|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

What club would you chip/pitch/putt with?

You are 4 feet off the green with short fringe between you and the green. You are 50 feet from the hole with a fairly level lie. What club do you use? Hybrid? Putter? Chipper? 7 iron? 9 iron? SW? Do you try to chip with the same club and get good with it, or try to groove the same motion and vary the club, depending on how far you have to the hole? I heard Venturi say years ago that you want to always use the lowest lofted club that will get the job done, yet I see lots of pros use their sand wedge from all over the place. What do you do and why?

If the fringe was even ground and pretty closely mown I would use putter most of the time. If I wanted to carry the ball onto the green I would play an 8 iron and run it to the hole.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Most of my chipping I do with my 52* gap wedge. Where I want the shot to roll out more I use the PW or 9 iron. For a shot like that I would probably opt for the 9 iron.

I prefer to know the clubs I am using for a particular shot which is why I use 9-PW-GW for most of my chipping. I could use an 8 or 7 iron but as I don't use those clubs in this situation very often I prefer to use the clubs I am more familiar with.

I have tried the hybrid bump and run in the past but just can't judge the speed properly.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Hi

I use the niblick everytime

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

short grass: I putt with my 8-iron
    long grass : I chip with my 50* GW

I would pull the 60* out, open up the face, and then aggressively shut the face down through impact inorder to get enough roll.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

There isn't a standard for me since no two shots are alike, but I have my usual suspects. My 58 degree has less bounce that my 54 degree, so I use that for some pitches and bumps and runs. For more standard chipping with more roll, I will opt for a 9 iron or pitching wedge. For long chips, the 7 iron or 8 iron would come into play. For a really long role, I might take a 4 iron or hybrid.

Generally if I can putt the ball, that is the choice I like best. I do like the 58 degree bump & run shot too. One of the golf pros at the shop where I get most of my equipment recommends Edgey's Cleveland Niblick to a lot of customers.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

If the turf off the green was very smooth, I'd putt it. If it was rougher or longer, I'd probably do a bump and run with a club somewhere between the 7 iron to the PW, depending on how much spin I wanted to put on the ball.

Either that, or use my lob wedge and chunk it, or blade it across to the other side of the green......

"Never chip when you can putt. Never pitch when you can chip."
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I'm a nine iron guy for a long roll from a few feet off green.. 52* gap for a shorter roll.. my pitches/chips come out low unless I really REALLY work to get height.. and on this shot height is the last thing you want.. so a nice low 9 iron, won't bite on me, just a distance/feel thing..
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

yeah it really just depends on the kind of shot... the onw you described here i would say i would either use a putter or my 52*.... i used to use a PW for this type of shot but i find that the degree of bounce on my GW makes the shot even easier...

Interesting...not one sw so far

Quote Originally Posted by jamesll9
    Interesting...not one sw so far
    The 58* mention is in all respects a SW.

For me it depends how well I'm chipping that day and how fast the greeens are rolling. Most of the time I would use my Texas wedge but some days when my chipping is on and the lie was right I might hood my 58* wedge and play a low dead handed bump and run.

60º. I gotz mad skillz with my 60.

I suck ass with anything but the 60 and 56 around the greens.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

I tend to use my Lob Wedge (60') for most chips around the green however I also like to play a bump n run with my 8 iron. They are my 2 clubs that I will look to most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    I would pull the 60* out, open up the face, and then aggressively shut the face down through impact inorder to get enough roll.
    It is my 60* which will make the ball land right before the hole and check immediately. It will then be a given putt.

Probably a PW. I like to deloft those type of chips so it comes out closer to an 8 iron. That exact shot is one that I used to be pretty good at, but now don't do so well. At my course, I almost never have anything resembling a standard bump and run chip. Our greens are raised and bunkered very well with mounds all over the place.
    I'm shocked no one has mentioned the ever popular B&R with the 60...
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

ok you got it

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Probably a PW. I like to deloft those type of chips so it comes out closer to an 8 iron. That exact shot is one that I used to be pretty good at, but now don't do so well. At my course, I almost never have anything resembling a standard bump and run chip. Our greens are raised and bunkered very well with mounds all over the place.
    I'm shocked no one has mentioned the ever popular B&R with the 60...
    i use the 60 for all chips just put it farther back in my stance the lower i want it to come out but do this with a flip of your wrists and you won't like the results

HB, I think Purist was making a veiled reference to the infamous QCG bump and run with the LW in his post.

Back to topic, I would have a few choices depending on the shot.

If it was a straight shot from a good lie across a fairly level green I would use either putter or bump an 8 iron about half the distance and try to run it to the hole.

If it was a two tiered green and the flag was on the top tier I would probably try to carry a SW or LW to the top tier, depending on how much green you had to the pin on landing.

If it was a downhill shot I would definitely use putter to get it rolling straight away, as bump and runs on these can carry too far and run by the hole.

If it was uphill I would probably use a SW and hit an agressive shot with heaps of spin that lands just short of the hole and pulls up quick.

If it was across a sliding slope I could use any of the above but more than likely putter, as it's too hard to predict how a shot through the air will react on landing on a slide slope.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I'll go with the 60 or 8 iron in most situations. Here I would most likely go with the 8.

But if the fringe was highly puttable, I might use the putter. I rarely encounter puttable fringes. In California, greenskeepers often prefer to keep fringe grass at a jobsaving length (hairy).

If the green was very slow, I might use the 5 as I would any time I felt I'd need to hit the 8 hard enough to put an unpredictable amount of spin on the ball.

In other situations, I might pull out the 9 or the 52. Landing the ball onto a slope transition on the green can ruin the shot, but sometimes is useful in stopping the ball if it's an uphill transition.
    GR lives...

I usually go to the 8i for a chip & run. Lately I have been going cross-handed to stop from getting flippy with my wrists.
    "I'm going to end up working in the lumberyard the rest of my life"

56* and 60* wedge, depending on the rough. If it's really short, I might hood the wedges or just use the putter.

bd
    Titleist 975D 8.5*
    Titleist 975F 13.5*
    Titleist 690.MB 2-PW
    TT DG X100
    Titleist 5611 SW
    Titleist 6000s LW
    Probe 20/20 brass putter
    (LH)
    Bag: Titleist SC-25

I try to keep it simple

I have found it works best for me to do the great bulk of my chipping/pitching with either my 54 or 58 degree wedges. I will either open, close, vary ball position, hand position and choke up as needed.

Mike.

I go with the school of thought that sees one using one club around the greens. For Chipping/pitching I use my 48 degree Equalizer (PW).

The Equalizer you say? You must have played a set of Ben Hogan irons at some point. My old set of blades are mid 90s apex blades.
    WitB 2010:

Other clubs:

Spot on! I still play Hogan irons. I just dont see the reason to change them. Hogan used to produce the best irons money could buy. It is a shame they got bought out by Callaway. I will still play my Hogans until the grooves are worn out. When that happens I will make the move to Mizuno.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormbringer
    I have found it works best for me to do the great bulk of my chipping/pitching with either my 54 or 58 degree wedges. I will either open, close, vary ball position, hand position and choke up as needed.

Mike.
    Isn't that actually less simple than using the same swing, while changing the club depending on the situation?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    obviously the manly play here is to bump-n-run the 60* lob wedge. this shot was made famous by Queen City Golfer, and has proven to be the manliest, non-gay shot around the green. especially when you have to carry 50 feet of water.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee'd Off
    Spot on! I still play Hogan irons. I just dont see the reason to change them. Hogan used to produce the best irons money could buy. It is a shame they got bought out by Callaway. I will still play my Hogans until the grooves are worn out. When that happens I will make the move to Mizuno.
    I still play mine from time to time. The E's grooves are beginning to show a little wear, but other than that, they are in still good condition. I had the 2-E for about 12 years, and recently found the matching 1 iron. I like the Nike CCI forged though, but it's fun to play the Hogans from time to time.
    WitB 2010:

Other clubs:

Thread Information