|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

I need more forgiving irons?

I wasn't sure how to title the thread, but here's the story behind it:

I went to Golf Galaxy for my driver fitting, and had an hour to kill before hand.
    While looking at the irons, one of the salespeople got to talking to me about what I use and what I was looking for.
    I told him I have a set of Macgregor v565's. (purchased because I got a new set @ used prices)
    He told me I was practically using 'pro model clubs' and that since I was just getting into golf I should be using a club with more game improvement features.
    I pointed to the m675s and said, I thought those were the more 'tour level' clubs, and that my clubs were cavity back, with decent perimeter weighting, and lowered cg.

He then told me he was an instructor prior to going into sales, and that someone new to the game should be playing with the most forgiving clubs possible.

Not wanting to argue with someone who has more knowledge and experience than me, I just listened to what he had to say.

He pointed me in the direction of the Callaway Big Berthas, Macg 455s, Ping g5, etc.
    Obviously, all clubs with wide soles, bigger offsets, deeper cavities, softer flex shafts, etc.

I chose the irons I have currently based on:
    In store demoing of quite a few clubs @ 2nd swing.
    The fantastic price i got.
    The value the clubs represented for me. Forged, rifled shafts, etc all for $370 new.

My thinking has been that I am willing to devote extra time to lessons, range practice, par3 course practice, etc so I wanted to go with a club that would grow with me, as well as not mask too many negative swing patterns.

I honestly do see his point, in that a casual golfer may have more fun, and show more interest if he/she gets started with ultimate forgiveness and does not get discouraged early on.

He used the 'I'm not on commsission line' as if it would make his advice more honest, but I felt he could have just said, 'you're going to have to put your time in to make the most of those clubs'
    Which I would have acknowledged, but instead he just kept mentioning how they take trade-ins, and how I would be happier with a more forgiving club.

What do you guys think?

I think if the guy could teach at all he would not be hawking callaway irons in a big box store.

Play what you like.

regardless of what anyone says, there is minimal difference in clubhead playability from one manufacturer to another, and even from one material to another.

Shafts matter. Grips matter. Clubheads for irons matter very little. It kind of takes the fun out of it, but they are all so similar...

what did you have for more forgiving club choices??
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Besson
    regardless of what anyone says, there is minimal difference in clubhead playability from one manufacturer to another, and even from one material to another.

Shafts matter. Grips matter. Clubheads for irons matter very little. It kind of takes the fun out of it, but they are all so similar...
    So.... Apex blades and G5's play just about the same?

Yes, the g5's and Apex Blades will be more similar than most imagine.

I have 4 sets of Apex Blades (different models).

What does the g5 offer? Help on off center contact? Have you ever experienced perimeter weighting that could actually save a poorly struck shot? I have experienced help from some large/ cast/ cavity irons. My experience is on mishits you get close to full yardage from the 'helper' clubs but lose direction.

With blades on misses I experience loss of distance, but the shot holds it's intended flight.

is it harder to hit the sweetspot on a blade? No. maybe psychologically, but not physically.

Shafts and technique enable us to hit the club on the button. They claim large perimeter weighted irons fix everything, but it has not been my experience, and I have played with lots of irons. There is not nearly as much 'help' available as the manufacturer's claim.

What does the g5 offer? Help on off center contact? Have you ever experienced perimeter weighting that could actually save a poorly struck shot? I have experienced help from some large/ cast/ cavity irons. My experience is on mishits you get close to full yardage from the 'helper' clubs but lose direction.

With blades on misses I experience loss of distance, but the shot holds it's intended flight.

is it harder to hit the sweetspot on a blade? No. maybe psychologically, but not physically.

Shafts and technique enable us to hit the club on the button. They claim large perimeter weighted irons fix everything, but it has not been my experience, and I have played with lots of irons. There is not nearly as much 'help' available as the manufacturer's claim.
    Wow. First, the sweet spot on a G5 is about 100% larger than the sweet spot on a pure blade. Second, the G5 (with its relatively low CG compared to the blade) will launch the ball about 3x higher than the blade - great if you need help getting the ball up in the air, not so great if you already hit it high. Third, the massive offset of the G5 will help close the clubface at impact - great if you tend to leave it open, terrible if you already get it square. Fourth, and most importantly, you are retarded. Thank you.

I am not nearly retarded enough to stand here and sing the praises of a particular golf club and it's magical properties.

So you actually believe the usable sweet spot on the Ping Irons is 100 percent larger than that of an Apex? hang on, you said the same thing about the Nike Slingshot only 18 months ago. What happened to those? I have hit the pings numerous times. Not only is the sweetspot claim exaggerated, it is not even more pronounced than it is on the i3 model.

I am glad you like your clubs, and I am glad you are willing to give any credit for golfing success to the ping irons, and I am glad they help you get the ball airborne with their super low cg.

Somebody has to believe this stuff. Better you than me. I am too busy working on my swing to believe in the magic Ping band aid. Wide as the sole is on those Pings you better have a low cg or it will be groundball central. Maybe that is how the game is played in Chicago?

I am not nearly retarded enough to stand here and sing the praises of a particular golf club and it's magical properties.

So you actually believe the usable sweet spot on the Ping Irons is 100 percent larger than that of an Apex? hang on, you said the same thing about the Nike Slingshot only 18 months ago. What happened to those? I have hit the pings numerous times. Not only is the sweetspot claim exaggerated, it is not even more pronounced than it is on the i3 model.

I am glad you like your clubs, and I am glad you are willing to give any credit for golfing success to the ping irons, and I am glad they help you get the ball airborne with their super low cg.

Somebody has to believe this stuff. Better you than me. I am too busy working on my swing to believe in the magic Ping band aid. Wide as the sole is on those Pings you better have a low cg or it will be groundball central. Maybe that is how the game is played in Chicago?
    Holy crap - first I thought you were retarded, not I'm thinking you're just crazy!! First, please tell me where I have ever mentioned the Nike Slingshot?? Second, please tell me where I said that (a) I owned Ping G2's, much less (b) "liked" them?? Third, Chicago?? What the F are you talking about dude?

My only claim was that G2's DEFINITELY do not play like a pure blade (and for anyone to claim otherwise is just retarded), and that they're better for some people. I'm not one of those people. I have no idea what kind of player you are, but I could probably kick your azz on a golf course, so ease up there little man.

Trust me, you would not be the first internet hero to have to kick my azz on the golf course. Happens all the time. I deserve it. I have hit both clubs you mention, with matching shafts, and found that mishits react differently, that a miss with either club is still not an acceptable golf shot, and that center contact on each was rewarding.

I know I need an azz kicking for this, and I know for a fact that you are the man to give it to me.

I am 6 foot and about 160 pounds (I want you to have a visual of the little man whose azz you will be kicking in your imagination).

Thanks for taking a few minutes to set me straight.

Goalvy

Seriously, what is the Chicago comment? Have you forgotten your meds?

I am having a hard time accepting the azz kicking you are handing me right now. Those opening three holes at 4 under has me reeling. My apex blades look like little credit cards on a stick in my trembling hands and I know I will not get a shot airborne for the rest of the whole match. maybe I was wrong about the amount of 'help' available from the ping irons. maybe if I had them right now I would not have gone triple, double, triple. I know I deserve this azz kicking because I found that perimeter weighted irons are not as much help as manufacturer's claim, but you are just humiliating me. I think I may have to run my little man azz to the car after nine and take up bowling............

Sorry I disagreed with you, and thanks for handling the difference in opinion in such a masculine fashion.......by putting on a collared shirt, funny shoes, and beating me down while driving around in a little electric cart. Some people say golfers are not tough guys. Some people need to run into the likes of you. get themselves set straight.

Thanking you through the pain, shame, and agony,

Goalvy
    Again, wow. You insinuated above that I was a crappy player b/c of my Pings. To which I replied (1) I don't use Pings, and (2) I'm probably a better player than you. You then fell further off the deep end. Tragic.

Why don't we both post a scan of our handicap cards, and end this right now? Then you can get back to polishing up those Hogans. Sound OK?

I am having a hard time accepting the azz kicking you are handing me right now. Those opening three holes at 4 under has me reeling. My apex blades look like little credit cards on a stick in my trembling hands and I know I will not get a shot airborne for the rest of the whole match. maybe I was wrong about the amount of 'help' available from the ping irons. maybe if I had them right now I would not have gone triple, double, triple. I know I deserve this azz kicking because I found that perimeter weighted irons are not as much help as manufacturer's claim, but you are just humiliating me. I think I may have to run my little man azz to the car after nine and take up bowling............

Sorry I disagreed with you, and thanks for handling the difference in opinion in such a masculine fashion.......by putting on a collared shirt, funny shoes, and beating me down while driving around in a little electric cart. Some people say golfers are not tough guys. Some people need to run into the likes of you. get themselves set straight.

Thanking you through the pain, shame, and agony,

Goalvy

You'll have to point out to me where I insinuated you were a crappy player. I know I asked if you thought there was that much 'help' in game improvement clubs. Hence the rage and the humbling lesson I am now learning as you continue to set the course record as you kick my little man azz on the golf course. I would hate to think I brought this beating on myself because you misunderstood part of a post.

I do have to say that the golf shirt you are wearing while kicking my azz really compliments your complexion, and that those bite golf sandals you chose to wear to the match are not nearly as queer as they looked in the pro- shop.

Want a turkey sandwich at the turn? I am buying, and I need something. Can't take this on an empty stomach.

I am happy to submit my personal index info. the Boomhauer, the moderator. If you want to go that route we can compare anything. Putting personal info. on the board can get a guy into trouble. Cool?

OHHH!!!!!!! Nice 4 hybrid into that par 5!!!!!!! Course record coming at you playa!!!!

You'll have to point out to me where I insinuated you were a crappy player. I know I asked if you thought there was that much 'help' in game improvement clubs. Hence the rage and the humbling lesson I am now learning as you continue to set the course record as you kick my little man azz on the golf course. I would hate to think I brought this beating on myself because you misunderstood part of a post.

I do have to say that the golf shirt you are wearing while kicking my azz really compliments your complexion, and that those bite golf sandals you chose to wear to the match are not nearly as queer as they looked in the pro- shop.

Want a turkey sandwich at the turn? I am buying, and I need something. Can't take this on an empty stomach.

I am happy to submit my personal index info. the Boomhauer, the moderator. If you want to go that route we can compare anything. Putting personal info. on the board can get a guy into trouble. Cool?

OHHH!!!!!!! Nice 4 hybrid into that par 5!!!!!!! Course record coming at you playa!!!!
    I am now converted, and have seen the light. I am going out this afternoon to replace my hybrid with a hickory-shafted niblick - the smaller the better. Then I'm going to see if I can pick up a couple dozen featheries. Finally, I am going to check in with my Dr. and see if he can un-do that polio vaccination from when I was a kid. I've decided that, much like I want to play golf as it was meant to be played, I want to live life like it was meant to be lived. Hybrids and vaccines are for pu$$ies.

Toodles!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfx811

I went to Golf Galaxy for my driver fitting, and had an hour to kill before hand.
    While looking at the irons, one of the salespeople got to talking to me about what I use and what I was looking for.
    I told him I have a set of Macgregor v565's. (purchased because I got a new set @ used prices)
    He told me I was practically using 'pro model clubs' and that since I was just getting into golf I should be using a club with more game improvement features.
    I pointed to the m675s and said, I thought those were the more 'tour level' clubs, and that my clubs were cavity back, with decent perimeter weighting, and lowered cg.

He then told me he was an instructor prior to going into sales, and that someone new to the game should be playing with the most forgiving clubs possible.

Not wanting to argue with someone who has more knowledge and experience than me, I just listened to what he had to say.

He pointed me in the direction of the Callaway Big Berthas, Macg 455s, Ping g5, etc.
    Obviously, all clubs with wide soles, bigger offsets, deeper cavities, softer flex shafts, etc.

The value the clubs represented for me. Forged, rifled shafts, etc all for $370 new.

My thinking has been that I am willing to devote extra time to lessons, range practice, par3 course practice, etc so I wanted to go with a club that would grow with me, as well as not mask too many negative swing patterns.

I honestly do see his point, in that a casual golfer may have more fun, and show more interest if he/she gets started with ultimate forgiveness and does not get discouraged early on.

He used the 'I'm not on commsission line' as if it would make his advice more honest, but I felt he could have just said, 'you're going to have to put your time in to make the most of those clubs'
    Which I would have acknowledged, but instead he just kept mentioning how they take trade-ins, and how I would be happier with a more forgiving club.

What do you guys think?
    You're going to have to decide if you are willing to put in the time, effort, and practice it takes to hit the MacGreogor clubs well, versus buying a more forgivng club and MAYBE having more initial success in terms of score when you play. The reason I say MAYBE because if you have serious swing issues it's not going to make much of a difference how forgiving the club is.

Only you can answer that question.

ur in luck, i actually think it was Besson who said he Manufactures his own featheries. You might want to grab a pair of his new shoes to, they sound great.

As for forgiving irons, I reccomend the Big Bertha 06's or Callaway Fusions. Callaway has a great GI Iron selection.
    My Bag:

[B]Driver:[/B] Taylormade R7 HT 10.5
    [B]5 Wood[/B]: Taylormade R7 TP 18.5
    [B]7 Wood[/B]: Taylormade R5 21
    [B]Hybrid[/B]: Taylormade Rescue Mid 25
    [B]Irons[/B]: Mizuno MP-60 4-PW
    [B]GW[/B]: Cleveland CG11 50
    [B]SW[/B]: Cleveland CG10 56
    [B]LW[/B]: Titliest Vokey SM 60
    [B]Putter(s[/B]): Scotty Cameron Mil Spec, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2
    [B]Bag:[/B]: Taylormade R7 Stand Bag
    [B]Shoes[/B]: Soon to be Adidas Tour 360's
    [B]Ball[/B]: Maxfli BlackMax

Comparing polio vaccines to ping irons? That is kind of a stretch. Ping has increased the sweetspot on their irons with each new line introduced since the company's inception. If you read all the ping point of sale material you will learn that the ping sweetspot is now larger than the entire clubface and golf bag combined. This is why handicaps have not decreased on average in the past 30 years. BUT........somebody has to buy into this stuff or the golf market would collapse.

Lloyd, thank you for being that rube.
    Your incomprehension is incomprehensible. I don't play Pings. Back to the feathery shop with you...

I see what you mean about that Ping G5 Sweetspot Lloyd, you mammoth rube. I went and demoed a set over lunch and the sweetspot is so big that it made contact with a guy hitting balls almost 4 stalls away.
    next time you kick my azz I am going to play with these G5's and see if I can make a better showing.
    Just do not stand too close to me. Sweetspot the size of soccer goal. That is what Ping is claiming.

Lloyd, you buy those pings new or used? get a free visor with them?

Visor wearing rube. Visor wearing, ping loving, santa claus believing rube.
    ...Lithium?

Gosh Ping Lloyd, you threatened to (and most certainly did) kick my azz.
    I never asked you "Steroids???? Roid Rage????".

So, Lithium, no.

Vicodin? Sure. Got any hidden in that visor?? Rube??
    You're trying too hard - for an effective flame, you need more subtlety...

"Proof that I own the Board" You said it Ping Visor azz kicking man. Pointout the subtlety in that one.

Hurry up to Golf Galaxy now Lloyd. They are giving out free ping headcovers to the toughest golfers in America. I nominated you. They say golf is not a tough guy sport, but I told them how you are always kicking azz in your golf attire and they are all about you.

Thank me later.
    hahaha.... lame.... try again.

I'm just thinking back to the time when this thread was actually about a set of irons!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Man
    I'm just thinking back to the time when this thread was actually about a set of irons!
    Dan, niblicks and featheries are where it's at. Take it from Besson.

Is this one of the famous GR 'flame wars'? im not sure i have experienced one bofore..pretty neat, and quite enjoyable to read.

As much as I hate to see a well intended thread degrade into a flame war between 2 people... Besson's repeated use of the word 'rube' has me in stitches right now.

Back to the topic:
    I have looked at some of the extreme game improvement designs and some of them are extremely distracting to me.
    The Nike OSS, although highly rated by Golf Digest, gives me the impression I am playing a hybrid all the way down the iron line.
    The pw and aw look huge, I guess I just can't get past irons like those.

I don't have a problem getting the ball in the air, when my swing is consistant, and if/when I am having slicing problems, I know something needs fixing.
    My previous irons, Hogan edge cft, had more offset than these, but not as much as I see on Callway BBs, Ping g5s, etc. Unfortunatley those shafts felt too whippy and the grooves were extremely harsh on balls.

Over time the groves will smoth out a little bit and they wont tear the cover off a soft ball on a chip shot..right??

yea..... great flame...... i have to say that the ones i was starting at least started with a relevance..... but this is just someone being moronic...
    I feel sorry for Skeet boy's cat...

The sweet spot is indeed larger on the GI irons because they've limited the COR. Manufacturers can now detune the sweetspot spreading it over a wider area (ie. bigger than a dime). Heck, you guys kid about it being bigger than the clubface but that's not far from the truth. If you could hit a ball from the air surrounding the perimeter it would probably act much like missing the sweetspot by 1/4" on that ol' Blade. That's for a true blade not these "new" blades that hide technology within their soles~

Flame on, whatever. Answer the Chicago question for Christs sake, and ours!
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

For the original question:

Stick w/ the Mac 565's. I am new just like u and got Mac 455's. They're fine but I would trade them for the 565's in a second. No, my game hasn't progressed passed the 455's, but I kinda wanted to buy a set that would suit my game over a longer period. I see a point in the next year or so that I will want to get more of a traditional size cavity (e.g. Mac 565's). I don't think it will hamper your game or your improvement much if at all by playing 565's to start. They are in my estimation great clubs intended for a wide range of handicaps (my guess single digits to 25 are the target purchasers).

Stick w/ what u got and worry more about ur swing.

Thanks for some of the responses.
    I should have been more clear about my question. I was more interested in what you guys thought of his advice in general.
    I have no intention of trading in my irons for a more 'forgiving' set, as I got an excellent deal, and I like my clubs.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1

Do you need more forgiving irons?

What do you guys think?
    The money you would be paying would be better spent on going for a series of lessons from a reputable PGA pro. I used to play game improvement irons. In my case they were Callaway Big Berthas (the orignals). They had wide soles to help with digging in, low centre of gravity to get the ball up and were strongly lofted for distance. They also had a very springy face that gave pure shots very impressive distance. Bottom line, a pushed shot still went right (a long way right if the strike was solid), a pulled shot went left, thin shots were low and short, shanks went 90 degrees right. I think you get the picture. Furthermore they were lousy round the greens. Those springy faces made delicate chips a nightmare. I have also owned a set of blades and my own experience was that they were more difficult to hit than the Callaways and the penalties for mis hits were substantially more in terms of distance loss and harsh feelings. If your current set of clubs have reasonable permiter weighting and a little offset to help you square the club face then I would suggest you work on your fundamentals because any other purchase would be poor economics.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    Thanks for some of the responses.
    I should have been more clear about my question. I was more interested in what you guys thought of his advice in general.
    I have no intention of trading in my irons for a more 'forgiving' set, as I got an excellent deal, and I like my clubs.
    If you did not go up to him and ask for advice then the more I think about it, I am pretty unimpressed with his technique. I consider it bad salesmanship to offer a negative opinion on a golfers kit and then point him/her in another direction. At the shop where I buy most of my equipment the sales staff maintain a discreet distance except for a quiet "May I help?" if someone looks like they want advice. Usually you have trouble getting hold of a member of staff because the customers go looking for advice. The company I shop at is the most successful golf equipment retailer in the United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Besson View Post

I've always wanted to bump a thread that was finished years ago. It seems more like a newbie thing to do, but I don't think I ever got my chance.

Who is this Besson poster? He is great! All he does is tell the truth and the hackers can't stand it.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    I've always wanted to bump a thread that was finished years ago. It seems more like a newbie thing to do, but I don't think I ever got my chance.

Who is this Besson poster? He is great! All he does is tell the truth and the hackers can't stand it.
    Yeah Besson was great. Some of his best work was goading Bethpage Caddy whom he used to refer to as 'Beth the Caddy'. In this thread he is going to war with Lloyd_Christmas who was also a legendary flamer. Lloyd didn't really care whether you played blades or CB's he just loved a good flame war!

His name was Lloyd_Christmas3 because Lloyd_Christmas, Lloyd_Christmas1 & Lloyd_Christmas2 were all banned by BPC when he was moderator.

Whilst they are at war here both of them used to mercilessly flame BPC.

Some of Lloyd's best work is in BPC's Matchplay Strategies Thread.

Ah the good old days.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Yeah Besson was great. Some of his best work was goading Bethpage Caddy whom he used to refer to as 'Beth the Caddy'. In this thread he is going to war with Lloyd_Christmas who was also a legendary flamer. Lloyd didn't really care whether you played blades or CB's he just loved a good flame war!

His name was Lloyd_Christmas3 because Lloyd_Christmas, Lloyd_Christmas1 & Lloyd_Christmas2 were all banned by BPC when he was moderator.

Whilst they are at war here both of them used to mercilessly flame BPC.

Some of Lloyd's best work is in BPC's Matchplay Strategies Thread.

Ah the good old days.
    Yep, I remember those guys well. Besson was a throwback, also went by the name Montagle. He started to get bitter towards the end, but he made it a point to destroy BPC whenever the opportunity presented itself.
    LC3 was a great addition to the board back in the day when not everyone was a sarcastic flamer.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Thread Information