|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

This is my driver swing. Discuss.

Driver Specs: Cleveland Launcher 400 8.5* X stiff Fuji Gold Shaft

Wrong side of the tee box for that type of stroke..........................Everything is good going back, and then you cast the club from the top and then stand up thru impact with an over the top stroke. It looks like you are a little steep coming down with the big stick. You can try widening your stance a bit also while playing the ball off your big toe with the driver. ..............But I dont know wth im talking about
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Quote Originally Posted by ProStatus
    Wrong side of the tee box for that type of stroke..........................Everything is good going back, and then you cast the club from the top and then stand up thru impact with an over the top stroke. It looks like you are a little steep coming down with the big stick. You can try widening your stance a bit also while playing the ball off your big toe with the driver. ..............But I dont know wth im talking about
    only thing i will agree with, is it's a little steep... watch the shaft, no casting and it stays on one plane, may look over the top but my stance is closed, guess i need to work on that

Quote Originally Posted by ripit35
    only thing i will agree with, is it's a little steep... watch the shaft, no casting and it stays on one plane, may look over the top but my stance is closed, guess i need to work on that
    LMAO................okay ..............then if thats not over the top then i dont know what is. And if you arent casting from the top then why do you stand up thru impact. I bet you hit a fade in that video, if so you must have been in those trees on the right of that fairway. Where your standing at on the tee box calls for a draw. A proper release would have your club head going out towards the right . If your stance is closed then it would cause you to do this naturally . but then again your not coming over the top........ugghhhh are you
    Last edited by ProStatus; 05-19-2009 at 02:22 PM.
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    LMAO................okay ..............then if thats not over the top then i dont know what is. And if you arent casting from the top then why do you stand up thru impact. I bet you hit a fade in that video, if so you must have been in those trees on the right of that fairway. Where your standing at on the tee box calls for a draw. A proper release would have your club head going out towards the right . If your stance is closed then it would cause you to do this naturally . but then again your not coming over the top........ugghhhh are you
    No, actually, he's not. He is setting up a swing path at impact that points a lot to the left of his feet, but look at him half way down: the lower body is leading.

The biggest problems I see are the same ones that showed in his early swing vids:

At address, not enough flex in the knees and hips. The spine should be tilted more forward by tilting the pelvis, instead of rounded at the shoulders.

Consequently, you should be set up with the ball further away from you.

Change those things and you'll have the room to swing through without changing your posture through impact.

what do you mean by casting? am i releasing my lag at the top? really dont know. as for the standing, when i plant my left foot, naturally i don't keep it bent, and everything comes up. look at my shoulders and knees, everything is pointing to the left except my feet.
    Alan was right, it was slight draw that hugged the left side of the fairway

Driver Specs: Cleveland Launcher 400 8.5* X stiff Fuji Gold Shaft
    That is a classic "stand up" through impact. I expect that you top them quite often. I KNOW it is impossible for you to make a divot in front of a ball on the grass. That stand up kills you athletic swing.

Your swing plane and tempo look fine, but you must set and hold your back leg knee bend--and then "squat" a little further when you downswing. Your butt should move straight BACK from the ball. Then hold that squat as you transfer your weight to your front leg--and THEN stand up for the finish.

Most good golfers set their weight on their back foot HEEL, squat as they downswing, and then stay squatted as they transfer to the front foot HEEL as they downswing. Heel, squat, heel. DO NOT stand up. Your butt should never move toward the ball.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    That is a classic "stand up" through impact. I expect that you top them quite often. I KNOW it is impossible for you to make a divot in front of a ball on the grass. That stand up kills you athletic swing.

Your swing plane and tempo look fine, but you must set and hold your back leg knee bend--and then "squat" a little further when you downswing. Your butt should move straight BACK from the ball. Then hold that squat as you transfer your weight to your front leg--and THEN stand up for the finish.

Most good golfers set their weight on their back foot HEEL, squat as they downswing, and then stay squatted as they transfer to the front foot HEEL as they downswing. Heel, squat, heel. DO NOT stand up. Your butt should never move toward the ball.

Larry
    i never top, usually paranoid about having it tee'd too high, but thanks for the copy/paste anyways

Talk about not being able see the forest for the trees...

He has some fundamental issues with his setup, Larry. Let him sort those out before he worries about adopting your latest "secret" (which you will, naturally, in due course, abandon).

I could not advise on the technical setup. Please refer to Larry and his videos. If the ball goes straight, don't worry about it. Look at Jim Furyk, he would definitely fail Leadbetter's classes. Yet he plays on tour.

I believe you pulled the ball. Instead of trying to lift the ball, you would be better off trying to push the club head forward. Good luck with this mindset !

Watch you're left knee doesn't move too far forward and you're right knee straighten on your takeaway. It looks like that may be happening. This causes your hips to tilt instead of turning back on a level plane. Hips tilting on the backswing can cause all sorts of problems with making consistent ball contact. Thin, fat, topped shots etc.
    It also does look like you are standing up at impact. I don't think you're head should come up so early.
    Looks like you live up to you're name......plenty of power there.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

It looks like to me that your not breathing through you eyelids properly other than that your swing looks good.
    Last edited by groundhogday; 05-20-2009 at 04:03 AM.
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Taylormade v-steel copy 3 & 5 wood
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    Tayormade 2007 Burner 10.5 Driver
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Watch you're left knee doesn't move too far forward and you're right knee straighten on your takeaway. It looks like that may be happening. This causes your hips to tilt instead of turning back on a level plane. Hips tilting on the backswing can cause all sorts of problems with making consistent ball contact. Thin, fat, topped shots etc.
    It also does look like you are standing up at impact. I don't think you're head should come up so early.
    Looks like you live up to you're name......plenty of power there.

wow, yeah i think you nailed it, now how to fix the tilting hips, is it just a matter of keeping the knees bent throughout?

what do you mean by casting? am i releasing my lag at the top? really dont know. as for the standing, when i plant my left foot, naturally i don't keep it bent, and everything comes up. look at my shoulders and knees, everything is pointing to the left except my feet.
    Alan was right, it was slight draw that hugged the left side of the fairway
    A slight draw that hugged the left side of the fairway.....hmmm. okay , so why wouldnt you aim for the left edge of the tree on the right and find the fairway. I mean hearing that it hugged the left side of the fairway , doesnt a draw finish left of its target . Anyways......IMO a wider stance is going to give you more control and help you keep the flex in your right knee. And cause you to use the inside edge of your right foot more and allows the right foot to push off through impact . Your right foot comes up waayyy to early in the down swing. Due to having a narrow stance and standing to close to the ball. But again you know your swing better than anyone on GR. You do have a great takeaway though, but you loose everything on the way down. You should hear a swish well in front of the ball after impact , not a swish before impact
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

I know you're defending your setup but are you setting up like that because of the results you usually get? At address your shoulders and feet seem to be aimed down the right side of the fairway. Your take away is perfect and the start of your downswing looks perfectly on plane (no casting or over the top).

The raising up is where things start to go bad. About a quarter of the way down you start to pop up. You can see your shoulders immediately aim left when you start to raise up. At impact you're standing almost straight up. This is causing a pull which to some may look like an over the top swing, but it doesn't start at the top like the typical over the top action you see many players do. Someone mentioned "casting" and the only spot I see that is actually at impact it looks like the clubhead may actually be ahead of your hands. You need to work on keeping your hands ahead of the ball on impact and feel like you're trying to hit the ball out to the right while not raising up. This should eliminate the pull and improve contact.

What everyone is saying is what Titleist Performance Institute (TPI) calls "Early Extension." They define it as "any forward movement (thrust) of the lower body towards the golf ball during the downswing." Your hips are moving toward the ball and up through your swing. They move in toward your hands and will cause pushes, push-draws (on good days), or big hooks when the tempo gets off with the feeling of being stuck. The extension should happen after impact not before. If you can rotate your hips through without having them move toward your hands you'll have more room for your arms to swing. Here's the link to MyTPI. You might have to become a member but it describes the swing fault.
    http://www.mytpi.com/mytpi05/Swing/s...il.asp?SF_ID=1

I have the a similar move and it's interesting because it feels very powerful but if you can get your arms and shoulders to move more freely through impact you can hit the ball just as far with less effort. Just image all the power in your swing that is going up on your back foot at impact being transferred to the ball and not being lost on the upward move. TPI points the fault to muscle conditioning but I have none of the physical weaknesses they point out. Mine is just a misunderstanding of the swing mechanics.

Good powerful swing in all.

A slight draw that hugged the left side of the fairway.....hmmm. okay , so why wouldnt you aim for the left edge of the tree on the right and find the fairway. I mean hearing that it hugged the left side of the fairway , doesnt a draw finish left of its target . Anyways......IMO a wider stance is going to give you more control and help you keep the flex in your right knee. And cause you to use the inside edge of your right foot more and allows the right foot to push off through impact . Your right foot comes up waayyy to early in the down swing. Due to having a narrow stance and standing to close to the ball. But again you know your swing better than anyone on GR. You do have a great takeaway though, but you loose everything on the way down. You should hear a swish well in front of the ball after impact , not a swish before impact
    i was hitting into a left to right headwind about 15 mph, i set up for the draw starting down the right side, but its a glitch in my stance that causes my knees and shoulders to open up. today i worked the knee flexing, both back and down swings, as well as the shallower swing plane. now my tendency is a duck hook, due to the narrow stance and laying back, also because it is real hard getting my hands out in front of the ball with how hard i am swinging. After 10 or so duck hooks, i got the feel for it and started pushing some out to the right

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    What everyone is saying is what Titleist Performance Institute (TPI) calls "Early Extension." They define it as "any forward movement (thrust) of the lower body towards the golf ball during the downswing." Your hips are moving toward the ball and up through your swing. They move in toward your hands and will cause pushes, push-draws (on good days), or big hooks when the tempo gets off with the feeling of being stuck. The extension should happen after impact not before. If you can rotate your hips through without having them move toward your hands you'll have more room for your arms to swing. Here's the link to MyTPI. You might have to become a member but it describes the swing fault.
    http://www.mytpi.com/mytpi05/Swing/s...il.asp?SF_ID=1

I have the a similar move and it's interesting because it feels very powerful but if you can get your arms and shoulders to move more freely through impact you can hit the ball just as far with less effort. Just image all the power in your swing that is going up on your back foot at impact being transferred to the ball and not being lost on the upward move. TPI points the fault to muscle conditioning but I have none of the physical weaknesses they point out. Mine is just a misunderstanding of the swing mechanics.

Good powerful swing in all.
    thanks, it may be due to my poor hip flexibility, as i have posted squat videos on bb.com before, and that's the first thing people will point out. It's gotten a lot better, and i may just have to recondition it for my swing, or do that squat move that ole Larry is raving about

wow, yeah i think you nailed it, now how to fix the tilting hips, is it just a matter of keeping the knees bent throughout?
    We control our hips with our knees-- they are attached. Just keep the back knee "set" as you backswing and then "squat" as you downswing. Put your weight on your back foot HEEL (like Tiger does) and swing to your front foot HEEL-- maintaining the squat. Nothing more complex than that. Just don't stand up.

Later

obsessed! You have posted to or about me several dozen times in the last two days. For the information of the others here, that is what you did at every other discussion forum (before they banned you). Soon the others here will start doing what they did there-- ask you to stop-- EVERYONE can see that you are obsessed-- more than a little nutty. And it is boring to read your diatribes on the same subject.

Get a life, Alan. Start with getting a job--turn off the computer, get out of your apartment and if necessary go door to door in the city --asking for a job. Someone must need a dropout with no skills or ability to work with others. Gravedigger?

Larry

obsessed! You have posted to or about me several dozen times in the last two days. For the information of the others here, that is what you did at every other discussion forum (before they banned you). Soon the others here will start doing what they did there-- ask you to stop-- EVERYONE can see that you are obsessed-- more than a little nutty. And it is boring to read your diatribes on the same subject.

Get a life, Alan. Start with getting a job--turn off the computer, get out of your apartment and if necessary go door to door in the city --asking for a job. Someone must need a dropout with no skills or ability to work with others. Gravedigger?

Larry
    hey shitface, go ***** about this guy somewhere else

You're simply lying again, Larry.

I've posted a bunch of times recently when I thought it was relevant.

You merely post the most bull***.

Thanks, Larry, but I've got a job.

Yes, keeping the flex in the right knee right through the takeaway with at the top of your backswing you're weight comfortably centered over that knee. When you turn back into impact your LEFT knee should straighten, even snap straight as you rotate your hips to face the target. This is a very powerful impact position.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

And it is boring to read your diatribes on the same subject.
    Ahem ...

A little rich coming from you isn't it Larry?

What is that expression about practicing what you preach?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Larry
    Sounds like GR here.

Thread Information