|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Golf Books

Golf Books

Has anyone read "The Down Hill Lie" being advertised on this site? Just curious...is it as funny as the ads and some people say it is?

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    Has anyone read "The Down Hill Lie" being advertised on this site? Just curious...is it as funny as the ads and some people say it is?
    It's terrible. I read it one time and it made the head of my driver cave in.

The only decent golf book ever written IMO is Jack Nicklaus Playing Lessons. The reason it is so good is because it is not about the golf swing, but actually how to play the game. It goes more into logic and course management and little tips that can improve your game, not over complicated swing mechanics that just leave you confused and lacking confidence.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    The only decent golf book ever written IMO is Jack Nicklaus Playing Lessons. The reason it is so good is because it is not about the golf swing, but actually how to play the game. It goes more into logic and course management and little tips that can improve your game, not over complicated swing mechanics that just leave you confused and lacking confidence.

You must mean like Hogan's book . . . . . . you know, the one Larry promotes.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

One of the best golf books ever written has to be 'Understanding the Golf Swing' by Manuel De La Torre.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I'd never read a Hogan book on basic principle, but if Larry promotes it you know it's not worth reading anyway. The thing I like about 'Playing Lessons' is that it's just that. Lessons on how to play golf, not how to swing a golf club. I honestly think it's the only book that every single golfer could get soemthing from, as it's more about how to use your brains and eyes around the course to make the game easier.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Any time Im having some trouble with my swing i always revert back to the Hogans 5 fundementals. For some reason it has never failed to put me back on track . Ill flip thru the pages and find what I think is the problem and start reading. You can never go wrong when you revert back to the basics if your having some bad days. Im not saying it the best book to read , but it has some solid paragraphs amongst the pages that can fix a few faults or habits that golfers tend to have.
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

I am slowly reading Hogan's book. The thing to do with that book is to sift through and try to apply things you are unsure of / trying to work on etc. The book does not have to be confusing if you read selectively. I have huge respect for Mr. Hogan, seeing as he was one of the all time greats, not to mention a fellow Texan. It's not his fault Larry has sullied his good name.

I was talking about "the downhill lie"...it's not really a golf book...more of a diary of some sports writer about him starting to play golf when he's older. Some people have asked if I've read it, they said it was humorous. These people frequent our course and are older so I'm not sure if it's "funny" or actually funny. Hogan's book is interesting but too convoluted unless you know what you're doing. Jack's book is a good read...has some very great basic tips. NAH is correct IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    I was talking about "the downhill lie"...it's not really a golf book...more of a diary of some sports writer about him starting to play golf when he's older. Some people have asked if I've read it, they said it was humorous. These people frequent our course and are older so I'm not sure if it's "funny" or actually funny. Hogan's book is interesting but too convoluted unless you know what you're doing. Jack's book is a good read...has some very great basic tips. NAH is correct IMO.
    Nicklaus also released a book on the full swing, and I thought it sucked arse. Playing lessons keeps the technical aspects to a minimum, and actually assumes a certain level of technical competency of the reader.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasJeff
    I am slowly reading Hogan's book. The thing to do with that book is to sift through and try to apply things you are unsure of / trying to work on etc. The book does not have to be confusing if you read selectively. I have huge respect for Mr. Hogan, seeing as he was one of the all time greats, not to mention a fellow Texan. It's not his fault Larry has sullied his good name.
    Texas Jeff your avatar is one UUUUGLY MOFO. I hope thats not you in that picture. If it is ......I apologize , but still bro...............dam thats one UGMO fa sho
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

I can't understand why you guys are all dissing Hogans Five Fundamentals. What's wrong with having 125 swing thoughts whilst lining up your drive on the 1st tee?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Hogan would have to be the most over-respected golfer ever. All this Mister Hogan BS he made people go on with. The guy was nothing more than a whiny little terd with a really bad dose of short mans disease. So what if he could hit a decent ball, you need personality to go with it to be a real hero (JD). The reverence in which he is spoken and written about makes me wanna puke.

Hogan would have to be the most over-respected golfer ever. All this Mister Hogan BS he made people go on with. The guy was nothing more than a whiny little terd with a really bad dose of short mans disease. So what if he could hit a decent ball, you need personality to go with it to be a real hero (JD). The reverence in which he is spoken and written about makes me wanna puke.
    I agree totally NAH..............this guy was as dumb as an elbow on a monkey........I think what makes people respect him so much is that he was in that real bad accident , and came back to win some tourneys right after it, or the fact that he was pretty much a self taught player who could hit a nice fade from a closed stance, and won quite a few big golf tourneys aswell.
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Quote Originally Posted by ProStatus
    Texas Jeff your avatar is one UUUUGLY MOFO. I hope thats not you in that picture. If it is ......I apologize , but still bro...............dam thats one UGMO fa sho
    That's Stevie Ray Vaughan. He may have been ugly, but he was a multi millionaire and married to a supermodel. As for Hogan, hes done more in golf than any choker that came from that rock you guys call home.

That's Stevie Ray Vaughan. He may have been ugly, but he was a multi millionaire and married to a supermodel. As for Hogan, hes done more in golf than any choker that came from that rock you guys call home.
    See what I mean......................Idolization amongst people who have money .................Soooo what if he was a millionaire and had a hot wife who married him for his money. Hes just another man like you and I who played the cards he was dealt. That doesnt make him special, or worthy of a reach around.
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Norman could give him 2 a side and dust his whingy, sourball arse any day of the week. As long it wasn't at Augusta on Sunday at the Masters. Hogan wouldn't be a factor if he played today. Hogan would be the runt of the litter in any pairing on todays tour. He'd make Pavin look like a muscly guy.

See what I mean......................Idolization amongst people who have money .................Soooo what if he was a millionaire and had a hot wife who married him for his money. Hes just another man like you and I who played the cards he was dealt. That doesnt make him special, or worthy of a reach around.
    And the reason he was so rich and could afford such a hot wife is because of all the idiots around who paid good money for his middle of the road crap music.

I agree totally NAH..............this guy was as dumb as an elbow on a monkey........I think what makes people respect him so much is that he was in that real bad accident , and came back to win some tourneys right after it, or the fact that he was pretty much a self taught player who could hit a nice fade from a closed stance, and won quite a few big golf tourneys aswell.
    I actually think part of the reason he was so revered was because of the image he built for himself, centred around being reclusive and abrasive, and basically just an obnoxious little terd. I remember reading some story about one of his playing partners scoring an ace and Hogan didn't mutter a word, not even so much as 'good shot'. Hogan apparently then had the audacity to not open his mouth til the next tee when he asked what score he got on the last. What a wanker.

This is why. He may have been an arsehole and mediocre putter, but find someone who swung, or swings, it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_6M...eature=related

Skip the first 80% or so until he swings.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a German
    This is why. He may have been an arsehole and mediocre putter, but find someone who swung, or swings, it better.

If you dont mind................Of course I dont mind, your swinging not me mr hogan
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

He didnt earn the title "Wee Ice Mon" for nothing. The Scots came to adore him for qualities obviously lost by those in the Southern Hemisphere. And he is one of few to win the US Open back to back. There can be no denying his greatness, you bitter little men.

While I enjoy seeing Hogan play in some of the old footage I find his over zealous fans to be the problem. They sing the praises of his book. That work is crap & it has done more to hurt peoples swing then any other golf book in history. What is really hard to belive is all the crap about 'Hogans Secret.' I mean enough alreay! It seems every year someone comes up with the ansrew to his 'secret.' The money train that is Hogan is still chuggin along...........he did make nice irons though.........

I could care less about the book. Nicklaus said he had the best swing by far he had ever seen. 64 career wins. Good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a German

Admit it NAG.

You got that video clip from one of Larry's threads. Was that a zero leverage swing?

Now where the f#ck am I?

He didnt earn the title "Wee Ice Mon" for nothing. The Scots came to adore him for qualities obviously lost by those in the Southern Hemisphere. And he is one of few to win the US Open back to back. There can be no denying his greatness, you bitter little men.
    Hey TJ

You shouldn't take the view of one loud mouth, opinionated Aussie as being representative of all of 'those in the Southern Hemisphere'.

Hogan is recognized in the SH for his massive contribution to the game and his place in golf history is assured. Love him or loathe him his greatness is undeniable.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Hey TJ

You shouldn't take the view of one loud mouth, opinionated Aussie as being representative of all of 'those in the Southern Hemisphere'.

Hogan is recognized in the SH for his massive contribution to the game and his place in golf history is assured. Love him or loathe him his greatness is undeniable.
    You are right, I apologize for the disrespect. I have nothing against the Southern Hemisphere.

You are right, I apologize for the disrespect. I have nothing against the Southern Hemisphere.
    LOL

No need to apologize TJ but if you took everything NAH posts as representative of the whole Southern Hemisphere you'd think there was nothing but a bunch of loud mouth, obnoxious, opinionated bigots south of the equator.

Now where the f#ck am I?

If my flatulence would ever subside I might feel the same way.

Admit it NAG.

You got that video clip from one of Larry's threads. Was that a zero leverage swing?
    Larry is alot more intelligent, charming and gracious than he seems to get credit for here. I feel I can relate to him, maybe because I had something stuck up my arse once. Ok, more than once.

Hey TJ

Speak for yourself here Kiwi. Where do you think I've read all the stuff about Hoagan and how big an arsehole he was? In Australian golf publications. Hogan the golfer cannot be denied, but 64 tour vcitories doesn't mean you can't be an arsehole off the course. And you are right about his place being in history. He is yesterday's man. If every pro (including Tiger) had the same dosposition as Hogan, golf would still be 5 pages in on the sports pages and players would still be playing for peanuts. He was actually detrimental to the game that gave him so much. He gave very little back in the way of PR or even interviews.

Speak for yourself here Kiwi. Where do you think I've read all the stuff about Hoagan and how big an arsehole he was? In Australian golf publications. Hogan the golfer cannot be denied, but 64 tour vcitories doesn't mean you can't be an arsehole off the course. And you are right about his place being in history. He is yesterday's man. If every pro (including Tiger) had the same dosposition as Hogan, golf would still be 5 pages in on the sports pages and players would still be playing for peanuts. He was actually detrimental to the game that gave him so much. He gave very little back in the way of PR or even interviews.
    I thought the ******* thing was just on the course like an intimidation factor type deal. I guess you have a point NAH. Perhaps watching his old man blow his brains out made him have the " don't get to close to people" syndrome lol. I have heard of the wreck and the suicide of course but I dont delve into these peoples personal lives. I wonder how many times he would have won had it not been for the wreck. We can never know of course but I am guessing more than 64. Apparently it was a minor miracle he ever golfed again. That speaks to what must have been an incredible will, which is also admirable. These are the reasons I admire him so much.

I thought the ******* thing was just on the course like an intimidation factor type deal. I guess you have a point NAH. Perhaps watching his old man blow his brains out made him have the " don't get to close to people" syndrome lol. I have heard of the wreck and the suicide of course but I dont delve into these peoples personal lives. I wonder how many times he would have won had it not been for the wreck. We can never know of course but I am guessing more than 64. Apparently it was a minor miracle he ever golfed again. That speaks to what must have been an incredible will, which is also admirable. These are the reasons I admire him so much.
    If he was an Oklahoman, you'd hate his guts though.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    If he was an Oklahoman, you'd hate his guts though.
    No, I just wouldn't care, kind of like when two teams you don't care about are playing each other. I reserve my hatred for the Al-kayders.

Still on Hogan and what an arsehole he was, how about the Gary Player story. A young player got me "Mr" Hogan and told him what an idol he was and how he modelled himself on him blah blah. He then asked "Mr" Hogan for some advice, at which time Hogan asked him what clubs he was playing. When Player replied "Dunlop" Hogan said "Why don't you go ask Mr Dunlop."

Hogan couldn't have been too bad. Johnny Miller once went up to him while he was eating lunch and tried to talk to him and Hogan told him piss off, can't you see I'm eating?
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    Hogan couldn't have been too bad. Johnny Miller once went up to him while he was eating lunch and tried to talk to him and Hogan told him piss off, can't you see I'm eating?
    So even Hogan had some redeeming qualities, even though it would not have been personal to Miller, just a standard arsehole response.

He was just doing the golf world a favor at that time. Unfortunately, NBC missed that memo. If Hogan were still around it never would have happened.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Thread Information