|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Need Help With a Swing Flaw

Anyone have a good drill or correction for a swing that sometimes turns the hands over to quickly or too much? I sometimes do this a lot and end up hooking the ball badly. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's been happening enough to cause the thought of it happening to creep into my mind on nearly every shot.

Go sweep a floor for a few hours. Notice how your right hand doesn't "realese" by turning over.

Also, you could hammer some nails into a fence. Notice how you don't "release" the hammer buy turning it over, its more of a hingeing motion.
    "Golf is such an easy game, even a human can do it."
    -Dr. Zaius-

Is your ball actually going left with hookspin, or is it a dead pull?

I have the same problem. For me it is usually caused by being late with my lower body. The swing thought I try to use to correct it is to remember to hit the ball with my hip.

I wish there was a way I could have described that without opening myself up for some many hip, ball, hitting, what-ever banter.
    Regards,

Puma

In the bag (Subject to change at any time):
    TM Burner driver
    TM Burner 3 Wood
    TM Rescue Hybrid 4
    Callaway Irons
    Cleveland CG12 52
    Cleveland CG12 60
    Odyssey Tri-Ball (Biggest, ugliest putter on the planet)
    Callaway HX Hot ball

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    Is your ball actually going left with hookspin, or is it a dead pull?
    It's going left with hookspin . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Puma with a putter
    I have the same problem. For me it is usually caused by being late with my lower body. The swing thought I try to use to correct it is to remember to hit the ball with my hip.

I wish there was a way I could have described that without opening myself up for some many hip, ball, hitting, what-ever banter.
    I know what you meant . . . . thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    It's going left with hookspin . . . .
    OK, than that's not the problem that I occasionally get

With my flattish, inside-out swing, I normally draw or I push. I don't normally hook hard except with fairway woods or long irons that are too upright for me.

On those instances when I pull or slice, I've put a really bad move on the ball. I thought it might have been from rolling my hands over, but maybe not.

It's tough to analyze one's own mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    OK, than that's not the problem that I occasionally get

With my flattish, inside-out swing, I normally draw or I push. I don't normally hook hard except with fairway woods or long irons that are too upright for me.

On those instances when I pull or slice, I've put a really bad move on the ball. I thought it might have been from rolling my hands over, but maybe not.

It's tough to analyze one's own mistakes.
    I will pull my driver occasionally, but rarely will I do it in my irons even though I play with *2 upright irons. It's definitely a problem of getting my hands turned over too quick, but I can't seem figure out how to stop it.

how about you just weaken your grip... simply as that, you probably just have a grip thats too strong... try to only see 2 knuckles on your left hand...

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    how about you just weaken your grip... simply as that, you probably just have a grip thats too strong... try to only see 2 knuckles on your left hand...
    I'll try it next time out . . . thanks!

From my experience most snap hookers have a strong grip and when they DO snap hook it it's because their hips haven't cleared in time and they smother it with the upper body. I always have them slow their swings down and work on tempo and clearing their hips (weight shifting to the front foot). The stronger grip doesn't bother me as much because it's really the hips not clearing, for most. Even if they weaken the grip and don't clear their hips it's going to snap, just maybe not quite as much. Take some easy 8 irons, get a full hip turn back and make sure they clear through by impact. It's something you have to feel, if that is the problem you're having. I was going to add to find where the back of your left hand is on a good shot and get used to feeling it there at impact. That's what I rely on and have been complimented by many on how pure and straight I hit my irons. Practice swing I feel the point of impact and where the back of my left hand is rotated to...if I want a draw, I speed it up...fade, slow it down. Just something to think about.
    Last edited by collegegolfer; 01-09-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    From my experience most snap hookers have a strong grip and when they DO snap hook it it's because their hips haven't cleared in time and they smother it with the upper body. I always have them slow their swings down and work on tempo and clearing their hips (weight shifting to the front foot). The stronger grip doesn't bother me as much because it's really the hips not clearing, for most. Even if they weaken the grip and don't clear their hips it's going to snap, just maybe not quite as much. Take some easy 8 irons, get a full hip turn back and make sure they clear through by impact. It's something you have to feel, if that is the problem you're having. I was going to add to find where the back of your left hand is on a good shot and get used to feeling it there at impact. That's what I rely on and have been complimented by many on how pure and straight I hit my irons. Practice swing I feel the point of impact and where the back of my left hand is rotated to...if I want a draw, I speed it up...fade, slow it down. Just something to think about.
    GC, thanks for the advice. As soon as I can get back out on the range again, I'll work on these things . . . . .

I'd recommend getting your irons reshafted with S300 shafts. That will cure any problem known to mankind.....

EVERYONE should play S300 shafts.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I'd recommend getting your irons reshafted with S300 shafts. That will cure any problem known to mankind.....

EVERYONE should play S300 shafts.
    I tried them in a set before but didn't like them. They were not heavy or stiff enough for my superior swing speed. I kept balooning everything up and missing short of the green. So, I put Mizuno's Exsar Graphite Shafts in all my sticks and the problem has been solved. Those S3000 shafts work well for everyone else that swings less than 140 MPH swing speed though. I hope they are working well for you.

I tried them in a set before but didn't like them. They were not heavy or stiff enough for my superior swing speed. I kept balooning everything up and missing short of the green. So, I put Mizuno's Exsar Graphite Shafts in all my sticks and the problem has been solved. Those S3000 shafts work well for everyone else that swings less than 140 MPH swing speed though. I hope they are working well for you.
    I need the X300 shafts, tipped 6" for my 180 mph 9 iron swingspeed.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    if worse comes to worse sooner open the face slightly at address. i bet it's your grip though.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Anyone have a good drill or correction for a swing that sometimes turns the hands over to quickly or too much? I sometimes do this a lot and end up hooking the ball badly. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's been happening enough to cause the thought of it happening to creep into my mind on nearly every shot.
    IMO.............Fighting a hook off the tee isnt entirely bad but its a very creepy problem that haunts even the best of players. You can try practicing a more in to out swing witch will give you a baby draw off the tee. What you can do to practice this is , First picture the letter X, Now the line that goes from bottom left to top right is the line you want to create using 3 balls . And then practice hitting the ball in the middle of the 3 . The better you get the closer you can move the balls together. This drill will set you up for an in to out swing because the two out side balls dictate the swing path you want . If your coming too far inside you will hit the lower ball and if you come over the top you will hit the outside ball. So hitting the one in the middle is the most consistent choice. Good luck SoonerB
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Quote Originally Posted by ProStatus
    IMO.............Fighting a hook off the tee isnt entirely bad but its a very creepy problem that haunts even the best of players. You can try practicing a more in to out swing witch will give you a baby draw off the tee. What you can do to practice this is , First picture the letter X, Now the line that goes from bottom left to top right is the line you want to create using 3 balls . And then practice hitting the ball in the middle of the 3 . The better you get the closer you can move the balls together. This drill will set you up for an in to out swing because the two out side balls dictate the swing path you want . If your coming too far inside you will hit the lower ball and if you come over the top you will hit the outside ball. So hitting the one in the middle is the most consistent choice. Good luck SoonerB
    Thanks, dude, you guys are giving me a lot to work on next time I go to the range . . .

I find (from personal experience and from watching others) that alot of hooks occur when the hands and arms outrace the lower body on the downswing, causing the position of the shouledrs and arms at impact to be more closed than they would if the lower body had led the upper body. Just concentrate on starting the downswing by moving your weight towards your left side from the ground up, and allowing the upper body, shoulders and arms to follow naturally. Another good swing thought is to imagine throwing your chest towards the target. This feeling gets your body moving towards the left ahead of your arms.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information