hybrid- Cleveland Halo 2i S
    3-PW Cleveland TA1's X100
    54*- Cleveland 588 TSC Blackshafts
    60*- Cleveland 588 DSG
    Putter- Rife Two Bar Hybrid Belly
    Ball- Pro V1x
    Handicap: +.7

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    I use a 15* G10 hybrid and love it. you should demo it.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

My 21* G10 is awesome too, but as a 15 I use a low-profile 3w (see sig).
    Lefty:
    Driver - TM Burner 10.5
    3-Wood - TM r580
    Hybrid - Ping G10 21*
    4-PW - '06 Callaway Big Bertha (steel)
    60 - Cleveland CG11 2 dot
    Ping Tour W 56/10 and 52/12
    TM Rossa Monza Spider

Winn G8 grips

Go ahead and dog my setup while you shank your 3i and push putts with your anser.

Bridgestone Tour B330 RX - best ball ever
    Callaway Weekender bag
    Sky Caddie SG3
    Opus X

15.5 and falling

Quote Originally Posted by iWILLbeatU64
    I'm getting sick of my 3-wood it just acts like my driver but doesn't go as far...
    What were you expecting?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    What were you expecting?
    I was expecting it to be more accurate...
    My Bag:

60*- Cleveland 588 DSG
    Ball- Pro V1x

ummmmmm

I was expecting it to be more accurate...
    I forget where I read it (golfdigest maybe?) but todays 3 woods are no more accurate than todays drivers.......I dont believe that but I did read it and the points were somewhat validated.
    Upon further review GFF is a hack and will retire the players Bag....my new set:

Driver: 907 D2 w/V2 76 stiff
    3 wood: Burner TP Stiff 14.5*
    4-PW: Burner XD (Mizuno soon again)
    Wedges: 52/56 SV Tour black Satin
    Putter: S.C Santa Fe '97 Black Pearl
    Ball: ProV1x, Taylormade, Nike Ones

Quote Originally Posted by GrainFlowForged
    I forget where I read it (golfdigest maybe?) but todays 3 woods are no more accurate than todays drivers.......I dont believe that but I did read it and the points were somewhat validated.
    OK? I don't care what golfdigest or anyone says i don't hit mine that well so i want a hybrid replacement...u don't have to be a ****ing dick about it all i wanted was some input on what hybrids people like and don't like! And to be honest I don't care what a 13 year old 12 handicapper read about in golf digest!
    My Bag:

60*- Cleveland 588 DSG
    Ball- Pro V1x

OK? I don't care what golfdigest or anyone says i don't hit mine that well so i want a hybrid replacement...u don't have to be a ****ing dick about it all i wanted was some input on what hybrids people like and don't like! And to be honest I don't care what a 13 year old 12 handicapper read about in golf digest!
    I can tell you what DIDN'T work for me when I tried this maneuver: the Callaway Heavenwood. I found the club to be supremely unforgiving between fat and thin shots. I've never played a more unforgiving hybrid, or fairway wood, for that matter.
    I have no other experience with really low lofted hybrids. However, a reshaft of an existing club can totally alter its playing characteristics, and might be the magic bullet. Is the shaft on your 3 wood OEM, or an aftermarket shaft? If it is an OEM, chances are it is higher torque than it states, and could easily be at least one flex soft to stated flex. If you know a competent clubmaker in your area, a reshaft could be much less expensive than an all new club. You'd probably gain much of the accuracy you are seeking without giving up any significant distance with a reshaft.
    Think of it as an option to consider, and good luck.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Made the same move bout a year ago now. Went with a Mizuno Fli-hi 17* - much more controlled than my 3 wood (obviously giving up a few yards, but take it off the t, fairway, even the right rough) - great decision as far as I am concerned.

Hope it helped

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Kotes
    Made the same move bout a year ago now. Went with a Mizuno Fli-hi 17* - much more controlled than my 3 wood (obviously giving up a few yards, but take it off the t, fairway, even the right rough) - great decision as far as I am concerned.

Hope it helped
    I used to play a 17 degree Mizuno MP UX 2, the Japanese version of the CLK Fli Hi Mizunos available in the US. I agree completely with the idea of giving up a few yards in exchange for accuracy vs. a 15 degree 3 wood.
    Now I'm playing a Tour Edge Exotics 15 degree 3 wood, reshafted with an Ozik Matrix X-Con 7, and previously played the same head with a Fuji 757. This is an unusually easy to hit, long, and accurate 3 wood; the best I've ever played. However, the OEM shaft on the TEE is too lightweight and flexible for my needs. This head can be picked up off e-bay for fairly cheap prices these days, since they brought out the newer CB2 head (which I don't like nearly as well as the original.) But that head with a 75-85 gram low-mid torque aftermarket shaft (for instance the Aldila NV 75) will outplay the vast majority of fairway woods out there, and won't cost an arm and a leg. Again, getting the right shaft is crucial, whether one is going to play either a fairway wood or use the hybrid option.
    I absolutely love my Alpha Rx Low Pro hybrids, but they only go down to 19 degrees, so they don't help in the current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I can tell you what DIDN'T work for me when I tried this maneuver: the Callaway Heavenwood. I found the club to be supremely unforgiving between fat and thin shots. I've never played a more unforgiving hybrid, or fairway wood, for that matter.
    I have no other experience with really low lofted hybrids. However, a reshaft of an existing club can totally alter its playing characteristics, and might be the magic bullet. Is the shaft on your 3 wood OEM, or an aftermarket shaft? If it is an OEM, chances are it is higher torque than it states, and could easily be at least one flex soft to stated flex. If you know a competent clubmaker in your area, a reshaft could be much less expensive than an all new club. You'd probably gain much of the accuracy you are seeking without giving up any significant distance with a reshaft.
    Think of it as an option to consider, and good luck.
    My 3 wood actually has a fujikura vista pro Stiff shaft that I put in it about a year ago...i thought i would give it a try because my golf coach gave it to me for free but the performance really hasn't changed all that much! To be honest I think it's completely mental I just feel more uncomfortable over a wood for some reason, I've always been more confident with an iron in my hand so anything that resembles anything like an iron will make me feel more comfortable...thanks alot for the input though!!
    My Bag:

60*- Cleveland 588 DSG
    Ball- Pro V1x

My 3 wood actually has a fujikura vista pro Stiff shaft that I put in it about a year ago...i thought i would give it a try because my golf coach gave it to me for free but the performance really hasn't changed all that much! To be honest I think it's completely mental I just feel more uncomfortable over a wood for some reason, I've always been more confident with an iron in my hand so anything that resembles anything like an iron will make me feel more comfortable...thanks alot for the input though!!
    If you want an iron based hybrid, there are fewer options than wood based hybrids, but there are still plenty of choices. However, when you want a low lofted iron based hybrid, the numbers shrink. Perhaps you could think in terms of a 4 wood instead of a 5 wood replacement, and consider clubs with 15-17 degrees, instead of just 15 degrees.
    One possibility might be the Wishon 785 HF hybrid 2 iron at 17 degrees. It's an iron based hybrid. I have no experience with it per se, but I have been very happy with my Wishon 560 MC irons, and have had good experiences with Wishon drivers and fairway woods. If that has kindled the slightest interest, p-mail me and I'd give you the name of the guy who has sold me my Wishon clubs.

lowest adams has is a 16* hybrid (you could bend it lower)

lowest nickent has is a 14* (the 15.5*)

lowest tour edge has is a 16*

TM has some 15*'s

need i go on... point is yes there are plenty of options out there if you want a similar loft hybrid

I had the Cleveland Halo 0-iron/ 14* in stiff flex. I also have the Halo 2-iron/ 19*. I love the 19*, but I didn't have the clubhead speed to hit the 0-iron off the turf. I sold my 0-iron to a younger/stronger low handicapper that thought he loved his 3-wood until he hit this club. It gives him better control and a little more distance than his 3-wood. Should be able to pick one up off e-bay for 50 bucks or so.

geez

I was just saying that 3 woods today arent any more accurate then drivers these days. Lighten the f**k up. How was my comment in any way being a dick?
    Upon further review GFF is a hack and will retire the players Bag....my new set:

Quote Originally Posted by GrainFlowForged
    I was just saying that 3 woods today arent any more accurate then drivers these days. Lighten the f**k up. How was my comment in any way being a dick?
    Sry misread your post I thought you said that 3 woods are more accurate than drivers...forget i said anything!
    My Bag:

60*- Cleveland 588 DSG
    Ball- Pro V1x

lol

Sry misread your post I thought you said that 3 woods are more accurate than drivers...forget i said anything!
    alright ill try to forgive u...

Thread Information