|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Importance of pre shot routine.

Just for something completely different I thought I'd start a golf thread.

The other day was the first time I have ever used a dedicated pre shot routine for every shot I played. I have been reading stuff about how important it is, and particularly something Ernie wrote, and Nickalus has harped on for ages, about visualising before you pull a club from the bag. I tried it the other day and I can say it works. There were at least three occassions where I visualised the shot and then changed my mind on which club to use. Each time I made the right choice and came up with a good result. In the past I would have just checked the yardage, had a casual glance down the course and guessed a club then fired away. I found that standing back and surveying what was in front of me before making any decisions on what club to hit or shot to play really helped me sharpen my focus and become more decisive. And that in turn allowed me to focus purely on the shot when standing over the ball. Once a decision had been made on what shot I needed, I also tried to visualise and feel the shot in my minds eye without a club in hand before going to the bag. A few times I just couldn't see myself puling off a particular shot, so I changed my mind and came up with a better result.

But the biggest benefit for me in starting a pre shot routine with this visualisation process was that it was like a trigger which allowed me to really switch back on when I got to each shot, and by the time I was actually standing over the ball I was fully focussed on the shot at hand and ready to execute the shot. In the past I've been standing over the ball thinking about any number of things other than what I need to do to execute the shot. I'm playing again tomorrow and will try it out again, just to confirm that it wasn't a fluke.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I don't have one.

I do however have certain things I do before a shot that could look like a routine but I never decided "Okay, this is what I'm going to do".

I do what I feel is necessary. Few practice swiings, waggles, look at the hole, pick a spot, get comfortable..yada yada.

I don't think it hurts my game any. I do what I need to to feel confident and comfortable over the shot..
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

What the hell ever happened to "Grip it and rip it!" JD.

I agree that a pre-shot routine can improve your game. Anything that improves you commitment to a shot should help eliminate doubt. Fewer doubts should lead to better results.

Having said that, I find that I only use a pre-shot routine on the tee-box. However, I'm glad you started this thread. You've inspired me to make an effort to improve on that this season.

Thanks.
    Regards,

Puma

In the bag (Subject to change at any time):
    TM Burner driver
    TM Burner 3 Wood
    TM Rescue Hybrid 4
    Callaway Irons
    Cleveland CG12 52
    Cleveland CG12 60
    Odyssey Tri-Ball (Biggest, ugliest putter on the planet)
    Callaway HX Hot ball

I've done the visualization thing too, ever since I read about it, probably in the 1970s.

What's more unique to me, however, is that I almost but not quite ground the club on the target side of the ball and practice the first half of a post-impact follow through before I make my actual shot. I do that instead of a practice swing.

Except on the tee, where one is allowed to re-tee after accidental contact, I have to be very careful not to incur a penalty with carelessness. But the mock follow through is more important to me than the waggle just before the shot. I've rarely made an awful shot that ended with a good follow through.

The importance of a pre-shot routine is the most overrated aspect of golf I believe has ever existed. Anyone who thinks that following a goofy routine will help them hit the ball better is fooling themselves imo.

Pre shot routines are for Camp Freddys. The GR GOD JD says it all.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

The thing I took away from Nicklaus was not the whole routine, but the picking out of a short target, a leaf or stick or divot or anything in front of your ball, six to twelve feet, that was on the line you wanted to hit on..

I have a huge problem understanding where I am actually aligned.. when I look up from my alignment, I always think I'm aimed further right than I actually am.. I hit a lot of balls, especially long balls, left of target..

but when I pick out that leaf or divot and just aim down the line at it, from ten feet away, I don't have to trust my eyeballs on the full shot line.. I already know it, cuz I lined up on that leaf from behind the ball..

that one thing from Nicklaus probably added 2-3 GIR to a round for me this past year..

sadly, Nicklaus had nothing to help my putting game.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    The thing I took away from Nicklaus was not the whole routine, but the picking out of a short target, a leaf or stick or divot or anything in front of your ball, six to twelve feet, that was on the line you wanted to hit on..

I have a huge problem understanding where I am actually aligned.. when I look up from my alignment, I always think I'm aimed further right than I actually am.. I hit a lot of balls, especially long balls, left of target..

but when I pick out that leaf or divot and just aim down the line at it, from ten feet away, I don't have to trust my eyeballs on the full shot line.. I already know it, cuz I lined up on that leaf from behind the ball..

that one thing from Nicklaus probably added 2-3 GIR to a round for me this past year..

sadly, Nicklaus had nothing to help my putting game.
    My pre-shot routine is really only about alignment. I use the common principal as Dave described, (most pro's I know teach this) . It is necessary for me as although opposite to Dave I tend to get closed at address if I don't keep an eye on it. This can lead to a lot of problems. The thing about pre-shot routines is they should be quick and once warmed up should not involve practice swings. There is almost nothing worse than playing 18 holes with someone with a long, involved pre-shot routine. It is a total pain in the @rse and the worse the hacker the more painful it is!
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I don't have a pre-shot "routine" per se. I do the same alignment stuff on every shot, I never take practice swings on stock shots. I think it's funny watching the choppers with extensive routines that they MUST start over if something, well pretty much anything distracts them.
    Visualize the shot for 10 seconds
    Plumb bob iron
    3 deep breaths
    Step into stance
    Check shoulder alignment with club
    2 full practice swings with divots
    Half back swing to check club position
    4 waggles
    Forward press
    Left knee kick
    Leave blows across the tee
    Start over
    Top the ball
    Replace iron cover
    Repeat for 100 strokes
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    2 full practice swings with divots
    Possibly my biggest pet peeve of other people on the course.

I don't care if you talk, do jumping jacks right beside me, or diddle with your sky caddie but for the love of phuck, don't take take two big beaver pelts on your P swings.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    My pre-shot routine is really only about alignment. I use the common principal as Dave described, (most pro's I know teach this) . It is necessary for me as although opposite to Dave I tend to get closed at address if I don't keep an eye on it. This can lead to a lot of problems. The thing about pre-shot routines is they should be quick and once warmed up should not involve practice swings. There is almost nothing worse than playing 18 holes with someone with a long, involved pre-shot routine. It is a total pain in the @rse and the worse the hacker the more painful it is!
    It is funny and aggrevating when getting stuck behind the foursome that won't let you play through and watch a 60 second waggle and then a duff and then a repeat of the waggle and duff!

Lyle, if pre shot routines are so overrated, find one tour pro who doesn't have one, and doesn't follow it religiously. There must be a lot of disillusioned tour pro's out there fooling themselves 70 odd times a day on the course. I've also noticed that all basketball players follow some sort of pre shot routine at the free throw line. A routine by definition is a sequenced course of action designed to achieve a specified result. I also think most people here have a pre shot routine without even realising it.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I just stand behind the ball, lơok at the target where I want my ball to produce a baby fade, and trust my swing... If it goes straight, it's OK, tơơ. I can't draw a ball...

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    I just stand behind the ball, lơok at the target where I want my ball to produce a baby fade, and trust my swing... If it goes straight, it's OK, tơơ. I can't draw a ball...
    Sounds alot like a pre shot routine if you do it for every shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Sounds alot like a pre shot routine if you do it for every shot.
    Every now and then before I hit a shot, I blink.

Is that part of my pre-shot routine?

Every now and then before I hit a shot, I flex my sphincter.

Is that part of my pre-shot routine or is it the just hot dog I ate at the turn talking to me?

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul

Is that part of my pre-shot routine or is it the just hot dog I ate at the turn talking to me?
    Actually, no, it's a hyperactive reaction to having way too much fun playing golf. Just stick your thumb up your ass for a couple of hours and the reaction will go away.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul

Not an expert on this. Better consult Camp Freddy. He hasn't been banned yet has he?

Not an expert on this. Better consult Camp Freddy. He hasn't been banned yet has he?
    I am afraid the administration is not able to comment on that at this time.

Next question please.

Don't ask Camp Freddy whatever you do. I imagine she will come back with far too much information.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Lyle, if pre shot routines are so overrated, find one tour pro who doesn't have one, and doesn't follow it religiously. There must be a lot of disillusioned tour pro's out there fooling themselves 70 odd times a day on the course. I've also noticed that all basketball players follow some sort of pre shot routine at the free throw line. A routine by definition is a sequenced course of action designed to achieve a specified result. I also think most people here have a pre shot routine without even realising it.
    The pros also spend 10 minutes lining up putts. I dont watch golf much anymore, and avoid the golf channel at all costs. IMO the pro game, and the current state of golf instruction is the most damaging thing happening to this game. Just get out and play, and do it quickly.

Just for something completely different I thought I'd start a golf thread.

The other day was the first time I have ever used a dedicated pre shot routine for every shot I played. I have been reading stuff about how important it is, and particularly something Ernie wrote, and Nickalus has harped on for ages, about visualising before you pull a club from the bag. I tried it the other day and I can say it works. There were at least three occassions where I visualised the shot and then changed my mind on which club to use. Each time I made the right choice and came up with a good result. In the past I would have just checked the yardage, had a casual glance down the course and guessed a club then fired away. I found that standing back and surveying what was in front of me before making any decisions on what club to hit or shot to play really helped me sharpen my focus and become more decisive. And that in turn allowed me to focus purely on the shot when standing over the ball. Once a decision had been made on what shot I needed, I also tried to visualise and feel the shot in my minds eye without a club in hand before going to the bag. A few times I just couldn't see myself puling off a particular shot, so I changed my mind and came up with a better result.

But the biggest benefit for me in starting a pre shot routine with this visualisation process was that it was like a trigger which allowed me to really switch back on when I got to each shot, and by the time I was actually standing over the ball I was fully focussed on the shot at hand and ready to execute the shot. In the past I've been standing over the ball thinking about any number of things other than what I need to do to execute the shot. I'm playing again tomorrow and will try it out again, just to confirm that it wasn't a fluke.
    Congratulations on learning and incorporating probably the most important ritual in any one successful golfers career, next to learning how to grip the club. Whats your next issue to deal with in playing golf
    EveryThing You Need To Know About The Game.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    The pros also spend 10 minutes lining up putts. I dont watch golf much anymore, and avoid the golf channel at all costs. IMO the pro game, and the current state of golf instruction is the most damaging thing happening to this game. Just get out and play, and do it quickly.
    I enjoy watching golf on TV, but I prefer to record it while I am out playing my own round. Then I can come back and watch it at the end of the day, and fast forward through all the commercials and blah, blah, blah interviews they use as filler.

My routine is simply to grip the club properly, make sure my feet are aligned, take a practice swing to make sure I have gauged the ground contact properly, then fire away. It doesn't take long to do, but I personally like going through the brief mental checklist before making my shot. My instructor stressed keeping it simple; no more than two thoughts. For me it's "shoulder and left knee" and "keep the hands soft." Anything more than that and it's counterproductive for me. (My biggest swing flaws to avoid are making an "armsy" swing without rotating my shoulders, and trying to strangle the grip resulting in either a fat or blocked shot.)
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

If you are talking about golf instruction as being the illogical ramblings of Leadbetter and Pelz, i couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfEpisode
    Congratulations on learning and incorporating probably the most important ritual in any one successful golfers career, next to learning how to grip the club. Whats your next issue to deal with in playing golf
    Haven't quite decided, but the superiority of forged irons over cast POS hacker shovels might be worth exloring. Or the extreme gayness of hybrids compared to real man long irons.

Haven't quite decided, but the superiority of forged irons over cast POS hacker shovels might be worth exloring. Or the extreme gayness of hybrids compared to real man long irons.
    You never get tired of this shtick, do you? You clearly come from the land of the easily self-entertained......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    You never get tired of this shtick, do you? You clearly come from the land of the easily self-entertained......
    Haven't you ever been to Australia Dorkman? It is the land of the Australian Parakeet a type of parrot that NEVER tires of repeating itself over & over & over again.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Not A Hacker
    If you are talking about golf instruction as being the illogical ramblings of Leadbetter and Pelz, i couldn't agree more..
    I am talking about golf instruction in general, especially when its geared to the weekend warrior.
    For some reason someone decided we need to completely over complicate golf instruction and make it confusing, bloated, and forgetful of the human element. Golf is not that difficult of a game. The ball is stationary, and you can take your sweet ass time when hitting it. If more people just went out and played, stopped thinking about their swing at all and just let it happen, they would be far better off. Golf like everything these days is over analyzed and made to appear far more difficult than it need be. KISS, is all the instruction most amateurs need.

A good instructor wouldn't agree more. Most are not good.

My preshot routine consists of masturbating prior to going to the course. I know that whenever I hold my Mizuno irons in my hand and look down on top of their GFF beauty, I will end up walking around with a hard on the rest of my round. Masturbating before going to the course takes the edge off that for a while.

I am talking about golf instruction in general, especially when its geared to the weekend warrior.
    For some reason someone decided we need to completely over complicate golf instruction and make it confusing, bloated, and forgetful of the human element. Golf is not that difficult of a game. The ball is stationary, and you can take your sweet ass time when hitting it. If more people just went out and played, stopped thinking about their swing at all and just let it happen, they would be far better off. Golf like everything these days is over analyzed and made to appear far more difficult than it need be. KISS, is all the instruction most amateurs need.
    I agree. The instructor just wanted me to get a good grip and stance, do a good shoulder and knee rotation, keep the hands soft and then just let it fly. Lots of thoughts are very distracting. I just have two thoughts at a time. Stance and grip in the setup, and the other two thoughts right before I swing. Keeping it simple reduces tension.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    My preshot routine consists of masturbating prior to going to the course. I know that whenever I hold my Mizuno irons in my hand and look down on top of their GFF beauty, I will end up walking around with a hard on the rest of my round. Masturbating before going to the course takes the edge off that for a while.
    Masturbating seems extremely common and important for you GFF guys.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Since stopping lessons a year ago my handicap has dropped 4 shots and I've never felt more in control of my game. Besides the pre-shot routine I mentioned, I now just concentrate on the fundamentals (grip, stance, posture, alignment), then when set and standing over the ball I just think about rhythm and tempo. Nothing else matters. As long as I'm set up correctly I know that all I need is good rhythm and tempo to hit a good shot. Lessons will only mess with your head, filling it with too many different thoughts and moves during the swing. Like DM said, you need an empty head standing over the ball, not a million things swirling around. Lessons are only ok when you start playing to make sure you get good fundamentals, but once you have those down pat trust yourself and try to limit the number of swing thoughts to less than three when standing over the ball.

All I ever think about on the course is my target. I dont have single swing thought. I look at my target, basically stare it down, then look down and swing. I have found that my body and swing will adapt on their own, without me really thinking about it. I just see my ball flying, be it a draw, a fade or straight, and just swing. Why this works I dont know, but it does. I also play lightning fast. I hit in as much time as most guys take to choose a club.

All I ever think about on the course is my target. I dont have single swing thought. I look at my target, basically stare it down, then look down and swing. I have found that my body and swing will adapt on their own, without me really thinking about it. I just see my ball flying, be it a draw, a fade or straight, and just swing. Why this works I dont know, but it does. I also play lightning fast. I hit in as much time as most guys take to choose a club.
    This sounds an awful lot like the visualisation part of the pre shot routine I spoke of, and which you derided as 'the most overrated aspect of golf' to ever have existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Haven't you ever been to Australia Dorkman? It is the land of the Australian Parakeet a type of parrot that NEVER tires of repeating itself over & over & over again.
    Steady up Kiwi, Oz is gods own golfing country! NAH is just a very committed player....
    nothing wrong with that!! As they say, stay on message and consistency is the key.....
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Steady up Kiwi, Oz is gods own golfing country! NAH is just a very committed player....
    nothing wrong with that!! As they say, stay on message and consistency is the key.....
    Actually, I thought I was just responding in kind to a troll question.

Back on topic. Form the repsonses here, it would seem that almost everyone has some sort of pre shot routine, it's just that many don't realise it.

No offence Old Player.

You seem to be in 21st Century, the digital age. NAH is still in the 1970's, the vinyl age and is still playing those old scratched records.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information