|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Mizuno MP52 or MP57??

I'm new to the forum but I have been viewing posts for the last several days. I view a lot of golf forums on the web, but I appreciate the "candor" of the posters here . . . . . . . it kind of reminds me of the "gibbing" back and forth that my golf partners and I go through whenever we go out and play a round.

Anyway, I'd be interested in getting your comments about a dilemma I have to decide in the next few weeks. I have played several types of clubs over the past several years and started out as a golfer who golfed in the low 100s to currently playing consistently in the mid to low 80s. It has taken a lot of work and discovering the nuances of the game to get this far. Over the years I started with a set of Golfsmith "Harvey Pennick" simple cavity back irons with graphite shafts that I made myself (they were at least an 1" longer in length). I went from those to a custom made set of Nickent 3dxPro irons (1" longer and 2* upright for my 6'4" frame.) I then went to some Callaway X-18s in a 3* upright. I went back to my Harvey Pennick clubs and was playing very well with the simple cavity backs before the shafts started getting brittle and cracking around the hosel. A guy was selling some R7s (regular) in the club house for $350 so I bought them, added an inch to the length, and am currently playing them until I buy some new ones to my liking.

Now, all these sets played good for me in my journey to learn and get better at the game, but after going back to the old Harvey Pennicks for a time, I loved the simplicity of the basic cavity back (and fairly narrow sole). I now despise hitting the clunky R7s even if they are easy to hit and long. I'm a long hitter anyway and have no trouble getting the ball in the air. I'm also not fond of the heavy feel of the clunky game improvement irons and metal shafts. I liked the graphite shafts, that's just me and my preference and I don't make any apologies for it. I am going to sink some money into a set I will love to play, be proud of, and will be custom made to my specifications. I am seriously thinking the MP57s look and sound like the next step I need to make in my journey of this game. I love the simple cavity back and I have heard great things about playing forged irons. Again, I hit it long already so I don't care if you sacrifice length a bit (whenever you are hitting a PW 157 yards in the R7s, why should a drop off in length bother you? lol)

Of course, the "buzz" right now is all about the MP52s. I'm not real sure I need the extra forgiveness if it sacrifices the playability of the club. I will probably irons made with the Mizuno Exsar Tour2 graphite shafts in a stiff. Again, that's just my personal preference. The R7s I play currently have a lightweight steel shaft and I don't like them near as well as I did the graphite.

Any of you have opinions on or play the MP57 or MP52? I look forward to seeing your thoughts and thanks . . . . .

Hi

I have played a set of MP57's in a Steel Nippon NS950 shaft. I have to say they were nice clubs, nothing special but .........nice. I have never hit the MP52 but from what i have seen they appear quite similar to the Titleist AP1, which i do have and again they are nice irons.

Truth is if that is what you fancy i dont think you would go wrong with either, Mizuno dont make bad irons. Try them all, pick your favourite, get properly fitted, cough up and enjoy.

Of course if you want the highest quality Jap forged irons, and your pockets are deep enough Miura is the way to go :-)

Edgey

PS I suspect you may get a bit of stick about the graphite shafts, bit like putting a Daewoo engine in a Ferrari,
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

There is no finer fireplace poker than the MP-52. 57 is garbage on all fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Hi

I have played a set of MP57's in a Steel Nippon NS950 shaft. I have to say they were nice clubs, nothing special but .........nice. I have never hit the MP52 but from what i have seen they appear quite similar to the Titleist AP1, which i do have and again they are nice irons.

Truth is if that is what you fancy i dont think you would go wrong with either, Mizuno dont make bad irons. Try them all, pick your favourite, get properly fitted, cough up and enjoy.

Of course if you want the highest quality Jap forged irons, and your pockets are deep enough Miura is the way to go :-)

Edgey

PS I suspect you may get a bit of stick about the graphite shafts, bit like putting a Daewoo engine in a Ferrari,
    I have done a little research on the Miura clubs, but I have never seen them or know of anyone who plays them in my circles. I don't know what club head would be the best for me. They do look really classic in all the internet pictures. Would someone recommend the 301 or the 202, or something else for a mid handicapper?

I recently did a comparison demo on the Mizuno MP 52's, 57's, 62's and 67's at a local range connected with a golf retailer and clubmaker. The forgiveness went in that order, maximal with the 52's and minimal on the 67's. They all felt fairly sweet on well struck shots, but the 62 and 67 were definitely more bladelike in their harshness on thin shots. The 67's had the best feel but were by far the least forgiving. The 62's were disappointingly dull feeling; they reminded me a lot of the old MP 30's. I think my favorite was the MP 57, which had a good blend of feel, accuracy, and forgiveness. The MP 52 is basically a cavity back with relatively minimal offset. The MP 57 is more of a "player's cavity back" with some muscleback characteristics. The MP 62 is pretty much a muscleback, and the 67 is very much on the blade side of a muscleback blade.

None of them came close to knocking my Wishon 560 MC's out of the bag. By their design, they are somewhere between the 52's and 57's. I think part of the issue for preferring the Wishons is that I have Black Golds in them, and the Mizunos all had either Dynamic Golds or Project X's, which aren't as smooth feeling. Nevertheless, none of the Mizunos appeared to increase my accuracy or precision over what I already have, so I resisted the temptation to get new clubs just to have sexy new sticks.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Nevertheless, none of the Mizunos appeared to increase my accuracy or precision over what I already have, so I resisted the temptation to get new clubs just to have sexy new sticks.
    Well done DM, that club ho therapy is really working out for you. You've come a long way. Now if only we can get BJ Drivers along to the clinic.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I recently did a comparison demo on the Mizuno MP 52's, 57's, 62's and 67's at a local range connected with a golf retailer and clubmaker. The forgiveness went in that order, maximal with the 52's and minimal on the 67's. They all felt fairly sweet on well struck shots, but the 62 and 67 were definitely more bladelike in their harshness on thin shots. The 67's had the best feel but were by far the least forgiving. The 62's were disappointingly dull feeling; they reminded me a lot of the old MP 30's. I think my favorite was the MP 57, which had a good blend of feel, accuracy, and forgiveness. The MP 52 is basically a cavity back with relatively minimal offset. The MP 57 is more of a "player's cavity back" with some muscleback characteristics. The MP 62 is pretty much a muscleback, and the 67 is very much on the blade side of a muscleback blade.

None of them came close to knocking my Wishon 560 MC's out of the bag. By their design, they are somewhere between the 52's and 57's. I think part of the issue for preferring the Wishons is that I have Black Golds in them, and the Mizunos all had either Dynamic Golds or Project X's, which aren't as smooth feeling. Nevertheless, none of the Mizunos appeared to increase my accuracy or precision over what I already have, so I resisted the temptation to get new clubs just to have sexy new sticks.
    Thank you for this post it was very helpful . . . .

Obviously you can't go far wrong with Mizuno, but if you really want to improve your game, grow a set of nuts and get blades. The 57's are obviously more players clubs than the new 52's, and are probably entry point clubs for real man golfers, but if you want to be a real player, man up and get a set of 67's or 32's.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Obviously you can't go far wrong with Mizuno, but if you really want to improve your game, grow a set of nuts and get blades. The 57's are obviously more players clubs than the new 52's, and are probably entry point clubs for real man golfers, but if you want to be a real player, man up and get a set of 67's or 32's.
    Nothing says "REAL MAN" like the indescribable bone chattering vibration one gets from head to toe while watching the shot go short and low, or long and low after a somewhat thin shot with REAL BLADES. It's almost orgasmic.......
    Those of us who play more forgiving clubs never quite get the full experience. I feel so GUILTY watching a slightly thin shot going straight and nearly the right distance, though on a lower trajectory, with my relatively thin soled, minimally offset, thin topline, forged cavity backs. I feel even GUILTIER at the end of the round when I total up my score and find that I got a break on a few holes due to club forgiveness. I feel even WORSE that I've found a driver head/shaft combination that usually hits the ball long and quite straight, and doesn't punish me too badly on less than perfect swings. And don't even get me started about hitting the hybrids long and straight.......I would have to seek out a priest to give confession and then perform penance post haste..........
    Last edited by dorkman53; 11-02-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Nothing says "REAL MAN" like the indescribable bone chattering vibration one gets from head to toe while watching the shot go short and low, or long and low after a somewhat thin shot with REAL BLADES. It's almost orgasmic.......
    Those of us who play more forgiving clubs never quite get the full experience. I feel so GUILTY watching a slightly thin shot going straight and nearly the right distance, though on a lower trajectory, with my relatively thin soled, minimally offset, thin topline, forged cavity backs. I feel even GUILTIER at the end of the round when I total up my score and find that I got a break on a few holes due to club forgiveness. I feel even WORSE that I've found a driver head/shaft combination that usually hits the ball long and quite straight, and doesn't punish me too badly on less than perfect swings. And don't even get me started about hitting the hybrids long and straight.......I would have to seek out a priest to give confession and then perform penance post haste..........
    Your clubs are close enough to blades in general performance to be like hitting blades, so I'm not sure why you don't agree with my comments.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Your clubs are close enough to blades in general performance to be like hitting blades, so I'm not sure why you don't agree with my comments.
    Mine are WAY more forgiving on a mildly off swing. Just about any club will give a good result on a good swing. On a bad swing, any club will give a poor result. I enjoy the margin of error when I don't make a poor shot, but didn't make a really good one, either. The "slightly off" shot that still gets a reasonably good result proves to me the advantage of more forgiving clubs, and I'll take the help gratefully, thank you very much.

I can certainly can feel what I did wrong, but it's like getting a "slap on the wrist" instead of being incarcerated in the big house.

Mine are WAY more forgiving on a mildly off swing. Just about any club will give a good result on a good swing. On a bad swing, any club will give a poor result. I enjoy the margin of error when I don't make a poor shot, but didn't make a really good one, either. The "slightly off" shot that still gets a reasonably good result proves to me the advantage of more forgiving clubs, and I'll take the help gratefully, thank you very much.

I can certainly can feel what I did wrong, but it's like getting a "slap on the wrist" instead of being incarcerated in the big house.
    I certainly understand what you are saying after playing "game improvement" irons for so long. My problem, and the reason I am ready to take the next step towards a more blade like iron, is that I find it nearly impossible to work a ball at all with the game improvement irons. Plus, they just feel so big and clunky after going back to the simple cavity back irons Harvey Pennick put his name to.

Still, I'm not ready to go back to the old Wilson Staff and Northwestern irons I grew up (bought at a garage sale.) At least, not yet . . . . .

By the way, I am really thinking of combining a set of long irons in the MP52s and short irons in the 57s . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I certainly understand what you are saying after playing "game improvement" irons for so long. My problem, and the reason I am ready to take the next step towards a more blade like iron, is that I find it nearly impossible to work a ball at all with the game improvement irons. Plus, they just feel so big and clunky after going back to the simple cavity back irons Harvey Pennick put his name to.

Still, I'm not ready to go back to the old Wilson Staff and Northwestern irons I grew up (bought at a garage sale.) At least, not yet . . . . .
    Even though the promotional material for my irons talk about "game improvement" features, for all intents and purposes they are "player's cavity backs." Wishon uses the opposite marketing strategy than Ping has sometimes employed (calling cavity backs "blades"). With most "player's cavity backs" I've used, the ball can most certainly be worked. It just takes a more prounounced angulation of the stance and/or opening or closing of the face, whichever method you prefer, compared to musclebacks or blades. My trouble is that I spend a lot more time and effort practicing hitting the ball as straight as possible than trying to hit a controlled fade or draw, so I don't have a high degree of confidence in playing the draw or fade on command for a quantitative result when water or serious trouble is on the line. I practice flop shots frequently, and therefore feel confident at the relatively infrequent times I decide that the flop is actually my best bet. Probably if I spent more time practicing fades and draws with different clubs, I'd become confident enough to risk it when there is a significant penalty for a miscue.
    Last edited by dorkman53; 11-03-2008 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by

Any of you have opinions on or play the MP57 or MP52? I look forward to seeing your thoughts and thanks . . . . . [img
    http://smilies.sofrayt.com/sae/beer.gif[/img]
    My brief experience in trying these clubs with the Exsar IS2 Tour graphite shaft is that I could ascertain no significant difference in how they played. I chose the MP-57 on the basis of appearance.

However, MP-57s in hand, I reshafted with the relatively inexpensive Harrison Star Plus A/R flex shaft because I love that shaft and Mizuno doesn't stock it. Highly recommended, at least from my perspective. The clubs now launch the ball like the so-called shovels, but "shots" can still be played a ball or two forward or a ball or two back.

While the numbered irons comprise but five of my fourteen clubs, it is still difficult to play a satisfying round without having faith in the ones that one is packing. I USE those five clubs.
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 11-09-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    My brief experience in trying these clubs with the Exsar IS2 Tour graphite shaft is that I could ascertain no significant difference in how they played. I chose the MP-57 on the basis of appearance.

However, MP-57s in hand, I reshafted with the relatively inexpensive Harrison Star Plus A/R flex shaft because I love that shaft and Mizuno doesn't stock it. Highly recommended, at least from my perspective. The clubs now launch the ball like the so-called shovels, but "shots" can still be played a ball or two forward or a ball or two back.

While the numbered irons comprise but five of my fourteen clubs, it is still difficult to play a satisfying round without having faith in the ones that one is packing. I USE those five clubs.
    Thanks for the reply, NN, it's a rare moment to find someone that has actually tested the irons I want to buy with the graphite shafts. I have played iron shafts of different kinds most of my life, but the one set I have played with graphite makes me want to go back. I have heard good things about the Harrison shafts as well, but I "think" the Exsar IS2 shaft will work better for me because I don't have any trouble getting the ball in the air with my swing and this shaft has a mid to low ball flight. I will have to have a stiff shaft as well.

Thanks again for the info . . . .

None of them came close to knocking my Wishon 560 MC's out of the bag. By their design, they are somewhere between the 52's and 57's. I think part of the issue for preferring the Wishons is that I have Black Golds in thems.
    The more I play, the more I think the shaft in an iron is EVERYTHING, and the head, as long as it's roughly the same in offset and weight and so forth, is secondary. If the shaft works with your swing (as the TT BG does for mine as well) you can hit well with almost anything on the end.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Lee Trevino used to comment that it was the shaft and the length of the hosel. I can see his point because it is the club head's connection to the shaft. The bore through does change this a bit but I've observed that the better player clubs have much longer hosels than the GI's and some of the super GI's hosels are non-existent. Also, all wedges have super long hosels.

And don't even get me started about hitting the hybrids long and straight.......I would have to seek out a priest ..........
    ahem. He's got a hybrid in his hand and he's looking for a priest.

This is a hanging curve, if you're feeling up to it.

}Edgey, NAH, Kiwi and any Frenchmen hanging around GR----

'hanging curve' means a baseball pitcher attempted to throw a curve ball to fool the hitter but the 'curve' spin didn't bite, and so the ball is just a slow, straight ball coming right over the plate, easy to hit for a home run. Other similar metaphors include 'low hanging fruit', etc.
    {
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

In the world of political interviewing, it's also known as a slushball.......a leading question that sets up an easy answer that leads right to a preferred talking point of the candidate favored by the interviewer. Barak Obama got lots of these slushball questions during the recent campaign by certain networks.....

In the world of political interviewing, it's also known as a slushball.......a leading question that sets up an easy answer that leads right to a preferred talking point of the candidate favored by the interviewer. Barak Obama got lots of these slushball questions during the recent campaign by certain networks.....
    Here in little ol NZ we had a change of Govt on Saturday too but in the opposite direction to you guys. We have gone from a (supposedly) centre left liberal (more like soviet style socialists) party to a centre right party.

Thank goodness.

If Helen Clark, the deposed dictator, er I mean Prime Minister had won a fourth term I have it on very good authority that she was planning to rename Wellington (our Capital city) Helengrad.

Now where the f#ck am I?

After three months of research, demoing, and sometimes agonizing over the decision () I placed an order today for brand new Mizuno MP 52 irons from 4-PW. I demoed and researched MP 57s and Ping S57s and Gi10s. The looks and feels of the Mizzys were far superior to me than the Pings (sorry Ping fans). That's just a personal preference though and I respect others opinions. In fact, most all of the guys I play golf with are Ping players. The Mizzunos just look more like a golf club to me. The Pings look almost "mechanical" in appearance. Some guys like that look, but it wasn't what i wanted to have in my bag.

I ordered the MP 52s with the Mizuno Exsar Tour 2 "stiff" shafts. These shafts weigh in at 103 grams and are a "middle" ball flight. Again, I've played both metal shafts and graphites on other sets and I prefer the graphite. It's just a personal choice. Because of my 6' 5" frame, I have to play 1" longer shaft and 2* upright according to my fitting session.

I'm not one to give you a review of how good a club is until I go play 2 or 3 rounds with it. I see too many posters on these sites go demo some clubs and then write reviews on the clubs. How do they know how the club is going to play on the course? I'll give you a review of the MP 52s after I've played them for a while.

I wanted to thank everyone for their input on my question. Well, . . . . . . most everyone . . . . .

Go all the way. Miura blades with a Nippon shaft. SERIOUSLY a sweet club. Night and day to any other blade I've ever hit. Of course, in my opinion, not worth the money (at least at this point in my life). But after hitting them, I'd buy them if I had the money.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    After three months of research, demoing, and sometimes agonizing over the decision () I placed an order today for brand new Mizuno MP 52 irons from 4-PW. I demoed and researched MP 57s and Ping S57s and Gi10s. The looks and feels of the Mizzys were far superior to me than the Pings (sorry Ping fans). That's just a personal preference though and I respect others opinions. In fact, most all of the guys I play golf with are Ping players. The Mizzunos just look more like a golf club to me. The Pings look almost "mechanical" in appearance. Some guys like that look, but it wasn't what i wanted to have in my bag.

I ordered the MP 52s with the Mizuno Exsar Tour 2 "stiff" shafts. These shafts weigh in at 103 grams and are a "middle" ball flight. Again, I've played both metal shafts and graphites on other sets and I prefer the graphite. It's just a personal choice. Because of my 6' 5" frame, I have to play 1" longer shaft and 2* upright according to my fitting session.

I'm not one to give you a review of how good a club is until I go play 2 or 3 rounds with it. I see too many posters on these sites go demo some clubs and then write reviews on the clubs. How do they know how the club is going to play on the course? I'll give you a review of the MP 52s after I've played them for a while.

I wanted to thank everyone for their input on my question. Well, . . . . . . most everyone . . . . .

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... er... ummmmmmmmmm...

WOW.

J/K man, but PLEASE tell me that at 6'5" you're not "looking for more distance". That's just wrong. Sooooooooooooo wrong. In so many ways. Steel will be more consistent, and you should probably check out TT Black Golds or RP Rifles before you go stating publicly that you prefer graphite shafts over steel in your irons. Seriously.

Anyways, I hope you like them and they work out for you.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    Go all the way. Miura blades with a Nippon shaft. SERIOUSLY a sweet club. Night and day to any other blade I've ever hit. Of course, in my opinion, not worth the money (at least at this point in my life). But after hitting them, I'd buy them if I had the money.

THIS.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... er... ummmmmmmmmm...

WOW.

J/K man, but PLEASE tell me that at 6'5" you're not "looking for more distance". That's just wrong. Sooooooooooooo wrong. In so many ways. Steel will be more consistent, and you should probably check out TT Black Golds or RP Rifles before you go stating publicly that you prefer graphite shafts over steel in your irons. Seriously.

Anyways, I hope you like them and they work out for you.

FON

No, it has nothing to do with distance, it has more to do with the fact that the lighter weight suits my swing better and also I like the "dampening" effect of graphite on bad hits. Most guys that swear by metal shafts have never really given graphite a chance IMO. I have given graphite a chance by playing with a set for 4 years.

I've played various types of metal shafts and have done fine, I just prefer the graphite. I've also noticed that the older I get (even though 43 isn't considered real old yet) the better the graphite feels to me.

The Mizuno Exsar tour shafts will be the heaviest graphite shafts I have ever played so far. At 103 grams, they are not much different in weight than the shafts you have mentioned.

I feel so GUILTY watching a slightly thin shot going straight and nearly the right distance, though on a lower trajectory, with my relatively thin soled, minimally offset, thin topline, forged cavity backs. I feel even GUILTIER at the end of the round when I total up my score and find that I got a break on a few holes due to club forgiveness. I feel even WORSE that I've found a driver head/shaft combination that usually hits the ball long and quite straight, and doesn't punish me too badly on less than perfect swings. And don't even get me started about hitting the hybrids long and straight.......I would have to seek out a priest to give confession and then perform penance post haste..........
    If you have that much of a conscience, you really should take up checkers or something. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Yah, that's why you see graphite shafts in all of the pro's clubs.

Personally, I agree with FON and think you just paid extra money for little performance value. Curious, what is the swing weight of this club with the graphite shafts? Maybe that is what you are feeling is the difference in swing weights and not the performance of the shaft itself.

It's all down to personal preference. LyleG - before he abandoned us for Shottalk - stated that graphite shafts have improved so much that the main difference between them and steel is weight not performance. Did LyleG know what he was talking about? Most of us accepted his wisdom. Who knows?

But that's beside the point.

If graphite is what SoonerBS prefers who are we judge otherwise. Comparing ourselves (mostly Hackers) to what the tour pros are using is ridiculous.

Now where the f#ck am I?

OK - let's leave the pro's out of this. Most people do not play graphite shafts for a reason - period. The main difference between steel and graphite shafts is the price; graphite shafts are more expensive than steel shafts with similar quality. Which is my point. Most quality graphite shafts are quite expensive and don't play any better than steel shafts. So unless you are looking at reducing the weight to increase swing speed than I don't see the reason to pay the extra money. The other reason might be the reduced "dampening" as SoonerBS put it. If you use GR logic this is not a positive thing.

Now if you start talking about other characteristics like static and swing weight you might be onto something. Especially when you are talking about a club that is 1" longer. I'm not a fitter but this might be the real reason BS likes the feel of the graphite clubs.

If you like graphite shafts by all means use them but it's not main stream for a reason.

Graphite shafts in irons are strictly for poofs, sissies, and girly men!

Everybody knows that real men use only steel shafts at S flex minimum in irons. If you want to be really old school he-man, DG S300 are hard to beat.

Having said all that, graphite are a good choice for older guys who may suffer from arthritis and need a bit of extra vibration dampening. In those circumstances graphite would be acceptable, but they would still have to be S flex minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    OK - let's leave the pro's out of this. Most people do not play graphite shafts for a reason - period. The main difference between steel and graphite shafts is the price; graphite shafts are more expensive than steel shafts with similar quality. Which is my point. Most quality graphite shafts are quite expensive and don't play any better than steel shafts. So unless you are looking at reducing the weight to increase swing speed than I don't see the reason to pay the extra money. The other reason might be the reduced "dampening" as SoonerBS put it. If you use GR logic this is not a positive thing.

Now if you start talking about other characteristics like static and swing weight you might be onto something. Especially when you are talking about a club that is 1" longer. I'm not a fitter but this might be the real reason BS likes the feel of the graphite clubs.

If you like graphite shafts by all means use them but it's not main stream for a reason.
    Do we know for a fact that graphite shafts, specifically the Exsar Tour shaft, does not perform as well as metal shafts? The graphite shafts I have on my old set (some old Fenwick frequency matched) outperformed the Nippon shafts I had in my Nickent 3DX Pro Irons, the uniflex shafts I had in my Callaway X-18s, the DG S300 shafts I had in my F2 iron set, and whatever metal shafts Taylormade is putting in the R7s that I have in my set now that I am playing. This is all my opinion after playing these sets for several years with the different shafts, but I don't have any statistical proof to give as my Iron Byron is broken in the front yard .

Some people don't like the dampening effect, but then not all of us are 20 something years old with good joints. I have never had any trouble feeling where the ball is going in any of my sets. So, why do I need metal shafts to tell that?

I think it once again gets back to "personal preference." Are all of you guys using metal shafts using the same brand of shafts because it is recommended and talked more about on this forum? Or, are using them because the professionals are using them (which by the way, I don't aspire to be a professional golfer, I just want to enjoy the game)? Is it a must that we all have to use the same brand of stick? If I go out and kick somebody's ass in golf who was using metal shafts, does that mean he should switch to graphite?

Everybody is at different levels, have different swings, different needs, and thank God, we all have a bunch of choices to choose from.

Dare to be different, guys, don't be sheep.

Personal preference. Those who have slow swing tempo could take advantage of graphite's whip effect. On the other hand, those who have fast tempo would find difficulties in handling graphite shafts.

It is more difficult to control the swing tempo than finding money to switch the shafts. That's why I switched to steel shafts.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Graphite shafts in irons are strictly for poofs, sissies, and girly men!

Everybody knows that real men use only steel shafts at S flex minimum in irons. If you want to be really old school he-man, DG S300 are hard to beat.

Having said all that, graphite are a good choice for older guys who may suffer from arthritis and need a bit of extra vibration dampening. In those circumstances graphite would be acceptable, but they would still have to be S flex minimum.
    agreed, for the 60 & older crowd, graphite is acceptable, but not for hibore with headcover toting queers. Real men play rifles in their irons, but DG players can be considered as trying to find his manhood.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Well, let's don't stop at irons, guys, let's go ahead and be real men and take those freaking, sissy sticks out of our drivers as well! Hell, let's don't hold any double standards, if we don't want them in our irons, then let's be non-hypocritical and take them out of our drivers, too.

While we are at it, let's just trash our modern putters and go back to the good 'ole hickory putters of our forefathers.

And, no, let us not stop there, for we have gone into full fagdom donning the sissy emblems of Nike, Adidas and Ian Poulter colors on our golfing attire. Let's put off the sissy wear and get out and golf in real knickers with sportsjackets and ties like the REAL golfers did back in the 1800 and 1900s.

This, my brothers at arms, is our golf given duty. So let us march forward, . . . er, . . . backwards into the past to take up the clubs of our forefathers and guard against the hypocrisy of modern technology!!

I received my custom made Mizuno MP52 irons 1 month ago and have only managed to get 5 rounds in with them (winter has hit here in Oklahoma). I just wanted to report that these irons were worth every penny!

The Exsar graphite shafts are actually heavier than the shafts I was playing in my last set -- TaylorMade R7s. They weigh 103 grams and are along the same specs as Aldila NV shafts. They are balanced very well for my swing, and even though I have mishit a few balls in 40 degree temps lately, there was no sting or pain from the graphite.

The irons look great, but they are definitely a mid to lower handicap iron. I do not hit them as well as I did my game improvement irons, but it is because I need to make improvements in my swing and game. The feel you get whenever you hit one of these irons sweet makes you want to improve your game so you can feel that feel more often.

I got the 4 through PW. The 4-7 iron have the hollow undercut cavity although you cannot see it on address. The soles on these clubs are narrow which I like. The lesser offset allows for more playmaking abilities and I am having fun learning to shape shots.

All in all, after playing Callaway X-18s and Taylormade R7s for the last 5 years, these clubs are the best I have ever owned in looks and feel and I can't wait to get to play more to see what they are really capable of doing on the course!

Very nice SoonerBS. Look forward to hear about your low scores. I'm sure they will give you many rounds of pure enjoyment.

Thread Information