|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Where do you put the rake?

I think I picked up a new pet peeve. On my 14th hole I hit into the left greenside trap, but should have had a very routine up and down chance. When I arrived at the trap, a previous golfer had raked the trap, but then threw the rake into the trap in the middle of the downslope into it. So, instead of my ball rolling to the bottom of the trap like it should have, it lodged against the rake on that downslope and dug in a bit, leaving me to deal with a difficult stance with the ball maybe 8 inches above my feet. I barely gouged it out.... double bogey ensued.

I always leave the rake outside the trap after raking - am I wrong to think this is the correct etiquette, or do you also place the rake within the confines of the traps?

Thanks

I always tuck it into the edge of the bunker that is toward the fairway, down below grass level but not where an incoming ball would hit it.. if I can't get it tucked like that, I put it on the side of bunker farthest from green.. in bunker or out, it should be farther away from your actual target.. nothing worse than a GOOD shot wrecked by hitting a rake..
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    i put it just outside the bunker away from the angle a ball would typically enter the bunker. it doesn't surprise me that a chop would leave one in the bunker though.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Hi

I hide it in the rough on its back so some chopper will stand on it whilst looking for his ball and it will knock his teeth out.

Your welcome

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Some courses tell you to leave the rakes in the bunkers. Not the exclusive SPCC, but I've seen at some nicer resort courses and was a bit surprised.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

that's a good idea edgey, there aren't many golfers in arkansas that still have their teeth, but it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    that's a good idea edgey, there aren't many golfers in arkansas that still have their teeth, but it's worth a shot.
    Hi

Poor dental hygiene or rake abuse??

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Hi

Poor dental hygiene or rake abuse??

Edgey

Mostly a genetic flaw from years of inbreeding . . . .

My solution in avoiding rake problems is to not hit it into the bunker. Problem solved.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Mostly a genetic flaw from years of inbreeding . . . .

My solution in avoiding rake problems is to not hit it into the bunker. Problem solved.
    Your short-knocking Thragina ensures you'll always be short of the fairway bunkers.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Your short-knocking Thragina ensures you'll always be short of the fairway bunkers.
    ............and all the people said..................ZING!!

I don't hit the ball in the sand.

It's suppose to go on the green, FOOLS.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Not short, just STRAIGHT. Hence not in sand........... ZING

Edgey

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    I don't hit the ball in the sand.

It's suppose to go on the green, FOOLS.
    canada doesn't have sand eh, it's called snow.

canada doesn't have sand eh, it's called snow.
    What's snow?

I dont know what you're talking about.

I live in Vietnam.

i said SNOW, not TANNING BED.

i said SNOW, not TANNING BED.
    LOL. Those things will kill you.

Don't jynx it, looking out the window I see lots of grass.

I could probably open up my driving range and take a few swings.

IN THE BUNKERS OF COURSE.

Good golfers dont hit it into bunkers, choppers wont play any better from the sand with a poor lie or with a perfect lie.

Omen, Thread Closed.

GA how's your range? does it still have a house encroaching in on it.
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

What's snow?

I live in Vietnam.
    OK... show us YOUR picture on a golf course in Vietnam

Good golfers will often use bunkers as a bailout on a hard approach. Only choppers fear bunkers. (unless they are muni course bunkers, than everyone fears them due to the inconsistent conditions.)

If it is not stated on the rake or in the course rules I put the rake back where it was. If your a little observant you will notice that most of the rakes are placed in the same manor around the course. This is the way the first group out had to play the course and it should be the same condition for the final group.

If it was my choice I would put the head of the rake in the bunker with the handle on the edge and nearly parallel to the edge of the bunker so I won't trap the ball against the handle or the head of the rake. I usually put it on the fairway side of the bunker.

Each course should have it's own policy on where to put the rake. Sometimes in, sometimes out, sometimes the rake head in and the handle sticking out. Maybe the last one was Camp Freddy's idea. Although if you see someone not rake a bunker, the proper place for the rake is handle in, rakehead sticking out of their a.ss.

Edgey's approach is exclusive to the UK because knocking out someone's teeth over there is performing a public service.

If you really want to know where to put the rake, ask when you arrive at the course.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    IN THE BUNKERS OF COURSE.

Good golfers dont hit it into bunkers, choppers wont play any better from the sand with a poor lie or with a perfect lie.

Omen, Thread Closed.

GA how's your range? does it still have a house encroaching in on it.
    It's doing aight, holdin the house off just on the edge of the property line.

It will be open for operation once we hit + ºC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    OK... show us YOUR picture on a golf course in Vietnam

No. Pedophile.

As far as I was concerned, I've always thought correct etiquette for placing rakes was to place them in the middle of the bunker, facng the direction of the hole (or as close to the middle as possible from the edge of the bunker). By facing the direction of the hole I don't mean pointing at the actual flagstick, I mean the general direction of the entire hole. This makes sense as it minimises the chance of hitting the rake, and if it does hit the rake it still should come to rest somewhere in the middle of the bunker.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    As far as I was concerned, I've always thought correct etiquette for placing rakes was to place them in the middle of the bunker, facng the direction of the hole (or as close to the middle as possible from the edge of the bunker). By facing the direction of the hole I don't mean pointing at the actual flagstick, I mean the general direction of the entire hole. This makes sense as it minimises the chance of hitting the rake, and if it does hit the rake it still should come to rest somewhere in the middle of the bunker.
    This is the correct etiquette and mostly common knoweldge amongst club golfers here in aussieland.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I have never seen it done like that before. Seems like it would be a lot of extra raking inorder to cover the tracks to get to the rake. Although, having the rake in the middle sounds like a good idea for tournaments.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    I have never seen it done like that before. Seems like it would be a lot of extra raking inorder to cover the tracks to get to the rake. Although, having the rake in the middle sounds like a good idea for tournaments.
    I've rarely seen it done like that either. Just because it's supposed to be done that way doesn't mean it happens. Most choppers just throw it anywhere after they step outof the bunker (assuming they bothered raking in the first place). In bigger events where yo only have low handicappers you are more likely to find it in the middle as low cappers have a bit more consideration for fellow golfers than high handicap POS hackers.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

i put it just outside the bunker away from the angle a ball would typically enter the bunker. it doesn't surprise me that a chop would leave one in the bunker though.
    sure.. makes sense you'd hide the rake on the grass... you must be balls down in the kitty litter on a fairly regular basis..

I"m thinking of burying the rakes a foot deep in the bunker.. after all, I have a bag full of shovels.. easy work. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS

Beggin yer pardon, Mr son of cousins, but if you DON'T hit it in the bunker, you'll hit the rakes where yousaid you DO stash them. If I were you (my parents would be cousins) I'd hit it IN the bunker to avoid the rakes you left on the grass.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Each course should have it's own policy on where to put the rake. Sometimes in, sometimes out, sometimes the rake head in and the handle sticking out. Maybe the last one was Camp Freddy's idea. Although if you see someone not rake a bunker, the proper place for the rake is handle in, rakehead sticking out of their a.ss.

Edgey's approach is exclusive to the UK because knocking out someone's teeth over there is performing a public service.

If you really want to know where to put the rake, ask when you arrive at the course.
    shame really.. knock a Pommie Bassterd's teeth out and its 18 months standing in line outside the dentists.. raise a pint to National Health! coming soon to an America near you...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Good golfers will often use bunkers as a bailout on a hard approach. Only choppers fear bunkers.
    I was caddying locally (west Texas) back when it was called the Hogan tour, 1993 or so, and my home course had some short par 5,s all under 530.. everybody in every group I was in was hitting the second ball into the bunkers on purpose.. high winds and water made them aim for the greenside bunkers to trap and stop the ball, then they got up and down more than half the time for bird.. remembered the lesson last month, bailed out of a second shot into 18 to greenside bunker, got up and down birdie finish..
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I unfortunately had the misfortune of placing several rakes back in bunkers on the weekend. Although I really don't see the need for rakes in some of the 'bunkers' I found myself in. It would be more appropriate to just place a brrom in their so you could sweep the dust aroiund your prints and leave the rock hard earth you are supposed to hit from.

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    I was caddying locally (west Texas) back when it was called the Hogan tour, 1993 or so, and my home course had some short par 5,s all under 530.. everybody in every group I was in was hitting the second ball into the bunkers on purpose.. high winds and water made them aim for the greenside bunkers to trap and stop the ball, then they got up and down more than half the time for bird.. remembered the lesson last month, bailed out of a second shot into 18 to greenside bunker, got up and down birdie finish..

The professional golfers essentially do the same thing according to experts. Instead of trying to avoid the bunkers at all costs, they will actually consider the bunkers the "safe miss" areas. I heard one guy say one time, that if they would quit raking the bunkers after hitting out of them, they could start calling these areas "hazards" again.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Sooner and Dave,

I'd like to see anyhone have any confidence of getting up and down if they played out of bunkers like the ones we've got. We don't have many bunkers, 12 in all for our 9 holes, but I can assure you no two bunkers are even remotely similar in terms of type of sand, texture, hardness, depth of sand, or being raked. They are to be avoided at all costs.

I think it was Peter Thompson who is a big opponent of rakes in bunkers. I tend to agree with him. As long as they reduced the number of bunkers and placed them strategically so they only punished crap shots, I would have no problem in leaving them unraked, providing the option of taking relief with one shot penalty like in any other hazard was an option.

Actually just on that point, why is is that if you hit into a bunker under the lip and are absolutely dead your only alternative option to trying to chop it out is to take an uplayable lie, which means either going back to your previous shot or dropping somewhere else in the bunker, but in any other hazard you get the chance to take a drop from point of entry out of the hazard. It seems a bit contradictory and unfair that you can't take a penalty drop out of the bunker on point of entry like in other hazards.

Although I already had a few similar substitutes, I just got a genuine 59° Lovett Tour Standard just like Edgie's--in a used club bucket for $20.00.

It will cost a lot more once I get the generic graphite shaft replaced with an Aldila NV Pro 105 to match all my other irons and wedges,

Question: what is the successful recovery rate of removing a quality graphite shaft from an existing club without breaking it? I can get the work done gratis with the business I've brought my proshop. They wouldn't have the balls to charge me for a small favor like that.

Get in to the bunker, strike the ball and get out. Do not bother about the rake. That's how to compete in monthly medal. I don't see you'll be penalize for not raking the sand. Besides, the flight behind will appreciate your fast play.

Hell I don't even bother putting the flag back in the hole. I just put it across the front of the green.

I also don't get why people wait for the green to clear on long par 5's. If you hit into them with a long iron or wood your assured the ball will have a better chance of landing soft if it hits on of them. Much better than the hard green. If they knock it off the green you get to place it back per the rules. (Seriously, last year I watched PM hit a draw 3 wood into the green as the keepers were blowing the needles off of it. I'm sure he took it as an advantage to hit into them thinking if it came in hot it would have a chance of hitting one of them. These are the things you learn from the pro's when you really pay attention and don't listen to miller.)

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    Although I already had a few similar substitutes, I just got a genuine 59° Lovett Tour Standard just like Edgie's--in a used club bucket for $20.00.
    Yeah, I got screwed a few times like that until I learned the true value of a club.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Thread Information