|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Shaft Flex Help Please

I am looking to upgrade to a Callaway FT and my swing speed is mid 70's. Hit the 5-6 iron 150-160. I have read the Callaway shafts play very soft to flex. I am not where I can demo these. In the Furjukua shaft in the FT-5 the std 150, and the one in the FT1 the speeder 586 will both of these play soft than others. I play a regular NV 65 regular and it is too stiff for me now as I get old. Would you recommend a senior flex or a regular in each of these shafts? Thank you for responding.

I think you need to find you something with Senior Flex (A flex) for sure . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I think you should just keep what you have, as we all know that shaft flex doesn't make a fig of difference (unless you are hawking something at which point reg flex big berthas are the go).
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenskeeper
    I am looking to upgrade to a Callaway FT and my swing speed is mid 70's. Hit the 5-6 iron 150-160. I have read the Callaway shafts play very soft to flex. I am not where I can demo these. In the Furjukua shaft in the FT-5 the std 150, and the one in the FT1 the speeder 586 will both of these play soft than others. I play a regular NV 65 regular and it is too stiff for me now as I get old. Would you recommend a senior flex or a regular in each of these shafts? Thank you for responding.
    If you can hit your 5 iron 160, then you should be able to swing your driver in the mid 80s...at least according to most standard shaft fitting charts. I think it takes about a 70mph swing of the 5i to hit the ball 160 yds. Most people (according to equipment websites) will swing their 5i only 80% of the speed of their driver. You should probably be swinging your driver at least 85mph. Swing speed isn't the only determination for shaft flex though, and if regular feels too stiff, then just go ahead and try a senior flex.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenskeeper
    Try to explore other brands too. Driver and shaft combination also makes a difference.

Both the Fuji E150 and the Fuji Speeder 586 are considerably different shafts from the NV 65. Both are lighter than the NV 65, have softer tips, and IMO both have more feel and kick. Based on your 5 iron distance without knowing what degrees of loft it is, your driver SS is more like in the eighties which should put you in regular in either one. Your tempo and swing type, long and smooth vs shorter arc and fast, are important considerations as much as SS. I played an FT3 w/NVS-55 Stiff for three years and recently bought an FT-9 I-Mix with Fubuki Tour 63 in R, and this R has more feel and yet less dispersion than the stiff lighter shaft had. Some of this is the head of course. Shaft flex ratings are not standardized and you just have to get fitted (by someone good at it) or try them.

Thread Information