|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Official Rugby Smack Talk Thread

It's been nearly 6 months since I have discussed the beautiful game with my trantasman rival NAH so I think it is time to start discussing this great game again.

Also NAH & I don't want to hear about those gay 370 pound steroid freaks mincing around on an artificial field in their tights, helmets and sanitary pads in the NFL thread. We would rather talk REAL contact sports.

With only 3 rounds to go to the playoffs who you picking NAH? With only 3 points separating the top 4 its gotta be the closest competition ever.

A few weeks ago I would have favoured one of the top two SA teams, the Sharks or the Bulls with probably the Waratahs thrown in as another likely semi finalist contender. But now the top two OZ sides seem to have dropped off the pace a bit. The top 4 look most likely on form and the Blues, despite a woeful performance at the weekend are still hovering. They are unbelievably inconsistent and could surprise if they get their act together. I think the Crusaders have blown any chance of defending the title and of the two Aussie sides the Force look more likely to me at the moment.

Wellington were red hot in their demolition of the Brumbies and if they can finish well and secure home advantage that would be huge. The two SA teams are definitely tougher propositions at home.

I'm not sure who has the easiest run in of the top 4.

1. Hurricanes- New Zealand 34
    2. Bulls - South Africa 33
    3. Chiefs - New Zealand 32
    4. Sharks - South Africa 31
    5. Blues - New Zealand 30
    6. W. Force - Australia 28
    7. Waratahs - Australia 28
    8. Crusaders - New Zealand 27
    9. Brumbies - Australia 27
    10. Highlanders - New Zealand 23
    11. Stormers- South Africa 19
    12. Lions - South Africa 19
    13. Reds - Australia 18
    14. Cheetahs - South Africa 11

What do you reckon?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Rugby?

You serious?
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Never really got into the super 14s Kiwi. I follow the Bledisloe of course and the World cup and sometimes Tri-nations but can't really get excited about he rest.
    Being Victorian the AFL is all encompasing this time of the year. For a casual look I don't mind watching a bit of league. Especially as we have the Storm to follow now. That was a pretty good game against the warriors the other week; your boys played very well.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Hi Oldplayer

Yeah I know that AFL is the main game played in your part of the world. I enjoy it & I enjoy the league too but take more of a casual interest. With both the league and the AFL I get quite interested come semi final playoffs and the Grand Final is always a must see.

The Warriors did play well against the Storm but couldn't quite pull off the golden point field goal that they managed the week before.

I was just curious to hear NAH's take on this years S14 competition.

Come Bledisloe Cup/Tri Nations time I am sure we will rekindle this thread!

I see Geelong had a BIG win against Brisbane at the weekend. Are they still leading the competition?

Now where the f#ck am I?

[QUOTE=Kiwi Player]Hi Oldplayer

Yeah I know that AFL is the main game played in your part of the world. I enjoy it & I enjoy the league too but take more of a casual interest. With both the league and the AFL I get quite interested come semi final playoffs and the Grand Final is always a must see.

The Warriors did play well against the Storm but couldn't quite pull off the golden point field goal that they managed the week before.

I was just curious to hear NAH's take on this years S14 competition.

Come Bledisloe Cup/Tri Nations time I am sure we will rekindle this thread!

I see Geelong had a BIG win against Brisbane at the weekend. Are they still leading the competition?[/QUOTE]

Surprisingly the club with the most wooden spoons in the history of aussie rules is on top of the ladder. St. Kilda. They are unbeaten as Geelong are after 5 rounds, but are ahead on pecentage.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Hey Kiwi,

Like OP I thik the Super 14 is lacking something ths year. Maybe it's because my team (the Waratahs) are stinking it up thiis year. They need a seeing eye dog to show them the tryline. All in all it's been a boring year for Waratah fans, and we don't get to see much of the other games. It looks like the Crusaders are gone this year without Deans coaching them, just a shame he doesn't have the same affect on our national team.

In my part of the world the rugby league is getting all the attention and the comp this year has been very unpredictable and exciting. Your team has had a few Houdini like wins (Manly, Roosters) but you guys look much stronger with Stacey Jones back. He was the architect of both those wins.

I apologise for my lack of passion for the Super 14, but if NSW sqeak in I'm sure I'll get interested again. And I can assure you the rah rah debate will ht up again at Bledisloe Cup time. That's the rugby I really look forward to every year.

OP, Even though I'm from Sydney I love watching AFL. I'm a Pies man, but also like the look of St Kilda this year. In the past St Kilda have been hot and cold but this year they really look like they have that hard edge they've been lacking. I think the main reason for their success is their twin ruckmen King and Gardiner (both imports brought in to do a job and they have delivered). As well as being two top notch ruckmen that can double team any other ruck pairing out of the game, it has given the Saints the luxury of freeing up Kozichske to go forward, where he is at his best. The Saints look strong right across the park and should give the Hawks and Cats a run this year. It all comes down to injuries, but if all three were at full strength I'd still fancy the Saints with their ruckmen and tall forwards. But having said all that I've still got faith in the Pies, but their downfall has again been inaccuracy in front of goal, which has been their archilles heel for as long as I can remember. If they could kick straighter they would be the other threat to the Hawks and Cats.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 04-30-2009 at 10:49 PM.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I apologise for my lack of passion for the Super 14,
    No worries. It's only now we're getting to the business end of the competition I'm getting interested myself. We had a great summer here in NZ and the S14 seemed to kick off so early, it was still the middle of the cricket season! I couldn't get interested at all for the first few weeks. IMO the standard of play and more disturbingly the standard of refereeing has been down this year meaning it's a lousy spectacle. Should pick up over the next few weeks and come play off time.

I'll look forward to the smack talk come Bledisloe Cup time.

Cheers
    Kiwi

Now where the f#ck am I?

Well, well, well ... no Aussie teams in the playoffs eh and 3 out of 4 Kiwi teams. Not a bad result considering all the players that have buggered off to Europe in the last two seasons.

Still I wish someone could have knocked the Bulls off the top spot. I don't like the Bulls having home advantage for the semis and potentially the final. Those Seth Efrican Bostards are tough to beat over there.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Well, well, well ... no Aussie teams in the playoffs eh and 3 out of 4 Kiwi teams. Not a bad result considering all the players that have buggered off to Europe in the last two seasons.

Still I wish someone could have knocked the Bulls off the top spot. I don't like the Bulls having home advantage for the semis and potentially the final. Those Seth Efrican Bostards are tough to beat over there.

Now you can garrantee no one in Oz is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Now you can garrantee no one in Oz is watching.
    You forgetting about all the ex-pat Kiwis?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    You forgetting about all the ex-pat Kiwis?
    Once they get here (in Victoria at least) they quickly assimilate and then follow the best oval ball game......Aussie Rules!!

If only I really believed in what I just said....... I'm struggling for a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Once they get here (in Victoria at least) they quickly assimilate and then follow the best oval ball game......Aussie Rules!!

If only I really believed in what I just said....... I'm struggling for a comeback.
    You don't need a comeback OP. I know what you meant:

"Now you can guarantee no Australians will be watching"

I agree with you!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information