|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Weaker Shafts in Wedges

It works. Cheers ;)

Quote Originally Posted by No_Idea
    It works. Cheers ;)
    Care to expand on that a little?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

My new wedges are my first experimentation into any type of shaft fitting for wedges. I always used to buy off-the-rack at "wedge flex" which I believe is very stiff. We'll see, though I'm not sure the flex with make too much of a difference for 90% of my wedge game.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Bought my eidolons with a spinner shaft in a regular flex. What little I have hit them in a golf dome, seems to be working rather nicely. Have to see when I get outside. Being old and having both shoulders worked on I'm hoping this will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    My new wedges are my first experimentation into any type of shaft fitting for wedges. I always used to buy off-the-rack at "wedge flex" which I believe is very stiff. We'll see, though I'm not sure the flex with make too much of a difference for 90% of my wedge game.
    Did you get the wedge specific K-s?
    GR lives...

My previous gap wedge was a 51* 588 Cleveland with a lightweight Dynalite shaft in it. I lost it and have since replaced it with a 52* CG12 that has the stiff "Wedge Flex" shaft in it. Whilst the new wedge is fine on full shots I am really finding it much more difficult to judge distance on the shorter 'feel' shots where I need just a half or three quarter swing. I used to love those shots with the 588 but I am often coming up short with the CG12 which is frustrating and costing me shots. I don't think it is the 1* of loft so I am assuming it is the heavier, stiffer shaft that is the difference.

Damn annoying I lost that 51* 588. It was the favourite club in the bag.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Did you get the wedge specific K-s?
    No, I didn't know about them at the time. I've got the regular K's, but my clubfitter made them into spinner shafts. I don't know what that means, but the guy seemed to think it's a good thing.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

From a logic and probability standpoint, it would come as no surprise that some like their wedge flex: 1) stiffer than their iron flex to promote accuracy, 2) the same as their iron flex for consistency, or 3) softer than their iron flex to promote feel.
    Personally, I have tried all 3 approaches, and prefer the same flex as my irons for a balance between feel for delicate greenside work and accuracy for full shots from the fairway.

"Whatever works in your hands, do it."

I apologize in advance for the inflammatory nature of the last statement. I realize that this will be highly offensive to those who believe their own viewpoint is the only valid one. I sincerely hope that I have not offended any of those who go out of their way to offend others........
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I would IMO preffer too have a stiffer heavier shaft for my wedges. I carry 4 wedges, Pw , Gw, Sw, Lw, and have s400 shafts tipped a half inch. Through my trial and error I found that heaveir and stiffer adds accuracy and control, and controls the ball better out of the ruff and sand. On that note I like my driver too be as light as possible and would preffer something like a 60 gram shaft......... Anyways heavier wedges also do alot more of the work for you so all you have to do is put a good stroke on the ball and watch it go pin hunting. This is just my honest opinion.
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Quote Originally Posted by ProStatus
    I would IMO preffer too have a stiffer heavier shaft for my wedges. I carry 4 wedges, Pw , Gw, Sw, Lw, and have s400 shafts tipped a half inch. Through my trial and error I found that heaveir and stiffer adds accuracy and control, and controls the ball better out of the ruff and sand. On that note I like my driver too be as light as possible and would preffer something like a 60 gram shaft......... Anyways heavier wedges also do alot more of the work for you so all you have to do is put a good stroke on the ball and watch it go pin hunting. This is just my honest opinion.
    I also like my wedges to feel heavy, and if I recall correctly, I had mine made for either D5 or D6. However, you don't have to necessarily have a stiffer shaft to get that heavy feel, obviously. I especially like the heavy, momentum-driven feel when hitting out of a fluffy bunker or out of the rough. It gives confidence to hit a smooth swing, knowing that the physics of the club are going to drive it through the sand or heavy grass. Momentum = mass X velocity, so a heavier club doesn't have to be swung as fast. I don't think I'd be seeking the same solution for a driver or wood, but for "industrial strength" wedge shots the heavy weight, slower controlled swing approach seems to work for a lot of people.

Actually true temper wedge flex is simply an S200 shaft, meaning it is 3g lighter and roughly 1-2cpms softer than an S300.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    Actually true temper wedge flex is simply an S200 shaft, meaning it is 3g lighter and roughly 1-2cpms softer than an S300.
    I've also seen wedges shafted with S400's. Not a great deal different, either.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I've also seen wedges shafted with S400's. Not a great deal different, either.
    My clubbuilder told me that the flex differences between S200, S300 and S400 are so small they are irrelavent. He said when the shafts are sorted by weight S200 are simply S300 that are too light and likewise S400 are too heavy to be S300.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    My clubbuilder told me that the flex differences between S200, S300 and S400 are so small they are irrelavent. He said when the shafts are sorted by weight S200 are simply S300 that are too light and likewise S400 are too heavy to be S300.
    Agreed. That was exactly my point.

There's more difference between an R300, S300, and X200 than there is between an S200 and an S400.

Thread Information