|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

How Terrible Should I Expect My Forged Irons To Be

There is a statement saying 'good golfers don't use iron covers'. The fact is forged club heads become terrible more by banging each other on the buggy than by hitting the ball or the ground.

How bad should I expect the heads to be and when should I expect to do the next change ? It is like changing the clubs before I can fully utilize them. Any opinion ?

Quote Originally Posted by No_Idea
    There is a statement saying 'good golfers become terrible by banging each other on the buggy.
    This is especially true of forged iron players. Particularly GFF iron players.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I've had my GFF irons for over 4 years and their playability has not been compromised at all. Yes, each iron has a couple hundred little dings on the sole and backs but I don't care.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

This is another of those "everybody's got an opinion, some have dogmatic opinions, and nobody's mind gets changed" issues.
    If you care about the aesthetics of the clubs in the long run, iron covers will decrease bag chatter and therefore keep them looking newer, longer. The cost will be that some consider them unmanly, a sign of a newbie, etc. If you want to keep your irons looking newer, and are secure enough not to care about what anybody else thinks, use them.
    If you don't care if the clubs get little dings, and consider these as signs of war scar valor, and don't mind the rattling sound as you move about the course, or are easily intimidated by what other people might think, then by all means don't use them.
    I couldn't care less if someone is using them or not using them, but to some people who are highly driven by a desire to project an image, this issue has taken on a life of its own. To them, it's unanimity of opinion, or death.
    Do what you want, and don't worry about what anybody else is thinking. They're your clubs.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    This is another of those "everybody's got an opinion, some have dogmatic opinions, and nobody's mind gets changed" issues.
    If you care about the aesthetics of the clubs in the long run, iron covers will decrease bag chatter and therefore keep them looking newer, longer. The cost will be that some consider them unmanly, a sign of a newbie, etc. If you want to keep your irons looking newer, and are secure enough not to care about what anybody else thinks, use them.
    If you don't care if the clubs get little dings, and consider these as signs of war scar valor, and don't mind the rattling sound as you move about the course, or are easily intimidated by what other people might think, then by all means don't use them.
    I couldn't care less if someone is using them or not using them, but to some people who are highly driven by a desire to project an image, this issue has taken on a life of its own. To them, it's unanimity of opinion, or death.
    Do what you want, and don't worry about what anybody else is thinking. They're your clubs.
    So according to this logic, you an are insecure, image-conscious to the point of being shallow, and financially stupid sheep if you do not use covers. Whereas you are a convention-shunning renegade, comfortable in your own skin, and financially savvy for using iron covers.
    Nice flame job.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

There is a statement saying 'good golfers don't use iron covers'. The fact is forged club heads become terrible more by banging each other on the buggy than by hitting the ball or the ground.

How bad should I expect the heads to be and when should I expect to do the next change ? It is like changing the clubs before I can fully utilize them. Any opinion ?
    You, like me, have the good sense to buy some of the sweetest irons on the market right now. I have owned my 52s since November and have played them hard. I haven't even noticed a lot of wear on them yet. I'm planning on keeping my clubs for the duration even if I decide to try another set out someday because I hit these irons really well and I like the way they perform.

This all being said, the last thing I will ever do is put iron covers on my clubheads. My manhood means something to me and here in Oklahoma, using iron covers will get you an invitation to a gay bar. We don't have gay bars here in Oklahoma so all the guys with headcovers on their irons have to go to Texas where they find numerous opportunities for homosexual practice. I don't care of course as long as they keep it in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    So according to this logic, you an are insecure, image-conscious to the point of being shallow, and financially stupid sheep if you do not use covers. Whereas you are a convention-shunning renegade, comfortable in your own skin, and financially savvy for using iron covers.
    Nice flame job.
    That about sums it up.....

I REALLY don't care whether people use or don't use iron covers. It's a total non-issue among normal people, my golf group included. I just never cease to be amazed and amused by the passion that this mundane issue arouses on this particular internet board.
    Last edited by dorkman53; 01-22-2009 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    You, like me, have the good sense to buy some of the sweetest irons on the market right now. I have owned my 52s since November and have played them hard. I haven't even noticed a lot of wear on them yet. I'm planning on keeping my clubs for the duration even if I decide to try another set out someday because I hit these irons really well and I like the way they perform.

This all being said, the last thing I will ever do is put iron covers on my clubheads. My manhood means something to me and here in Oklahoma, using iron covers will get you an invitation to a gay bar. We don't have gay bars here in Oklahoma so all the guys with headcovers on their irons have to go to Texas where they find numerous opportunities for homosexual practice. I don't care of course as long as they keep it in Texas.
    CONFESSION - I USE IRON COVERS

I have checked with my gay friend Camp Freddy and he assures me he has never had a problem with any "iron" and "head"

He also has a fantasy about "taking" a big (6' 4" +) butch, hunk of a cowboy and riding him like a bucking bronco. He has taken quite a shine to you, big boy.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Edgey, can you get Camp Freddy to join GR? And I don't mean another Lorenzo alias.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Edgey, can you get Camp Freddy to join GR? And I don't mean another Lorenzo alias.
    HB

I am trying to get Camp Freddy to join but i have a couple of problems

1. He HATES golf, although he says he would play with Pingmans little white balls and lick his hard shiny shaft any time.

2. He doesnt have internet access at home, and is not allowed to access this site at work.

As a close friend of mine he is often around my house, he baby sits my daughter so i suppose he could use my computer but that will only raise the usual "Its Edgey under a new ID" conspiracy bollocks.

I will speak to him later and ask him. He is the campest, wittiest and most promiscuous human being i know so it would be fun and in all fairness he has been behind (not in the literal sense) a number of my previous posts but without claiming the credit.

When he said that about Pingman i felt he should come out of the closet and profess his lust, sorry love...

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

I've never used iron covers, even now with my Miuras, but then again, once I take a wood headcover off, it goes in a bag pocket and stays there. I don't see it again until my clubs come out of the bag room and are put on a cart.

As a result, I've got a basement full of some pretty battered looking clubs. Perhaps if I traded them instead of hording them, I'd be more careful about their appearance.

To me, it's a patience issue. I just can't be bothered. If the bag chatter on the cart bothers me, I muffle it with a towel.

But despite the fact that one doesn't see them in competition, I wouldn't berate a playing partner who used iron covers. I haven't been here on GR long enough to cultivate these behavior patterns! Still, I can count on my two hands the number of people with whom I've played in fifty years that used them.

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    CONFESSION - I USE IRON COVERS

I have checked with my gay friend Camp Freddy and he assures me he has never had a problem with any "iron" and "head"

He also has a fantasy about "taking" a big (6' 4" +) butch, hunk of a cowboy and riding him like a bucking bronco. He has taken quite a shine to you, big boy.

Edgey
    Edgey, I just thought you and Camp Freddy would like to read an actual article of the last fa g, notably from Texas, who came to Oklahoma to ride a cowboy:

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. -- Aggravated assault charges have been filed against a church deacon and University of Oklahoma Sooners fan after officials say he grabbed a University of Texas fan between the legs during a scuffle in an Oklahoma bar.

A couple of months before the annual Red River Shootout between the Sooners and Longhorns, words were exchanged at Henry Hudson's Pub between Allen Beckett, 53, and Brian Thomas. Witnesses said it was because Thomas was wearing a UT T-shirt.

Neither Thomas or Beckett chose to comment, but the police report described what happened to the victim, including graphic details about his injuries that included a torn scrotal sack with partially exposed testicles.

Now, if that sounds like the kind of fun Freddy is interested in, then by all means allow him to visit.

The fact is forged club heads become terrible more by banging each other.
    I know I'd be nasty as hell if I were banging Stephanie Sparks.

I've had my GFF irons for over 4 years and their playability has not been compromised at all. Yes, each iron has a couple hundred little dings on the sole and backs but I don't care.
    Mizuno, on their website, cautions against the use of headcovers as they promote rust.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    That about sums it up.....

I REALLY don't care whether people use or don't use iron covers. It's a total non-issue among normal people, my golf group included. I just never cease to be amazed and amused by the passion that this mundane issue arouses on this particular internet board.
    I gotta agree with Dorkman here. In the REAL world nobody gives a sh*t. I see guys with iron covers from time to time and they have ranged from high handicap choppers to low cap players. It makes no difference to the other players around them so why the big deal? I asked one guy why he used them and he was adamant that they protect the grooves from damage.

Each to his own.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Edgey, I just thought you and Camp Freddy would like to read an actual article of the last fa g, notably from Texas, who came to Oklahoma to ride a cowboy:

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. -- Aggravated assault charges have been filed against a church deacon and University of Oklahoma Sooners fan after officials say he grabbed a University of Texas fan between the legs during a scuffle in an Oklahoma bar.

A couple of months before the annual Red River Shootout between the Sooners and Longhorns, words were exchanged at Henry Hudson's Pub between Allen Beckett, 53, and Brian Thomas. Witnesses said it was because Thomas was wearing a UT T-shirt.

Neither Thomas or Beckett chose to comment, but the police report described what happened to the victim, including graphic details about his injuries that included a torn scrotal sack with partially exposed testicles.

Now, if that sounds like the kind of fun Freddy is interested in, then by all means allow him to visit.

He has joined, i suspect he will speak for himself he he he

Edgey

The rust thing with iron covers is a real issue. I know someone who uses iron covers, and a week after playing in rainy conditions he took off his covers to find rust starting.

But on a more serious note, why would you bother stacking a bag with super manly GFF only to cover them up. You get forged irons to show the world what a stud you are. Using iron covers on GFF clubs would be akin to having a huge pair and wearing baggy board shorts to the beach instead of super tight speedo's or the thing Borat wears. If you've got it, flaunt it. Same goes for irons.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

so, rust vs dings.. i think i'll better off taking the dings. anyway, the value of the clubs will depreciate overtime.

as long as the performance of the clubs is not affected and i can fully utilize the forged irons in the next few years, i think i'll be fine with nicks and dings.

I happen to use Club Glove neoprene covers on my forged irons, and rust has never been an issue. However, I do live in an arid climate in Southern California; the midwest or southeast might be a different matter. Everything in life involves a tradeoff; you give something to get something. Take your pick, and let others make theirs.

so, rust vs dings.. i think i'll better off taking the dings. anyway, the value of the clubs will depreciate overtime.

as long as the performance of the clubs is not affected and i can fully utilize the forged irons in the next few years, i think i'll be fine with nicks and dings.

I like the look of my 32-s even more with their collection of slight dings. IMHO it doesn't detract from their incredible beauty.

It's really wouldn't have been a problem. What a killjoy.

There's only one thing that screams real man more than a set of GFF blades. That's GFF blades with dings. It shows that they aren't just there to look pretty. They're there to get the job done. I'd even go so far as to suggest that if you bought some blades brand new you take them in a cart for the first couple of rounds to bounce them around and ding them up a bit so they look worn in. Superficial dings on the sole or back of the club have no affect whatsoever on performance. The only dings you don't want are the ones you get on the face from hitting submerged stones or other debris during a shot. The other thing is to make sure you get the lofts and lies checked regularly (not sure how often but if you play on a course with hard fairways I'd reckon once a year would probably suffice).
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    The rust thing with iron covers is a real issue. I know someone who uses iron covers, and a week after playing in rainy conditions he took off his covers to find rust starting.
    Rust would only be an issue if you put the clubs away wet with the iron covers on them for a week or more. In a normal playing round of 4 hours no way rust is an issue.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Rust would only be an issue if you put the clubs away wet with the iron covers on them for a week or more. In a normal playing round of 4 hours no way rust is an issue.
    That's exactly what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    That's exactly what he did.
    Then he's stupid. Covers or no covers I take my clubs out of the bag and dry them off separately after playing in heavy rain.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Then he's stupid. Covers or no covers I take my clubs out of the bag and dry them off separately after playing in heavy rain.
    He probably had a bad round and just threw them in the corner when he got home and forgot about them. The reason he was stupid was because he used something as flaming gay as iron head covers on forged clubs. He got what he deserved for being such a pansie.

Thread Information