|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Knee problems??

Knee problems??

Any of you develop pain or soreness when developing your swing? I am a righty and my right knee feels tender after 18 holes and more so if walking. I have been taking lessons and the last few times they have not said anything about my knee position... I assume it is somewhat correct. Is this just the muscle strengthening? or did I fudge it up? Going to be in the high 70s next week...so I guess my knee will just get worse!

Probably time to try something in plastic, Rick They do amazing things with knees now. Hope you've got health insurance.

Could be just the muscle strengthening, but it could be a mix of fatigue from walking plus sliding around sideways and straining the tendons on the side of your knee.

I'd watch it, I tore my meniscus playing and it's not a pleasant experience. Hurts just enough to be really annoying and then really uncomfortable when you squat down.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Getting injured playing golf? What are you guys, a bunch of pus sies?

That's kinda weird that it's the right knee since you're a righty golfer. I've had and seen others w/ knee soreness but it's usually the left knee that gets twisted and planted on during the swing. Could it be an old football or basketball injury? Also and don't take this personally, but are you maybe carrying too much weight and golf is aggravating the situation? In my opinion, it could be anything and it's hard to tell based on what you've said. At a minimum I would try a knee sleeve/brace to see if it helps. In the long run, I would definitely get a doctor look at it before it turns into something serious. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Getting injured playing golf? What are you guys, a bunch of pus sies?
    No, just my extremely high swing speed seems to have these effects. It is almost like a sonic boom with my cobra lv4.... well it is nice to dream!

Quote Originally Posted by highfade
    That's kinda weird that it's the right knee since you're a righty golfer. I've had and seen others w/ knee soreness but it's usually the left knee that gets twisted and planted on during the swing. Could it be an old football or basketball injury? Also and don't take this personally, but are you maybe carrying too much weight and golf is aggravating the situation? In my opinion, it could be anything and it's hard to tell based on what you've said. At a minimum I would try a knee sleeve/brace to see if it helps. In the long run, I would definitely get a doctor look at it before it turns into something serious. Good luck.
    No I don't think it is weight issue considering I am a buck fifty and no previous injuries. After some research, it looks like a good brace needs to be prescribed by a doc. The funny thing is my left knee is a little sore as well. I have really been working on my swing... and it is my offseason at work so there is rarely a day where I don't at least hit balls. I have been trying not sway in my back swing, and keep my right leg locked, but maybe I need to have a little more of a bend to it.

What are some more of your symtons of the torn meniscus? I don't really feel to much pain squatting, a little soreness on the muscle on the top of the knee, but not on the sides. From my research, it seems like there is swelling and is difficult to put weight on the leg...I don't really have those symptoms. I played 36 holes yesterday, and felt no pain in my swing... only walking. I just hate getting an MRI if it is money wasted... sounds like the MRI is lie dedector.

It's Fred Funk's RIGHT knee that's failed him, and his surgeries left him with infections that have delayed his comeback... tough year for li'l Fred..

I normally feel 'too much golf' in my left knee... it takes all my weight and the torque of my impact-followthrough move, and the loading and twisting repeatedly leaves it puffy with extra fluid and kind of stiff.. usually happens when I hit too many range balls, not so much on the course.. I've already had the 'crab meat' taken out by scope years ago, but I'm sure there's lots more in there by now..
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    It's Fred Funk's RIGHT knee that's failed him, and his surgeries left him with infections that have delayed his comeback... tough year for li'l Fred..

I normally feel 'too much golf' in my left knee... it takes all my weight and the torque of my impact-followthrough move, and the loading and twisting repeatedly leaves it puffy with extra fluid and kind of stiff.. usually happens when I hit too many range balls, not so much on the course.. I've already had the 'crab meat' taken out by scope years ago, but I'm sure there's lots more in there by now..
    Hm. I feel 'to much golf' in my right ankle. The only other pain that bothers me durring golf is a little nerve problem in my hips.

Yes - I'm an old man.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

No I don't think it is weight issue considering I am a buck fifty and no previous injuries. After some research, it looks like a good brace needs to be prescribed by a doc. The funny thing is my left knee is a little sore as well. I have really been working on my swing... and it is my offseason at work so there is rarely a day where I don't at least hit balls. I have been trying not sway in my back swing, and keep my right leg locked, but maybe I need to have a little more of a bend to it.
    Hmm Try to do some stretching before and after your round,
    Rick you got fifty pounds on Golfaholic
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Taylormade v-steel copy 3 & 5 wood
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    Tayormade 2007 Burner 10.5 Driver
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by groundhogday
    Heh. Na, only 20

Quote Originally Posted by Rickw
    What are some more of your symtons of the torn meniscus? I don't really feel to much pain squatting, a little soreness on the muscle on the top of the knee, but not on the sides. From my research, it seems like there is swelling and is difficult to put weight on the leg...I don't really have those symptoms. I played 36 holes yesterday, and felt no pain in my swing... only walking. I just hate getting an MRI if it is money wasted... sounds like the MRI is lie dedector.
    I've had a torn medial meniscus on my right knee for 23 years. I can't simultaneously squat and twist my knee, but it really hasn't altered my life much at all. I can golf, snow ski, water ski, bicycle, and do nearly all normal activities. When it first happened, I saw an orthopedist who gave me 3 options. 1. Open surgery to repair the damage, but I wouldn't have been able to do any weight bearing on the knee for months; not a good option. 2. Arthroscopic surgery to remove the torn cartilage, but eventually I would have ended up bone on bone and had significant arthritis and needed a knee replacement, or 3. avoid bending and twisting my knee simultaneously, and live my life. I chose #3, and have done well. I got another opinion several years ago, and again chose to go conservatively.

I recently saw an old friend of mine I hadn't seen in the entire time since my injury. He was hobbling noticeably. He told me he had also had a torn meniscus, and had gone with option #2, and now years later was down to bone on bone and was needing a knee replacement in the not too distant future. He's still in his 50's.

The pain I had was a sharp, burning pain right in the medial aspect of the knee itself, worse with bending or twisting the joint; not on the kneecap (patella) or above the knee, but right in the knee itself. I only rarely have the pain now, and it goes away quickly with a few ibuprofen doses. I am very glad that in my situation I chose the non-surgical route. Obviously (like golf clubs, golf shafts, etc., etc.) my situation may not be the same as another person's. I'm just reporting what I have experienced, and am NOT trying to offer any advice to anybody else.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I've had a torn medial meniscus on my right knee for 23 years. I can't simultaneously squat and twist my knee, but it really hasn't altered my life much at all. I can golf, snow ski, water ski, bicycle, and do nearly all normal activities. When it first happened, I saw an orthopedist who gave me 3 options. 1. Open surgery to repair the damage, but I wouldn't have been able to do any weight bearing on the knee for months; not a good option. 2. Arthroscopic surgery to remove the torn cartilage, but eventually I would have ended up bone on bone and had significant arthritis and needed a knee replacement, or 3. avoid bending and twisting my knee simultaneously, and live my life. I chose #3, and have done well. I got another opinion several years ago, and again chose to go conservatively.

I recently saw an old friend of mine I hadn't seen in the entire time since my injury. He was hobbling noticeably. He told me he had also had a torn meniscus, and had gone with option #2, and now years later was down to bone on bone and was needing a knee replacement in the not too distant future. He's still in his 50's.

The pain I had was a sharp, burning pain right in the medial aspect of the knee itself, worse with bending or twisting the joint; not on the kneecap (patella) or above the knee, but right in the knee itself. I only rarely have the pain now, and it goes away quickly with a few ibuprofen doses. I am very glad that in my situation I chose the non-surgical route. Obviously (like golf clubs, golf shafts, etc., etc.) my situation may not be the same as another person's. I'm just reporting what I have experienced, and am NOT trying to offer any advice to anybody else.
    Thanks for the info... sounds like there is no perfect solution.

No I didn't stretch... guess I am getting older and need to.

you need to stretch and get some Advil. Hopefully Niffty's new socialized medicine state will pay for it.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

you need to stretch and get some Advil. Hopefully Niffty's new socialized medicine state will pay for it.
    Or maybe a croquest mallet. Or squash racquet. Or snooker cue. Sometimes a change of game is all that's needed.

Or maybe a croquest mallet. Or squash racquet. Or snooker cue. Sometimes a change of game is all that's needed.
    Comrade Niffty Why do you hate us conservatives so. i don't hate you I just disagree with you backwards thinking. I hope Osama is successful God Bless the USA. Opps my bad
    Sun Tzu

Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

Comrade Niffty Why do you hate us conservatives so. i don't hate you I just disagree with you backwards thinking. I hope Osama is successful God Bless the USA. Opps my bad
    Relax, GHD. We are what we are, but nobody's hating anybody.

We both try to advance our own values, and where there's the opportunity to do a little ball breaking, neither side has ever had the discipline to resist. In any case, this side is the golf forum!

Relax, GHD. We are what we are, but nobody's hating anybody.

We both try to advance our own values, and where there's the opportunity to do a little ball breaking, neither side has ever had the discipline to resist.
    Comrade Niffty your ideas don't work. I believe in evolution of ideas. During the nineteenth century there was a need for labor unions and the work they did generally was good. Today labor unions do not have the laborer in there best interest. They generally are only concerned about the accumulation of power. Case in point NEA Now do you really think they want to educate children to there fullest ability or do they want to advance the living standards of the teacher. Look at how our children are being educated today. Need I say more
    Last edited by groundhogday; 01-25-2009 at 10:12 PM.
    Sun Tzu

Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

We should take this to the non-golf forum before the mods get pissed off.

"Nineteenth century"

The little lightweight pipqueak from Canada probably thinks Progressive Liberal is a new golf company.
    Sun Tzu

Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

I was able to get my knee scoped for a torn meniscus about 10 years ago. The docs basically lasered off the scar tissue to help with inflammation. There is still a tear, but I've built up the knee using exercises to take some of the pressure off the tendon. It was a quality of life issue for me, since I was still playing a bunch of rec sports like b-ball, soccer and flag football along with golf. The rehab was a piece of cake. If you are still relatively young and would be committed to the rehab, at least talk to an ortho. I'm glad I went through a few weeks of discomfort. Maybe talk to a physical therapist as well. The docs pretty much gave me codeine and sent me home without any rehab advice.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I was able to get my knee scoped for a torn meniscus about 10 years ago. The docs basically lasered off the scar tissue to help with inflammation. There is still a tear, but I've built up the knee using exercises to take some of the pressure off the tendon. It was a quality of life issue for me, since I was still playing a bunch of rec sports like b-ball, soccer and flag football along with golf. The rehab was a piece of cake. If you are still relatively young and would be committed to the rehab, at least talk to an ortho. I'm glad I went through a few weeks of discomfort. Maybe talk to a physical therapist as well. The docs pretty much gave me codeine and sent me home without any rehab advice.
    This is a good example of what I said in my post about everybody having a different situation. I'm sure it depends on the cause of the problem and the severity of the problem what solutions are even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    We should take this to the non-golf forum before the mods get pissed off.
    You should take it to PM before the mods get pissed off and threads and posts start to disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    You should take it to PM before the mods get pissed off and threads and posts start to disappear.
    A little housekeeping never hurts! It's not my fault that the GR social neanderthals find me so damned interesting that they won't let these absurd dialogues come to a conclusion. I would think that you, as an Eastern Canadian, would be more receptive to progressive principles than they.

Still, I admit to being intrigued. Looking at how disrespectfully you are addressed in many of the other threads, I'd be hard pressed to figure out just what does piss you off, G!

A little housekeeping never hurts! It's not my fault that the GR social neanderthals find me so damned interesting that they won't let these absurd dialogues come to a conclusion. I would think that you, as an Eastern Canadian, would be more receptive to progressive principles than they.

Still, I admit to being intrigued. Looking at how disrespectfully you are addressed in many of the other threads, I'd be hard pressed to figure out just what does piss you off, G!
    yawwwwwwwn. wake me when he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    yawwwwwwwn. wake me when he's gone.
    Who pissed in your Wheaties, Lorenzo?

Do you actually think that your dismissive remark bothers me?

And if not, why did you waste cyber-space to make it?

Sometimes this place reminds me of the circus hook and ladder truck full of midget clowns....unless it's all some trick to give the newbie a huge superiority complex.

Not a lot does, my boy. But when it happens, you will know. Ohhh yes..you'll know. As a future rights violator of Canadian citizens, thick skin is a must have.

"Nineteenth century"

The little lightweight pipqueak from Canada probably thinks Progressive Liberal is a new golf company.
    What? Are you talking to me? Don't bring me into this ***** fest because I'll end it pretty damn fast.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    What? Are you talking to me? Don't bring me into this ***** fest because I'll end it pretty damn fast.
    This place has begun to bore the sh*t out of me, G.

Kindly cancel my account at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

This place has begun to bore the sh*t out of me, G.

Kindly cancel my account at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.
    Can find me at www.shottalk.com every now and then.

Peace out.

Account Perm. banned.

I would like to play golf with Nibbi and Rick. All I would have to do is mention politics and you two would be at each others throat for the entire round while I pocket both of your cash.

Seriously both of you should give it up. You're not going to influence the other; you both are too closed minded for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    I would like to play golf with Nibbi and Rick. All I would have to do is mention politics and you two would be at each others throat for the entire round while I pocket both of your cash.

Seriously both of you should give it up. You're not going to influence the other; you both are too closed minded for that to happen.

I think the bigger man walked away, just as my finger was on the Nuke button.

Now I am noticing my knee is popping... what the hell??

Quote Originally Posted by Rickw
    Now I am noticing my knee is popping... what the hell??
    Rick, we're not doctors we're antagonists. Please go make an appointment.

I had a compound femur fracture and a tibia plateau. The doc fixed an old meniscus tear while he was in the area. Good doc, no problems to date.

I would amputate if I was you.

ot a lot does, my boy. But when it happens, you will know. Ohhh yes..you'll know. As a future rights violator of Canadian citizens, thick skin is a must have.
    What career have you chosen Golfoholic Cop, Lawyer, Politician or Priest.

BTW Rick Don't do any surgery unless its a must. Try rehabbing first.
    Sun Tzu

Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

Three words Rick - flax seed oil.

What career have you chosen Golfoholic Cop, Lawyer, Politician or Priest.

BTW Rick Don't do any surgery unless its a must. Try rehabbing first.
    Hehe. Guess I should have been more specific.

I choose the one that involves a horse.

Carry on.

I choose the one that involves a horse.
    Mounted Royal Canadian Police or Adult animal sex star

I would guess you prefer the first you want to be Mounted????
    Sun Tzu

Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    I would amputate if I was you.
    Yes, but the amputation should be at the hip, not at the knee.....

I'm no expert in the area, but my knee (with a torn medial meniscus) is known to pop occasionally, but my wife's knee also occasionally pop, and she has no serious pathology in her knees, per her orthopedist.
    Last edited by dorkman53; 01-26-2009 at 01:26 PM.

I'm no expert in the area, but my knee (with a torn medial meniscus) is know to pop occasionally, but my wife's knee also occasionally pop, and she has no serious pathology in her knees, per her orthopedist.
    Knee popping isn't a symptom, just an annoyance. When it hurts after you pop it, then you have issues of concern. Fluid on the knee is the reason behind it, and then you know you have some sort of injury such as a torn meniscus. I got lucky in mine, as my meniscus was O shaped instead of C shaped and it tore partially. The doctor went in and trimmed it to the shape it should have been and solved the problem. Discomfort for 4-6 weeks and then I discovered I had water on the knee, which happens in they say 5% of people after that type of surgery. Cortizone shot, 3 days later, just fine.

The knee doesn't like cold weather though. No explanation for that.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

I'm no expert in the area, but my knee (with a torn medial meniscus) is know to pop occasionally, but my wife's knee also occasionally pop, and she has no serious pathology in her knees, per her orthopedist.
    Maybe you're just riding her too hard . . . .

Has Nifty really bugged out? Surely not. I know he had his initial teething problems with trolls here, but I thought he was getting the hang of GR.

Rick, as someone who has had long term knee problems in the past, I'd recommend you don't take chances and at least see an expert. My problem was an undiagnosed piece of floating bone the size of the tip of a finger that had hidden itself behind the knee cap and not shown up on x-rays, and caused destabilisation of the entire joint so I had an extremely unstable knee that would dislocate at the slightest pressure, and felt pain for a few days after any activity more strenuous than walkng. It finally popped out about 8 years ago and showed itself, and I got it taken out by a good ortho. I've had no issues or pain since.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Maybe you're just riding her too hard . . . .
    4 times a night for 72 years can begin to take its toll......

Thread Information