|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

I FINALLY did it!!!

Today I finally broke 80 on a par 72 course (slope 124). 39 on the front, 40 on the back. I've made 80 several times, but I've always come up short in the end. WAHOOOOOOO!!!!!
    I was hitting the driver very well, irons and wedges were good, and lots of greens in regulation and tap in pars. Not a single birdie, though.
    I went into the last hole just having to make bogey on a 395 yard sharp dogleg right par 4 with sloping hillside rough right and left, a 100 yard waste bunker on the right after the turn, and an uphill green with a large uphill bunker all along the right side of the green. I'd been driving long and fairly straight all day, and just needed to get it into a landing area about 210-240 while hitting into a modest headwind. Choke city!! I hit a weak duck hook into a tall bank on the left, leaving the ball exactly one clublength diagonally in front of a staked tree. I was able to punch out with a hybrid to about 50 yards from the green. I was able to get on, then putt out in two for my magic 79.
    My wife and I are going out to eat to celebrate in a few minutes.
    I'll get over it, but I hope not too soon!!!!

Very nice.

Nice work. It's always great to break 80.

I hope you went to Red Lobster. They have great biscuits there.

R35
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

Quote Originally Posted by rockford35
    Nice work. It's always great to break 80.

I hope you went to Red Lobster. They have great biscuits there.

R35
    I'm afraid I must be a little dense and/or out of the loop. I've seen dozens of "Red Lobster" references recently on this board, but haven't a clue what it's all about. Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

It's a restaurant.

I just had a filet mignon and 3 lobster tails washed down with beers (not from that restaurant).

I'm familiar with the restaurant. We have one nearby. I just thought it might have some secondary connotation. Thanks, though.

A couple days ago, i had a craving for Red Lobster. Montagle gave me the 4-1-1 on how bad it is, based on their garbage cans. Go figure.
    Anyways, the Red Lobster reference has made into many a post from that point on.

I may be going out on a limb here, but i really think Red Lobster is what holds the world together, and what abled you to shoot 80. I would pay homage and go for the "Chart Your Own Course" meal. I highly recommend the garlic shrimp/grilled chicken/battered shrimp combo. It's what dreams are made of.

Again, nice work on the 80. (but remember Red Lobster)

R35

A couple days ago, i had a craving for Red Lobster. Montagle gave me the 4-1-1 on how bad it is, based on their garbage cans. Go figure.
    Anyways, the Red Lobster reference has made into many a post from that point on.

I may be going out on a limb here, but i really think Red Lobster is what holds the world together, and what abled you to shoot 80. I would pay homage and go for the "Chart Your Own Course" meal. I highly recommend the garlic shrimp/grilled chicken/battered shrimp combo. It's what dreams are made of.

Again, nice work on the 80. (but remember Red Lobster)

R35
    Yes... for sure... Red Lobster is the key... I clobbered my buddy today 5 and 4.... I think I'll get some Olive Garden to celebrate ... (we have no red lobster here)

Quote Originally Posted by VTDivot
    Yes... for sure... Red Lobster is the key... I clobbered my buddy today 5 and 4.... I think I'll get some Olive Garden to celebrate ... (we have no red lobster here)
    No RL? Kind sir, i am soooo sorry. Although, Olive Garden does have fantastic bread.

R35

No RL? Kind sir, i am soooo sorry. Although, Olive Garden does have fantastic bread.

R35
    DW wanted pizza... we had to hit UNO's instead.... no bread.... I may just have to lie down in traffic now

I feel sorry for you guys that have to eat at Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc... Couldn't imagine the trash they serve in Virginia as food.

Glad I live in San Francisco. Home of the best restaurants in the world.

80 or above

If I shot an 80 or above I'd kill myself. lol not trying to sound like a jerk.

Anyways, work on that short game and don't worry so much about how long your drives were or how perfect the irons were. That way you can keep it below 80. Chipping consistently inside of 4 feet will make shooting under 80 easy.

Hey VTDivot,
    The Olive Garden you're talking about used to be a Red Lobster. I wish they'd bring one back up here. Perrys chased them out of town, but Perrys has gone so far downhill lately that Red Lobster would make a killing.

You passed up Olive Garden for Unos? Was the 1 hour wait too much for you? You have to get there at 4:00 on the weekends if you don't want to wait. My wife and I took the kids out last night. 99 had a 45 minute wait, so we tried Longhorn but they had a 45 minute wait, we ended up at Chilis. It's hard to believe that with all the restaurants that have come into the area lately, that you still have to wait 30-60 minutes for a table. If it was just the wife and I, we could handle it, but it would never work with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikalion
    If I shot an 80 or above I'd kill myself. lol not trying to sound like a jerk.

Anyways, work on that short game and don't worry so much about how long your drives were or how perfect the irons were. That way you can keep it below 80. Chipping consistently inside of 4 feet will make shooting under 80 easy.
    Actually, the biggest single challenge for me is the mental aspect of the game. When I get into a zone and swing easily without rushing the backswing or the start of the swing, I'm capable of shooting pretty well. I've had multiple rounds where I've shot in the 36-39 range for the front 9, only to tense up on the back 9 and go into the mid-40's because "this might be the day I break 80". I'm HOPING that now that I have the monkey off my back, I won't worry about things like that and can just play each hole one shot at a time without excessive anxiety about the outcome.
    I've only been playing regularly for about 6-7 years, after a 20+ year period of not playing at all. The scores have come down gradually from not breaking 100 several years ago to playing in the 80's pretty consistently now. I'm still working on the game, taking some lessons, and testing new equipment, and practicing and playing regularly now. I'm 51, and probably have several more prime years before my game starts to slowly deteriorate from the inexorable results of age. Right now, I'm just enjoying the moment.......

congrats

Good to hear that the golf gods smiled upon one of us..

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog_Cornelius
    I feel sorry for you guys that have to eat at Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc... Couldn't imagine the trash they serve in Virginia as food.

Glad I live in San Francisco. Home of the best restaurants in the world.
    Hey - hit Tadich Grill and give me your report.

You live downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Actually, the biggest single challenge for me is the mental aspect of the game. When I get into a zone and swing easily without rushing the backswing or the start of the swing, I'm capable of shooting pretty well. I've had multiple rounds where I've shot in the 36-39 range for the front 9, only to tense up on the back 9 and go into the mid-40's because "this might be the day I break 80". I'm HOPING that now that I have the monkey off my back, I won't worry about things like that and can just play each hole one shot at a time without excessive anxiety about the outcome.
    I've only been playing regularly for about 6-7 years, after a 20+ year period of not playing at all. The scores have come down gradually from not breaking 100 several years ago to playing in the 80's pretty consistently now. I'm still working on the game, taking some lessons, and testing new equipment, and practicing and playing regularly now. I'm 51, and probably have several more prime years before my game starts to slowly deteriorate from the inexorable results of age. Right now, I'm just enjoying the moment.......
    Dorkman:

My sincerest congratulations.

I have a feeling that it will not be your last time or lowest score.

Your description of what happened to you mentally was my experience also. The mental part, along with the very steady practice and play allows it to happen. Once I got down there - "it seems to happen" - rather than "trying to force it". A few times, I have played 5 over on the front and relaxed thinking I wouldn't break 80 and then spontaneously a 1 over on the back for a 78 - just somehow occurs.

Your course sounds tough - what an 18th hole. Hazards everywhere......

Congratulations Dorkman

Looks like the glass ceiling is now shattered. I reckon you will go lower in the near future...

As some of the more avid readers will know I've had a few frustrating rounds recently, failing to capitalise on my rich vein of recent form. On Saturday I finally posted a score. A 74 playing off a 6 (I'm now 5.1!). I lost a ball on 8 which cost me a double, but I got it back on 14 with an eagle. Outside that I was fairly steady. No mistakes. A few observations:

1. Monty's sphincter advice actually works!! Keeping the lower body rigid gives you a very solid foundation for your swing. Thanks M. I owe you a drink! ;)
    2. My concentration was very good, I made a lot of good plays, both physically and mentally. Best save of the day was a 6 on 8. I was looking like a treble or quad. A great putt from 5 feet! I turned it into a positive (big lesson here!)
    3. Although I hit some great shots, most of the day I just hit it average with no real lose shots (apart from the 8th)
    4. My short range putting was excellent (didn't miss from inside 6ft)
    5. I reckoned that I could have been 5 shots better if the putter had warmed up outside 6ft and that didn't worry me. I usually get a bit tense when a score is on the cards.

I ended up 3rd in the tournament. It would have been nice to get some solverware, but I feel that I'm knocking on the door...

Long may these feelings last....

Quote Originally Posted by Irishgolfer
    1. Monty's sphincter advice actually works!!
    I'm just glad it's the sphincter "advice" and not a sphincter "device". That would not be a pretty visual.......

Yes, indeed, the sphincter advice does work. I think the pros and college ams do workouts for 'core strengthening'. The core they are trying to strengthen are all those muscles that build the foundation for you to swing around.

I do tighten my stomach, ass, and inner thighs before each shot. It works for me. I am glad it is working for you.

I even do it when I putt.

Part of my theory is there is always gonna be tension when you are standing over a shot. Tension in the hands, arms, etc... can sabotage a swing. So if you intentionally create tension through some muscle tightening, you are giving the tension a place to go where it will have no negative impact on the swing.

I can't believe my sample letter did not get me banned.
    Oh well, another whole week to try.

Thread Information