|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Scratches on Forged Irons

Yesterday was the first of my MP52 on course. After playing, my 8 iron has short deep scratches on the sole. I might have hit some pebbles. Is it normal to have scratches like that on forged irons ?

If you would like to continue using the irons, just put clear package tape over them before every shot. Or, if you're really fearful and don't want them scratched put them in a plexiglass case above your fireplace...

Yeah, there are pebbles in the ground...they scratch clubs. Is this a serious post?

I was using cast irons before. The scratches weren't that bad.

Better start using a brush tee on those short par 3's.

Gotcha. Yeah, forged metal is usually a bit softer than the cast. Every forged iron I've seen that gets used has plenty of dings. It's easier once you have more than 3 scratches. Then each ding adds character.

Little scratches are to be expected on any new clubs. What annoys me is when you get a big chunk taken from the bottom of a brand new 3 iron after hitting a boulder sized rock in the middle of a designated drop zone. And it makes things worse when the drop zone is also on uneven ground where you couldn't get a decent stance either. Happened to me a few years back. It's typical of the apathy of greenskeepers when it comes to setting up a course.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Several years ago, I had a minor temper tantrum and slammed my PW into the ground (not with great force, but just for dramatic effect after a blown shot.) The clubs were forged Bridgestone irons, and I just happened to hit over a small pebble just beneath the grass. It left a significant horizontal gouge in the sole. It's pretty humiliating to have a HORIZONTAL gouge on the sole of an iron, 90 degrees from the direction you'd get from hitting a rock with a swing. I learned my lesson about immature outbursts, since it was a relatively expensive lesson. I ended up replacing the club, because the gouge was pretty deep.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Ummm... boo hoo?

Clubs are meant to get beat up over time. Just do your best to protect the face of the clubs and you'll be fine. Marks anywhere else are hardly going to change the way the clubs perform.

Used does not mean abused, if you catch my drift. Abused is deep dents on the face. Used is a few nicks and gouges worn into the soles and some bag-chatter marks on the backs. It happens. We play golf outdoors on real turf. Besides, a swing only damages one club at a time. If you can afford the full set of them, then you can afford to replace one of them once in awhile too, if necessary.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

I've had my forged irons for 4 years and the soles are beat the hell. As CG said, it will get easier after they've all had some scars.
    As Jim Rome would say, "Man's game."
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Have you considered some neoprene iron covers? Not only do they protect your irons, but they look super cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 3 Wiggle
    Have you considered some neoprene iron covers? Not only do they protect your irons, but they look super cool.
    Wiggle

Now that is ironic, well done we will make an Englishman of you yet

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Little scratches are to be expected on any new clubs. What annoys me is when you get a big chunk taken from the bottom of a brand new 3 iron after hitting a boulder sized rock in the middle of a designated drop zone. And it makes things worse when the drop zone is also on uneven ground where you couldn't get a decent stance either. Happened to me a few years back. It's typical of the apathy of greenskeepers when it comes to setting up a course.
    NAH

This post makes no sense at all

Firstly you were in a drop zone, get away with ya

Secondly, you still use a 3 iron?!, i thought you had purchased a rescue iron to replace those hard to hit long irons.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

You see this is what the Mizuno Nazis didn't tell you about grain flow forged irons. In order to get all the wonderful pure feel, responsiveness and feedback that you only get from grain flow forged mizunos you sacrifice durability. This is so that you can feel every stone, pebble or grain of sand that gets between the ball and the clubface at contact and provide pure detailed feedback that will lead to you instantly sorting out any swing flaws and becoming a great ball striker.

Wait a minute ... did you say MP-52's? Aren't they SGI CB POS GFF Irons?

Hmm ... not sure. This might only apply to Mizuno GFF blades.
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 11-19-2008 at 10:54 AM.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    NAH

you still use a 3 iron?!, i thought you had purchased a rescue iron to replace those hard to hit long irons.

Edgey
    No, he plays at a Par 62 Pitch N Putt. The longest iron he needs is a 7 iron.

The 3 iron stays in the bag for punching out from under the shrubs besides the ladies tees on one of NAH's many miscued drives.
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 11-19-2008 at 10:52 AM.

Now where the f#ck am I?

For Edgey and Kiwi's edification,

I was in a drop zone because a large part of the fairway was GUR and they had a drop zone. It was when I was playing a longer course and was my second shot on a par 5. And of course I used a 3 iron. Your attempt at flaming was so pathetic I won't even bite about the hybrid jibe.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Okay. Thanks for sharing. Now I know a character of forged irons. Yet to discover more soon besides the widely known buttery feel.

I feel psycho becoz it was the first day of usage. Couldn't sleep properly last nite. Next time, I will consider buying used forged sets. That way, I won't be feeling much regret. Hope my irons will last at least 5 years from now.

Check the loft and lie regularly too. The impact into the ground can throw them off pretty easily. Gravity also affects the loft and lie by 6.2x10^ -45675352159458 millimeters/year.

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    Check the loft and lie regularly too. The impact into the ground can throw them off pretty easily. Gravity also affects the loft and lie by 6.2x10^ -45675352159458 millimeters/year.
    This may be enough to get onetime/twotime out of hibernation.

True about checking loft and lie. I went 2 years without checking mine and some were off significantly. My 9 and 8 had almost the same loft, which explains why I thought I was killing the 9.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by No_Idea
    Yesterday was the first of my MP52 on course. After playing, my 8 iron has short deep scratches on the sole. I might have hit some pebbles. Is it normal to have scratches like that on forged irons ?

My dad bought me Wilson Staff Tour Blades for graduation back in '78. In the first week, I hit a rock under the grass with my PW.

For the next ten years I had a wedge with a gouge so bad I could see the leading edge indent from address position, right in the center of the sole... GOD that was irritating.

But that's forged irons. My Ping Zings never got a scratch on them from anything. Hard compound, cast... like a diamond. And it felt like one too.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

I use a 4.5 inch angle grinder to get the dings out of my forged SGI mizunos. The only problem I have, is my 9 iron and PW are a half inch shorter and forget about bounce.
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Taylormade v-steel copy 3 & 5 wood
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    Tayormade 2007 Burner 10.5 Driver
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

I don't put my clubs in any sort of position wher I would ever strike a ball lieing on the ground or a tee. Too dangerous to tell the truth.... it scares me to just listen to how brutal you guys are with your sticks. Leave them in a warm and safe home for the love of GFF.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

For Edgey and Kiwi's edification,

I was in a drop zone because a large part of the fairway was GUR and they had a drop zone. It was when I was playing a longer course and was my second shot on a par 5. And of course I used a 3 iron. Your attempt at flaming was so pathetic I won't even bite about the hybrid jibe.
    NAH

You are of course correct, i apologise for my childish behaviour.

So you were going for a par 5 in 2, wow, did you use a No 2 TM Rescue or No 3...............................sorry!

edgey

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    But you're forgetting all about the gravitational pull of the moon. If the moon is visible in the sky, it will exert an upward pull, torquing the face vs. the hosel. That can change the lie angle steeper. However, if the moon is invisible, and is "below you" on the other side of the earth, it pulls the face down, flattening the lie angle. If it is just above the horizon to your right, it causes slices. If it is on your left, hooks. I can think of no other explanation for my occasional less than perfect shots.......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    But you're forgetting all about the gravitational pull of the moon. If the moon is visible in the sky, it will exert an upward pull, torquing the face vs. the hosel. That can change the lie angle steeper. However, if the moon is invisible, and is "below you" on the other side of the earth, it pulls the face down, flattening the lie angle. If it is just above the horizon to your right, it causes slices. If it is on your left, hooks. I can think of no other explanation for my occasional less than perfect shots.......
    Dorkman, You forgot to factor in the gravitational force of the the sun. The sun's gravity will only exert about half as much force on your clubs as the moon, but when they are in alignment (full moon/ new moon) the effect is amplified. Its much easier to play consistent golf when the moon and sun are at right angles to each other (quarter moon phase), because their gravitational forces cancel out each other a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by neverman
    I don't put my clubs in any sort of position wher I would ever strike a ball lieing on the ground or a tee. Too dangerous to tell the truth.... it scares me to just listen to how brutal you guys are with your sticks. Leave them in a warm and safe home for the love of GFF.
    So the nick comes from the fact that you never play? :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    Dorkman, You forgot to factor in the gravitational force of the the sun. The sun's gravity will only exert about half as much force on your clubs as the moon, but when they are in alignment (full moon/ new moon) the effect is amplified. Its much easier to play consistent golf when the moon and sun are at right angles to each other (quarter moon phase), because their gravitational forces cancel out each other a little bit.
    If I really need a flatter lie angle, I play at night, and when there is no moon visible at all. The combined gravitation pull of the moon and the sun in line on the opposite side of the earth exerts an almost irresistable force on the shaft, hosel and head toward the ball and the turf. I sometimes have to pull back noticeably to keep the clubhead from simply embedding in the ground. These are POWERFUL forces, not to be taken lightly by the novice........

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    These are POWERFUL forces, not to be taken lightly by the novice........
    True. That's why I don't play at night.

Now where the f#ck am I?

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Hey you choptards, the thread is titled Scratches on Forged Irons. We all know Forged irons means Mizuno irons as any other brand is melted cast POS chopper metal.

When referring to Mizuno irons, that means Mizuno blades, because all of their other cavity backed made-to-order-for-chopper marketing POS backhoes are not irons.

Therefore, the thread is titled Scratches on Mizuno Blades.

Since I'm the only GR member on here that plays real Mizuno Blades & not that alternative lifestyle cut-muscle shiite, i'll tell you No_Idea, it's ok if they get scratched.

Yes, you will cry, you will fall into deep depression, those things are natural. Don't worry about it, your Mizuno Blades will heal themselves with the mystical power of Japanese samurai forging. Now, once the sweet spots start browning, there's nothing you can do. That's your instant orgasms on a stick telling you that you are grooving the sweetspot. Your babies won't last forever, so once you've worn them to the bone, give them to your offspring (start them early so they won't fall for that marketing CAST shovel bullshiite) & get you a new set. God help you if you even entertain the thought of putting headcovers on them. (remember, God himself plays MP-33s and if He sees headcovers on them, you will suffer His wrath)

You're welcome.

drivers - mizuno nazi 4 life
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    True. That's why I don't play at night.
    With adequate strengthening exercises with the #2 gripper, you too can master the art of playing while resisting the gargantuan forces generated by the nearby celestial bodies......Elephantine calf muscles are also an indispensable part of night time golf.......

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    Hey you choptards, the thread is titled Scratches on Forged Irons. We all know Forged irons means Mizuno irons as any other brand is melted cast POS chopper metal.

When referring to Mizuno irons, that means Mizuno blades, because all of their other cavity backed made-to-order-for-chopper marketing POS backhoes are not irons.

Since I'm the only GR member on here that plays real Mizuno Blades & not that alternative lifestyle cut-muscle shiite, i'll tell you No_Idea, it's ok if they get scratched.

Yes, you will cry, you will fall into deep depression, those things are natural. Don't worry about it, your Mizuno Blades will heal themselves with the mystical power of Japanese samurai forging. Now, once the sweet spots start browning, there's nothing you can do. That's your instant orgasms on a stick telling you that you are grooving the sweetspot. Your babies won't last forever, so once you've worn them to the bone, give them to your offspring (start them early so they won't fall for that marketing CAST shovel bullshiite) & get you a new set. God help you if you even entertain the thought of putting headcovers on them. (remember, God himself plays MP-33s and if He sees headcovers on them, you will suffer His wrath)

You're welcome.

drivers - mizuno nazi 4 life
    I've just changed my nomination for GR invitee to the Masters to you BJ.

Don't worry about it, your Mizuno Blades will heal themselves with the mystical power of Japanese samurai forging.
    BJ you need to stop smoking such large quanities of weed for your Glaucoma
    Last edited by groundhogday; 11-23-2008 at 07:11 PM.
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Taylormade v-steel copy 3 & 5 wood
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    Tayormade 2007 Burner 10.5 Driver
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

Found a set of MP32s in pretty good shape for $249, what's your recommendation?

I looked at the new 62, liked it a lot, but it's not a blade then is it....
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins

Hey, for $249, you don't have much to lose, as long as the shaft flex is right. Go for it. If it doesn't work out, off they go to e-bay; you can't be out much.

Lorenzo, Omen and HB all use 32's and swear by them. As DM says, for that price you can't lose.

I love my 32-s. At that price I'd give them a try but they need to be fit and checked.

Go for it Dave. I've had my 32's for 4 years and I've never felt compelled to buy anything else. Switch out your Black Gold shafts, then toss those chopper Adams clubs in the garbage.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Go for it Dave. I've had my 32's for 4 years and I've never felt compelled to buy anything else. Switch out your Black Gold shafts, then toss those chopper Adams clubs in the garbage.
    almost there.... almost... there...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Problem alert!!
    I'd be surprised if the Adams irons don't have 0.370" parallel shafts, and I'm nearly sure that the Mizunos will have 0.355" taper tip shafts/hosels. The two won't fit together, though clubfitter could do some tricks to make it work.

I think you have a good pont there DM. I think Dave would be better off keeping his Adams intact as a spare set anyway, just in case he has hacker friends who come to visit and don't bring their own choppper shovels, and need to borrow a set.

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins

I'm sure with the right shaft, the 32's would hit almost exactly like your Adams. I've looked at those ProForged Adams and they are almost as blade-like as the 32s. But,with the 32's you can become a "team Mizuno" member and start trolling this board with the utmost conviction.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Like I said Dave, if your ball-striking is not up to snuff & you need the chopper forgiveness of the 32s, go for it. I got the 33s on fleabay in excellent condition for $165 shipped. with rifle flighted i might add.

great idea by nah to keep the adams around in case your wife wants to join you.

Like I said Dave, if your ball-striking is not up to snuff & you need the chopper forgiveness of the 32s, go for it. I got the 33s on fleabay in excellent condition for $165 shipped. with rifle flighted i might add.

great idea by nah to keep the adams around in case your wife wants to join you.
    Man you present a strong argument BJ. I love my Pro II's, but If I wasn't so whipped I'd get on ebay and start looking for a set of 33s myself. Is there really THAT much difference with the 33's? I honestly couldn't imagine any irons could have much purer feel than the zoids.

Man you present a strong argument BJ. I love my Pro II's, but If I wasn't so whipped I'd get on ebay and start looking for a set of 33s myself. Is there really THAT much difference with the 33's? I honestly couldn't imagine any irons could have much purer feel than the zoids.
    don't take my word for it, ask the man himself.

mailto: god@grainflowforged.net

Thread Information