|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

X-20 Tours, R7 TPs or MX 25/57s, which to improve with?

Hi, Guess I should introduce myself at the same time as this post as I'll probably be hanging around a lot as there is some useful advice on these forums.

I have just started up golf, only been playing 4 weeks after buying myself a pretty basic iron set off of eBay to see if I'd enjoy it, and have to say I am already addicted. I was after some advice regarding some good irons to improve with. I have been and will continue to play around 5 times a week as I am fortunate enough to live about 2 minutes walk from a course, its nothing special but its good enough to practice on and improve my game on. I am also going to be taking regular lessons so I don't get into any bad habits and basically I was wondering if anyone could recommend any irons that I can improve with but at the same time I wont want to replace in 6 months time when I am looking for something a little better, and something that forces me to work on my swing and game.

I was looking at either some Taylormade R7 TPs or Callaway X-20 Tours, possibly Mizuno MP-57s basically something that once I'm a little better I can work the ball a bit but still have a some forgiveness while I'm learning but would consider other clubs recommended. I haven't done any swing speed testing yet but will do that soon but I'm 6'3" and hit a 9 iron about ~140 with a clean shot. I have a bit of a slice although I'd say I hit straight about 70/80% of the time with my irons but I'm hoping lessons will sort that out.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Rich.
    Last edited by RichValentine; 07-20-2008 at 01:11 AM.

Bought myself a set of Mizuno MP 30s, used but in very good condition for ~$195 after seeing the good reviews on this site. Very happy and looking forward to improving with them. Anyone here had much experience with them?

If you're about to take regular lessons, I'd ask the person from whom you take lessons. He/she will know your swing inside & out. Also, if you're 6' 3" you'll probably want to get fitted for lie & loft. You can develop some really bad habits with poor fitting clubs. Good luck!

take lessons, and ignore most of what you read on the internet or golf magazines.
    get classic looking matted forged "player's" cavity backs (stay away over-sized) that are customized for your swing.
    forged are no better than cast, but they do look better and can be adjusted by a pro to a wider degree.
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Thread Information