|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Soft Conditions

Soft Conditions

Was wondering if anyone out there modified their game for play in soft conditions. I regularly play in VT where the ground is hard and fast, but am on vacation now and playing courses that have tremendous irrigation.

I find myself taking larger than normal divots, even on swings that I don't really go after the ball, and I have the tendency to hit some shots a little heavy. (mostly short pitches) I am assuming, without too much analysis, that these heavy shots are caused by a deceleration through the ball, but I am not sure. I'd say I hit about 2 of these per round. I am really making an extra effort to try and pick the ball clean and take very little divot. Has anyone else had to modify the way they strike the ball under these conditions, and if so what do you do? Thanks!

I'd recommend narrowing your stance a little. By standing taller you're lifting the plane of your swing from the ground a tad. You wouldn't be altering your swing so you'd be more inclined to take a relaxed swing instead of attempting to pick the ball clean.

Quote Originally Posted by VTDivot
    Was wondering if anyone out there modified their game for play in soft conditions. I regularly play in VT where the ground is hard and fast, but am on vacation now and playing courses that have tremendous irrigation.

I find myself taking larger than normal divots, even on swings that I don't really go after the ball, and I have the tendency to hit some shots a little heavy. (mostly short pitches) I am assuming, without too much analysis, that these heavy shots are caused by a deceleration through the ball, but I am not sure. I'd say I hit about 2 of these per round. I am really making an extra effort to try and pick the ball clean and take very little divot. Has anyone else had to modify the way they strike the ball under these conditions, and if so what do you do? Thanks!
    VT,

I too experience very soft conditions on the course, particularly in the spring or late fall, and it can have a disastrous effect on my shorter shots, especially mid-range pitches or full sand wedges.

All that I've been able to come up with is to take a little more club than I would normally play and "nip" the ball, using a low, running shot instead of the high spinner. In some especially wet circumstances, I've likened the ground firmness to cold oatmeal. When it's like that, if I've tried a SW and it dug in too much, I backed off to PW, then to 9-iron, and so forth. It might not be ideal to hit a low, running shot when the pin is tucked close to a bunker or hazard, but anywhere on the green is preferable to leaving a 40-yard shot 20 yards in front.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33
    I'd recommend narrowing your stance a little. By standing taller you're lifting the plane of your swing from the ground a tad. You wouldn't be altering your swing so you'd be more inclined to take a relaxed swing instead of attempting to pick the ball clean.
    This will also flatten your swing plane, which promotes a a shallower divot.

Thread Information