|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Another serious question about irons....

I'm currently gaming a set of Mizuno MP-32 irons with NSPro GH 950. Bought it new about 10 months ago. Bought it after buying a 1-piece 6-iron initially for driving range purposes only, i.e., to sharpen my ball-striking. Was pleasantly surprised how relatively easy it was to hit, so to cut a long story short, I ended up buying a whole set soon thereafter.

Over the weekend, I chanced upon a brand new 1-piece 6-iron -- this time an MP-37 with a DG R300 shaft. With the same idea in mind, I bought it for DR/training purposes only. Well what do you know? Again, it was pleasant to hit, particularly when you hit it pure. I thought I'd lose some distance (I hit my MP-32 6-iron to about 145 yards using the beat up DR balls), but as it turns out, I didn't lose yards. In fact, not a few times, I could even reach the 150 yard marker. I thought given the shaft I would need to seriously thump the ball; but it turns out a smooth swing will get the ball airborne just as easily. The MP-37s were also very maneauverable; it generally flies to where I aim it, with a touch of a slight draw (I tend to push my MP-32s). By exerting more effort, I was intentionally hitting pronounced draws and fades with it -- something i find challenging with my MP-32s.

What was more curious for the me with the MP-37 w/ the DG shafts is the sensation of feeling the club throughout my swing. I've read in other forums how some prefer heavier shafts so they can feel the clubhead thorughout the swing -- but I guess my question is, is it the head (MP37 vs. MP32) or the shaft (DG R300 vs. NSPro) that is generating this new found sensation of club awareness?

It's too bad (or perhaps a blessing, if my wallet could talk!) that a new set of MP-37s these days is so hard to come by even online, otherwise I am very tempted to bag a set as a spare/DR set. :twisted: Or perhaps I may just experiment with re-shafting my 32s w/ DG reg shafts -- definitely a more economical option?

TIA for your inputs.

Read this thread through, it should help:

http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=11850
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Sooner,

What kind of differences are you seeing between the 67's and 52's? How do the DGS300's compare to your Exsar graphites....feel, distance, dispersion?
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    Sooner,

What kind of differences are you seeing between the 67's and 52's? How do the DGS300's compare to your Exsar graphites....feel, distance, dispersion?
    I still don't know yet. My replacement shafts have not arrived yet for the 67s, so I haven't been able to swap them out and play the 67s on the course yet. I'm hoping to be able to do it before Saturday though.

The S300s in the MP-33s do not feel any different or perform any different than the Exsar Pro graphite shafts. Of course, after saying that, you can get the S300s a LOT cheaper.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Thread Information