|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

New Irons for mid-high handicapper

Hello, first post, but been a viewer for quite a while.

What are people views and recommendations on 2008/09 irons? I'd need them to be fairly forgiving, but at the same time I'd prefer something that looks nice and not too chunky. I'm currently using 3-SW Ping G5 irons, but have looked at the Titleist cavity backed (AP1s?) as well as Mizuno's equivalent. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Have a look at the new Taylormade Tour Preferred irons. Smallish heads with a thin topline but still a very forgiving club.

They are the next model on from the R7 TP that I have that are also very forgiving without being too oversize or chunky.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Hi

Have got AP1's and they are very good, but....

You need a set of Ping Zing 2, as used by Lee John Westwood to spank the Yanks, welcome to GR

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

All well and good Edgey but he said 2008/2009 models not 1998/1999 models.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Look at the adams a4 tech they are very long very forgiving and are forged for a great feel in a GI iron,hit them you will love the look as well. they have a blade look to them.

I have a friend that golfs with the AP1s and they are a nice looking iron. I haven't played them personally. I don't think you can go wrong with the Mizuno 52s or 57s. I play the 52s and they are the best irons I have ever owned. They are ideal for a mid handicap player.

Quote Originally Posted by DENNIS7180GOLF
    Look at the adams a4 tech they are very long very forgiving and are forged for a great feel in a GI iron,hit them you will love the look as well. they have a blade look to them.
    Damn Dennis, didn't you just buy Titty irons a few months ago?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I have a friend that golfs with the AP1s and they are a nice looking iron. I haven't played them personally. I don't think you can go wrong with the Mizuno 52s or 57s. I play the 52s and they are the best irons I have ever owned. They are ideal for a mid handicap player.
    Titleist used to be serious about their equipment, but now they just seem to play marketing games like everybody else.

It's only my personal opinion, of course, but I don't think that they have a model out right now that's as good as my investment cast stainless steel mixed set of DCI O-Size+ Blacks and DCI 962s. (That was one of the top five iron sets that I've ever bagged.) And I'm playing forged carbon steel right now, so it's not that I'm prejudiced.

Referring to handicap is one of the improper ways in choosing your irons. This is because there are 3 factors which contribute to your handicap score: driving, irons & short game.

You can still swing a blade if short game is the one which causes high score. What blades has got to do with your short game ?

I met some old farts whose handicap were somewhere in the middle. They told me not to use blades or semi blades unless I reach the middle. What ironic is they literally knocked the balls with their blades !@#$%

Lessons learnt :

1. Just because your short game is good, doesn't mean you are good in using blades.
    2. Just because your short game is poor, doesn't mean you aren't good in using blades.

Many thanks for all your replies. I might see if I can hit a couple of demo Mizuno MP52s at the range.

Also....do you think using a premium ball eg Pro V1 can actually be counter productive to a higher handicapper (that's more prone to slicing it off the tee etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by Villegas
    Many thanks for all your replies. I might see if I can hit a couple of demo Mizuno MP52s at the range.

Also....do you think using a premium ball eg Pro V1 can actually be counter productive to a higher handicapper (that's more prone to slicing it off the tee etc)?
    Yes, I can see it as being counterproductive to your wallet.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Yes, I can see it as being counterproductive to your wallet.

Ha! I'm the first to admit I can be a golf snob, I know I can. I wouldn't dream of buying a sleeve of Top Flight balls even if they were supposed to be great. I'm thinking of trying Titleist NXT Tour instead of ProV1x though, especially in this weather when the greens are soft anyway.
    TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* stiff shaft
    Cleveland HiBore 5 wood
    TaylorMade r7 CGB MAX rescue 24*
    Ping G5 3-SW irons, standard lie
    Mizuno 52* gap wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM 60* lob wedge
    Odyssey White Hot putter
    Titleist ProV1x or TaylorMade TP Black

Tiger - "I read the quote. I went out there and played pretty good. Ten and 8 - it is what it is."

Quote Originally Posted by Villegas
    Ha! I'm the first to admit I can be a golf snob, I know I can. I wouldn't dream of buying a sleeve of Top Flight balls even if they were supposed to be great. I'm thinking of trying Titleist NXT Tour instead of ProV1x though, especially in this weather when the greens are soft anyway.
    Yeah, me too, but I rarely lose golf balls at my home course. Mostly, they get "out of round" which is an entirely subjective thing. Those go in the big side pocket of the bag and get used during the winter. When I was a mid/high handicapper, I was still working down a 5 gallon bucket of golf balls I'd found while working maintenance at a club. I used all kinds of balls but actually preferred the Pinnacles and Top Flites. But back then, the difference between premium balls and sh!t was huge, and there wasn't really a mid-range performance ball market. You either had wound balata balls or solid core surlyn and the difference was huge.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Yeah, me too, but I rarely lose golf balls at my home course. Mostly, they get "out of round" which is an entirely subjective thing. Those go in the big side pocket of the bag and get used during the winter. When I was a mid/high handicapper, I was still working down a 5 gallon bucket of golf balls I'd found while working maintenance at a club. I used all kinds of balls but actually preferred the Pinnacles and Top Flites. But back then, the difference between premium balls and sh!t was huge, and there wasn't really a mid-range performance ball market. You either had wound balata balls or solid core surlyn and the difference was huge.

I've not been playing too long, this will be my fourth year. I've always convinced myself that by using ProV1s then I'm bound to play better. Don't ask me why! Today's Golfer did a big article on golf balls recently and it seems that as a high handicapper I would be better off using something more mid-range. I think I've got some NXTs in the bag so I'm going to give them a whirl on Saturday.
    TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* stiff shaft
    Cleveland HiBore 5 wood
    TaylorMade r7 CGB MAX rescue 24*
    Ping G5 3-SW irons, standard lie
    Mizuno 52* gap wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM 60* lob wedge
    Odyssey White Hot putter
    Titleist ProV1x or TaylorMade TP Black

Tiger - "I read the quote. I went out there and played pretty good. Ten and 8 - it is what it is."

NXT's are crap balls. They are also overpriced here in Oz. You can get superseeded premium balls for less than them. I find the NXT's to be wayy too mushy off the driver, and are way shorter than other non premium balls. Go for the D2's if you want a good cheaper ball, they are heaps better than the NXT's and probably about half the price.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I trust Wilson balls.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Idea
    I trust Wilson balls.
    I've never been into Wilson balls, but they make probably the best cast irons in the business. The Ci7 and Di7 would mop the floor with anything from Ping or Callaway. If I ever decide to leave GFF and go to shovels (not gonna happen but if I did) Wilsons would be at the top of the list to try out.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I am a very big fan of Taylor Made TP's. They work better than ProV's for me! I will be trying the Bridestones this year just to see if they are as good as the advertising says they are!
    Irons: Ping Rapture V2 Graphite T939 4->U
    Wedges: Vokey 54* and 58*
    Putter: Odessey SaberTooth
    Golf Ball: TaylorMade TP
    Golf Bag: OGIO

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I've never been into Wilson balls, but they make probably the best cast irons in the business. The Ci7 and Di7 would mop the floor with anything from Ping or Callaway. If I ever decide to leave GFF and go to shovels (not gonna happen but if I did) Wilsons would be at the top of the list to try out.
    I've often thought that if I left Mizuno (and that is not going to happen either) I would go to Hogan's irons. I love the looks of them. Of course, they are forged and not cast, but they would be my other choice aside from Mizuno.

There are too many god used clubs on eBay now... Callaway X-16 , King Cobra....Just to name a few. I don't play other brands so can't command on those. Good iron clubs won't cure our bad swings. If God won't give us the talent then it takes practice to hopefully get to where we want to be

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I've often thought that if I left Mizuno (and that is not going to happen either) I would go to Hogan's irons. I love the looks of them. Of course, they are forged and not cast, but they would be my other choice aside from Mizuno.
    I think Hogans look really nice when they are new, but the used ones I see all look like sh!t. I don't think they age as nicely as Mizzys or Titties.
    Plus, Hogan is now owned by Choppaway. That poor angry bastard must be rolling in his grave.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Thread Information