|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

For DIYs ... what Solvent do U use ....

What solvent do U you to replace grip? I always use "Mineral Spirit" or "Paint thinner" because of high boiling point... I guess Acetone could be used but it has lower B.P and more flammable... Any thought from DIYs?

Charcoal lilghter fluid.

Paint thinner.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    What solvent do U you to replace grip? I always use "Mineral Spirit" or "Paint thinner" because of high boiling point... I guess Acetone could be used but it has lower B.P and more flammable... Any thought from DIYs?
    My solvent of choice is vodka, but fortunately I haven't gotten any DYI's.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    Paint thinner.
    This is what I use as well.

Tmac
    RCC Saskatchewan, Canada

paint thinner has methyl benzene as an ingredient. Methyl Benzene is a carcenogenic agent. The state of Texas currently is spending beaucoup money to clean up benzene derivatives around Houston. I would use something that doesn't cause cancer. Besides you should look up the flash point instead of boiling point IOT to gauge the flammability of a liquid. If you really want a solvent with a high B.P. and F.P. use GP-8. Its military grade diesel and very hard to light I've tried many times.
    2 tears in a bucket

Quote Originally Posted by jesse.day
    paint thinner has methyl benzene as an ingredient. Methyl Benzene is a carcenogenic agent. The state of Texas currently is spending beaucoup money to clean up benzene derivatives around Houston. I would use something that doesn't cause cancer. Besides you should look up the flash point instead of boiling point IOT to gauge the flammability of a liquid. If you really want a solvent with a high B.P. and F.P. use GP-8. Its military grade diesel and very hard to light I've tried many times.
    Just about everything on this earth is a carcenogenic agent if you ask those damn healt nuts that want to sell you some enviro. friendly **** for twice the price.

Fak off.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Yeah but benzene products are the worst. The other solution is to wear medical gloves during the process.
    2 tears in a bucket

Jesse's right. Some carcinogenic agents are much worse than most and benzene is about the worst of anything you'll come in contact with. And it's volatile meaning direct contact isn't the only problem, if it's in contact with the air near you you'll breath it in.

Avoid things with benzene as much as you can. The other thing to avoid is carbon tetrachloride. This is often in nail polish remover. I throw that in there for Joel, I don't know what his dad's making him do these days.

I know that Golf Galaxy sells "solvent" to regrip, not sure what that is. Anyone knows?

No, I looked around for about 5 minutes and couldn't find a list of ingredients. I'm thinking about trying Rubbing Alcohol. Anyone use it before? My only concern is that it'll evaporate too fast. For those of you who don't know solvent is a pretty general term which basically means liquid. Water is a solvent. If you put salt in the water, then the salt would be a solute and water and salt combined is a solution. The point is that solvents react very different based on whether they are polar, non polar or can donate protons (acidic). Acetone is a ketone and Rubbing Alcohol has an alcohol group. Other than the functional group the have the exact same structure. Which is a lot like saying other than the fact that bar chick #1 is way hotter than Bar chick #2 they are the same thing.
    2 tears in a bucket

paint thinner....saves $
    Hoofer Vantage:

905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    G2i Anser

Tour 360 II

the functional group gives the compound 90%(or at least a high %) of its chemical properties. i'm not sure why similarities in structure are important

Cool

White spirits - works great ... never needed to bother trying anything else....

What is "white spirits" ?

Quote Originally Posted by ripit35
    the functional group gives the compound 90%(or at least a high %) of its chemical properties. i'm not sure why similarities in structure are important
    Agreed about the functional group giving most of the character, but a ketone and an alcohol group shouldn't behave too differently for the purpose of activating epoxy and the structure is only important because it is identical and very small so you basically get nothing but the functional group in terms of bonding.

The only real difference is the C=O bond(Acetone) has a better nucleophile, were C-OH has to use an electron pair from an electronegative atom which would slow the rate of rxn. This could be problematic bc while the rate of rxn is a little slower that rate of evaporation is very high.

Which leads back to my original question. Has anyone used rubbing alcohol for grips before? I'd like to try it because its cheap and pretty safe.
    2 tears in a bucket

i would think alcohol would work well b/c it evaporates quickly but idk ive always just used the golfsmith stuff...

I have not tried rubbing alcohol but I can't see why it won't work... It has higher boiling pt (lower vapor pressure) than Acetone. I think Acetone would work as well, but it has higher vapor pressure so it would evaporate faster, and less working time

Keep in mind that the function of solvent here is to "lubricate" the tape for ease of pushing the grip in, no more than that... so longer working time (i.e. mineral spirit or paint thinner) solvents would be a better choice

I rarely change the so-called adhesive tape when re grip, it's there for lubrication purpose only

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    I have not tried rubbing alcohol but I can't see why it won't work... It has higher boiling pt (lower vapor pressure) than Acetone. I think Acetone would work as well, but it has higher vapor pressure so it would evaporate faster, and less working time

Keep in mind that the function of solvent here is to "lubricate" the tape for ease of pushing the grip in, no more than that... so longer working time (i.e. mineral spirit or paint thinner) solvents would be a better choice

I rarely change the so-called adhesive tape when re grip, it's there for lubrication purpose only
    i would rather have something that evaporates more quickly... you can slid a grip on in 5 sec and then have to wait less time for it to dry with alcohol...

Thread Information