|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

View Poll Results: Pick the set

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ping Rapture V2 (2008)

4 66.67%
  • TaylorMade R7 CGB Max (2008)

2 33.33%

Choice of Irons (Ping Rapture V2 or TaylorMade R7 CGB Max)

Ok guys, here we go.

I am new to this site and the reason I joined was to get a review on a couple set of irons that I have tired. Let me say that I am 54 years old, have a 12 to 14 handicap depending on how long I have been off and I use a set of (go ahead and start the laughter) Hogan Radials, stiff steel shaft irons. Yes they are 35 years old but are in great shape, just not worth anything.

I have decided to expand my horizon and have narrowed it down to two sets of irons. The first is the 2008 Ping Rapture V2, graphite, blue dot, stiff shaft. The other is the 2008 TaylorMade R7 CGB Max graphite, stiff shaft.

I hit both about the same when playing against the canvas screen and as I have found out, Ping does not offer a deal and are roughly $175 per club. I have found dealer in eBay and can get the TaylorMade's for $70 per club. Big difference unless someone knows a place to get a deal on new or used Pings.

Cost aside, give me your feed back on both sets of irons and help me select one that I can keep for another 30+ years.

Thanks and go Grip em and Rip em.

Cary
    sftwcnslt@yahoo.com

Be careful with Ebay. Fake golf clubs galore.

I have 0 experience with either club, but I will mention that Ping has been introducing solid offerings as of late.

Have you tried other sets, or just these two?
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

You'll have to ask edgey which of these would be the best because I don't play shovels anymore.

If you want a serious, respectful, sit in a circle touching dicks and singing kumbayah type of answer I suggest you try www.shottalk.com

If you want a blunter assessment, GR members will be more than happy to tell you that both set are cast CB SGI POS hacker shovels that wil suit your game if you are a sod laying chopper girly man.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    i bet dorkman sighs when he sees a thread like this, because he knows what's coming.

you might as well make a poll to choose between laura davies & pat hurst. seriously, both of those are giant cast grave diggers, so what would it matter? save your money and use a boat oar, same difference.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

I didn't vote. I just couldn't decide.

There was a poll for this shite??????

Not even an appearance from Fred3 could give this thread credibility.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by sftwcnslt
    Ok guys, here we go.

I am new to this site and the reason I joined was to get a review on a couple set of irons that I have tired. Let me say that I am 54 years old, have a 12 to 14 handicap depending on how long I have been off and I use a set of (go ahead and start the laughter) Hogan Radials, stiff steel shaft irons. Yes they are 35 years old but are in great shape, just not worth anything.

I have decided to expand my horizon and have narrowed it down to two sets of irons. The first is the 2008 Ping Rapture V2, graphite, blue dot, stiff shaft. The other is the 2008 TaylorMade R7 CGB Max graphite, stiff shaft.

I hit both about the same when playing against the canvas screen and as I have found out, Ping does not offer a deal and are roughly $175 per club. I have found dealer in eBay and can get the TaylorMade's for $70 per club. Big difference unless someone knows a place to get a deal on new or used Pings.

Cost aside, give me your feed back on both sets of irons and help me select one that I can keep for another 30+ years.

Cary
    sftwcnslt@yahoo.com
    Hi and welcome

Firstly i must apologise for all of the wankers on this board, as you can tell if you dont play Mizuno MP14's with Rifle 7 pokers your sexuality needs questioning and/or abusing. The biggest culprit is obviously NAH but as a self disclosed shanking chopper who plays on a 9 hole goat track who has abandoned Mizuno his opinion doesnt really count anymore. I am the only real man on this board because having tried blades and failed i now know i am crap and therefore play with chopper shovels.

I have very little experience with TM irons as i am not a big TM fan, but i have used Ping Raptures and i can defo give them the Edgey thumbs up seal of chopper approval. They are very long in fact due to the titanium faces and extremely forgiving on off center shots. I have never shanked a ball with them either. Only down side was that distances could be a little inconsistent probably due to the titanium faces. They were so good in fact that i am thinking of going to these for the next season (Or Zing 2's)

Hope that helps a little and can i also recommend the Lovett Wedge, unshankable and money from 70yds in, around the greens and out of bunkers. It also has the Edgey seal of approval.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Hi and welcome

Firstly i must apologise for all of the wankers on this board, as you can tell if you dont play Mizuno MP14's with Rifle 7 pokers your sexuality needs questioning and/or abusing.
    Edgey
    Geez... the rifles in my mp14s are only a limp-wristed 6.5... guess I"m gay after all... so, me old rear admiral, me old butt pirate, me old pouf, guess you were right all along.. could be why I wear the cargo shorts :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

All kidding and flaming aside, the obvious answer is to see if you can take a demo club from each set to a real grass driving range, and see which you can hit better and feels good doing it. If you like both, then decide on aesthetics and price.
    Nobody here or on other boards knows your swing, so expecting strangers to give you meaningful and helpful advice isn't likely to be a strength of an internet forum.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    Geez... the rifles in my mp14s are only a limp-wristed 6.5... guess I"m gay after all... so, me old rear admiral, me old butt pirate, me old pouf, guess you were right all along.. could be why I wear the cargo shorts :-)
    Its spelt puff in England and the term is butt monkey. Come on Big D sort your shite out

Edgey

PS You are right about those F UCKING CARGO SHORTS
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

If you plan on keeping them another 30 years then cost shouldn't be a factor should it? Just choose the one you like best. There's little between them in my opinion so it's up to you to decide.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by sftwcnslt
    Ok guys, here we go.

Cary
    sftwcnslt@yahoo.com

Cary,

Welcome to the forum. Don't let these knuckle heads scare you off. Your question is a good one.

Back in the day, I was a huge PING supporter. I played Ping EYE-2's for a long time and really liked them. However, I will say this, the new Taylor Mades are very nice and I don't think you can make a bad decision here.

What I would suggest is some of what you've heard before. First, be careful of fakes on ebay. Second, which ever you buy, get fitted. You will be a lot hoppier that way.

Again, welcome to the group.
    Regards,

Puma

In the bag (Subject to change at any time):
    TM Burner driver
    TM Burner 3 Wood
    TM Rescue Hybrid 4
    Callaway Irons
    Cleveland CG12 52
    Cleveland CG12 60
    Odyssey Tri-Ball (Biggest, ugliest putter on the planet)
    Callaway HX Hot ball

Quote Originally Posted by Puma with a putter
    Cary,

You will be a lot hoppier that way.

Easter's just around the corner, so this is good advice.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    edgey's avatar should be banned in 48 states.(both CA & OH are already gay) who's with me?
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    edgey's avatar should be banned in 48 states.(both CA & OH are already gay) who's with me?
    Oh, I think it would be OK in Vermont, too......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thread Information