|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

If this had happened to me, I would have never played golf again...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...3496&name=golf

This has to be one of the most humiliating stories ever, could you imagine having a legend watch you at your worst moment?

"In the early '90s, I was a guest at the Shady Oak Club in Fort Worth, Texas. Founded by Ben Hogan, by this time, the elderly Ben would spend his days in the grill overlooking the 18th hole. I was 12-over-par after 17 that day and was feeling good about my round until my approach at 18 found one of the greenside bunkers. I grabbed my sand wedge and as I readied to hit the shot, I noticed that Mr. Hogan was standing at the window watching me. Shaking like a leaf and with a bad case of the nervous sweats, I proceeded to blade the ball and hit it directly into the bunker on the opposite side of the green. I then repeated the performance and ended up about one foot from my original lie in the first bunker. As I readied my third bunker shot, I looked up towards the grill window and watched as Hogan sadly shook his head and turned away from the window, probably wondering who had let this bumbling cretin on his course. To this day, when I'm asked about the quality of my game, I honestly reply that I have a game that disgusted Ben Hogan."
    "Golf is such an easy game, even a human can do it."
    -Dr. Zaius-

Though the viewing victim was simply a local marshall on a muni, I always remember my experience when I was just taking up golf again after a very long hiatus. I was at the tee box for a par 4. In front of the tee box and to the left is a water hazard. It only takes about 125 yards to clear it hitting straight, and about 150 you hit a dead pull. The ranger pulls up in his cart off to the right of the tee box shortly before I was getting ready to hit. I kept waiting for him to move on, but he just stayed there. Oh, well.....just ignore him and hit the ball. I topped the ball right into the water. Reload.....topped the ball into the water a second time. The beads of perspiration are beginning to show on my brow. Why won't the guy just move on and leave me in peace? Third time's a charm. Plunk.....three balls in a row into the water hazard. AAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH. But I kept playing.

When I was somewhat better but still a fairly inconsistent player, I was playing the same course one quiet weekday afternoon. I was by myself and making good time, having a pretty good round by my standards at the time. The foursome ahead of me waved me to hit up to play through on a short par 3 with water left, since there was no one in front of them. One of the people in the group was one of the course employees from the pro shop. I managed to block my shot short and right. Fine; no problem. I can still up and down this. I proceeded to blade my pitch shot through the green into the rough. OK, this is embarrassing, but just play on and keep your cool. I then chunked my next shot short of the green, followed by another bladed wedge into a bunker on the other side of the green. I finally hobbled out of the easy par 3 with a 7. I'm sure they were all really happy with their decision to let me play through........
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

According to Johnny Miller, Craig Parry knows how this poor guy felt.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Though the viewing victim was simply a local marshall on a muni, I always remember my experience when I was just taking up golf again after a very long hiatus. I was at the tee box for a par 4. In front of the tee box and to the left is a water hazard. It only takes about 125 yards to clear it hitting straight, and about 150 you hit a dead pull. The ranger pulls up in his cart off to the right of the tee box shortly before I was getting ready to hit. I kept waiting for him to move on, but he just stayed there. Oh, well.....just ignore him and hit the ball. I topped the ball right into the water. Reload.....topped the ball into the water a second time. The beads of perspiration are beginning to show on my brow. Why won't the guy just move on and leave me in peace? Third time's a charm. Plunk.....three balls in a row into the water hazard. AAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH. But I kept playing.

When I was somewhat better but still a fairly inconsistent player, I was playing the same course one quiet weekday afternoon. I was by myself and making good time, having a pretty good round by my standards at the time. The foursome ahead of me waved me to hit up to play through on a short par 3 with water left, since there was no one in front of them. One of the people in the group was one of the course employees from the pro shop. I managed to block my shot short and right. Fine; no problem. I can still up and down this. I proceeded to blade my pitch shot through the green into the rough. OK, this is embarrassing, but just play on and keep your cool. I then chunked my next shot short of the green, followed by another bladed wedge into a bunker on the other side of the green. I finally hobbled out of the easy par 3 with a 7. I'm sure they were all really happy with their decision to let me play through........
    These are perfect examples of when you should have backed away, taken stock, cleared your mind, then gone back and hit. I hjave noticed that something doesn't have to majorly distract me to make me hit a poor shot. My simple test now is if I even recognise something happening around me, I know I have lost concentration and walk away and go through the routine again. In a case like you mentioned, with a bit of concious effort, I now have the ability to concentrate to the extent that I can ignore it and focus on the shot. The main time I have to walk away and go through the routine again is when something untoward (sudden movement, noise, hacker rattling around in his bag, velcro unstrrapping etc) happens just as I'm ready to pull the trigger. As I said, I even so much as acknowledge something, I know it has crept into my conciousness and will take my focus away from the shot at hand.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    These are perfect examples of when you should have backed away, taken stock, cleared your mind, then gone back and hit. I hjave noticed that something doesn't have to majorly distract me to make me hit a poor shot. My simple test now is if I even recognise something happening around me, I know I have lost concentration and walk away and go through the routine again. In a case like you mentioned, with a bit of concious effort, I now have the ability to concentrate to the extent that I can ignore it and focus on the shot. The main time I have to walk away and go through the routine again is when something untoward (sudden movement, noise, hacker rattling around in his bag, velcro unstrrapping etc) happens just as I'm ready to pull the trigger. As I said, I even so much as acknowledge something, I know it has crept into my conciousness and will take my focus away from the shot at hand.
    Absolutely. I know that NOW. Back then I was at the stage of, "I'm not going to let that bother me. I'm NOT going to let that bother me......" The outcome is almost inevitable after that.
    Now I would just stop, regroup mentally, wait, go through my pre shot routine, and then go on ahead. Also, playing a much more decent game now I'm not as self conscious around strangers, and in fact enjoy getting paired up with a total stranger if I'm by myself on a weekday afternoon. I play with a regular weekend group.

Absolutely. I know that NOW. Back then I was at the stage of, "I'm not going to let that bother me. I'm NOT going to let that bother me......" The outcome is almost inevitable after that.
    Now I would just stop, regroup mentally, wait, go through my pre shot routine, and then go on ahead. Also, playing a much more decent game now I'm not as self conscious around strangers, and in fact enjoy getting paired up with a total stranger if I'm by myself on a weekday afternoon. I play with a regular weekend group.
    Funnily enough I play some of my best shots when in front of a crowd. If I know there are people watching me I can concentrate even harder and almost always pull off a good shot. As I said the crucial time for me is the seconds just before I pull the trigger, although I really need to have no distractions throughout the whole routine. If I hear something or see something during my routine, I try to stop and walk away. Occassionally I don't have the discipline to take my own advice and try to tell myself that I can block it out and go ahead with the shot, but the damage has been done and if I don't back away I always hit a crap shot.

Speaking of discipline, I remember a couple years back Tiger stopping and backing off at the top of his backswing when a camera clicked off. I am in awe of that kind of mental strength. That's one reason why he's the man.

of, "I'm , and in fact enjoy getting paired up with a total stranger if I'm by myself on a weekday afternoon.
    Uggh. I can't stand playing with people I don't know. I get nerves on the first tee when I play alone. Last week another single and I got to the first tee at the same time, a nice older gent. He says we can play together so neither of us have to wait. I could feel my blood pressure rise. I say OK , the sole reason being that I have to get over this crap.
    First drive, pushed into the woods, punch out to nice smooth PW distance. SHANK!!!! Nice! Got my quadruple. Parred the next hole. I'm glad I played with him though. He was a nice guy and it's good to meet some of the members. (I think I'm the only member of my club under 60.) When we were done he said,"On certain holes it almost looked like you knew what you were doing." That's my game unfortunately.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Uggh. I can't stand playing with people I don't know. I get nerves on the first tee when I play alone. Last week another single and I got to the first tee at the same time, a nice older gent. He says we can play together so neither of us have to wait. I could feel my blood pressure rise. I say OK , the sole reason being that I have to get over this crap.
    First drive, pushed into the woods, punch out to nice smooth PW distance. SHANK!!!! Nice! Got my quadruple. Parred the next hole. I'm glad I played with him though. He was a nice guy and it's good to meet some of the members. (I think I'm the only member of my club under 60.) When we were done he said,"On certain holes it almost looked like you knew what you were doing." That's my game unfortunately.
    My dad was that way. Any time we got matched up with strangers, I could predict with 95% probability that his next 3 holes were going to be disasters before he settled down and started playing golf again.

I have a friend like this. If we're playing for a fair amount of money and I know this in advance, I try to book the time and include people he doesn't know. I don't think he's figured any of this out.

LMFAO .....the funny thing here is that the marshal probably had a worse golf game than you. But honestly you froze up like a turd in the snow over a marshal watching you on a par 3 . Who gives a rats bum what he thinks or anybody thinks of your golf game. If theres one thing thats common with all golfers its 1. they are a very judgmental group 2. They are always worried about what other golfers think of them 3. are only committed to looking good and 4. always on the verge of being upset. If you would have just played your game and not even worried about some guy watching you , you probably would have had a better outcome on that hole .

Quote Originally Posted by ProStatus
    LMFAO .....the funny thing here is that the marshal probably had a worse golf game than you. But honestly you froze up like a turd in the snow over a marshal watching you on a par 3 . Who gives a rats bum what he thinks or anybody thinks of your golf game. If theres one thing thats common with all golfers its 1. they are a very judgmental group 2. They are always worried about what other golfers think of them 3. are only committed to looking good and 4. always on the verge of being upset. If you would have just played your game and not even worried about some guy watching you , you probably would have had a better outcome on that hole .
    These events occurred quite a few years ago, so I can look back with self-deprecating humor, somewhat like Kevin in "The Wonder Years" or Ralphie in "Christmas Story."
    Yup....I was a chump.....and I can look back and laugh. Those things wouldn't bother me now.

These events occurred quite a few years ago, so I can look back with self-deprecating humor, somewhat like Kevin in "The Wonder Years" or Ralphie in "Christmas Story."
    Yup....I was a chump.....and I can look back and laugh. Those things wouldn't bother me now.
    Sorry, but if we at some point play for money we're doing a "This is Your Life" segment before the round and I'm digging up that old marshal. It'll be your worst experience all over again....unless your worst experience was anything like Golfaholic's. I don't want any part of something like that.

I would have dragged Hogan's old bones down to the bunker and had him hit the shot.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Thread Information