|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Accenture WGC Plays and Discussion

The books have come out with the first round matchups and I'm going to post a few I am considering for you to discuss or hijack the thread or whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Miguel Angel Jimenez +115 vs. Sabbatini -135 -- I kind of like fading guys that played very well in tourneys the week previous to a contest. As someone mentioned in another thread, Sabbatini has been injured and is recovering as he plays along. I'm thinking he could be a bit sore and tight from last weeks great effort and may not come in playing his best here. On the other hand, I like Jimenez. He's called the mechanic for a reason -- he's mechanical and doesn't rattle easy -- consistent. Despite the fact that he is one of the ugliest guys on tour, he is a damn good golfer and he has played a lot of these match type formats in Ryders Cup and other competitions. Good value on the dog here IMO.

Luke Donald -160 vs. Ben Curtis +140 -- It is a lot of juice to lay -160 on Donald, but his game is solid right now and Ben Curtis hasn't even sniffed the top 25 in 3 events this year but once. Besides, Donald plays Mizuno irons and that automatically gives him an edge up in this match.

Jeev Singh +105 vs. Ian Coulter -125 -- Singh got his feet wet on American soil last week at the Northern and came in 31st with a pretty solid performance. Coulter partied with the Aussies at the Johnny Walker tourney and also turned in a solid performance with a 21st place finish in a weak field. The travel for Coulter this week is drastic in comparison to Singh's and I think Singh has the game to pull an upset here. Coulter's mind will be more on what color shirt and pants he will be wearing for his round 1 match than actually playing golf.

Boo Weekley -115 vs. Justin Rose -105 -- Can anyone deny the greatness of Boo Boo Bear in match play? All we have to do is remember the Ryder Cup here. Rose is a competitor as well, but Weekley has enough redneck in him to want to take down the foreigner on American soil. Besides, Weekley knows he needs the money here to help him get to en early retirement where he can fish for Bass and hunt ducks . . . .

Paul Casey -120 vs. Aaron Baddeley +100 -- Casey has been playing very solid golf this year so far while Badds has not been to shiny. -120 is not too much juice to lay on the golfer who seems to have his game together right now.

Pat Perez +125 vs. Padraig Harrington -145 -- This may be the best bet of the day right here. Perez has been VERY solid since the start of the year, but Harrington has been very inconsistent and rusty. Harrington is such a huge favorite simply because of his world ranking and performance from last season. BUT, since his injury last year, he has not shown a great deal of consistency.

This is what I'm liking right now, but I could find more before Wednesday . . . . I'll have my final plays for Wednesday's first round posted by tomorrow night . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Ben Curtis hasn't even sniffed the top 25 in 3 events this year but once. . . . .
    Ben Curtis has to be turning a corner to sniff anything. How he hasn't had that beak fixed is beyond me.

I have a feeling that Curtis is going to beat Donald, but he is a huge dog according to Vegas.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    I have a feeling that Curtis is going to beat Donald, but he is a huge dog according to Vegas.
    What would lead you to think that? I would really like to hear your reasoning before I lay my money tomorrow night . . . . .

What would lead you to think that? I would really like to hear your reasoning before I lay my money tomorrow night . . . . .
    Its really just a gut instinct. Curtis strikes me as being a little mentally tougher than Donald, but like I said before, the guys who set the line at Vegas know a hell of a lot more than I do. I have seen a few experts picking Donald to win 3 matches. Don't make the pick based on my gut.

Good Luck...seems like you've been doing pretty good so far.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

I think Harrington is going to thump Perez. I like the rest of your picks, but I'll never root against my favorite player, Sabbatini.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I went with the value plays for the first round tomorrow. I decided not to play any juice on the first day. Here is what I am playing tomorrow:

Angel Cabrera +155 over Moobs

Miguel Angel Jimenez +115 over Sabbatini

Pat Perez +115 over Harrington

I like the value you got for Cabrera. Moobs has been wholly disappointing at matchplay throughout his entire career. The choking that usually comes on the last day of a tournament when he's in contention flows on to his mindset for matchplay. I can't see him getting too far in this tournament and it would not surprise at all to see him get rolled by the big spic. At those odds it's definitely worth a flutter. As for the other two, I just plain don't like Jiminez (must be the ugly head and pony tail, all he needs is a Porsche and he'd be the complete cliched drug dealer) so I couldn't back him, and I'm a Paddy fan and like his chances as he is mentally tougher than Perez, and matchplay is all about mental toughness.

I note you haven't mentioned anything about Charlie Hoffman. I can only assume he's not in the field, as any self respecting GR member like your good self would highlight his matches in the absence of JD.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Well, it's no surprise Kenny Perry has lost in the first round to a virtual nobody in Matthew Goggin. Rumor has it, he's catching a flight to Mexico to play in the Mayakoba Classic. He just needed some T-33 traveling money.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Moobs won it. Cabrera shot like **** the last two holes. He got away with it on the 18th with a "pull it out of your ass" putt. But, he didn't get away with poor shot making on the playoff hole.

As I said in another thread, Goggin uses forged blades and is a pure ball striker. Perry would have been disorientated by this, wondering why he was in a tourney with real golfers. He was obviously way out of his comfort zone.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I went with the value plays for the first round tomorrow. I decided not to play any juice on the first day. Here is what I am playing tomorrow:

Angel Cabrera +155 over Moobs

Miguel Angel Jimenez +115 over Sabbatini

Pat Perez +115 over Harrington

2-1 on the day and nice $130 profit . . . . .

I'll have a Day 2 thread up with some plays tonight. It was good to see Tiger Woods back on the course again . . . .

Thread Information