|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

High Compression Balls or Low Compression Balls?

I golf with a guy who plays ladies' balls during the winter months and Tit Pro V I balls during the rest of the year. He says the because of the low compression balls the Ladies use, the ball doesn't feel like hitting a chunk of rock during the Winter.

What do you guys think about the theory? What is the advantages and disadvantages to using low compression vs. high compression balls at anytime during the year?

It's not a theory, it's a fact.

Cold balls don't compress as easily, therefore using a tour line ball is stupid. Something with a low compression like a ladies ball is indeed much better for winter golf.

Carry on.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    lol if you can find the sweet spot with any consistancy it won't matter. pro v1s won't feel like rocks when you hit them properly in any temp. compression was more of an issue when balls had wound or liquid cores. maybe your buddy just likes to get in touch with his feminine side during the chilly wx.

that being said, titleist dt solo is a good low compression ball that will keep your testosterone levels in check.
    Last edited by bjdrivers; 01-11-2009 at 04:51 PM.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

ProV1's are not rocks in any temperature. I would never play them as they are way too soft and strictly for girly men with swing speeds under 100mph. If your buddy was using ProV1X's he may have a point, but as BJ said if you hit it sweetly no ball will feel like a rock these days.

The bottom line is ProV1 = bumlord. ProV1X or other non soft tour balls (ZURC, B330 etc) = real man.

Having said all that, you will definitely feel a difference off the putter bewteen high and low compression balls. But this thread seemed to be referring to full swing characteristics of balls, not putting.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

i like the x as well, but i prefer the softer feel of the V1, & i don't get the same spin characteristics around the green with the x.

i also like black #s on the ball, not red like the x.

i just found this review done by you Nah. looks like you agree with me.

Review Date
    January 23, 2005

Overall Rating
    5 of 5

Value Rating
    5 of 5

Visitors rate this review
    1.00 of 5, 2 votes

Rate this review?
    5 Highest4321 Lowest

Reviewed by: Not a hacker , Shoots in the 70s

Model Reviewed:
    DT SoLo

Summary:
    Probably titleist's best offering. As an all round ball these are better than the ProV1 or X, particularly for weekend conditions. They provide good distance (heaps longer than the X for the majority of golfers), good spin and soft feel. They are surpisingly good around the greens for a surlyn ball (check batter than the over hyped X), and feel great off the putter. If titleist doubled the price of these and paid a couple of professionals to play them they'd probably be more popular with the low markers than the X. Unfortunately the low markers cannot put a ball into play without the re-assurance of a tour player using the same ball.

I think we need Omen to adjudicate on this BJ. Or maybe start a poll. We haven't had one for a while. I'll start it.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I appreciate everyone's response to this, but how many of you actually get out and golf in the Winter? I don't like to golf under 50 degrees myself, but whether I am golfing in temps of 40 degrees to 60 degrees, every ball I have ever played feels like hitting a rock -- even whenever I hit it on the sweet spot.

Being the secure person I am in my manhood, I think I might try some ladies balls this week. Temps here are not suppose to get above 55 degrees, but I'll have to go out and hit some balls anyway. I think I might buy a dozen of those Pinnacle balls with the pink ribbons on them in tribute to women's breast cancer awareness. I like thinking about women's breasts anyway. I'll tell you if I find any difference in the balls.

I can't really answer that as in Sydney Australia we don't really have what could be called a winter. The lowest it gets during winter here is about 5 degrees Celcius, and the average high would be up around 20 degrees Celsius, so it's short sleeve shirts and shorts (cargo of course) all year round for me.

I saw a zero core compression ball, wonder how it plays.
    Started golfing June-2008

Nike Sasquatch 9.5* w/Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
    Nike Sasquatch 15* w/True Temper SpeedStep Stiff
    Nike Slingshot OSS 18* w/True Temper Gold Stiff
    Mizuno MP 67 3-P, Project X 6.0
    Cleveland CG 14 52/10, +1"
    Cleveland CG 14 58/10, +1"
    Nike IC 20-20
    Taylormade TP Red

I played a round today with the MC Precept Lady balls and in 50 degree weather they played like my Precept Laddies do in the Summer time. Never at anytime did I get a hit like I was hitting a rock. The balls compressed sweet in the cold air and played great. I will not be hitting any other balls until the temps get back in the 70s in Spring.

I will play Srixon soft feels, DT/SO's, or any other 2 piece ball I have around. Mostly because they do feel a bit softer in colder temps, the greens are more receptive so I don't need the high spin, and they are cheaper or free. I can't post anything this time of year and it pisses me off when I hit a 3 dollar ball just off the fairway plugged soft turf to never be seen again. I have many of these other hacker balls that I've collected through the rest of the year so I use them.

An awesome ball.
    Multi-piece ball, super soft, super long, and only $20.
    Kind Regards,
    bubbha70
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Titleist 905R (9.5*)
    Bobby Jones 3W (15*)
    Bobby Jones 5W (19*)
    Titleist 695MB (3 - PW)
    Titleist Vokey Wedges [56* and 60*]
    Odyssey White Hot XG #7
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hit the damn ball!

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    I will play Srixon soft feels, DT/SO's, or any other 2 piece ball I have around. Mostly because they do feel a bit softer in colder temps, the greens are more receptive so I don't need the high spin, and they are cheaper or free. I can't post anything this time of year and it pisses me off when I hit a 3 dollar ball just off the fairway plugged soft turf to never be seen again. I have many of these other hacker balls that I've collected through the rest of the year so I use them.
    absolutely spot on, Poe, the most important thing when playing in winter conditions, disguised mud just under grass surface in many areas, is COST. I can plug a ball in a !@#$%^ing FAIRWAY in the winter. There's nothing worse than walking up on your shot and realizing you'll never find it, even in the middle of the fairway... the mud oozes back over the ball and it's like quicksand..
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Guys, I have been playing some of the best golf of my life lately. I have been getting in around 2 or 3 rounds a week between cold fronts on warm days (we hit a record 81 degrees here yesterday and the high tomorrow is not suppose to get out of the 3os, crazy weather.) The thing is, whether I golf on a 40 degree day or an 80 degree day, my golf game has been really good. It's as if I actually have a clue now as to what I am doing. One thing that has helped tremendously is the fact that I am putting better. But, my iron play with my new MP52s is solid.

This all being said, I have to give partial credit to the new ball I have been playing -- Precept Lady MC. I usually play a variety of balls -- Callaway Tour iX, Precept Laddie, and Maxfli Blackmax. But, since I have been playing these Lady MC for winter time play, I have not been able to tell that I am sacrificing a thing in golf play. They are long, great play around the greens, and they are extremely cheap to obtain in MINT condition on ebay.

Tell me why I shouldn't play these year round? I am very secure in my manhood, so on course ribbing of me using a Lady's golf ball will not matter shite to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Guys, I have been playing some of the best golf of my life lately. I have been getting in around 2 or 3 rounds a week between cold fronts on warm days (we hit a record 81 degrees here yesterday and the high tomorrow is not suppose to get out of the 3os, crazy weather.) The thing is, whether I golf on a 40 degree day or an 80 degree day, my golf game has been really good. It's as if I actually have a clue now as to what I am doing. One thing that has helped tremendously is the fact that I am putting better. But, my iron play with my new MP52s is solid.

This all being said, I have to give partial credit to the new ball I have been playing -- Precept Lady MC. I usually play a variety of balls -- Callaway Tour iX, Precept Laddie, and Maxfli Blackmax. But, since I have been playing these Lady MC for winter time play, I have not been able to tell that I am sacrificing a thing in golf play. They are long, great play around the greens, and they are extremely cheap to obtain in MINT condition on ebay.

Tell me why I shouldn't play these year round? I am very secure in my manhood, so on course ribbing of me using a Lady's golf ball will not matter shite to me.
    Told you.

Heck try it out in the summer. You might see the ball be smooshed flat as it flis through the air for the first 30 yards but you might still hit it well.

Might wanna look into the Callaway HX pearl too. Those might be easier to find in golf shops as they are a newer ball.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    Told you.

Heck try it out in the summer. You might see the ball be smooshed flat as it flis through the air for the first 30 yards but you might still hit it well.

Might wanna look into the Callaway HX pearl too. Those might be easier to find in golf shops as they are a newer ball.

Thanks, GA, I think I will. I've noticed they are just a bit more expensive at ebay for MINT condition, but they are not outrageous. The MC Lady is an 80 compression and the Pearl is a 90 compression, so I'll try them and see if I can tell a difference.

Try the Wilson 50/50 ball. It meets the requirements you are looking for. I've used them in cold weather and find they are great for this.

Quote Originally Posted by clmax
    Try the Wilson 50/50 ball. It meets the requirements you are looking for. I've used them in cold weather and find they are great for this.

I was going to mention these too but I don't think they would be any better than the MC.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    Told you.

I tried out the Callaway HX Pearl and they were just as solid as the Precept MC Lady. Very good ball for Winter golf.

Thread Information