|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Great Head Is Expensive

Recently changed my driver head from the TEE to the 909 D3. Have now played a few rounds with it.

Really liking the set-up but damn those Titleist drivers aren't cheap.
    GR lives...

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    as dorkman would say, let us know when it drops 3 or 4 strokes off your handicap.....
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

I agree, great head is expensive. It will cost you about $75 on the streets of OKC and I have heard that that is cheep in comparison to other places around the nation.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

$75.00 for a current model Titleist driver head means that it's either fake or stolen, no? They're expensive.

My first titanium driver was a Titleist Howitzer, which for some reason isn't even on their archive pages. I've still got it, and it cost me over $300 when that was virtually unheard of for a single golf club.

finally someone posts a pic of a club that wouldn't make boy george blush.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Recently changed my driver head from the TEE to the 909 D3. Have now played a few rounds with it.

Really liking the set-up but damn those Titleist drivers aren't cheap.
    i like the feel of the D3 a lot... but i just couldnt spin it enough... so my 907 D2 was longer.... i was thinking about changing drivers but nothing spins the ball enough for me... they all just fall outta the sky too early... im even thinking about putting a redboard in it to try and spin it a bit more...

your right though... great drivers but not cheap...

zo, weren't you one of the first ones on here slamming the new titty drivers when you first saw them?

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    $75.00 for a current model Titleist driver head means that it's either fake or stolen, no? They're expensive.

My first titanium driver was a Titleist Howitzer, which for some reason isn't even on their archive pages. I've still got it, and it cost me over $300 when that was virtually unheard of for a single golf club.

You kind of missed the jest of my post. I'll blame that on your age and neglect in the use of Viagara.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    You kind of missed the jest of my post. I'll blame that on your age and neglect in the use of Viagara.
    Wow, I guess the hell I did!
    I even missed it in the thread title.
    Oh well, as you said, I'm freaking decrepit.

Anyway, you got a picture of an old Howitzer out of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    zo, weren't you one of the first ones on here slamming the new titty drivers when you first saw them?
    I was. I think I said the 909comp was not a player's driver but was being marketed as though it were, that the D2 wasn't much of an improvement if at all and that the D3 was nice but they were saying it was as good as the 983K so I thought why not just pull out your old 983K.

Then I used it on the launch monitor and saw better nos. than I've gotten with anything else. And now that I've played it for a little while, I think the feel and workability are better than any of Titleist's other big headed drivers.

But isn't it funny it's the biggest club ho-s on GR that are the quickest to parrot out the "let us know when your handicap drops by 4 strokes". Please guys, try and contain your self-hatred.
    Last edited by lorenzoinoc; 02-20-2009 at 08:50 PM.
    GR lives...

Inexpensive Head

Yes they are. My 976R cost me $ 1.04 on ebay. Works great.

Thanks for the Howitzer pic, Nibbler. That was my first metal driver. I thought it was gigantic when I got it. Great head is indeed expensive. You can terrible, desperate head from crack whores at quite the bargain.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Yeap guys... gread HEAD is always expensive... No way around it

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Thanks for the Howitzer pic, Nibbler. That was my first metal driver. I thought it was gigantic when I got it..
    My first metal driver, steel, was a Taylor Made Original One, which wasn't very big at all, but the Howitzer was my first titanium one, and that did seem big after the Original One.

You don't see them much any more, but I used titanium fairway woods with the Howitzer--Spalding Top Flite Intimidator 400s They were black, unlike the Titleist driver, and Lee Trevino hawked them back at the time.

I still have them too, but unlike as with the Titleist driver, I got them real cheap--around $40 each brand new at closeout.

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360

your right though... great drivers but not cheap...
    Not so sure about that. About good quality heads being expensive. Bought a recently superceded TEE 10.5 with a fuji S on ebay for $89 brand new with headcover. Recieved it last week and have so far played 2 rounds with it. Like it a lot! It would take some doing to push my Nickent 4dx out of the bag, but at this stage it puts it in the shade. Contrary to some reviews and reports, I have found it very workable, right/left, high/low. I hit one of my longest ever drives with it today, although the wind was accross and helping a bit. So quality does cost, but there are some bargains out there.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Not so sure about that. About good quality heads being expensive. Bought a recently superceded TEE 10.5 with a fuji S on ebay for $89 brand new with headcover. Recieved it last week and have so far played 2 rounds with it. Like it a lot! It would take some doing to push my Nickent 4dx out of the bag, but at this stage it puts it in the shade. Contrary to some reviews and reports, I have found it very workable, right/left, high/low. I hit one of my longest ever drives with it today, although the wind was accross and helping a bit. So quality does cost, but there are some bargains out there.
    i mean titleist drivers are great... but not cheap...

There alot of TEE fans out there but I had problems adjusting to it. I think if you've spent much time playing Titleist drivers in the past, there's a chance you're addicted to the feel of some of their past models. The D3 seems to have captured and magnified that feel.

As stupid as it may sound, I had a hard time aligning the TEE. That's my flaw but I finally had to give up trying to fix that. I hate paying the extra freight to Titleist but I seem to do it anyways every couple of years.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    i mean titleist drivers are great... but not cheap...
    Yeah Pingman I got that, I wasn't trying to miss-quote you just putting in a comment on the thread title "good heads aren't cheap. Talking about titleist; I had the D2,I tried one at 9.5 and one at 10.5 but I didn't fancy them. Granted I only tried the stock shafts, one had a VS proto and the other a speeder. Just could not get consistent distance or shot shaping out of them. Perhaps they were not that forgiving. Also they did not feel that great or solid out of the screws. Its fair to concede that they would have been better with a higher quality shaft, but I just did not fancy them so I sold them and moved on.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Yeah Pingman I got that, I wasn't trying to miss-quote you just putting in a comment on the thread title "good heads aren't cheap. Talking about titleist; I had the D2,I tried one at 9.5 and one at 10.5 but I didn't fancy them. Granted I only tried the stock shafts, one had a VS proto and the other a speeder. Just could not get consistent distance or shot shaping out of them. Perhaps they were not that forgiving. Also they did not feel that great or solid out of the screws. Its fair to concede that they would have been better with a higher quality shaft, but I just did not fancy them so I sold them and moved on.
    I played the older D2 for awhile and was never wowed by that club even from day 1. But I had that stupid Proto in it and clubfitters love that shaft because it's good for their reshafting business.

My son has the same D2 but with a good aftermarket shaft and does really well with it, won't take it out of the bag and isn't interested in anything else. We'll see. He got his last few drivers out of my bag and I think one day he'll pull out the D3, too.
    GR lives...

I played the older D2 for awhile and was never wowed by that club even from day 1. But I had that stupid Proto in it and clubfitters love that shaft because it's good for their reshafting business.

My son has the same D2 but with a good aftermarket shaft and does really well with it, won't take it out of the bag and isn't interested in anything else. We'll see. He got his last few drivers out of my bag and I think one day he'll pull out the D3, too.
    What's the info on the D3? How does it differ from the D2?

Recently,i'm changing a new golf set from Golf Clubs,The key is very cheap and it feel well. let me show pohto.

Callaway Big Bertha Diablo Fairway Wood
    Callaway FT-i Driver

But isn't it funny it's the biggest club ho-s on GR that are the quickest to parrot out the "let us know when your handicap drops by 4 strokes". Please guys, try and contain your self-hatred.
    now why you goin' dissin dman like that?

Especially since the whole point is to take four strokes off your game without taking it off your handicap.

What's the info on the D3? How does it differ from the D2?
    I'm not a technical guy, I'm more of a hit it and see WTF it does guy? But here's the link on what Titleist says about it.

http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/dr...ult.asp?bhcp=1

Since they're an OEM, you'll have to scrape off the marketing sh!t (at least 85% of it) to uncover information that's close to accurate or worth your time reading.
    GR lives...

Was our TEE the Tour Proto Zo? I had a hit with one of them and it was the best feeling driver I've ever hit. I think a big part of whyit was so good was that it is set up for tour players (heavier and with a 2 degree open face). It had a VS proto in it too, but a real aftermarket 80 in stiff, not a junk, POS, production line 65 that Titleist and other unscrupulous OEM companies put in their drivers trying to trick you into thinking you have a $200 shaft in it. I'm very happy with my current driver set up and am not looking to change, but if that TEE stays in the pro shop for sale long enough I know it will find it's way into my bag. Haven't hit any other TEE so can't comment, but the TEE Tour Proto is the ducks nuts.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Was our TEE the Tour Proto Zo? I had a hit with one of them and it was the best feeling driver I've ever hit. I think a big part of whyit was so good was that it is set up for tour players (heavier and with a 2 degree open face). It had a VS proto in it too, but a real aftermarket 80 in stiff, not a junk, POS, production line 65 that Titleist and other unscrupulous OEM companies put in their drivers trying to trick you into thinking you have a $200 shaft in it. I'm very happy with my current driver set up and am not looking to change, but if that TEE stays in the pro shop for sale long enough I know it will find it's way into my bag. Haven't hit any other TEE so can't comment, but the TEE Tour Proto is the ducks nuts.

NAH, I like you, but I'll take my 65 VS Proto out and outdrive you by 20+ yards any day of the week. If it says VS Proto on it, it is a damn good shaft no matter what the gram weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    The aftermarket, real proto could be an excellent shaft. But the one Titleist included with their D2-s, like most OEM "made for" shafts is not close to the aftermarket in cost or quality. Some people like the OEM Proto, particularly if their bad swings aren't snappers. Others fall prey to the tip being softer than advertised and develop the hooks.

The TEE Tour could be a great head. I've heard good things about it from credible people.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick

Especially since the whole point is to take four strokes off your game without taking it off your handicap.
    you can get away with that for one or two competitions, and if the prizes are nice, might be worth it.. :-)

just grin stupidly on every tee shot and go 'wow, this new driver is even better than I thought!"
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

regarding thread title, in my experience the more you pay the worse it gets..

expensive dinners, movies, limo bills, corsages.. the costs just keep going up and up, and when the payoff comes, it's a colossal disappointment.

a straight $75 would have been welcome news on some nights.. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

I've been using 10.5* TEE for over a year now, it comes with a 65-g R-flex Aldila shaft and it is by far the best driver that I've had. I don't hit long , 220+/- , max at 250 with the right conditions, but 80% on fairways. I read some good reviews about TEE XLD, so bought an almost new 10.5* XLD which came with X-Quad 66-g R-flex. I hit it as long as my original TEE, but ball dispersion is not as good as my TEE. So, I am going to put it back on eBay this weekend to find a new ownwer. In the meantime, I just eBayed another 10.5* TEE , same head but this one comes with a 55-g Fuji R-flex shaft, it should arrive on Thursday then I could take it to a golf course on Friday PM after work. I am hoping the lighter shaft and different shaft would give another 10 yds, but who knows, if ball dispersion is not as good, then I would put it back on eBay again. Two weeks ago, I hit my friend's TaylorMade Burner, 10.5* with 50-g STIFF stock shaft. What interesting is that this club flexes more like my 65-g R-flex Aldila NV, and I hit it as straight and same distance as my TEE... So, stiff shaft from one driver could be = as R-flex of another driver. What I like about the TM Burner is that it has a beautiful square setup... I would not hesitate to purchase this club if I were in the market for a good driver

Hey Nifty, you were ahead of your time. You were using a thriver when most of GR before most of us were shaving.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    regarding thread title, in my experience the more you pay the worse it gets..

expensive dinners, movies, limo bills, corsages.. the costs just keep going up and up, and when the payoff comes, it's a colossal disappointment.

a straight $75 would have been welcome news on some nights.. :-)
    It's best if they're good at it, know it and there's some possible future reward in the balance.
    GR lives...

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    NAH, I like you, but I'll take my 65 VS Proto out and outdrive you by 20+ yards any day of the week. If it says VS Proto on it, it is a damn good shaft no matter what the gram weight.

I agree that the VS Proto is a great shaft, but I think there are restrictions against saying that you'll outdrive anyone when you're rollin out a 13* driver.
    Step right up, folks. See if you can outdrive the amazing, golf ball...ah, wacker guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore
    I agree that the VS Proto is a great shaft, but I think there are restrictions against saying that you'll outdrive anyone when you're rollin out a 13* driver.
    Ever hit one with a mid to high kick point? Just the right combination for me . . . .

I see a lot of folks hitting 9.5° drivers practically off their left toes, really hitting the ball on an exaggerated upswing. You almost think that the clubhead has to be losing acceleration by the time it gets that far down the swingpath.

Some people with very lofted drivers don't play the ball any further left than with any other long club and tee the ball lower.

Loft is an important factor but just one.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore
    Thanks for saving me te effort of replying. Sooner is a great guy, but I wouldn't exactly be shaking in my boots facing a guy in a driving contest who pulled out a 13 degree driver.

Thread Information