|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

golf GPS: what's the best one?

i'm thinking of getting a golf GPS in the next month or so (maybe for Christmas

it seems everyone if buying the Skycaddie, but i've seen others on the market as well. from what i've read/heard, skycaddie has the most courses. Sonocaddie has overhead shots of the course showing actual course contours and costs less. both seem fairly user-friendly.

just wondering what experience any of you have had with either device (or any others). can you tell me any pros/cons of the device you use? which would you recommend, and why?

They're all the same, get one that doesn't require a subscription.

I'd get a golfbuddy and here is why Click Me and Read
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by neverman

thanks. that helped.

The pleasure was all mine. Report back on what you find out if you decide to take the plunge, regardless of brand/model.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

I have heard alot of good about the GolfGuru though I have not used one

I am considering buying a golf GPS soon, doing research right now... I am sure there are pros and cons of each brand. Heard good things about SkyCaddie and Golf Logix (I think Golf Logix uses Garmin's software which I think is quite good I have 2 Garmin GPS for cars and really like them
    Any further suggestions? Thanks

Get a Rangefinder. You can get a yardage to anything. One time payment. No subscription. I have a Bushnell and love it.

Tmac
    RCC Saskatchewan, Canada

Go with Golflogix, I have it & like it a lot. Very easy to use, no buttons to push, no sighting in, etc. Just glance at the screen & bam!! You have your yardage.
    Driver: TM R7 425 TP prolaunch red
    3w: TM Burner
    5w: TM Burner
    3H: TM Rescue
    5-GW: Titleist AP1's
    52º: Cleveland 588
    58º: Titleist Vokey
    Putter: TM Imola Rossa.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    I have a TomTom One. i think i'll hack the software and rig it for golf courses.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Many are good but be wary of the new software for cell phones especially iphones or any other phone that uses cellular tower triangulation. Many carriers are calling it "GPS" but is not accurate and I don't see how they can claim it would be useful for golf. I'd also be skeptical with any cell phone GPS period. There is a wide variation between the quality of the antennas and GPS chips in the cell phones and GPS devices. It is also mandatory that GPS device use the WAAS satellite.

I personally would not use any device that had an annual fee.

[Go with Golflogix, I have it & like it a lot. Very easy to use, no buttons to push, no sighting in, etc. Just glance at the screen & bam!! You have your yardage.]

Do you have 2007 or 2008 model? how much do you have to pay for yearly subscription?

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Do you have 2007 or 2008 model? how much do you have to pay for yearly subscription?
    2007 model, I believe the 08 version holds 20 courses while the 07 holds 10. $25 for the subscription but that includes unlimited downloads. If a course isn't mapped, I email them & usually within a week sometimes less it's done.
    Driver: TM R7 425 TP prolaunch red
    3w: TM Burner
    5w: TM Burner
    3H: TM Rescue
    5-GW: Titleist AP1's
    52º: Cleveland 588
    58º: Titleist Vokey
    Putter: TM Imola Rossa.

I narrow down my choice to either GolfLogix or Golf Buddy... will see

Still debating between the Bushnell Pinseeker vs Golf GPS. If you've used both then I would like to hear pros and cons. Thanks

My girlfriend got me a sonocaddie v300 for my birthday last week.(She's a keeper, no doubt.) So far I love the GPS.
    Things I like about the Sonocaddie thusfar:
    -Cool color display.
    -One time fee. (30 bucks) No annual subscription.
    -Small, lightweight, and WATERPROOF. That was big for me. I would hate to trash a $300 piece of electronics in the rain.
    -Sturdy
    -Accurate
    -Easy to use as well as easy to use scorecard feature.
    -You can add your own landmarks on the course as you play.
    -Track the distance of each shot. (Nice to find out how far I'm actually hitting my irons and depressing to find out how far I'm actually hitting my drives)

I honestly haven't found out anything I don't like about it so far. Consider this one. It's a good unit.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Thanks. I will lơok into this option

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    My girlfriend got me a sonocaddie v300 for my birthday last week.(She's a keeper, no doubt.) So far I love the GPS.
    Things I like about the Sonocaddie thusfar:
    -Cool color display.
    -One time fee. (30 bucks) No annual subscription.
    -Small, lightweight, and WATERPROOF. That was big for me. I would hate to trash a $300 piece of electronics in the rain.
    -Sturdy
    -Accurate
    -Easy to use as well as easy to use scorecard feature.
    -You can add your own landmarks on the course as you play.
    -Track the distance of each shot. (Nice to find out how far I'm actually hitting my irons and depressing to find out how far I'm actually hitting my drives)

I honestly haven't found out anything I don't like about it so far. Consider this one. It's a good unit.
    i've decided on the SonoCaddie V300 essentially for the reasons you list above, esp the NO ANNUAL FEES part. the following chart from Golfsmith helped too...

http://www.golfsmith.com/ps/display_...s_compare&ln=N

[i've decided on the SonoCaddie V300 essentially for the reasons you list above, esp the NO ANNUAL FEES part. the following chart from Golfsmith helped too...]

Thanks for the info. I wonder if consumer reports magz has any independent , unbiased comparison and recommendation. I think that by knowing the distance to your targets should lower your scores, but only a guess !!!

I'm asking for a range finder after using GPS for a while. GPS is good if you're always behind hills (not that often for me) and can't get a clear shot to a pin, but range finders are SO much more accurate. We've noticed up to a 5 yard difference between GPS and range finders. No more GPS for me!

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    I'm asking for a range finder after using GPS for a while. GPS is good if you're always behind hills (not that often for me) and can't get a clear shot to a pin, but range finders are SO much more accurate. We've noticed up to a 5 yard difference between GPS and range finders. No more GPS for me!
    Exactly how I feel on the subject. I love my nikon rangefinder.

I've considered rangefinders myself, but what about foggy & hazy conditions? That happens a lot in Arkansas. I like what I've read about the golf buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    I've considered rangefinders myself, but what about foggy & hazy conditions? That happens a lot in Arkansas. I like what I've read about the golf buddy.
    I had fog problems with a prior laser rangefinder but the Nikon always seems to get a fix even when it's somewhat foggy.

I might add that Golfsmith is offering the Nikon 1200 for $300 plus tax on their website that you can pick up in a store. That's an absolute killer deal on a great unit. I hae friends with the Bushnells and we use each others and find the Nikon to be much more effective. Typically the best price for this is around $400 and it's list is over $600.

How bulky is Nikon 1200 rangefinder? In general Nikon camera lenses are one of the best

Ok OK, you guys convince me... I went into Golfsmith website and did more reading, all reviewers in that site gave it 5-star rating, so I broke down and just order Nikon (Callaway) 1200 for $305.95 shipped. So I should have it next week. Hope that it works well like what you guys are saying. Why Callaway name on Nikon unit?

Why Callaway name on Nikon unit?
    Has to do with marketing and branding. When Nikon first introduced the 800 and 1200 they weren't known for being on par with the top brands and hadn't established themselves with golf retailers. They needed Callaway's brand assistance. The same unit has always been available with only the Nikon name. When you get it, make sure it's set to first target priority and get used to holding the button down after you press it so it's in scan mode.

[When you get it, make sure it's set to first target priority and get used to holding the button down after you press it so it's in scan mode.]

I assume that it will come with an easy-to-understand manual (hahaha...) , so
    (1) ...It's set to first target priority : Is it factory setting or we have to set it ourselve ? What does it do at that setting
    (2)... how long do you have to hold down the button after pressing? Why is it important "in scan mode"? what does it do?

I assume that when I have the unit everything would be clearer, but any hints/ recommendations in advance would be appreciated. Thanks

... and how long does the CR-2 battery last? thanks

When you get the unit and take it outside, you'll find it's all really simple. As a golf unit it should be factory set to first target priority, but as you play with the buttons you could inadvertantly get into a different mode. They make hunting rangefinders that differ only in that the default mode isn't first target. The instructions show you what icon to look for on the screen. The unit remains in scan mode as long as you hold the button down. You'll know that because as your aim point changes so won't the distance reading. The only other thing is if you wear glasses, you can rotate the eyepiece to change diopters.

The instructions are short and clear but the whole thing is incredibly simple.

I play alot of golf and the battery seems to last more than a year.

lorenzoinoc

Does the Nikon 1200 take into account of elevation changes? I went to Dick's Sporting Gơods store today , it does not have the 1200 model , but it has a 500 or 550 Nikon model (yellow) , lơoks very neat and easy to use. This model does not take into account of elevation changes

I'm guessing you aren't married. Maybe you were at one time and you ex is now in an insane asylum. P - relax, it's ok. This isn't a life changing decision. Get the unit and see how you like it. If you don't like it, you can resell it on E-Bay, maybe for a profit, once Golfsmith's deal is no longer available. No, the 1200 doesn't account for elevation changes. It also won't clean your clubs, won't shop for groceries and won't wipe your ass. That's life.

That said, there is a hummer setting that isn't in the manual. If you stop bugging me I might tell you how to access it.

My Nikon Callaway 1200 came in today, looks really good... It took me 2 min. to use it. Since it's designed and built for Callaway, it comes with "first target priority" ONLY since I can't find the other mode. It allows you to change from "Yd" to "M" and that's the ONLY chage that you have to do. The shortest distance that I could shoot at is about 15 yds. Since I wear glasses, I found that I could rotate the eyepiece to change diopters and that works very well. I am taking it out on a golf course tomorrow, it's 45-48F and sunny so I will be taking 1/2 day off and try this one out... So far so good...

You're right, the Callway is golf only so don't need to worry about modes, really. By scanning, which is the only way you'll end up shooting distances, readings are instantaneous, and you'll often pick a club for an approach by seeing how much to get on the green (i.e. back of a greenside bunker) and how much to the very back of the green, moreso than distance to the pin. That way you often end up going with a longer club if hazards at the front are extremely penal, or a shorter club if serious trouble is at the back. And with the Nikon, you can get those readings in a matter of seconds.The speed and ease will have you shooting fairway hazards with regularity as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    No, the 1200 doesn't account for elevation changes. It also won't clean your clubs, won't shop for groceries and won't wipe your ass.
    But after finding the range it does presumably select the correct club for the job, recommend a fade or draw depending on the wind conditions and pin placement and then execute the shot perfectly for you? Doesn't it?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I played with a Canadian guy at the weekend who had a range finder (don't know what brand) and every time I looked around he was staring through this damn thing. It reminded me of those tourists you see who spend their whole vacation staring through the lens of a video camera and never actually see the sights and sounds of a place until they play it back on their VCR/DVD once they get home.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I've been hesitant to say this, but I've held it in too long. Range finders are the domain of slow playing, anal retentive, no fun having choppers. True playas wouldn't be caught dead looking through those hack devices.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I took my Leupold RX-IV on the course once. Aside from giving me the true ballistic range to the pin, it did nothing for my score. I would rather use a yardage book. It fits in my pocket and I can look at it while walking to my ball and have my shot and club in mind when I get there. I am not a very good golfer but I have to maintain a rhythm and fooling around with my range finder took me out of it.

I spend more time giving my playing partners distances than I do getting distances for my shots. It is certainly faster than pacing distances. I've noticed over the last couple of years that courses are not maintaining their distance markings on sprinkler heads. Probably due to the advent of GPS and RF's.

Fact is most courses have pin sheets or marked distances of some kind so it's pretty easy to deduce if the pin is tucked to the front or the back of the green just by shooting the pin and looking at a near by marked distance. There's no need to shot distances to the front hazard unless the pin is tucked to the front or you have a half wedge shot that will not spin.

I do use the RF more on courses I haven't played off the tee to help get a driving lane. Or through the green on par 5's if there are hazards or to shot the 150 yard marker to get a relative distance to my layup.

I am unsure about the whole GPS/Rangefinder fad at the moment. My course will not introduce a local rule to allow them to be used in competition and my limited experience of them has not been inspiring. I suspect they are a gadget that is fun at first tedious after a while and eventually something that is left at home. I have always found a yardage book good enough and much cheaper. I suspect i am a little too traditional at heart.
    Cobra driver, Thragina, Numerous hybrids, Ping irons, Odyssey putter

That's great if you have a yardage book. Many courses do not and most of the ones that do are limited on the information and not very useful.

I've had my range finder for over a year and I use it all the time. Not sure about the GPS but using a range finder is no different than pulling the yardage book out of your back pocket. The only thing I wish I had was the greens mapped with a pin placement so you could plan your approach shot better. But then most courses do not publish a pin sheet let alone pin placements.

All I know is the my normal 4'some I play with are talking about getting one because they have come to depend on getting accurate distances. When I'm not playing with them they realize the convenience.

I played today using my Nikon 1200, it worked great. At least in 5 occasions that I would be short of the pin without the RF because of the back pin's location that you could not tell by just looking at it. It gave me the confidence in club selection, also it helped me in knowing how far I can hit my wedges. I don't care whether you have RF, GPS or none, enjoy what you have and never look back

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I've been hesitant to say this, but I've held it in too long. Range finders are the domain of slow playing, anal retentive, no fun having choppers. True playas wouldn't be caught dead looking through those hack devices.
    You know, flaming isn't going to make your inlaws leave. And if they've already left, it won't keep them from coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    I spend more time giving my playing partners distances than I do getting distances for my shots. It is certainly faster than pacing distances. I've noticed over the last couple of years that courses are not maintaining their distance markings on sprinkler heads. Probably due to the advent of GPS and RF's.

Fact is most courses have pin sheets or marked distances of some kind so it's pretty easy to deduce if the pin is tucked to the front or the back of the green just by shooting the pin and looking at a near by marked distance. There's no need to shot distances to the front hazard unless the pin is tucked to the front or you have a half wedge shot that will not spin.

I do use the RF more on courses I haven't played off the tee to help get a driving lane. Or through the green on par 5's if there are hazards or to shot the 150 yard marker to get a relative distance to my layup.
    If I'm playing poorly, eyeball distances are usually fine for me. But when I'm playing well, I want to know exactly the distance to pins and often hazards. If I have a shot at breaking par for the day, I want caddy type distances but I don't want to slow anything down to get them. But there are alot of situations to distinguish. If I'm playing greens with severe tiers (I often am), I want to know the back distance to the proper tier and often use that as my strarting point. If your greens require less planning baseed on topography and hazards, the markers every 50 yards often provide plenty of info even without pacing anything off. There are RF's that I find invite slow play, and others you can use to get all the distances you need in seconds. And I agree that if I don't know the course well, the greatest value they provide is defining the driving lanes.

Right on. Real golfers can get a feel for what club to hit without the use of chopper aids like range finders, yardage books, or 150 metre markers. If you can't judge distance with your eye, and judge wind strength and direction by looking at the flag, you might as well save yourself some time and just out right now and get yourself a set of Pings or other chopper shovels to make the game easier.

P.S. HB, Your restraint is admirable. This thread has been going for a while and it must have taken great strength not to state the bleeding obvious to these hackers earlier.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Right on. Real golfers can get a feel for what club to hit without the use of chopper aids like range finders, yardage books, or 150 metre markers. r.
    Yes, but real golfers don't play on 4,200 yard "courses" so your perspective isn't valid.

Hi did u get the scycaddie.

I bought the skycaddie sg5 not uesd it yet, but reading the user guide, it does not say how to map your course, any info wellcome.

My friend has a SonoCaddie GPS so we compare notes when we play golf. Distance to greens we are off about 5 yds, no big deal since 99% of players are not that accurate anyway. I think it's because my RF tells me the distance to the pin and his GPS can only tells the distance to front/back/center of the green. The biggest distance discrepancy is the distance to clear troubles like wetland, creeks , bunkers... they could be as much as 10 yds (not sure why), Of course I trust my RF than GPS in that case. I really enjoy my Nikon Callaway LS 1200 (especially when I caught it on sale, thanks to lorenzoinoc (*_*) . I just like the fact that RF does not have to deal with software download - I don't like bugs in softwares - and RF does not eat battery like GPS does. But, enjoy what you have

Thanks Just got the sg5 not used it yet, All the course around me are maped bar the one i use looks good on maped course but need to map my course myself dont now how to start from the tee box, User guide only says how to do the green.

He was stand'n long way from da hole
    Wonder'n how far to go
    Think I'll go for it... what the heck
    Hit the ole driver off the deck
    His buddy said "wait a minute Dick"
    It's only 302 to the stick

Sky Caddie.....Sky Caddie..... the greatest thing i ever seen
    You'll never ...never ...never miss the green

Now he knew exactly what to do
    Use a long iron ( I think it was a 2)
    The driver went back into the bag
    His iron flew beside the flag

Sky Caddie Sky Caddie .... How low can you Go?
    Without one ... you'll never never never ever Know

He thought-- is buying one the right thing to do
    "I Know! , I'll ask the guys at golf review"
    They said " Are you a PLAYA or a hack"
    If you got one go bring the thing back
    Mizunos and rangefinders is what you'll play
    if ya don't get off this forum today

Sky caddie......sky caddie I thought you were so much fun
    until the guys here said never never never use one........

To the tune of sky piolit by the animals

If you are concerned about being really accurate in your distances, get SkyCaddie. As far as I know it is the only one that actually maps the course by walking around it while communicating with a satellite. All the others use over head photos to extrapolate their data. Read my posts under some of the other SkyCaddie threads. If you want cheap then their are other options. But for accuracy the SkyCaddie's Inteli-green can't be beat.
    David Dicks,
    Handicap: 11
    In my bag:
    TaylorMade 2007 Burner (Standard Stiff Shaft)
    Callaway 5-PW Fusion WS Irons
    Callaway Big Bertha II 3,5 & 7 FW woods
    Callaway 54 & 60 Wedges
    Odyssey Putter

Quote Originally Posted by SCATY
    Thanks Just got the sg5 not used it yet, All the course around me are maped bar the one i use looks good on maped course but need to map my course myself dont now how to start from the tee box, User guide only says how to do the green.
    the user guide probably has proper spelling & correct grammar. as such, i doubt you're able to read it all.

I agree that there are currently too many Skycaddie threads. I recommend that we all boycott all of them, immediately.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

What to buy

Skycaddie is to range finders as Titleist is to balls. I have an SG2.5 and it's all anyone would ever need for finding distances. I had ( and sold ) a Bushnell Pinseeker 1500, due to the extra task of having to sight in each shot. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but spending five to ten seconds over half your shots adds up, and takes away from your concentration, or at least it did for me. The Pinseeker 1500 is deadly accurate, but no more so than my SG2.5, and I wear the SG on my belt and it takes maybe two seconds to get yardage. Also, the shot mark option where you can get the distance on the course of how far you hit your irons is something a laser won't give you. Anyone who can play will tell you that the distance you hit your shots on the range isn't the same as when you're on the course. For me it's an easy choice, GPS over Laser, and Skycaddie is the best there is. Yes, you have to pay a subscription price, but you get what you pay for.

I've been using my Nikon Callaway LS1200 range finder for over a month now, absolutely wonderful. My friend's GPS SonoCaddie V300 could be off as much as 10 yds depending on location of a pin, that's one club for me... No golf GPS for me, thanks, no course download, no fees, no software problem, no battery charge... I am very happy with my range finder, it will last a life time ...and next generation

Hi , I am sorry I cannot help you with your question , I have never used GPS , it is so expensive for me .
    www.ebayoyo.com

Quote Originally Posted by tomhot
    Hi , I am sorry I cannot help you with your question , I have never used GPS , it is so expensive for me .
    Thanks for adding to the conversation.

I also don't use those slow-playing, anal-retentive hack devices. By default, the best one is the one that takes the least amount of time to use. I don't care if it's accurate or not, just hurry the f*ck up and hit your shot, chopstix.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

[I also don't use those slow-playing, anal-retentive hack devices. By default, the best one is the one that takes the least amount of time to use. I don't care if it's accurate or not, just hurry the f*ck up and hit your shot, chopstix.]

Real golfer won't need a real caddie either. I wonder how well Tiger Wơơds would do if he played without his caddie ....

[I also don't use those slow-playing, anal-retentive hack devices. By default, the best one is the one that takes the least amount of time to use. I don't care if it's accurate or not, just hurry the f*ck up and hit your shot, chopstix.]

Real golfer won't need a real caddie either. I wonder how well Tiger Wơơds would do if he played without his caddie ....
    You are not Tiger Woods nor are you playing for any considerable amount of money. It doesn't matter if your chopper-binoculars are off by 0 or 3 yards because you are likely not good enough for it to matter.

The reason Tiger is the best golfer on the planet has very little to do with the dude carrying his luggage.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

he would probably beat you 10&8....

HB,

You are probably right about the GPS being a hacker device. However, as a hacker, I really enjoy using mine. I would also argue that I play faster with my Sky Caddie than without it. I leave it clipped to the bag and glance at it before selecting a club. Once in a blue moon I will use it to measure out how far I hit a club. I played most of last year between a 10 and 14 handicap. (I finished around 11.) So, I admit I'm not a great golfer. But I'm getting better and I would argue that the skycaddie is not only helping me get better, but also helping me play faster... Which, by all accounts should make the players (like you) very happy. So, don't bag on SkyCaddie. Embrace it as a device that helps us hackers get the heck out of your way faster!

Remember it is us hackers playing all the time that helps keep the prices at the course down for the players like you.

PS > I think the longest round my foresome played all of last year was no more than 4 hours, 15 minutes... But, most often, on our home course, we take the first tee time and with nobody in front of us we are done in less than 3.
    Regards,

Puma

In the bag (Subject to change at any time):
    TM Burner driver
    TM Burner 3 Wood
    TM Rescue Hybrid 4
    Callaway Irons
    Cleveland CG12 52
    Cleveland CG12 60
    Odyssey Tri-Ball (Biggest, ugliest putter on the planet)
    Callaway HX Hot ball

I have an AT&T Tilt phone that already has an active GPS device on it. I downloaded Google maps on it to use for navigation (because it was free and works great) but I have been considering this golf software to load on it and try out. http://www.intelligolf.com/dieagleppc.asp It not only supplies GPS for my course, but it also has scoring systems for some of the favorite games my golfing buddies and I play.

Anybody heard of this or used it?

I don't think gps' slow play down. They are quicker that looking for sprinkler heads. I use mine exactly like Puma said. Quick glance, then shoot. I've seen plenty of low markers hold up play with 20 minute putting routines. Honestly though, I think they are just cool gadgets. I am a fan of the gadget as an institution.

For those who say the GPS is off by 10 yards. Some courses aren't mapped that well but can be fixed easily.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    I don't think gps' slow play down. They are quicker that looking for sprinkler heads. I use mine exactly like Puma said. Quick glance, then shoot. I've seen plenty of low markers hold up play with 20 minute putting routines. Honestly though, I think they are just cool gadgets. I am a fan of the gadget as an institution.

For those who say the GPS is off by 10 yards. Some courses aren't mapped that well but can be fixed easily.
    My experience with skycaddies and the other chopper yardage gadgets is much different, and I believe much more common. One guy in the foursome has one and the other three are powerless to pull a club without consulting the skycaddie.
    If every single chopper had a skycaddie on his belt, I've got no problem.
    The SPCC and most of the courses I've ever played have plates at 100, 150 and 200 in the middle of the fairway. It doesn't take a math wizard to guesstimate the distance to hole within a few yards.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

most of the courses I've ever played have plates at 100, 150 and 200 in the middle of the fairway. It doesn't take a math wizard to guesstimate the distance to hole within a few yards.
    Oh come on Horseballs. You could be as much as 4-5 yards out!!!!! Same with the Skycaddie GPS. Compared to a rangefinder it can be as much as 3 yards out!!!!!

That's why if I get one of these anal retentive hack devices I will go for the pinpoint accuracy of the hand held range finder. I don't want to miss the target because I got bum information from a GPS.

Then again the shot dispersion of my POS cast CB irons is only accurate to within 5-7 yards compared to 1-2 yards with blades according to Iron Byron so I guess I'm screwed either way.

Now where the f#ck am I?

My experience with skycaddies and the other chopper yardage gadgets is much different, and I believe much more common. One guy in the foursome has one and the other three are powerless to pull a club without consulting the skycaddie.
    What really annoys me is watching a playing partner walk the desert looking for a sprinkler head or yardage marker. Or the following dialogue: "there's one right there" followed by "where?" followed by "over there"...etc....etc. It's easier just to shoot the fkn distance with the laser. Or hold up the device, not actually take the trouble to shoot it and just make up a number.

It doesn't take a math wizard to guesstimate the distance to hole within a few yards.
    If that's true, how come we never see Koreans using Skycaddies?

What really annoys me is watching a playing partner walk the desert looking for a sprinkler head or yardage marker. Or the following dialogue: "there's one right there" followed by "where?" followed by "over there"...etc....etc. It's easier just to shoot the fkn distance with the laser. Or hold up the device, not actually take the trouble to shoot it and just make up a number.

because they are busy keeping the scorecards for the australians. duh

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    because they are busy keeping the scorecards for the australians. duh
    And since most Aussies cant count above 100 its no wonder NAH has to get Koreans to keep score, from what i can tell its a surprise the Korean didnt complain and ask for a calculator

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

See that's my point. If these devices were handed out to every chopper on the course, I wouldn't have as much of an issue with them. The dude out in the middle of the desert has to wait for you to come help with your laser because he is conditioned to NEED the inch-precise yardage.
    One of my favorite skycaddie moves is the dude who checks the carry yardage over every square inch on the hole, then procedes to powerfade the shot into the corn field.
    I thought we decided Koreans were in fact math wizards (hence the slope nickname)? Of course they don't need skycaddies.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I thought we decided Koreans were in fact math wizards (hence the slope nickname)? Of course they don't need skycaddies.
    That was my original point. There seems to be confusion so let's all agree Koreans are called Slopeheads because of their strong math skills, not because of something physical. Similar to my having the nickname John Holmes. It has nothing to do with length or girth. I think.

Similar to my having the nickname John Holmes. It has nothing to do with length or girth. I think.
    I think it has to do with AIDS.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

That was my original point. There seems to be confusion so let's all agree Koreans are called Slopeheads because of their strong math skills, not because of something physical. Similar to my having the nickname John Holmes. It has nothing to do with length or girth. I think.
    So like John Holmes your Gay 4 Pay??

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    So like John Holmes your Gay 4 Pay??

Edgey
    WHATT???

The legendary stallion that was JH didn't do any gay scenes did he?

Maybe that's how he got AIDS. I thought it was from shooting heroin with dirty needles.

Now where the f#ck am I?

You fellas will have to ask your moms what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    WHATT???

Maybe that's how he got AIDS. I thought it was from shooting heroin with dirty needles.
    I don't care if you call me gay, AIDS ridden or whatever. But I do not use dirty needles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    WHATT???

He was f ucking galloping mate, i know i have the videos.....................shite what a giveaway

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    He was f ucking galloping mate, i know i have the videos.....................shite what a giveaway
    You're English and you play a Lovett. We already knew.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I have an AT&T Tilt phone that already has an active GPS device on it. I downloaded Google maps on it to use for navigation (because it was free and works great) but I have been considering this golf software to load on it and try out. http://www.intelligolf.com/dieagleppc.asp It not only supplies GPS for my course, but it also has scoring systems for some of the favorite games my golfing buddies and I play.

I sure hate to interrupt the great knowledge and insight into the porno industry, but I was wondering if anyone could answer this post . . . .

you play a Lovett
    But perhaps for not much longer................

At the risk of getting this thread back on track, I'd like to respond once more to HorseBalls. I understand your issue with hackers and slow play. But, I would once again argue that my foursome (we are all 10 - 18 handicaps) play our rounds in under 4 hours - sometimes way under. My theory is that players who play slow do so not because of their GPS, rangefinders, or even sprinkler heads. My theory is that they play slow because they are either too dumb to know what they are supposed to be doing. Or they've watched way too many televised golf tournaments on TV and believe that they need to plumb bob for a half hour, after testing the wind for twenty minutes, then they remain completely still and silent when some guy six holes over is approaching the tee. They, for some reason, believe they are on Augusta National every time they drop 20 bucks to loop the local muni.

Remember their are two types of Hackers. The type that know what they are doing, they just aren't as good as they'd like to be, and those that are completely clueless. I'd like to consider myself in the first category.
    Regards,

Puma

TM Burner driver
    TM Burner 3 Wood
    TM Rescue Hybrid 4
    Callaway Irons
    Cleveland CG12 52
    Cleveland CG12 60
    Callaway HX Hot ball

I sure hate to interrupt the great knowledge and insight into the porno industry, but I was wondering if anyone could answer this post . . . .

I read something about it..someone got shipped a unit and it didn't work as soon as they took it out of the box. Company would only replace it with a refurbished unit even though his was brand new JUST Out of the box.

Good product >.<
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma with a putter
    At the risk of getting this thread back on track, I'd like to respond once more to HorseBalls. I understand your issue with hackers and slow play. But, I would once again argue that my foursome (we are all 10 - 18 handicaps) play our rounds in under 4 hours - sometimes way under. My theory is that players who play slow do so not because of their GPS, rangefinders, or even sprinkler heads. My theory is that they play slow because they are either too dumb to know what they are supposed to be doing. Or they've watched way too many televised golf tournaments on TV and believe that they need to plumb bob for a half hour, after testing the wind for twenty minutes, then they remain completely still and silent when some guy six holes over is approaching the tee. They, for some reason, believe they are on Augusta National every time they drop 20 bucks to loop the local muni.

Remember their are two types of Hackers. The type that know what they are doing, they just aren't as good as they'd like to be, and those that are completely clueless. I'd like to consider myself in the first category.
    I think my Ping DOC 15 is definately larger and uglier than your, frankly, namby pamby Tri Ball

Edgey

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    I read something about it..someone got shipped a unit and it didn't work as soon as they took it out of the box. Company would only replace it with a refurbished unit even though his was brand new JUST Out of the box.

Good product >.<
    That can't happen on the product I posted because it is "software" not an actual device. The software is sold and designed to download to your mobile phone (if you have an active GPS device in your phone) and allow you to use your smartphone to work like any other golf GPS device.

That can't happen on the product I posted because it is "software" not an actual device. The software is sold and designed to download to your mobile phone (if you have an active GPS device in your phone) and allow you to use your smartphone to work like any other golf GPS device.

Ah. They must provide both.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

I concede... You're right...
    Regards,

Puma

TM Burner driver
    TM Burner 3 Wood
    TM Rescue Hybrid 4
    Callaway Irons
    Cleveland CG12 52
    Cleveland CG12 60
    Callaway HX Hot ball

I think these guys that aren't on board with gps or rangefinders are all scratch and their foursomes play ready golf. I wish I could be like them..............

I recommend going with a range finder. Last week I purchased the new smart phone application from Golflogix for my Blackberry. It did not work and tech support is non-existent, even after calling by phone, numerous emails (even to the president of the co.). Please learn from my bitter experience and don't go with this solution. I have a Bushnell v2 and love it.

I really like my Golflogix. No need to push any buttons for basic info. The biggest advantage to any of these units are front/middle/back of green yardages and layup yardages. Really helps course management.
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

I have the HTC Mogul. I considered this option as well. A couple problems make it a poor choice:

1. GPS uses too much power to last an entire round.
    2. The screen is way to hard to read in the sunlight outdoors.

I got an SG4 on sale at Golfsmith about three weeks ago for 200.00
    I purchased the membership option for my state.
    Very happy with the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by neverman

Right on. I have both and will sell the Skycaddy. The Golf Buddy has worked like a charm everywhere I have been, Palm Springs, LV, Hawaii, and all over S. California. It knows immediately which course you're on and which hole you're playing.

I think one big difference is that the Buddy is looking at 7 or more satellites--and the Skycaddy accesses fewer.

Larry

Calls to the president went unanswered ...
    GPS was unavailable
    Golfer had to rely on guts, courage and experience
    Tragedy

"what would Wiggles do?"
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

I guess that's it then. The real men forge ahead without the girlish reliance on electronic gadgets, apps, and other mental garter belts.

This topic is completed.

Cherrio.

"wwwd"
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

Just came across this thread...I got the Callaway Upro and love it. It has the actual satelite photo of the course and green. Precise measurements (I compared with my friends Skycaddie G5 - bang on), very user friendly and only costs about $2 / course.

Quote Originally Posted by oil9911
    Just came across this thread...I got the Callaway Upro and love it. It has the actual satelite photo of the course and green. Precise measurements (I compared with my friends Skycaddie G5 - bang on), very user friendly and only costs about $2 / course.
    I've been using an earlier model. It's quite reliable.....
    Name:  tape.jpg
Views: 5097
Size:  3.3 KB
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Quote Originally Posted by divotman
    i'm thinking of getting a golf GPS in the next month or so (maybe for Christmas

it seems everyone if buying the Skycaddie, but i've seen others on the market as well. from what i've read/heard, skycaddie has the most courses. Sonocaddie has overhead shots of the course showing actual course contours and costs less. both seem fairly user-friendly.

just wondering what experience any of you have had with either device (or any others). can you tell me any pros/cons of the device you use? which would you recommend, and why?
    Most of the guys I've talked to say that they hit their irons short of the green when using GPS devices. Strange phenomenon and I'm not sure why but I have heard it over and over. I think it's because most golfers think they hit the ball farther than they really do.

I got the Garmin G5 GPS from the wife for X-mas. It is a straight forward simple to operate device and it is built to last. Some have had issues with the limited course database but Garmin has fixed this and I have had no issues with the courses I play. I like the easy touch screen use but I have yet to give it an on the course run since the snows have laid claim to the land.

Is there any subscription? I use a laser and prefer that to GPS in most cases. However, if I did buy a GPS it would definitely be one that did not have a subscription. I occasionally use GreenFinder on the iPhone. It was expensive as far as apps go ($34.99), but super cheap compared to a dedicated golf GPS.

No subscription with the G5.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolCat
    Is there any subscription? I use a laser and prefer that to GPS in most cases. However, if I did buy a GPS it would definitely be one that did not have a subscription. I occasionally use GreenFinder on the iPhone. It was expensive as far as apps go ($34.99), but super cheap compared to a dedicated golf GPS.
    Does it work well?
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Yeah, it does. Totally kills the battery and you kind of need to plan ahead, but functionality-wise it's great. If your course is not mapped you can request it to be mapped or map it yourself. Not sure how quickly they are getting to requests, but if you play at the same course most of the time it would probably be better to map it yourself.

Thread Information