|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Pros Practice Swing - Gentle Swing, Then Line Up

Sorry if posted before but who has adopted the pros practice swing of a gentle swing way behind the ball and then line up and hit.

This is so different from what I am used to....what most do (and me) is line up just next to ball, a few FULL fast practice swings, then line up at ball and fire. Seems the pro version doesn't "set" the muscle memory, but then again most of us are not pros

Maybe I'll try the pro version on a few holes and see the results....

Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    Sorry if posted before but who has adopted the pros practice swing of a gentle swing way behind the ball and then line up and hit.

This is so different from what I am used to....what most do (and me) is line up just next to ball, a few FULL fast practice swings, then line up at ball and fire. Seems the pro version doesn't "set" the muscle memory, but then again most of us are not pros

What they're doing is establishing a feeling of a particular type of swing, because they are intending to work the ball on most of their shots. A draw swing feels quite different from a fade swing, and they are just ensuring that they can feel the correct release and create the shot shape they wish to employ. It is actually more beneficial to rehearse at a lower speed, because momentum of the club and body will not interfere with the sensations they are seeking to reproduce during the actual shot. They are sensing the swing shape by feel, then adding speed to that during the swing.

No doubt if you try the method these guys use, you will see a greater benefit from your practice swings in regards to your ball striking.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

I read an article by Faldo on the pratcie swing and he advocates something a little different. He stands behind the ball to get the right thoughts and feel for the shot he wants, but then he walks up and stands next to the ball facing his target and has a practice swing, which he says he tries to execute exactly like the swing he wants. He then steps in and hits the shot. According to him, you have about 7 seconds of muscle memory to hit the shot after the practice swing, so using his method you need to get in there and hit pretty quick.

Now I don't like Faldo and would love to put one right on his chin if I met just for being such a stiff upper lip pommy tosser, but when it comes to golf it's hard to argue with a 6 major winner. He says if you are going to have a practice swing you nedd to do everything exactly like the real thing, which makes sense. Watching choppers make 3 or 4 practice swings back to back doesn't replicate the real shot and are a waste of time. But properly rehearsing the shot, including the feeling you want for a draw or fade etc, makes alot of sense as it removes any doubts about the shot and lets you step in and hit with a clear mind. I also agree with him that once you have completed your practice swing the sooner you get in there and hit the shot the better. I've always thought that the longer you wait to pull the trigger the more doubts enter your mind.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I like Faldo, although I'm probably a bit of an Anglophile and like most of the British golf commentators. (I never understood that word, by the way. Why the extra syllable? What's wrong with just "commenter?"

Anyway, I usually just practice the post impact half of the swing at about half-speed. It probably accomplishes nothing but it's an identifiable signature if nothing else.

I think the reason the pros are so far behind the ball is because they are more target focused, while the avg. guy is more ball focused. Nicklaus believed that secret to golf was good visualization. In his book, he stressed the importance of previewing the shot in your mind like a small movie clip. He would visualize the curve, trajectory, and even how the ball would react when it landed. While the pros are visualizing, they are doing what FON wrote about (getting a feel for the impact and staying tension free)....I always try to tell myself before a round to visualize every shot and putt, but its hard to stay that focused (sometimes I can't get a good visualization even when I make an effort)...Its hard to pull off the perfect shot if you can't visualize exactly what that shot should look like (kind of like trying to make a long putt when you can't tell which way the green is breaking).
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

I try to visualize the shot I want, then get my grip, alignment, and stance, then one practice swing. My pro encouraged me to try to replicate the swing I intend to perform; a dress rehearsal. Then I try to hit the same practice shot while letting the ball get in the way of the real shot.
    The only time I'll do multiple practice swings is if I didn't get the plane of contact right the first time; too fat or thin.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I rarely take a full practice swing and if I do it's only with the driver. That's just how I roll.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Looper

I like to watch and imitate Davis Love III, who swings it out over the ball and then rhythmically back -- the idea to feel the clubhead and promote the SWING idea of any sort of "hit" feeling. Another good practice swing is to shut your eyes-- to feel the NOTHING WITH HANDS that is ideal. Good golfers have discovered that ANYTHING they do with hands before impact is disaster. When we can't see the ball, we do it right.

I also like to make a few practice swings horizontally--like baseball. Exaggerate the weight shift and huge shoulder turn-- get my front shoulder FAR under my chin. One of the worst mistakes amateurs make is "hoisting," wherein our shoulders stop turning back--while our arms disconnect from our torso and continue. That puts the club FAR too steep and OTT downswing is almost inevitable.

The practice swing should be a rehearsal-- and for me, to memorize what I want to do in the real thing.

Larry

I like to do 50 pushups before everyshot.

Then I take about 8-9 "practice" shots. If one of them is pretty good I just use that one.
    "Golf is such an easy game, even a human can do it."
    -Dr. Zaius-

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMcG

Then I take about 8-9 "practice" shots. If one of them is pretty good I just use that one.
    Only 50 pushups??!!

You are never going to be able to develop adequate arm strength unless you increase to at LEAST 75/shot. I had just ASSUMED that everybody else did at least 75 before each shot......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I hit a small bucket of balls before every shot. Gotta groove that swing. Most amateurs don't do this and that is their biggest fault. The pros and I have so much to teach you bunch of inferior hack choppers. My wisdom is quite awe inspiring.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Only 50 pushups??!!

You are never going to be able to develop adequate arm strength unless you increase to at LEAST 75/shot. I had just ASSUMED that everybody else did at least 75 before each shot......
    Well, I only do 50 because I like to save my energy to rub one out after every hole. If the cart girl is cute sometimes more.
    "Golf is such an easy game, even a human can do it."
    -Dr. Zaius-

Well, I only do 50 because I like to save my energy to rub one out after every hole. If the cart girl is cute sometimes more.

The real question is - does your pre-"shot" routine actually give you better control of the "club" and improve your execution?

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

I think the choppers who take twenty practice swings, complete with enormormous divots (which they usually don't bother filling), may be on to something. Apart from grooving that feel they want for the real shot, they also make it more difficult for following groups to find a part of undestroyed grass to hit from.

Maybe this cold form part of a 'strokeplay strategies' thread which GR is sadly lacking. BPC covered matchplay scenarios, but as we know strokeplay is a different game entirely and as such has a different set of strategies.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I think the choppers who take twenty practice swings, complete with enormormous divots (which they usually don't bother filling), may be on to something. Apart from grooving that feel they want for the real shot, they also make it more difficult for following groups to find a part of undestroyed grass to hit from.

Maybe this cold form part of a 'strokeplay strategies' thread which GR is sadly lacking. BPC covered matchplay scenarios, but as we know strokeplay is a different game entirely and as such has a different set of strategies.

I've had to ditch my shot routine for this very reason. I have developed a new swing since I purchased my MP52s 4 months ago that requires a more downward swing which means I take a divot. I already carry the sand bottles in my cart to fill in the divots, so the last thing I want to do is chop up my course with practice divots. I've developed a practice of taking a couple of baseball swings to concentrate on the turn needed, then I set up and take my actual swing. I don't take up a lot of time with pre-swing shite.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Hopefully on your fingertips to build the 'necessary' forearm strength to rip through the ball taking a 1 foot divot on your follow through.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I read an article by Faldo on the pratcie swing and he advocates something a little different. According to him, you have about 7 seconds of muscle memory to hit the shot after the practice swing, so using his method you need to get in there and hit pretty quick.
    7 seconds huh?

Damn I've been taking 8 seconds. No wonder my ball striking has been such shite. By the time I swing I've completely forgotten what I was trying to do.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    7 seconds huh?

Damn I've been taking 8 seconds. No wonder my ball striking has been such shite. By the time I swing I've completely forgotten what I was trying to do.
    You could try being a pretentious phony. That also seemed to work for Faldo.
    GR lives...

Frank the Tiger headcover to Charles Barkley:

"What part of that swing is worth practicing?"

If you're a GR poster, the comment probably applies.
    Best to remember it and just play.

I normally stand behind, visualize the shot, take some really small swings and try to "feel" what I want to hit. If I'm thinking "anything but left" I "feel" that swing. If I'm thinking "cut" I try to feel that swing. Much like pros do on TV. I agree with the 7 seconds thing or you lose it. Once I feel it I'm over the ball and put a stroke on it otherwise I lose it.

I don't like to take practice swings on a "stock" shot and I haven't done it for years. Why bother? It's not like you can make the same swing, unless you are one of those d-bags who takes divots on practice swings, and there appear to be plenty judging by the divots left all over the place. Even without the divot argument, what happens when you make a bad swing, starting over? Losing confidence for the shot? Waste of time, and a clear indicator of a chopper. Not that there's anything wrong with being a chopper, just don't fool yourself into thinking those stock shot practice swings are doing anything for you. Next round, play 9 holes without taking your worthless practice swing and see what you shoot.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I read an instruction article in a golf mag in Oz where the pro said taking practice swings is like swatting flies. A waste of time and energy. He advocated deiding what shot you want to hit, trying to get a feel for the type of swing you need, then getting in there and hitting the ball. I'm toying with the idea of removing the practice swing from next to the ball as I've always thought of it being the calling card of the chopper. Nothing says chopper more than a perfect practice swing with fine form finishing with all your weight balanced over a firm left side, followed by a hands and arms swipe that leaves a crater 2 inches behind the ball. I'mk thinking of taking the miniswings from behind the ball while visualising the shot, then getting in there without a practice swing.

I read an instruction article in a golf mag in Oz where the pro said taking practice swings is like swatting flies. A waste of time and energy. He advocated deiding what shot you want to hit, trying to get a feel for the type of swing you need, then getting in there and hitting the ball. I'm toying with the idea of removing the practice swing from next to the ball as I've always thought of it being the calling card of the chopper. Nothing says chopper more than a perfect practice swing with fine form finishing with all your weight balanced over a firm left side, followed by a hands and arms swipe that leaves a crater 2 inches behind the ball. I'mk thinking of taking the miniswings from behind the ball while visualising the shot, then getting in there without a practice swing.
    I suppose there is a world of difference between a "rehearsal" swing and just careless practice swings. EVERY sports (and music) skill is learned by rehearsal-- first in slow motion, and then increasingly fast until you can perform at tempo.

I KNOW that I can make a rehearsal swing and then immediately recreate that same sequence of movements. I regularly do that on the course--and it works! I see touring pros doing that before they hit the ball. Davis Love III famously swings his club out over the ball and then back smoothly into his backswing-- to get the feeling of "swing" and reduce the handsy "hit" that can ruin a golf swing. Good players swing smoothly with eyes shut--same rationale.

Much can be learned from a rehearsal swing-- if you carefully observe the path of the clubhead through the grass-- We should be able to strike the ground (or clip the grass) several inches in front of the ball position--the clubhead going DOWN as it goes through the ball. That requires the correct weight shift BEFORE the downswing, "turn, PLANT, swing" to replay the teaching of Shawn Clement.

I like to rehearse the swing horizontally like baseball-- to exaggerate the weight shift while coiled--and to rehearse a full connected turn. I stand upright and lift my arms to extend the club in front of my chest, the butt pointing at my core--and then turn everything together. I rehease turning until my shoulder passes under my chin--and even further--

Get it right, then bend over and make that same pivot turn--and hit that sucker out of sight!

If you play with someone who doesn't rehearse his swing, offer a sizeable bet!

Larry

Davis Love the terd is a washed up hack. Why use him as an example?

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    I suppose there is a world of difference between a "rehearsal" swing and just careless practice swings. EVERY sports (and music) skill is learned by rehearsal-- first in slow motion, and then increasingly fast until you can perform at tempo.

I KNOW that I can make a rehearsal swing and then immediately recreate that same sequence of movements. I regularly do that on the course--and it works! I see touring pros doing that before they hit the ball. Davis Love III famously swings his club out over the ball and then back smoothly into his backswing-- to get the feeling of "swing" and reduce the handsy "hit" that can ruin a golf swing. Good players swing smoothly with eyes shut--same rationale.

Much can be learned from a rehearsal swing-- if you carefully observe the path of the clubhead through the grass-- We should be able to strike the ground (or clip the grass) several inches in front of the ball position--the clubhead going DOWN as it goes through the ball. That requires the correct weight shift BEFORE the downswing, "turn, PLANT, swing" to replay the teaching of Shawn Clement.

I like to rehearse the swing horizontally like baseball-- to exaggerate the weight shift while coiled--and to rehearse a full connected turn. I stand upright and lift my arms to extend the club in front of my chest, the butt pointing at my core--and then turn everything together. I rehease turning until my shoulder passes under my chin--and even further--

Get it right, then bend over and make that same pivot turn--and hit that sucker out of sight!

If you play with someone who doesn't rehearse his swing, offer a sizeable bet!

Larry
    Try NOT taking a rehearsal swing for nine holes and see if it makes one lick of difference. You may be surprised at the results. I don't do it, even for competitions, and I can honestly say that I play better, faster and more confidently without that practice swing.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    Get it right, then bend over
    Larry
    I just got it right, but I think you should do the bending over.

Boy am I ever freaking slow. All this time you've sounded like an informercial and I finally realized why. You're here promoting your training aid.

Your intention is to sell your merchandise via this site without having to pay. That's where all the pontifiicating is coming from.

Come on Larry. Admit it. That's why you're here.

We're waiting for your admission and apology.
    GR lives...

Thread Information