|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Golf Club/Ball Fitting experiences? Please share

Ok, I was planning on going to Hot Stix (they now have several locations besides Phoenix/Scottsdale), and also have ball flight testing/viewing. Outside on range v. just inside with monitors. I didn't make it in Spring, early Summer as planned, so stayed with my current sticks. These were results of club fitting by master PGA professional in Oklahoma and are mainly Titleist/Cobra clubs. Taking into account my course; staying with a true 14 club limit, I have been using 4 woods (driver, 3 wood, 5wood/hybrid and higher loft hybrid), irons 5-PW, and 3 additional wedges (all Vokeys, 52 as gap, 56SW and 60LW). I cut down my Oddysey White Hot putter 1" to 34". I'm only 5'8" tall.

Did you know that Golf Galaxy advertises a ball fitting which they take off your ball flight and monitor readings?

Has anyone had any experiences with all over club fitting or total fitting (woods, irons, putter)? Please relay those. Has anyone done the ball fitting at Golf Galaxy or anywhere else? What ball did you play and what ball did they recommend? Any experiences?

I think the best way to see what ball best suits your game is to just go out and use them on the course. Unlike clubs, balls are a cheap purchase, so if you try a new ball and it doesn't suit your game there is no great financial loss.

Personally I try to keep my selections down to two balls. One premium ball for big events or when the greens are hard and fast, and another less expensive ball which is still suitable for general play on standard course set ups. At the moment I am using the new Srixon ZUR-S as my gamer and the titleist NXT Tour for everything else.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Welp,,

I think the best way to see what ball best suits your game is to just go out and use them on the course. Unlike clubs, balls are a cheap purchase, so if you try a new ball and it doesn't suit your game there is no great financial loss.
    What Nota Hacker said.....

but,,,,,,,,,,,,

I would advise anyone who has been playing for several years and has
    developed a good grip, posture, stance and good swing mechanics
    to visit a professional clubmaker. I personally have seen a huge improvement
    in my game over the past 7 years. They can measure your ball launch angle,
    ball speed, ball trajectory, clubhead speed, if your club face be open or closed at ball impact and adjust the shaft flex to correct and/or improve slices/hooks fades or draws.

There's "NOT" a professional on tour who plays clubs (off the shelf) so to speak....
    but what do I know, I been playin' on and off for 30 years and still gotta handicap.

And someday I'll learn to use this board.....lol

Fitting for the right ball is almost as important as fitting for your clubs. The beauty of using a LM for ball fitting you is you can see things you dont see on the course. With the use of the LM you can fine tune you LA, angle of descent, spin rates, ball speed and so on. The differences on a ball to ball basis would surprise a lot of people.

All those things Lyle said are on the mark, but a big thing for me personally when it comes to ball selection is the feel of the ball off the putter, which can't be determined from a launch monitor. I would agree that it is good to know what type of ball should suit your game, but it always comes to how it feels on the course.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I'm very skeptical of your choice of words there Lyle... I really can't imagine the premium balls being that different a game maker as compared to club/shaft fitting. They may be different but to compare the results to having a proper or improper shaft? Maybe if you throw range balls and "top rocks" into the mix but most serious golfers don't play anything so cheap.

Would I be wrong in saying the difference in a Pro-V, B330s, Cally itour, Nike One comes down to personal preference and endorsements (for the pro's). Once you choose a ball you like you would learn how it reacts and feels....

I dunno, but I'm certain I would rather spend my money on an LM session to gleam knowledge on shafts and clubs over balls any day of the week.

Exaggeration on your part or should I really spend time figuring out what "top dollar" ball fits my game? I refuse to play any of the daily knock around balls as I personally HATE putting with them.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

I'm with you n-man. I could gain ten yards on a drive by changing my shaft/ball but it's really not going to change my score? I've been fitted for a shaft/ball and my spin rate is a bit slow for my swing speed but I don't really see how an extra 10 yards in drive distance is going to change my score when I miss those 4 foot putts. I understand what you're saying L-g but it doesn't equate to better scores for me.

Thread Information