|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Glove woes!!!

Glove woes!!!

I'm sure there are threads about gloves in here somewhere but I lack the energy and application to root them out right now, so here it goes...***** about me to the moderators if you don't like reading this stuff over

I have been using cheap gloves for a while now. My big purchase last year was a bunch of Maxfli A3's...they were selling out for $10/pair. Trouble is they last no time. I want to get something that fits well and lasts a bit longer...willing to step up to around $20/pair. Any good suggestions on a reasonably priced premium glove?
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

IMO, the absolute Cadillac of golf gloves is the Footjoy Sta Soft. They are about $16 USD. They last pretty well if you take care of them. I have one of those gay plastic hands that I put my glove on between rounds. I get about 6 rounds where the glove is in excellent condition and wear them for probably 10 rounds.

I just don't wear one...I can't actually tell any difference. regrip and take care of your grips...and of course if they are the right size, perhaps this is a solution?

just my opinion.

I've been using gloves made by Mastergrip (www.mastergrip.com) for over 16 years. They are buy one get one free and the Dynagrip (close to Footjoy stay-soft) is about $11.95 for two. They also have a tour model which is even thinner but those wear out fairly quickly (as most tour quality gloves will).

I've never had a problem with them and they are considered a premium glove. Hale Irwin used one when he won the U.S. Open at age 49 (man, I sound like I work for them!). I refuse to pay the retail prices for the Footjoy's when I can get a glove just as good for half the price.

I've worn cheap gloves and more expensive gloves. Personally I can't tell a difference as far as wear. I personally buy the A10's for around $7 or something similar price wise and figure I can buy 2 of them for the price of 1 more expensive. Although I am not seeing the A10's anymore. I have been buying like 10 pairs and rotating them extends the life by 5-10 times.

I have also found the most durable to be in this order, although the cost has no bearing on the life of the glove.

1) Some of the Nike Models - So durable that I in fact lose the "feel" with the club and will not use them.
    2) Srixon - Fairly cheap at around $11, and becoming more popular, lose a little feel as the palm area is made differently than most, but I like the glove
    3) Mizuno's - I personally love the feel of the glove and they are more durable than most around $14 or so, may be my favorite glove.

This us all US Currency.

I absolutely love the Titleist perma soft gloves. Great feeling leather, and last quite a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by mpkelley20
    I've been using gloves made by Mastergrip (www.mastergrip.com) for over 16 years. They are buy one get one free and the Dynagrip (close to Footjoy stay-soft) is about $11.95 for two. They also have a tour model which is even thinner but those wear out fairly quickly (as most tour quality gloves will).

I've never had a problem with them and they are considered a premium glove. Hale Irwin used one when he won the U.S. Open at age 49 (man, I sound like I work for them!). I refuse to pay the retail prices for the Footjoy's when I can get a glove just as good for half the price.
    OK, I'm sold!! Do you know if Mastergrip's sizes are similar to Footjoy's? I'm going to try out a few of them.
    If these end up working well, I owe you big time!

I buy the Footjoy Weather Sof that comes in a pair for 14.99. I rotate them for each round and practice sessions and the pair lasted me about 3 months. I play 3 times a week, along with 4 driving range sessions. I keep them in a Zip-lock plastic bag to keep the gloves from drying out for easy tear.

The grip material you have on your clubs will also be a factor. If you have cords, expect to buy gloves more frequently. Or, if you have Lamkin Crossline with their propriety M2 soft rubber, your gloves can last a bit longer.

Taylor Made React gloves, very durable while retaining good feel.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

FootJoy Weathersof, €13 over here, I buy one about once every 2 months or so. It doesn't make that much of a difference, gloves were designed so you would loosen your grip pressure.
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

FootJoy STAsoft is best glove on the market. I got 1 loved it so much went back and bought 3 more just incase.

Another vote for Footjoy StaSof. Great feel, and for me last longer than some of the synthetics I've tried.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Bionic Gloves

I really like these gloves. They are very durable, as you're even able to wash them a few times and they don’t rip or tear. They have 'relief pads' that fill in the vallys of your fingers and palm so that you don't have to squeeze the glove as hard to get a good grip. I always had the problem of trying to grip the club to hard which would inhibit me from swinging correctly. This solved that problem. They're also very comfortable.

Also, having played baseball and hockey in the past, I’ve grown accustomed to certain brands. Bionic is a subsidy of Louisville Slugger which produces (obviously) gloves and bats for baseball. They also own TPS, which is one of the top hockey equipment manufactures.

They know what’s up as far as sporting equipment.

The glove is completely legal to. The USGA tried to outlaw the glove but Louisville Slugger sued and won. Bionic, for a period of time, had a sticker saying, “Due to the game improvement capabilities…” so, they used it as a clever marketing strategy. Personally, I play for fun, so I didn’t care if it was illegal by USGA standards. I just wanted something that made me play better.

....no....I don't work for them either. maybe I should. Anyone know where I could get an application?

edit: they're about $25 but well worth it. I got back into golf last year and played mabye 2-3 times a month. I had one glove. I actually still have the glove from last year. I use it when i'm at the range. So it works out nice. I got one for the range and my new one I use when i'm on the course.

Finger-tip-less

On humid days my gloves get pretty soaked. I started using gloves without finger tips (ends are open) and I like them. They are cooler. The ones I bought are artificial material, but this seems to absorb less sweat and consequently last a little longer. Might be worth a try.

All in all, I'd rather play without a glove. I only absolutely use them when I feel my grip slipping, but this depends greatly on the kind of grips you use. I use Wynn G8-type grips which do well in sweaty weather. Hence, I seldom need a glove.
    [COLOR=DarkGreen]"If I can't walk it -- I don't play it."[/COLOR]

i always use footjoys or nike they seem to last about 7-10 rounds and i go through gloves like crazy anyway. i also think that cost dos not matter on the quality

I don't use a glove during rounds but glove both hands at the range if I'm smashing a couple of jumbos in one session.I bought the callaway dawn patrols for both hands and they seem to be lasting very well.I also apply a lap of black hockey tape to both thumbs and pointer fingers during range and rounds just below the middle knuckles.

lol, ive just stopped bothering... they just nvr last.... and im too cheap to spend 20$ a glove every week/2 weeks... just bare hands and dry grips work for me

(although i am like obsessive compulsive about keeping my grips dry, grooves clean, and clubs clean)
    I feel sorry for Skeet boy's cat...

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    OK, I'm sold!! Do you know if Mastergrip's sizes are similar to Footjoy's? I'm going to try out a few of them.
    If these end up working well, I owe you big time!

They seem identical in size to the Footjoys. I wear a medium/large in both manuafacturers.

I hope you like them. As I mentioned, I use the dynagrip model as they are durable and very similar to the Sta-Soft. The Elite glove (I think that is $13.95 for two) is awesome but it doesn't last as long.
    Last edited by mpkelley20; 03-30-2006 at 06:19 AM.

They seem identical in size to the Footjoys. I wear a medium/large in both manuafacturers.

I hope you like them. As I mentioned, I use the dynagrip model as they are durable and very similar to the Sta-Soft. The Elite glove (I think that is $13.95 for two) is awesome but it doesn't last as long.
    Well I jumped in head first on these things. I just bought 8 Elites. Glove ho?
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Well I jumped in head first on these things. I just bought 8 Elites. Glove ho?
    Thanks again!

Wow! with the free ones that's 16 gloves! I hope you like them or I'll feel real bad about recommending them.

Wow! with the free ones that's 16 gloves! I hope you like them or I'll feel real bad about recommending them.
    No I bought 4 and got 4 free. I'm kind of snobbish when it comes to changing them out often.

I am fond of the Nike Dura-Feel, which I got at Dick's for <$10/pair. I like them because they fit well, and don't stretch too much (a problem I have with Footjoys; by stretch, I mean that the fingers get loose) and they have a thicker pad of leather on the heel of the palm which takes a long while to wear through.

Another glove I like is the Callaway X-SPANN, which has the same pad on the heel of the palm, but I find that the thumb wears out too quickly.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Why are you in such a rush to hit the ball? It's not going anywhere." --My teacher, when I am too fast in my downswing.

"Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs. You know it's wrong but you can't keep away from her." --Val Doonican

"The first time I played the Masters, I was so nervous I drank a bottle of rum before I teed off. I shot the happiest 83 of my life." --Chi Chi Rodriguez[/FONT]

Titleist

I'm partial to the Titleist Players glove when you can find them. Most of the gloves you can purchase at the discount stores all have spandex and fiber inserts. Good for the manufacturer because it cuts costs, but I hate 'em..they never feel tight enough.

Having said that, I'm going gloveless as long as I can this year. Wipe down the grips with a wet towel, dry 'em off and go.

Question

On a related topic, how snug should your golf glove be on your hand? Lately I have been noticing some movement in the club through the swing while trying to maintain a light grip.

A very good value are the Callaway Warbird gloves. http://www.golfgalaxy.com/galaxy/pro...MICHFCCJCGLBE&

I get a good 10 rounds with this glove.

I use the FootJoy sci flex. IMO its a great glove. It looks really cool as well. Once i made some changes in my swing and stopped gripping the club too hard as well as manipulating the club wiht my hands thru impact, My gloves last me a really really long time. NO more holes whatsoever.

I tried Master Grip gloves but found they were inconsistent in their sizes, one ML would fit and another ML would be to big. One glove ripped on the first hole so I quit buying them.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyd22
    I tried Master Grip gloves but found they were inconsistent in their sizes, one ML would fit and another ML would be to big. One glove ripped on the first hole so I quit buying them.

Which glove did you try (i.e. dynagrip, all weather etc..)? I've been using them for 15+ years and never had a problem with even one glove. If one did rip on the first hole, you should have called them and I'm sure they would have replaced it for free.

LOVE the Elite and I get as much wear from them as the Sta-Soft. More importantly, they fit me PERFECTLY in ML--better than F.J. To me, it's as much about fit as anything.

Another vote for Sta soft.
    My previous gloves had all worn out, and this was the only type they had in the pro shop.
    Only $12, and when I put it on, it felt as though it were already broken in.
    Most likely my new glove for a while.

Stasoft

not Softjoy by Footjoy, have been the best glove out there a long time. Don't make the mistake I did thinking I was getting a good deal on the Softjoy for $12.95, forgetting the premium glove is the Stasoft.
    It's ok, but if your are willing to approach $20, the Staysoft is available in Cadet sizes for those of us with short fingers. The last like crazy, compared to others. I play just enough golf that I need 2 to get through a northern season, but the second one will be my starter next season, generally.
    For a couple bucks less, I did like a Nike Elite glove, also available in Cadets. Been a long time since I bought Titleist gloves, but they bagged out quickly back then. I actually feel I play better with the Stasoft glove for some reason.

Real golfers don't play with a glove. There is no need to play golf with a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Real golfers don't play with a glove. There is no need to play golf with a glove.
    I don't play with a glove, therefore, I must be a REAL golfer. I also screw without a condom.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Thread Information