|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Yearly check up for forged clubs?

Some time ago I heard someone say that forged clubs can "lose" their loft and lie especially from hitting on the driving range (from practice mats). He had his forged clubs (Mizuno MP-29) checked every year. Has someone got experience with that? Do forged clubs vary (a lot) in lie and loft a lot after some time? I have Mizuno MP-33's for two years now and I always had a high ball flight but I'm thinking that my ball flight is increasing and I'm losing some distance.
    I also reasd on this forum that a lot of MP-33 players had their loft decreased by 2 degrees for a more penetrating flight. Since I have a high ball flight I'm also considering this.
    Any comments?

I believe forged clubs do have a tendency to lose their specs after a given time period. Some is from gravity (I would assume very little) but mostly from hitting. If you play a lot and are noticing differences I would get them checked. I think it's usually between $30 and $50 to have them adjusted to the specs you want and takes very little time. Going 2 degrees strong...go for it if you want a lower flight. Many tour pros (from what I have read and heard from people who used to work in club repair shops for the tour) have their clubs 1 or 2 degrees strong as far as lofts. It will lower the ball flight and probably add a few yards. Do what looks good and works for you. If you end up not liking it, you can always have them bent back...the beauty of forged clubs. I'm sure Montagle will somehow tell me I shouldn't be answering this question and call me stupid, but I would like to ask you, Mr. Spinner, to vote for me for Rube of the year. I don't seem to have any votes yet. Hope this answers your question and I hope I am mostly correct.

Yes, gravity is a tremendous factor in clubs losing their loft. But it is very difficult to know which way gravity is affecting the clubs. See, when you are holding them by the grip in order to hit a shot gravity is obviously decreasing the loft. When they are upside down in the bag (walking or riding) gravity is increasing the loft. When the clubs are on their side in the trunk of the car gravity is adjusting the lie flatter.

So it is most crucial that you go and fetch a legal pad and a calculator and document how many minutes each day your clubs spend in the above mentioned positions. Then and only then can you know whther you are losing or gaining loft.

I mean gravity has a HUGE affect on forged carbon steel. Look at what it does to the human body every day. By 9:00 PM I am a full foot shorter than I was at 7:00 AM and I tend to tilt towards the setting sun by about 17 degrees.

Gravity? Oh yes, we are all prisoners of the dastardly efects of inertia......our sporting goods as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Montagle
    Yes, gravity is a tremendous factor in clubs losing their loft. But it is very difficult to know which way gravity is affecting the clubs. See, when you are holding them by the grip in order to hit a shot gravity is obviously decreasing the loft. When they are upside down in the bag (walking or riding) gravity is increasing the loft. When the clubs are on their side in the trunk of the car gravity is adjusting the lie flatter.

So it is most crucial that you go and fetch a legal pad and a calculator and document how many minutes each day your clubs spend in the above mentioned positions. Then and only then can you know whther you are losing or gaining loft.

I mean gravity has a HUGE affect on forged carbon steel. Look at what it does to the human body every day. By 9:00 PM I am a full foot shorter than I was at 7:00 AM and I tend to tilt towards the setting sun by about 17 degrees.

Gravity? Oh yes, we are all prisoners of the dastardly efects of inertia......our sporting goods as well.

This is precisely why I always carry 28 clubs with me when I play... one set sits upside down in my bag to off set the negative affects of gravity.... doesn't everyone do this?

I pull mine behind me. I keep them in a 50 gallon drum full of water in hopes of making them rust. I set the drum on a skateboard and tie a rope to the front truck of the skateboard. Uphill holes are really tough due to the weight, which only serves to remind me of the cruel, cruel effects of gravity.

Guys, guys, he said he assumed very little was from gravity. Give him some credit. He is a university guy.

What are our schools coming to?
    there are probably only a couple of golfers that should refer to themselves as the master. I am sure it is not anyone on this board.

I have an appointment in 20 minutes and my car is imbedded in the parking lot up to it's headlights.

GD effing gravity!!!!

I think the GD gravity just effects the aiming of the headlights. It won't sink the car into the ground. So don't worry, it will be there when you go outside.
    there are probably only a couple of golfers that should refer to themselves as the master. I am sure it is not anyone on this board.

I have an appointment in 20 minutes and my car is imbedded in the parking lot up to it's headlights.

GD effing gravity!!!!
    I can't compete with this... you are the master.... my vote is for Monte

No, no , no.

The 28 clubs comment was priceless. Do not drop out of the competition.

Oh my god.........gravity............my lungs have slid into my ankles and the elastic in my socks is somehow strangling me and I cannot breathe........help me.... oh .. no.....

No, no , no.

The 28 clubs comment was priceless. Do not drop out of the competition.

Oh my god.........gravity............my lungs have slid into my ankles and the elastic in my socks is somehow strangling me and I cannot breathe........help me.... oh .. no.....
    I had disregarded this thread earlier since I couldn't relate to its intended subject. I was dumb enough to think it would stay on topic for more than two posts and there would be no berating or heckling. Glad I righted the ship and read through the substance...LOL.

I know a place where we can all buy moon rocks. Everyone knows there is no gravity on the moon. I figure one in everyones' bag and our lofts and lies will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by onetime
    I know a place where we can all buy moon rocks. Everyone knows there is no gravity on the moon. I figure one in everyones' bag and our lofts and lies will be fine.

I think this is where college may get his intel.... he was watching Alan Sheppard hit balls on the moon on his "golf DVD"... thus the gravity references. It's all starting to make sense now...

Quote Originally Posted by Spinner
    Some time ago I heard someone say that forged clubs can "lose" their loft and lie especially from hitting on the driving range (from practice mats). He had his forged clubs (Mizuno MP-29) checked every year. Has someone got experience with that? Do forged clubs vary (a lot) in lie and loft a lot after some time? I have Mizuno MP-33's for two years now and I always had a high ball flight but I'm thinking that my ball flight is increasing and I'm losing some distance.
    I also reasd on this forum that a lot of MP-33 players had their loft decreased by 2 degrees for a more penetrating flight. Since I have a high ball flight I'm also considering this.
    Any comments?

This is one of the funniest threads I have ever seen. lol

All kidding aside, I was at a demo day a few weeks ago and asked the Mizuno rep that very same question (I'm getting the MP 37s). He said that unless you spend a lot of time hitting off of very hard ground or hitting off of mats that are sitting on cement (with no padding underneath) your clubs will pretty much stay where they are set. It is a good idea to get them checked every once in a while. Nonetheless, I think you will find that your specs remain the same most all of the time.

The rep also told me that you can bend/adjust those clubs almost as much as you want. Obviously, if you are changing things every other week sooner or later they will wear out. But you shouldn't have any problems adjusting them four or five times throughout their lifespan. So, if you are thinking of bending your clubs for a stronger loft....I say go for it. You can always get them bent back if you don't like the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinness21
    This is one of the funniest threads I have ever seen. lol

All kidding aside, I was at a demo day a few weeks ago and asked the Mizuno rep that very same question (I'm getting the MP 37s). He said that unless you spend a lot of time hitting off of very hard ground or hitting off of mats that are sitting on cement (with no padding underneath) your clubs will pretty much stay where they are set. It is a good idea to get them checked every once in a while. Nonetheless, I think you will find that your specs remain the same most all of the time.

The rep also told me that you can bend/adjust those clubs almost as much as you want. Obviously, if you are changing things every other week sooner or later they will wear out. But you shouldn't have any problems adjusting them four or five times throughout their lifespan. So, if you are thinking of bending your clubs for a stronger loft....I say go for it. You can always get them bent back if you don't like the results.
    You spelled mizuno wrong. It is mizoono.

Nice clubs though. Good luck with them.

Who is this "Gravity" and how can I get a hold of him???
    I hate bogeys.

Careful, I'm drinking coffee lad.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Thread Information