|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Cleveland HiBore vs Cleveland Launcher Ti460

Both with stiff stock shafts, which one is better of the drivers?

I have found the hi-bores to be SGI hacker clubs. I don't like them. Never hit the 460 Launcher, but I like it's understated looks. It's a classic pear shaped driver without any bells and whistles, and everything about it says 'player'. Having a hi-bore in the bag, on the ohter hand, would definitely stamp you as chopper material.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

NAH & I agree on something again!

I have the original Launcher 460 with the stock shaft and love it. The 460 Ti came out the following year and to be honest I think the only difference was the color scheme/paint job.
    I've tried quite a few of the new models out there but haven't found anything I like any better so it has stayed in the bag 3 1/2 years now. I'd be interested in demoing the latest Launcher but doubtful that it would be good enough to make me change.

I didn't like the Hi-Bore at all when it came out and still don't. Which Hi-Bore is it? The original? XL? XLS? The original was not popular at all and was supposed to be a bit of a dog but the XL & XLS are supposed to be much better

When the 460 drivers first came out they looked like oversize monstrosities but now a pear shaped driver head like the Launcher (or Ping G10) looks positively classical compared to all the weird shapes they are bringing out in the name of increased MOI.

So in my opinion the Launcher is much better but the only way you will know which one suits you better is if you can hit them both and compare?

Good luck.

Kiwi
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Kiwi,

I've demoed the XLS and it's an absolute POS. I've heard the XL was ok but the XLS was hopeless and gave me crap numbers. I've noticed here in Oz they are selling for about 25% of their original price after less than 2 years on the market.

Your 460 Launcher would be the only Cleveland driver I'd consider. I honestly think that since the 460cc drivers came out there has been no significant advances for the better player. The OEM's just keep trying to re-invent the wheel to keep sales up, but I really think that stuff from 5 years ago still performs as good as the new stuff, but looks better. My current driver has a few bells and whistles which can be seen on the underside, but from address all I see looking down the shaft is a black pear shaped driver head, just the way I like it.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Kiwi,

I've demoed the XLS and it's an absolute POS. I've heard the XL was ok but the XLS was hopeless and gave me crap numbers. I've noticed here in Oz they are selling for about 25% of their original price after less than 2 years on the market.

Your 460 Launcher would be the only Cleveland driver I'd consider. I honestly think that since the 460cc drivers came out there has been no significant advances for the better player. The OEM's just keep trying to re-invent the wheel to keep sales up, but I really think that stuff from 5 years ago still performs as good as the new stuff, but looks better. My current driver has a few bells and whistles which can be seen on the underside, but from address all I see looking down the shaft is a black pear shaped driver head, just the way I like it.
    Agreed.

Apart from a shaft upgrade I see no reason whatsoever to change.

When my driving is on this baby is SWEET!

Now where the f#ck am I?

If i am not mistaken, XLS is draw bias. You will experience strong draw or hook if your present drive is somewhat draw. The XLS Tour has a smaller head and is fade bias. I don't about Launcher though.

I have the original Hibore

my brother gave me a launcher 400 w/ stock shaft a month ago, i love it.hit my longest drive ever with it (345 yards) no wind + landed on a down slope. Surprised me to death being 75 yards out on a 420 yard par 4. i've hit a few other 320+, usually hit a draw but i can fade it if absolutely necessary

I agree with the opinion that all the 460s are pretty much ok if you can get the loft/face/lie angle combo that feels right. Those launch monitor thingies will decide to show you good numbers when the driver feels right, meaning that you didn't have to ask their opinion at all.

With the head, unless it's some real generic mongrel, the loft/face/lie angle combo that fits will make most everything else ok, especially if you're happy with the appearance. Then it's just a matter of attaching it to the right plastic stick. If you're banging the crap out of the ball, the launch monitor will tell you how great the club is, and you'll sleep like a baby knowing you've got that essential high tech validation..

I was at the shop today to purchase some balls and started to browse the equipment since IM in the market for a new 3 wood. I tried the 3 wood from both of the models you mentioned. I hated them both. I have been in the market for a new 3 wood since I broke my Cleveland Launcher Gold Shaft 3 wood a couple of years ago. I got a Taylor Made Burner 3 wood right now but it does not fit the bill. So I decided to score a Cleveland Launcher Gold Shaft 3 wood online. I loved this club since I could really crush the ball from the fairway which saw me gunning for par 5's in two! Why I waited so long to come back is beyond me but I scored the club for a cheap price of $35.00! Go with what ya love!

Quote Originally Posted by Tee'd Off
    I was at the shop today to purchase some balls and started to browse the equipment since IM in the market for a new 3 wood. I tried the 3 wood from both of the models you mentioned. I hated them both. I have been in the market for a new 3 wood since I broke my Cleveland Launcher Gold Shaft 3 wood a couple of years ago. I got a Taylor Made Burner 3 wood right now but it does not fit the bill. So I decided to score a Cleveland Launcher Gold Shaft 3 wood online. I loved this club since I could really crush the ball from the fairway which saw me gunning for par 5's in two! Why I waited so long to come back is beyond me but I scored the club for a cheap price of $35.00! Go with what ya love!
    Are you saying you love the old Cleveland Launcher model (which I also have) but hated the latest 2009 Launcher?

I was thinking of demoing it this weekend just out of curiosity. I love this 3 wood but was wondering how the new version performs?

Now where the f#ck am I?

I have the original Hi bore and I like it. I played a Titleist 983E before and I have found that when I am swinging well the Hi bore is easily a more forgiving club. The club is not a beauty contest winner but the results are what matter. The 460 launcher is a great club as well but when I was trying out clubs the Hi bore had a flatter angle of ascent and therefore more roll out.
    Hi Bore 9.5
    Callaway Steelhead III 3W
    MP-32 3-PW
    MP-R 52, 56, 60
    Never Compromise GM2 Exchange #4

I have found the hi-bores to be SGI hacker clubs. I don't like them. Never hit the 460 Launcher, but I like it's understated looks. It's a classic pear shaped driver without any bells and whistles, and everything about it says 'player'. Having a hi-bore in the bag, on the ohter hand, would definitely stamp you as chopper material.
    And that is what ultimately matters. Image above all!
    If you don't like a club because of its design or playing characteristics, say so, and say why. To simply name call it as something beneath your lofty skills and possibly damaging to your "playa" image instantly identifies you for what you are: an obnoxious, arrogant, loudmouthed, insecure moron. Good day, mate......
    P.S. I don't like them either, but not for the brain dead "reason" you give.

Only a highly inadequate person would be as monumentally insecure as you obviously are. "What are people going to think about me?" appears to be your mantra.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    And that is what ultimately matters. Image above all!
    If you don't like a club because of its design or playing characteristics, say so, and say why. To simply name call it as something beneath your lofty skills and possibly damaging to your "playa" image instantly identifies you for what you are: an obnoxious, arrogant, loudmouthed, insecure moron. Good day, mate......
    P.S. I don't like them either, but not for the brain dead "reason" you give.

Only a highly inadequate person would be as monumentally insecure as you obviously are. "What are people going to think about me?" appears to be your mantra.
    Aw come on Dorkman. I was bathing in the glory of having a NAH certified 'players' club in the bag.

It means a lot coming from an authority on such matters who has just bagged the pinnacle of 'players' irons, the Wilson Fat Shafts!

Now where the f#ck am I?

having a HiBore in my bag makes me want to stamp YOU, wherever I can.

How can one man be so wrong, so much of the time....?

The HiBore XL, which is my chogfapper driver, is a wonderful club. I haven't bought the XLS but only for one reason.. the XL is so good.

I had to change the shaft. Chogfappers don't switch out stock shafts for x flex V2s, do they? I did it to gain some stiffness, as the stock Red stiff wasn't quite enough for me. It was a good shaft though, and proof is I got $30 on Ebay for it after the pullout. :-)

I've never been such a purist as to reject a driver out of hand because the head 'isn't classical'. I rejected a Titleist driver because that 975 head never lined itself up right.. the alignment was just too hard. But some classical heads do look good. Nickent 4dx pro was a good looking driver. Ping G10 a classic. the new Speedline is a great looking Adams head. the Taylormade Burner, most recent edition with the long toe, is great to look at and easy to line up.

But nothing looks quite as sensible, quite as neutral, quite as easy to line up, as the HiBore. I have the XLS three wood and two of the hybrids. easy on the eyes, not in beauty but in alignment. Most important part for me.
    Last edited by daveperkins; 04-22-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: addition
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    having a HiBore in my bag makes me want to stamp YOU, wherever I can.

How can one man be so wrong, so much of the time....?

The HiBore XL, which is my chogfapper driver, is a wonderful club. I haven't bought the XLS but only for one reason.. the XL is so good.

I had to change the shaft. Chogfappers don't switch out stock shafts for x flex V2s, do they? I did it to gain some stiffness, as the stock Red stiff wasn't quite enough for me. It was a good shaft though, and proof is I got $30 on Ebay for it after the pullout. :-)

I've never been such a purist as to reject a driver out of hand because the head 'isn't classical'. I rejected a Titleist driver because that 975 head never lined itself up right.. the alignment was just too hard. But some classical heads do look good. Nickent 4dx pro was a good looking driver. Ping G10 a classic. the new Speedline is a great looking Adams head. the Taylormade Burner, most recent edition with the long toe, is great to look at and easy to line up.

But nothing looks quite as sensible, quite as neutral, quite as easy to line up, as the HiBore. I have the XLS three wood and two of the hybrids. easy on the eyes, not in beauty but in alignment. Most important part for me.
    Steady on there big fella, if you read another of my posts I say that I've heard the XL is ok, and your comments seem to back this up. My main critique was of the XLS, which I stand by as it was a POS with the tinniest sound and feel I've ever heard and felt from an OEM club, and gave me diabolical numbers compared to every other club at the shop (I know some of this could come down to the shaft but it wasn't all shaft). And golf shops can't be give them away in Oz, last time I saw one it was marked down to $199, after hitting the market at $699 less than two years ago.

Steady on there big fella, if you read another of my posts I say that I've heard the XL is ok, and your comments seem to back this up. My main critique was of the XLS, which I stand by as it was a POS with the tinniest sound and feel I've ever heard and felt from an OEM club, and gave me diabolical numbers compared to every other club at the shop (I know some of this could come down to the shaft but it wasn't all shaft). And golf shops can't be give them away in Oz, last time I saw one it was marked down to $199, after hitting the market at $699 less than two years ago.
    Congratulations. You stressed your brain to the point that you could actually articulate WHY you didn't like the club, instead of simply dismissing it as a "gay, SGI, chopper, POS" club.

We had some downstairs low life neighbors when we lived in the upper level of a triplex long ago. The lady would scream at her family members. She had one main word in her vocabulary, and it started with "f". The same word could be used in different forms in the same sentence as a noun, verb, adjective, pure explitive, and other very creative ways. However, the word didn't mean much, since it was so overused.

I suggest you continue to be more specific as to why you like or dislike certain products. It makes it so much more interesting and informative to the readers. No one really cares if you simply don't like it because it is "gay."
    Thanks
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

For what it's worth, I bought a G10 in a weak moment of new club fever, and never hit it worth a shite. I got out the old Ti460 this past weekend and hit it beautifully. Long (for me) 250+ and straight as an arrow. They're both stock shafts and I think the Clevelands' just happens to be better for my swing as they are both very traditional looking clubheads.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    The lady would scream at her family members. She had one main word in her vocabulary, and it started with "f". The same word could be used in different forms in the same sentence as a noun, verb, adjective, pure explitive, and other very creative ways.
    I had a guy yell at me in just this creative way once.. I remember walking away thinking "that's just an insult to the english language. " :-)

It was something like "Fick! Fick you, you fickin' ficker!!"

expletive, then verb in imperative voice, then adverb and thus-modified adjective. The all purpose word that in the end means almost nothing.

The refuge of the angry and incompetent. Fick 'em.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

When first in the U.S., I had a teacher in a classroom format who was teaching us English. The teacher was on the dykish side of the street. On one occasion, she was describing how in English, the choice of words is often unimportant when speaking. It's the tone and expression that can matter most.

She demonstrated this with the word bastard, using it as both an insult and, with a smile and a warm tone, as a term of affection. She asked us to demonstrate this with another word for the group.

One of the students chose the word c.unt, and used it to describe a woman he knew in both affectionate and derogatory terms. The teacher was expressionless and silent for a little while and then moved on to teach us something else.
    GR lives...

How can c unt be anything but a term of affection?

Every 460 driver on the market goes virtually the same distance (since the USGA limits COR). Play the one you keep in the fairway the most often.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    When first in the U.S., I had a teacher in a classroom format who was teaching us English. The teacher was on the dykish side of the street. On one occasion, she was describing how in English, the choice of words is often unimportant when speaking. It's the tone and expression that can matter most.

She demonstrated this with the word bastard, using it as both an insult and, with a smile and a warm tone, as a term of affection. She asked us to demonstrate this with another word for the group.

One of the students chose the word c.unt, and used it to describe a woman he knew in both affectionate and derogatory terms. The teacher was expressionless and silent for a little while and then moved on to teach us something else.
    That's an interesting observation because if a guy is a good guy, here in NZ at least, we might say he's a 'good c.unt'. On the other hand if a guy is an absolute prick and you wanted to express this in the strongest possible terms you would say "He's a c.unt!"

Prick or jerk would not be considered as strong as the C word but on the other hand we wouldn't call someone a 'good prick/jerk' either?

It must be hard for those that learn English as a second language to understand all these contradictory phrases.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    It must be hard for those that learn English as a second language to understand all these contradictory phrases.
    It is, but when I arrived in the U.S. , I made a concerted effort to learn the nuances of c.unt immediately.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    It is, but when I arrived in the U.S. , I made a concerted effort to learn the nuances of c.unt immediately.
    Good for you!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by No_Idea
    If i am not mistaken, XLS is draw bias. You will experience strong draw or hook if your present drive is somewhat draw. The XLS Tour has a smaller head and is fade bias. I don't about Launcher though.
    Yes, you want Tour whenever it's available in the XLS.. I have the XL Tour.. 1-2* open face, no draw bias.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpham_
    Both with stiff stock shafts, which one is better of the drivers?
    It's more the head/shaft combination that has to work. Pick a head that you like the looks and sound of and then find a shaft that works in it. The best thing I ever did is fit my shafts and heads with removable fittings. Now I can play around all I want.

Thread Information