|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

A moment of clarity

I know writing a serious thread topic might be a little out of character for me, but over the weekend I had one of those moments alcoholics and substance abusers refer to as a moment of clarity, when suddeenly the haze lifts and everything seems clear. My moment of clarity was swing related but just as profound.

For my entire golfing life I have struggled with consistency. My best shots were as good as anybody I've ever played with, but I could never hit pure strikes consistently. Like most obsessive golfers, I spend nearly all my waking hours thinking about the swing, rehearsing the swing in my mind, practising the swing or the shoulder turn, or the pivot, or the wieght shift etc etc. On Friday I was bathing my little one, and as I walked to the other sink I practised my wieght shift and for some reason thought about letting my head lift up naturally in the followthrough instead of concentrating on keepng it down way past impact. It was like a light went on and nearly twenty years of searching for the answer to the meaning of golf had finally paid off. It felt so right. I played yesterday and tried to work on letting the head come up on the follow through and the difference was unbelieveable. My ball striking improved out of sight and it felt so easy to get through the ball and finish with all my weight balanced over my left foot. I actually didn't score so well as I was consistently through the green (hit heaps in the middle but the greens were like trampolines and bounced staright through). Sorry for the long winded post but this one thing was such a breakthrough I had to tell it the way it happened. For anyone who struggles with consistency but can hit pure shots I would guarantee that restricting the head coming up after impact could be your problem.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    I'll make note of that when I play this Friday. I'm not sure what my head does exactly through impact, but I know I stay pretty well centered over the ball. I wish I could figure out why I pull my irons. That's my miss. Especially with the short irons.

Thanks for the info, but this post is way too serious for a GR thread so I'll add this to distinguish it from SHITTALK:

CAST POS SGI irons are for sod-laying iron cover toting choppers.

There, much better.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    I'll make note of that when I play this Friday. I'm not sure what my head does exactly through impact, but I know I stay pretty well centered over the ball. I wish I could figure out why I pull my irons. That's my miss. Especially with the short irons.

Thanks for the info, but this post is way too serious for a GR thread so I'll add this to distinguish it from SHITTALK:

CAST POS SGI irons are for sod-laying iron cover toting choppers.

There, much better.
    At impact the head should be behind the ball or centred over it, but just try to have the feeling of the head coming up to follow the flight of the ball after it leaves the clubface. It just helps to get the weight shifting to the left side. I also straighten the left leg to stand tall on the follow through which helps keep a firm left side. Apologies for the tone of the thread, but as I said it was such a profound moment for me I had to keep it serious, cheers for the necessary amendments to make it GR worthy.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I also straighten the left leg to stand tall on the follow through which helps keep a firm left side.
    Careful with that. Don't develop the snap up that trashed Tiger's knee. oh...and.um. hybrids are gay.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Careful with that. Don't develop the snap up that trashed Tiger's knee. oh...and.um. hybrids are gay.
    only if they replace long irons. carry on.

I take on board what you are saying HS, but I just stand up tall to get a firm left side. I certainly don't hyper extend the knee as I've had left knee problems all my life and would never do anything that places pressure on it. I think you will find that most tour pros straighten their left leg through impact but only Tiger had the snap move to get extra distance.

P.S. The only thing gayer than Ping irons are Ping irons with graphite shafts.

I take on board what you are saying HS, but I just stand up tall to get a firm left side. I certainly don't hyper extend the knee as I've had left knee problems all my life and would never do anything that places pressure on it. I think you will find that most tour pros straighten their left leg through impact but only Tiger had the snap move to get extra distance.

P.S. The only thing gayer than Ping irons are Ping irons with graphite shafts.
    The only thing gayer than Ping irons with graphite shafts are Ping irons with graphite shafts with headcovers.

The only thing gayer than Ping irons with graphite shafts are Ping irons with graphite shafts with headcovers.
    The only thing gayer than that is if you replaced 'irons' with 'hybrids' and put 'regular' in front of 'graphite shafts'.

I know writing a serious thread topic might be a little out of character for me, but over the weekend I had one of those moments alcoholics and substance abusers refer to as a moment of clarity, when suddeenly the haze lifts and everything seems clear. My moment of clarity was profound.
    So what substances do you abuse?
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

only if they replace long irons. carry on.
    So I can replace my 9 iron with a hybrid and not be gay. How about if I put the 9 hybrid on an X100. Gotta stay in the pink can't go brown.
    2 tears in a bucket

Quote Originally Posted by jesse.day
    So I can replace my 9 iron with a hybrid and not be gay. How about if I put the 9 hybrid on an X100. Gotta stay in the pink can't go brown.
    Personally, I'd recommend using a hybrid putter......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I personally prefer the John Daly irons. I've had about ten phone calls from friends who found a good deal at Wal Mart on bag in a box John Daly's. Normally I like to mix it up with disinformation but in this case I had to tell them the truth. DO NOT BUY CLUBS AT WALMART. So I guess the only thing gayer that ping irons with regular in front of graphite and headcovers is bag in a box rollbacks at Walmart.

He got about 195 yards left, cinderella boy, he's gonna use about an 8 iron here. Oh he definitely got all of that.
    2 tears in a bucket

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    So what substances do you abuse?
    Nothing for the last ten years or so. Before that just beer, but that was enough. Nevr actually had an alcoholic moment of clarity, just used alcoholism as a comparison.

Thread Information