|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Wedges...Bounce?

What is the deal with wedges. i just purchased a new CG12 with 3dot bounce. Are they worth it? i heard a comment once that wedges are not worth the expensive price tag if you are not a player that can spin the ball.

Please advice...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrio
    What is the deal with wedges. i just purchased a new CG12 with 3dot bounce. Are they worth it? i heard a comment once that wedges are not worth the expensive price tag if you are not a player that can spin the ball.

Please advice...Thanks
    No need to second guess your decision, everyone spins the ball.

Things that increase spin:
    1-more clubhead speed = more spin
    2-more loft at impact = more spin
    3-softer ball = more spin
    4-deeper & wider grooves = more spin

Everyone can increase their spin by buying wedges with more aggressive grooves (not that everyone would want to).
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

I have the CG12 wedges, just I have the DSG RTG version instead of the normal kind you have. You'll be able to spin the ball with that wedge. The grooves are aggressive and it'll definitely contribute to part 4 of the 4 parts of being able to spin a ball.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Mt' Kidd, Kananaskis - Can't beat the mountain setting.
    A bigger bounce helps out of soft fairways, soft sand and plushy greenside grass. Use a lower bounce wedge from more hardpan areas and harder fairway lies. You'll find if you use that 3 dot from harder surface areas you might clip the ball more often.

I don't like anything over 8° on any wedge--and almost none on a lob wedge.

I play my lob wedge very forward for a high, soft shot, so if I were to hit it thin, it would be a flat out upswing top. Substantial bounce with this shot and the trailing edge smashes the ground just as the face is getting to the ball, not allowing the ball the opportunity to compress, even the small amount it would compress with a soft shot. Instead, the leading edge could bounce up and belly into the ball.

Bounce is good for hard spinning shot played back in the stance with a delofted clubface--but even there, 8° is my max.

I'm sorry but theres a #5 to that.

5: Ball first contact.

You ever try to get a ball to check up when you hit the ground 1/2" behind it and drag the club with some dirt/grass? Good luck.
    Started golfing June-2008

Nike Sasquatch 9.5* w/Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
    Nike Sasquatch 15* w/True Temper SpeedStep Stiff
    Nike Slingshot OSS 18* w/True Temper Gold Stiff
    Mizuno MP 67 3-P, Project X 6.0
    Cleveland CG 14 52/10, +1"
    Cleveland CG 14 58/10, +1"
    Nike IC 20-20
    Taylormade TP Red

Answer a question with a question

Hi - I am fascinated with your comments here. Has anyone seen/used the wedges from Eidolon? The advertising hype says they are the best (big surprise, there!!) but I haven't met anyone who actually uses them.

And for the cynical, (like I am), I am not connected to Eidolon at all, so am not promoting them, I am just interested,

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goldeneye
    Hi - I am fascinated with your comments here. Has anyone seen/used the wedges from Eidolon? The advertising hype says they are the best (big surprise, there!!) but I haven't met anyone who actually uses them.

And for the cynical, (like I am), I am not connected to Eidolon at all, so am not promoting them, I am just interested,

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks
    They claim to be at their best with Rifle Spinners. I'm old. I don't do steel except in putters.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    They claim to be at their best with Rifle Spinners. I'm old. I don't do steel except in putters.
    I'm not as old as you, but I just love playing graphite versus steel. Graphite technology has reached a point where it is now as competitive as steel in accuracy, playability and multiple specifications to fit any swing. Plus, it has the added benefit of reducing vibration on young and old joints.

I was really surprised whenever I got these new Exsar shafts from Mizuno. They are actually around the same weight as the heavier steel offerings and their low torque makes them a shotmaker's dream.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I'm not as old as you, but I just love playing graphite versus steel. Graphite technology has reached a point where it is now as competitive as steel in accuracy, playability and multiple specifications to fit any swing. Plus, it has the added benefit of reducing vibration on young and old joints.

I was really surprised whenever I got these new Exsar shafts from Mizuno. They are actually around the same weight as the heavier steel offerings and their low torque makes them a shotmaker's dream.
    They (Exsars) must be somewhat similar to NVs. The NV Comp 85 is a typical mid-weight graphite, but the Pro 105 (mine) is similar to light weight steel and the Tour 135 is similar to standard steel. But they bring us back to the hickory shaft era in terms of a more comfortable impact feel.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    They (Exsars) must be somewhat similar to NVs. The NV Comp 85 is a typical mid-weight graphite, but the Pro 105 (mine) is similar to light weight steel and the Tour 135 is similar to standard steel. But they bring us back to the hickory shaft era in terms of a more comfortable impact feel.
    They have almost identical specifications to the NV Pro 105, which Mizuno use to offer for custom fitting but now makes their own version . . . .

Using graphite in quality forged club like Mizuno or Miura irons is like having sex with a condom.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Using graphite in quality forged club like Mizuno or Miura irons is like having sex with a condom.
    I admit that it's been quite a while since I had sex with a condom--but I've got to tell you, I don't remember having latex on one shaft being in any way similar to using graphite on another.

Steel is obsolete, end of story, as far as I'm concerned. Absent graphite, I'd rather play hickory than steel. Of course, that's just me.

Fortunately, if you still like it, steel is still around in great abundance. .No problems there.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    nice one poe!
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

graphite shafted miuras????? phu.ck now i owe edgey an apology...

what the phuck is going on around here... is this still GR....
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Thread Information