|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Conditions

Conditions

Was wondering if anyone out there modified their game for play in soft conditions. I regularly play in VT where the ground is hard and fast, but am on vacation now and playing courses that have tremendous irrigation.

I find myself taking larger than normal divots, even on swings that I don't really go after the ball, and I have the tendency to hit some shots a little heavy. (mostly short pitches) I am assuming, without too much analysis, that these heavy shots are caused by a deceleration through the ball, but I am not sure. I'd say I hit about 2 of these per round. I am really making an extra effort to try and pick the ball clean and take very little divot.
    Has anyone else had to modify the way they strike the ball under these conditions, and if so what do you do?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't worry about the conditions. Those fat shots are caused by the fact that you're on vacation and drinking a little bit too much.

All will be fine when you get home. Is home Vermont or Virginia Tech?

Nicole - Can you post a video of your swing? It's hard to comment without knowing more.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Nicole - Can you post a video of your swing? It's hard to comment without knowing more.
    My God, he's completely shameless.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    My God, he's completely shameless.

He did a good job though of sounding perfectly innocent in his request though. Got to give him credit for that . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Nicole - Nifty and Sooner are great guys, they just don't appreciate that men and women can relate on an intellectual level or that a man might sincerely intend to merely be helpful to a woman.

So fear not and feel free to post that video. Nothing makes me happier than to help a new friend.
    GR lives...

Nicole - Nifty and Sooner are great guys, they just don't appreciate that men and women can relate on an intellectual level or that a man might sincerely intend to merely be helpful to a woman.

So fear not and feel free to post that video. Nothing makes me happier than to help a new friend.
    Now Romeo was Italian, but Cassanova, was he Italian or French?
    Anyhow Loz, good to see you carrying on the tradition of women charming Italian lovers!
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

You guys kid around so much! It's true I was born in Rome, but just because I was recently divorced, you make it sound as though I have something raging out of control. Yes, it rages, god knows. But it's completely under control.
    GR lives...

You guys kid around so much! It's true I was born in Rome, but just because I was recently divorced, you make it sound as though I have something raging out of control. Yes, it rages, god knows. But it's completely under control.
    Make the most of it, Lorenzo.

In time, it's not about raging so much.

Maybe a little itch now and then.

Maybe.

The raging part's great but it's not the only thing. They're just such interesting creatures.
    GR lives...

The raging part's great but it's not the only thing. They're just such interesting creatures.
    Well, here's the funny part.

If you take a better look at Nicole's post and typing, Nicole's probably not a broad.

[Was wondering if anyone out there modified their game for play in soft conditions. I regularly play in VT where the ground is hard and fast, but am on vacation now and playing courses that have tremendous irrigation.

I find myself taking larger than normal divots, even on swings that I don't really go after the ball, and I have the tendency to hit some shots a little heavy. (mostly short pitches) I am assuming, without too much analysis, that these heavy shots are caused by a deceleration through the ball, but I am not sure. I'd say I hit about 2 of these per round. I am really making an extra effort to try and pick the ball clean and take very little divot.
    Has anyone else had to modify the way they strike the ball under these conditions, and if so what do you do?Thanks!]

I found myself hit more fat shots when a course is wet.. So I learn to stand up just a touch "taller" , i.e. club face is not close the ground and it seems to work well for me. I apply the same technique when I hit fairway bunker shots and it work extrely well for me... practice, practice, practice

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    Well, here's the funny part.

If you take a better look at Nicole's post and typing, Nicole's probably not a broad.
    So then maybe someone should ask that they post a video?
    GR lives...

So, what are you going to do with the video ?

I think most people take bigger divots and hit more fat shots in wet conditions. One of the big reasons IM is that we all get sloppy with our swings and actually hit down on the ball too steeply in dry conditions, knowing that the hard ground will provide resistance and we will still make good contact with the ball even if we hit the gound a little behind the ball first. But in soft conditions there is a premium on making precise ball before ground contact, as any gorund first contact will result in the dreaded fat shot. No real way to avoid it from my experience, but I wouldn't go trying to mess around too much and taking no divots, as that it is a fundamental swing change which provides a whole new set of problems.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I've played some of my best golf on wet days, and I'm pretty sure the reason for it is because I'm generally a sweeper and not a digger. I only go down after the ball and take a big divot on a shot I need to spin. All other shots get the "sweep" treatment, as I find I get more consistent clubface contact when I shallow my approach angle coming in to impact. If I miss it, it's usually just a bit thin, and it really eliminates the fat shot.

Since there's little need to spin a ball if the greens are soft and wet, the sweep becomes a very reliable and consistent way to get it around on wet days.

Hopefully some food for thought.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Thread Information