|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: New Golfer

New Golfer

Hey folks, I'm relatively new to the game (hacked my way through 4 rounds and have been to the range about 10 times). I don't seem to slice so much as push the ball to the right with my irons, but have a horrible slice with my driver (Ping G5 10.5 loft) I plan on taking some lessons in the coming weeks as I believe practice makes perfect and there's no substitution to hard work.

I've read over the "which irons for a high handicapper" thread and can appreciate the 2 very distinct points of view in regards to CB, GI, SGI, blades, etc. I understand both sides of the argument clearly, but am looking at a set of GI clubs to replace the ones I have. (Strike Kings that I purchased from a former co-worker).

I haven't been fitted for clubs, but plan on doing so to ensure a proper fit. Again, I get the blade vs "shovel" arguments and am looking for some middle ground. What are your thoughts on PING G5's as an intro set? They're relatively affordable at $400 for a fitted set imho, and would hopefully provide the feedback needed to improve my game through practice while still providing some sort of positive reinforcement during practice.

Thoughts?

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    there's no benefit in getting fitted for cast POS paddles mass-produced in a chinese sweatshop if you're looking to get somewhat serious about your game. you're wasting your time & money. get a blade 5i off of ebay and beat about 1000 balls with it and assess your ball striking. if you get to where you can strike the ball with relative consistency, find some forged player's cavities. play those for a while and if you get to a point where you can control your ball at will, move to some blades. it's that simple.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by bk9824
    Hey folks, I'm relatively new to the game (hacked my way through 4 rounds and have been to the range about 10 times). I don't seem to slice so much as push the ball to the right with my irons, but have a horrible slice with my driver (Ping G5 10.5 loft) I plan on taking some lessons in the coming weeks as I believe practice makes perfect and there's no substitution to hard work.

I've read over the "which irons for a high handicapper" thread and can appreciate the 2 very distinct points of view in regards to CB, GI, SGI, blades, etc. I understand both sides of the argument clearly, but am looking at a set of GI clubs to replace the ones I have. (Strike Kings that I purchased from a former co-worker).

I haven't been fitted for clubs, but plan on doing so to ensure a proper fit. Again, I get the blade vs "shovel" arguments and am looking for some middle ground. What are your thoughts on PING G5's as an intro set? They're relatively affordable at $400 for a fitted set imho, and would hopefully provide the feedback needed to improve my game through practice while still providing some sort of positive reinforcement during practice.

Thoughts?
    G5s may be not bad as an intro set but they are not particularly the "middle" ground. They are pretty much full gi or shovels. This is evidenced by a big offset, oversize head and very wide sole. I would tend towards something which will promote developing a good swing and will not mask flaws so much, will still be forgiving, and possibly give more feedback. Even if you look at the i5s instead of the g5s may be a good idea. In reality as you may have gathered from your reading, club head design is not as important as being correctly fitted for shafts and lie angle etc. My advice, which is just my prejudice, is not to learn with a club head with a large amount of offset.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

As someone who went through a very similar experience about 2 years ao I would say go the i5's, I did and I love them. They are plenty forgiving and aren't so big and garish as the g5's. And to bjdrivers, Pings are made in the US, the drivers now get made in China etc but my i5's are 100% US made, one big plus when I got mine fitted and sent to me in Oz, it cost me but I don't regret a cent. I bet half that Titleist gear in your bag was banged together by some slave worker in asia so get off the highhorse. If CB's are so **** and blades so amazing why do most pros now go a players cavity...and where was your name in the lastest order of merit in the US, Europe, Asia...

A few of my old Navy buds bought the Cobra FP irons and really liked them. They are not quite an SGI but there is a lot of help there on less than pure strikes. The bottom line is to find the clubs that suit your eye and wallet.

[Originally Posted by bk9824
    Hey folks, I'm relatively new to the game (hacked my way through 4 rounds and have been to the range about 10 times). I don't seem to slice so much as push the ball to the right with my irons, but have a horrible slice with my driver (Ping G5 10.5 loft) I plan on taking some lessons in the coming weeks as I believe practice makes perfect and there's no substitution to hard work.]

bk: first welcome to the game of frustration and enjoyment at the same time
    Unless you are gifted, as a starter I would go with cavity back irons, Never played with Ping G5 but heard good things about that set. Don't let those guys suck you in the "blade" thing, it's just ego maniac IMO... Yes, lots of pros play CB's... Your goal should be "consistency, consistency, consistency"... Lots of guys here in GR talked about "working the ball" ... WTF... how often do we need to use it, don't give me that shìttte, Just like those guys in 20s handicap and love to play from the blue Ts, what the hell is it? if you can't drive 250 yds then why blue Ts and torture yourself ... and more importantly holding up the group behind you...

OK, I just vented it out... Go buy yourself a set of G5, X-16, X-18, X-20 etc... and enjoy the game

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    there's no benefit in getting fitted for cast POS paddles mass-produced in a chinese sweatshop if you're looking to get somewhat serious about your game. .
    No, definitely not. Get a set of blades that have been mass produced in a Chinese sweatshop. You'll feel much more of a sense of moral superiority......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

there's no benefit in getting fitted for cast POS paddles mass-produced in a chinese sweatshop if you're looking to get somewhat serious about your game. you're wasting your time & money. get a blade 5i off of ebay and beat about 1000 balls with it and assess your ball striking. if you get to where you can strike the ball with relative consistency, find some forged player's cavities. play those for a while and if you get to a point where you can control your ball at will, move to some blades. it's that simple.
    I beg to differ.................Ping has got the most thorogh fitting system on the planet and probably the best GI irons on the market followed by callaway . I myself own a set of I3 blades as a backup set and love them. I can honestly say Blowjobdrivestoyou that if you used a set of fitted pings you would have a better score on your card. I do agree that beginners IMO should start out with some blades so they get the concept of ballstriking down and learn how it feels to hit down on the ball. All people should start with blades and graduate to some Gi irons . Speaking of sweatshops .......you do know that GFFs are also mass produced in Japenese sweat shops aswell.
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

I would not spend $400 on a set of irons at this stage of the game. You can buy excellent game improvement irons from a few years back for under $200. Cleveland Launchers, Ping Zings, Cobra 3400s, etc. They are just as good as G5s for half the price. Chances are a year from now, if you practice and learn this game, you will want something else. DO NOT start out with clubs that are hard to hit. If you are a beginner, you will hit plenty of bad shots with game improvement irons. Why make this gave more difficult than it already is? Don't buy into thie "shovel" argument. Plenty of tour pros play game improvement designs. Also, getting custom fitted is fruitless as you don't have a swing yet to be fitted. If you are between 5-10 and 6-2, standard length clubs should work for you. Unless you have really big hands, standard grips will work (a lot of people think larger grips feel better, but they will promote a slice). Start with regular flex steel shafts.

For your woods, get a high lofted driver (12 degrees or so) a 5 wood and either a 7 wood or a hybrid around 24 degrees. These could be in regular graphite. You can get great models from about 3 years ago with all 3 costing you about $150.

Having said all of this, if you want to learn with hard to hit clubs, buy a set of Wilson Staff irons from the 70's ($100 or less on Ebay). Make sure you get a 1 iron. Also, get old persimmon woods (Tiatanium drivers are way too easy to hit for a purist). Just a driver and 3 wood is fine, since you will be trying to hit your 1 or 2 iron any time you are inside 220 yards. Get them regripped and go for it.

Thanks for the responses guys. I don't think I'll be going the uber hard to hit clubs to start out with. I don't have a ton of time to practice with my schedule and I'm taking up the game as a hobby.

I'll keep ya updated on lessons, etc and we shall see what happens.

Thanks again for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by ProStatus
    I can honestly say Blowjobdrivestoyou that if you used a set of fitted pings you would have a better score on your card.
    i agree, but only if i was custom fit by some baffoon at golfgalaxy that couldn't break 100 if he was scrambling with tiger woods.

Thoughts?
    Welcome to GR BK and welcome to the great game of golf.

Ignore all the technical psychobabble (blades v cavity backs) etc from our 'seasoned' veterans.

The Ping G5's are great irons and would be perfect for you starting out. I know many lower handicap players that play with G2's, G5's and G10's.

Demo them and if you like them go ahead and get them.

Cheers
    Kiwi
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

i agree, but only if i was custom fit by some baffoon at golfgalaxy that couldn't break 100 if he was scrambling with tiger woods.
    LMAO............you crack me up. Anyways I never have shot a 100 a day in my golfing career. Let alone a frikin 90, I have had rounds close to 90 before but , If I have a bad day I deffinetly would shoot an 85 and still take your money for the on course lesson I gave you BJ
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Quote Originally Posted by martymoo96
    As someone who went through a very similar experience about 2 years ao I would say go the i5's, I did and I love them. They are plenty forgiving and aren't so big and garish as the g5's. And to bjdrivers, Pings are made in the US, the drivers now get made in China etc but my i5's are 100% US made, one big plus when I got mine fitted and sent to me in Oz, it cost me but I don't regret a cent. I bet half that Titleist gear in your bag was banged together by some slave worker in asia so get off the highhorse. If CB's are so **** and blades so amazing why do most pros now go a players cavity...and where was your name in the lastest order of merit in the US, Europe, Asia...
    Oh he was there Martymoo. BJ's real name is Kenny Perry.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Martymoo,

Your I5's were made in the US but Ping has moved their headmaking facilities off shore to China. I saw a set of S57's and they had as sticker that said 'manufctured in China' on the heads. Ping are now definitely cast CB POS SGI hacker paddles made by trained monkeys in a Chinese sweat shop. The fact of the matter is ALL cast clubheads and nearly all OEM forged heads are now made in China, so if you are in the market for a new set of shovels, you may as well get a knock off set and have them fitted for less than a quarter the price. They look very similar to the OEM clubs, and are the exact same quality.

There are only two places yu can get quality, non sweat shop built clubs these days. Boutique forging houses in Japan (at a big cost) and Ebay.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I beg to differ.................Ping has got the most thorogh fitting system on the planet and probably the best GI irons on the market followed by callaway . I myself own a set of I3 blades as a backup set and love them. I can honestly say Blowjobdrivestoyou that if you used a set of fitted pings you would have a better score on your card. I do agree that beginners IMO should start out with some blades so they get the concept of ballstriking down and learn how it feels to hit down on the ball. All people should start with blades and graduate to some Gi irons . Speaking of sweatshops .......you do know that GFFs are also mass produced in Japenese sweat shops aswell.

I'm not BJ, but this is bullshite! I started out the POS GI shovel route and never decreased my score like I did with the CB players clubs in the Mizuno 52s. I played the Cally x-18s and whenever I went to have a custom set made for me on my next set, the pro shop guy said the Nickent 3dx Pro irons were a player's cavity back. Not knowing much about the difference, I bought them and they were just like the freaking X-18s -- POS shovels. Then I bought the Taylormade R7s which someone told me would be like player's CB -- that was bullshite. I played PING i3s for 3 rounds and they were shovels.

It wasn't until I bought and played my custom set of MP-52s that I could tell the difference. The 52s had drastically less offset and a much thinner sole than the shovels I had tried and played with for years. I had to adjust my swing in order to hit the irons flush, which for me meant to come down on the ball with a more descending swing and take more of a divot, but whenever I did, magic happened! And, it's continuing to happen. I'm looking forward to trying out the MP-67s and MP-33s this week.

bk9824, if you feel like you have to be a sheep and follow all your buddies into playing OEM irons, at least start with a set of PING i10s. They are less offset, smaller head design, but will still have plenty of forgiveness for you (of course, nothing is as forgiving as a good swing.) I tried the i10s out and was thinking of purchasing them until I tested the MP-52s. GFF was just too good of a feeling for me to want to go second rate and buy cast.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Martymoo,

Your I5's were made in the US but Ping has moved their headmaking facilities off shore to China. I saw a set of S57's and they had as sticker that said 'manufctured in China' on the heads. Ping are now definitely cast CB POS SGI hacker paddles made by trained monkeys in a Chinese sweat shop. The fact of the matter is ALL cast clubheads and nearly all OEM forged heads are now made in China, so if you are in the market for a new set of shovels, you may as well get a knock off set and have them fitted for less than a quarter the price. They look very similar to the OEM clubs, and are the exact same quality.

There are only two places yu can get quality, non sweat shop built clubs these days. Boutique forging houses in Japan (at a big cost) and Ebay.

Did you throw up whenever you saw them?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I'm not BJ, but this is bullshite! I started out the POS GI shovel route and never decreased my score like I did with the CB players clubs in the Mizuno 52s. I played the Cally x-18s and whenever I went to have a custom set made for me on my next set, the pro shop guy said the Nickent 3dx Pro irons were a player's cavity back. Not knowing much about the difference, I bought them and they were just like the freaking X-18s -- POS shovels. Then I bought the Taylormade R7s which someone told me would be like player's CB -- that was bullshite. I played PING i3s for 3 rounds and they were shovels.

It wasn't until I bought and played my custom set of MP-52s that I could tell the difference. The 52s had drastically less offset and a much thinner sole than the shovels I had tried and played with for years. I had to adjust my swing in order to hit the irons flush, which for me meant to come down on the ball with a more descending swing and take more of a divot, but whenever I did, magic happened! And, it's continuing to happen. I'm looking forward to trying out the MP-67s and MP-33s this week.

bk9824, if you feel like you have to be a sheep and follow all your buddies into playing OEM irons, at least start with a set of PING i10s. They are less offset, smaller head design, but will still have plenty of forgiveness for you (of course, nothing is as forgiving as a good swing.) I tried the i10s out and was thinking of purchasing them until I tested the MP-52s. GFF was just too good of a feeling for me to want to go second rate and buy cast.
    Hey bro dont get me wrong .............Im GFF all day with my mp-14s . Im saying that ping is not a bad start For Gi and that if I had to use shovels its gonna be ping I3 blades. And By the way are made in Mexico, witch ...............lol.... might aswell be part of the US. Im just sayin
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Hey bro dont get me wrong .............Im GFF all day with my mp-14s . Im saying that ping is not a bad start For Gi and that if I had to use shovels its gonna be ping I3 blades. And By the way are made in Mexico, witch ...............lol.... might aswell be part of the US. Im just sayin

Sorry... what does GFF stand for?

Hey Sooner,

Did the MP52's drop 4 strokes off your cap?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Sorry... what does GFF stand for?
    Grain Flow Forged.
    This is Mizuno's patented forging process which produces quality forgings, but naming it GFF and saying it is superior to all other forgings is a marketing ploy.
    All high end forging ie. Endo, Miura, and many others are as good or better.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Hey Sooner,

Did the MP52's drop 4 strokes off your cap?

Why, yes, they did as a matter of fact . . . . . thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Why, yes, they did as a matter of fact . . . . . thanks for asking.
    so sooner went from a 25 to a 21 cap. like dorkman said, it's easy to knock off when you're a high capper, but wait till you get to single digits buddy!

so sooner went from a 25 to a 21 cap. like dorkman said, it's easy to knock off when you're a high capper, but wait till you get to single digits buddy!
    BJ, get off the computer and go to work, your customers are calling you . . . . .

haha i am at work. it's a rough life.

Thread Information