|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

LPGA's "No big deal" becoming a point of controversy?

Some of your views might be seen in "The Small Things" thread, but this new policy by the LPGA has been the talk of sports radio, on the Golf Channel, on ESPN, etc.

Since WHEN has English not been the native language, official or otherwise of the U.S.? The LPGA establishes a policy and all the talking heads seem to think discrimination is occurring? I think the liberal media had gotten all of us thinking that if a PRIVATE body implements a rule regarding membership or language or any sort of requirement, then IT MUST BE DISCRIMINATORY because it just "sounds" like it.

First, not that it matters, but the LPGA is a private governing body of a sports tour.........it's not some government agency. Second, since when was "not speaking" English one of the protected classifications against which discrimination is prohibitted? It's not prohibitting membership based upon race, nationality, sex, etc. The protected classifications. And the LPGA better do something quick before it loses any MORE tournaments or sponsors!

It's not very pleasant if a winner of a tournament can't speak or won't at a press conference without an interpreter. Or they can't really participate well with their pro-am partners who have paid 1000's of dollars to play with them. How can a sponsor who may have paid umpteen more dollars, expect value from an LPGA player for their clients or customers who CAN NOT converse in English!

Now, first, the LPGA might not have implemented the policy in the best way, but the Golfweek author who flamed the controversy and wrote the article ADMITTED that she got it wrong (that the LPGA was yanking the cards of non-english speaking players) rather that they were subject to suspension AFTER two years, and AFTER they had the opportunity to be tutored, given notice, etc. They didn't ask them to pass a college English proficiency exam or become fluent; they have only asked that they reach an acceptable "understanding" of the language so they could be understood in a common manner.

First, I don't care if this DOES affect Asians more; that's only because there are more ASIAN players on the LPGA....it wasn't directed at Asian players; it was directed at every player or every international player, no matter what nationality. And before you think that I'm prejudiced, please know that I am Asian myself (though born in the U.S.); my grand parents emigrated here (and learned the language!).

This seems to be more Democratic, Liberal Horse Manure and I'm surprised that the Democrats in covention in Denver havn't promised to "regulate" the LPGA...........what a crock of S* H* I* T* and what a bunch of hot air/c*r*a*p* as to the overreaction to this policy by any media member.

ANY COMMENTS????

I am NO fan of political correctness, but consider another scenario. An American golfer plays in a tournament in Asia, Europe, or Dubai. Will he be able to speak the local language?
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

It's only controversial because the media and the talking heads have made it so. A slow news week as we wait for the Ryder Cup captain's picks, the Tour is between tournaments, and no Tiger equals nothing of substance to fill air time. The networks need to scrape the bottom of the barrel to attract viewership. Didn't this story actually appear in the magazine a couple of months back? If so, why wait until now to bring it to the fore? Newsworthy? Yes. Controversial? Perhaps. Earth shattering? No. This story will be dead in a week.

If news is that slow why not go with "Sergio chokes" for another week leading into the Ryder Cup picks?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    If news is that slow why not go with "Sergio chokes" for another week leading into the Ryder Cup picks?
    NAH

I can see you are close to 2000 posts so what the hell i will help you get there

I cant see Sergio denigrated like this. He is a total wanker, i will accept that but in terms of choking he aint in Normans league.

Also in Ryder Cup year i need Sergio full of confidence. If he reads this Choking nonsense (and i know he reads GRR) it could affect his confidence.

As such i am issuing a decree, until after the Ryder Cup there will be no more Sergio bashing. Or else

Edgey (Concerned for Omens Mental Health)
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Yeah and how dare the new world tennis no.1 Rafael Nadal turn up at press conferences and speak pigeon English or his native tongue Spanish. The world tennis governing body should revoke his world No.1 status until he can speak the Queens English and give great interviews.

Never mind that he is a brilliant tennis player and has consistently beaten Roger Federer over the past 12 months. Until he can give great interviews on TV they should ignore his tournament results. Being the best in the world at your chosen sport just doesn't cut it anymore.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

The only English golf news I get here in Japan is Golf Central, hence the lack of Sergio bashing since TaylorMade & Adidas are program sponsors. Kiwi has hit the mark, as I definitely do not see the LPGA's decision having any effect on any other sport, including the men's tour. If a player can't speak English, keep them away from the pro-ams. I somehow can't see the Mariners or the Yankees suspending Ichiro or Matsui for their inability to give a good interview.

Seemed a little strange to me when I read about this. I didn't know that women actually played professional golf.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I sure hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Monkey
    It's only controversial because the media and the talking heads have made it so. A slow news week as we wait for the Ryder Cup captain's picks, the Tour is between tournaments, and no Tiger equals nothing of substance to fill air time. The networks need to scrape the bottom of the barrel to attract viewership. Didn't this story actually appear in the magazine a couple of months back? If so, why wait until now to bring it to the fore? Newsworthy? Yes. Controversial? Perhaps. Earth shattering? No. This story will be dead in a week.
    You would think it WASN'T that big a deal; but Golf Channel won't leave it alone. Shoot on their discussion boards, there must be 500 posts on this topic.

Oh, I'm sorry....press 2 if you want to read this post in spanish

I am so SICK of political correctness and media talking heads claiming EVERYTHING is discrimination. I went back to Title VII and still don't see that "failure to speak English" is listed as a protected classification (such as race, national origin, religion, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    NAH
    Also in Ryder Cup year i need Sergio full of confidence. If he reads this Choking nonsense (and i know he reads GRR) it could affect his confidence.
    I'm with you Edgey, I really am. But for us to have Sergio in top form we need to hit this choking thing hard, really hard. We've got to hit him with it when he's standing up, when he's lying down, while he's grabbing his ankles and when he's kind of tilted a little bit on his side (yes it's nauseating to think of Sergio in different postions). We've got to get this through him like sh!t through a goose. Then, and only then, can he develop multiple personality disorder and have the option of choosing a new one that doesn't choke.

The LPGA is made up of private contractors, and there main star is retiring (Anika). The Lpga is thinking about sponsers and keeping this organization running. This tour is getting filled up with alot of asian players who can't give an interview in english. How much sense does it make to have a tour event winner speaking a foreign language when the main audience is english speaking. If you ask me it a smart move.

I would like for the sergio who has competed so exceptionally the last couple of weeks to show up for the ryder Cup
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Taylormade v-steel copy 3 & 5 wood
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    Tayormade 2007 Burner 10.5 Driver
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    NAH

I can see you are close to 2000 posts so what the hell i will help you get there

I cant see Sergio denigrated like this. He is a total wanker, i will accept that but in terms of choking he aint in Normans league.

As such i am issuing a decree, until after the Ryder Cup there will be no more Sergio bashing. Or else

Edgey (Concerned for Omens Mental Health)
    Sergio is only 28 years old and is already second to Norman for big time chokes in majors. The only thing that may stop him surpassing the Shark and going down as the greatest choker in history is that he isn't as good a golfer as Norman so he won't be in contention as often as the Shark. But when you consider he is currently 0 from 38 or so, and his best golfing (choking) years are still ahead of him, you may be eating some humble pie as the years go by my non-bathing friend.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    If Obama wins the presidency, this effort will be in vain. They will have to learn Spanish, not English.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Since the LPGA is an American run organization, (see the A in LPGA) then the primary language should be English. If you speak another language, congratulations.. But please, learn how to communicate with tournament sponsors and others in English. If I played in the Japan PGA, I'd have to learn Japanese and wouldn't think twice to argue about it. I'd be terrible at first, and I'd have a translator like some of these other players do in the mean time until I was self-sufficient, but I'd learn the language.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    Since the LPGA is an American run organization, (see the A in LPGA) then the primary language should be English. If you speak another language, congratulations.. But please, learn how to communicate with tournament sponsors and others in English. If I played in the Japan PGA, I'd have to learn Japanese and wouldn't think twice to argue about it. I'd be terrible at first, and I'd have a translator like some of these other players do in the mean time until I was self-sufficient, but I'd learn the language.
    you go girl
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Thread Information