|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Beginner Irons: Armour 845s or Hybrid based?

I'm very new to golf, have only played a full 18 holes once, but I'd like to continue to play a couple times a month. I shot about 30 over, but showed potential on some holes

I've been browsing around the forum and it seems the Tommy Armour 845s would be a good set of irons for me. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money and they're a good bang for the buck I've read. I figure it's better to piece together some older/better used clubs than buy some random Jack Nicklaus beginner set at costco. However, I imagine I should try a hybrid and it'd be more economical to get a set of hybrid irons then, no? I'm really only looking to spend about $125ish on irons though.

On another note, anyone got any recommendations for a good bang for the buck driver or putter?

If you think you are going to really enjoy the sport, save your money, go get fitted and buy a good set of clubs. Don't waste your time and money trying to hit clubs that don't fit you. Probably not what you wanted to hear but having made the same mistake myself several years ago, it is the best advice I can give.
    Hi Bore 9.5
    Callaway Steelhead III 3W
    MP-32 3-PW
    MP-R 52, 56, 60
    Never Compromise GM2 Exchange #4

For a beginner, I would spend money on lessons first to avoid bad habits. Just like others, I strongly suggest that you get fitted, especially the lie angle of the club head, it has made a huge difference in my game. Nothing wrong with buying good used clubs from eBay, lots of good used clubs on eBay, Callaway clubs are very easy and forgiving, especially the 2000 BB and X-16, should be able to get them for less than 200... and if needed, get them bend to your lie angle. Personnaly, I would wait until you really committ to the game and break 100 first then reward yourself with a brand new iron set... Good luck

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Good advice on getting fitted, lessons, and all of that. However I would suggest not going the way of the chunky oversized clubs, rather get some blade irons. They are training aids as well as solid clubs. SGI irons will only help you ingrain bad habits and you'll regret it in the end. Blades may embarrass & humiliate you at the start, but if you practice you'll get used to them and learn a proper golf swing to promote solid ball striking. You'll be thanking me later.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

I think 845's are perfect beginners clubs.
    Unless you are either abnormally short or tall, I wouldn't worry about getting fitted right away. Once you learn how to swing the club consistently, you'll probably want new irons and that's when you should get fitted.
    A good bang for the buck driver would be anything square faced and 460cc from a couple years ago. Maybe a Callaway X or a Ping G2.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I agree with Balls. If you don't get fitted you might want to go to ping and use their web fit program. It's not perfect but will give you ball park figures for shaft length, grip size, and lie angle.
    http://www.pinggolf.com/fitting/webfit.aspx

Be prepared, if you buy these clubs and get into the sport you'll probably be looking at new clubs again next year.

Justin...I was in your boat two months ago as well.

I have no problem recommending the 845's. They were designed by John Hoeflich, the guy who designed my irons (Nickent 3dx Pro), the Taylormade RAC irons and the Titleist DCI irons. Needless to say, I think the ones you've chosen and leaps and bounds better than some of the newer stuff Tommy Armour/Sport Authority are putting out.

True, being fitted would be best for you...but if you're average size and have a fairly average stance, a standard size iron set will give you a few years of playing. I started with a hand-me-down set of Wilsons that were way too short. I then borrowed a set of Mizunos that were bent two degrees flat and then finally purchased my own Nickent irons (for $175 on eBay, free shipping) and couldn't be happier with my decision. They fit me perfectly. You may consider those irons also, by the way. They may be around your price range and with the Nippon steel shafts, they play excellent.

Anyway, I have no doubt that getting custom fitted would be ideal...but for me, it wasn't possible on my budget. My "standard" sized irons do the job for me perfectly. I recently shot an 89 at my local course, which is my best score so far. :-)

-Collin-
    In the bag:

Nickent 4DX SE 9* (Proforce V2 S)
    Callaway X 3w
    Nike Slingshot 2i Hybrid
    Nike Sumo2 4i Hybrid
    Nickent 3dx Pro Irons Nippon Steel Shafts
    Taylormade RAC TP 52*
    Sonartec T35 56*
    Callaway X-Tour 60* (PM Grind, MD Grooves!)
    Carbite Polar Balanced Putter (Thank you, Big 5)
    Ball: Whatever I found in the creek, or Callaway Pro V1X
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i think that the 845's would serve you just fine... plenty of forgiveness and good price too... if youre happy with the way they feel and preform i say go for it...

BJ has given you some sound advice. Steer clear of the shovels. I think everybody has it around the wrong way when it comes to clubs. They always say you need a forgiving set when you start, then go up to players clubs when you get better. But I think the other way round would be better advice, get a set of players irons to teach you what good contact and a sound swing feels like, then once you are proficient go get a set of SGI shovels if you want more forgiveness. If you play SGI shovels right from the get go you will not improve, as you will have no feedback to tell you what you are doing right or wrong, and if your errors are 'corrected' by your clubs they wll soon become ingrained. Much better idea to go out and get a set of blades (in the right flex as too stiff will hurt your game in the early stages) and learn how to hit golf shots. Once you have learned now to hit it half decently, then you can decide if you want playability or forgiveness. But learn how to play first.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I think the 845s are great clubs to start with. I wouldn't spend a bunch of money to get fitted now because your swing will change a lot when you first start out. For example, you may start out with a very upright swing just to find out that you hit the ball more consistently with a flatter plane. Wait until you've taken a bunch of lessons and you have good fundamentals. Regarding blades vs. shovels, I think it also depends how athletic you are. If you grew up playing lots of hand/eye coordination sports (baseball, hockey, tennis, etc.) and excelled in those games, it's likely you'll do well in golf too. By all means aim high and go with the blades. If you are of average coordination and don't want to punish yourself early (just to get discouraged and never take up the game), go with the game improvement irons.

Based on my personal experience there is only about 10% difference between a poorly struck blade and a poorly struck CB. It really comes down to cost for someone starting out. The silver scott's can be picked up for cheap. By the time you have outgrown them, and if you catch the golf bug, you'll be ready to check out other options. Hopefully by then you'll be reading books, magazines, checking out demo days, and generally be a student of the game. You'll be surprised how much more you'll know about golf and golf products and how little the prick$ that work in big box store know.

If you have money by all means shop around and buy what ever fits your fancy. If you are on a budget then the 845's are good entry level clubs. They are just that and expect to outgrow them. Kind of like training wheels. Don't worry as a beginner you'll know when you hit a bad shot and you'll be lucky to find the ball.

The one thing that I think everyone has implied but not mentioned is that you should get steel shafts in your irons. I happen to agree with BJ, NAH that a set of blades will be the best training tool available. Everyone here will agree that you need to get into a pro shop and get on a launch monitor. Then you can see what your swing speed really is and know what flex to use. Probably regular but its important to confirm it. Ebay is the greatest marketplace for golfers wanting clubs on the cheap. Its never to soon to start demoing putters and figuring out what you like. Putters are either face balanced or toe weighted and the difference will be important in establishing your stroke and technique. Demo putters and then start looking at Ebay for the one you decide to go with. I would say that you want to get your go to putter as soon as you figure out which one that is and catch it on a low ball auction. Everytime you go to the driving range you should be putting in as much time on chipping and putting as full swing.
    2 tears in a bucket

Thread Information