|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

I did not know that raw balls could perform well.

After attempting an ill-advised tee shot I asked for another ball. My dad pitched me one of his. It was Slazenger Raw Feel. Pretty decent ball. I played it the rest of the round which was four holes and shot even par over that stretch. Pretty comparable to the D2 Feel by my estimates and a little cheaper.
    Last edited by bigpun1974; 05-21-2009 at 09:33 AM.
    Hi Bore 9.5
    Callaway Steelhead III 3W
    MP-32 3-PW
    MP-R 52, 56, 60
    Never Compromise GM2 Exchange #4

Quote Originally Posted by bigpun1974
    After attempting an ill-advised tee shot I asked for another ball. My dad pitched me one his. It was Slazenger Raw Feel. Pretty decent ball. I played it the rest of the round which was four holes and shot even par over that stretch. Pretty comparable to the D2 Feel by my estimates and a little cheaper.
    Always said it big man. balls make very little difference at chopper level, and we are all choppers here (except Prostatus, obviously)

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Balls make the most difference in how they react on the green. The yardage diffences are usually 15 yards or less. If you're consistent with your wedges you'll probably have a ball preference. How they feel coming off the putter face is also important.
    Last edited by SDB1; 05-21-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Balls can also have different spin levels which can be difficult to judge, especially out of the rough. That is why it is perfectly acceptable practice (on the PGA Tour even) to prop your ball up in the rough. It's not even cheating because Kenny Perry didn't admit to it and the tour officials didn't retroactively DQ him. Case closed. Have fun with the Slazzies.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Balls can also have different spin levels which can be difficult to judge, especially out of the rough. That is why it is perfectly acceptable practice (on the PGA Tour even) to prop your ball up in the rough. It's not even cheating because Kenny Perry didn't admit to it and the tour officials didn't retroactively DQ him. Case closed. Have fun with the Slazzies.
    Whoa! Now your anger is spilling into other threads? Settle down man! If it makes you happy, I think Kenny Perry is a big fat cheater. Better?

I think this is the same guy that insisted you don't have to adjust the face of your wedge for uphill or downhill lies even after someone posted a Maltbie video that demonstrated it in painstaking detail.

Maybe life's never been the same for him since serving on the OJ jury.
    GR lives...

That someone was me.

KP prefers his Princess Lies. When you play a 30 yard draw with your wedges you have to make sure you get good contact with those groves or you could kill an innocent fan. The official obviously took this into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I think this is the same guy that insisted you don't have to adjust the face of your wedge for uphill or downhill lies even after someone posted a Maltbie video that demonstrated it in painstaking detail.

Maybe life's never been the same for him since serving on the OJ jury.
    I vaguely remember this that thread. Wasn't it about sidehill lies?

If Kenny Perry had raw balls he would not have to prop them up in the rough.
    Hi Bore 9.5
    MP-32 3-PW
    MP-R 52, 56, 60

The cheap balls play well cuz you aren't worried about losing them, one less negative thought in your head, or you could take Larry's new philosophy and play blindfolded. if you cant see the ball, you cant see the markings

I remember liking some of the Slazenger Money balls a few years back.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutter
    I remember liking some of the Slazenger Money balls a few years back.
    Given the current state of the economy I thought that everyone would like to know that you can have raw balls in your bag for a decent price.
    Hi Bore 9.5
    MP-32 3-PW
    MP-R 52, 56, 60

Quote Originally Posted by ripit35
    The cheap balls play well cuz you aren't worried about losing them, one less negative thought in your head, or you could take Larry's new philosophy and play blindfolded. if you cant see the ball, you cant see the markings
    I play better with expensive balls because I AM afraid of losing them! I just bought two boxes of cheap balls last month to test out. They're almost gone. I can play for 6 months on one box of ProV1s. So much for trying to save a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    I play better with expensive balls because I AM afraid of losing them! I just bought two boxes of cheap balls last month to test out. They're almost gone. I can play for 6 months on one box of ProV1s. So much for trying to save a few bucks.
    it really doesn't matter to me, but i find that the Bridgestone/Precept have the most penetrating ball flight. I've played the TM Black the last couple rounds, and it balloons with the slightest head wind. The Slazzies and Top Flights i get for christmas go quick because i usually pull them out for 'practice' shots, and cba chasing them down

Balls make the most difference in how they react on the green. The yardage diffences are usually 15 yards or less. If you're consistent with your wedges you'll probably have a ball preference. How they feel coming off the putter face is also important.
    Spin due to the center and cover material could make a difference ONLY if the golfer hits the ball on the sweet spot of the wedge--and only when the wedge is always at the same angle and only when the clubhead is always traveling on the target line. BUT, if he misses the sweet spot, angle, and clubhead path like nearly all amateurs do-- the ball itself is the LEAST important variable in accuracy. Most amateurs cannot drop balls from 40 yards on a green--much less drop them in a 10 foot or tighter circle. Reason: they are on the range hitting driver over and over again-- They do not and will not devote the hours of intense practice that developing such skills would take. There is NO hope to be consistent with such a practice ethic.

Larry

The Money balls would not be appropiately named in today's economy.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    Spin due to the center and cover material could make a difference ONLY if the golfer hits the ball on the sweet spot of the wedge--and only when the wedge is always at the same angle and only when the clubhead is always traveling on the target line.

Larry
    Dimples depth and pattern counts too. It also depends on the humidity. If you are on the equator, the gravitational force is greater. The effect of a spin depends on how hard or soft a green is. And so on..

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Always said it big man. balls make very little difference at chopper level, and we are all choppers here (except Prostatus, obviously)

Edgey
    I ll play any kinda ball, except used balls, refurbished balls , Top Flite, Ram, or pinnacle. My home course has the thickest ruff youve ever played out of I guarantee. After a while you get tired of loosing good balls that you prefer to use, just for going in the ruff. Ill use my good balls if I play for money or am in a tourney. ................Other than that Ill use Slazenger Speed Tour balls or Dt Solos aswell as Maxflis. .................I put it this way, I know for a fact that even some of the cheaper balls now are better than the ones used 15, 20, or 30 years ago when guys where winning Us Opens and Masters tourneys with. I dont always need a Pro v or Bridgestone to have fun and score well...............It took me a while but Ive come to realize that this game is all mental and being able to control stressful thoughts. ...........If your not having fun , go play softball or tennis. Having fun first is most important. Not thinking about where your hands or hips ,shoulders, and arms are at all the time is a great path to fun and great golf. ................When you practice golf then practice it , but when you play golf then f ukin play golf.................Forget about lookin good for the guys or did you take the putter head back far enough. PLAY And Have FUN.................Ill play with anybody and any ball
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Larry,

Is 'nearly all' and 'Most' the same as '99% of all' ? Just wondering.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

The only "raw balls" I will hang around is my own. Thank you for the post.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Nobody should have to play with raw balls.

They invented talcum powder for a very good reason...

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    Spin due to the center and cover material could make a difference ONLY if the golfer hits the ball on the sweet spot of the wedge--and only when the wedge is always at the same angle and only when the clubhead is always traveling on the target line. BUT, if he misses the sweet spot, angle, and clubhead path like nearly all amateurs do-- the ball itself is the LEAST important variable in accuracy. Most amateurs cannot drop balls from 40 yards on a green--much less drop them in a 10 foot or tighter circle. Reason: they are on the range hitting driver over and over again-- They do not and will not devote the hours of intense practice that developing such skills would take. There is NO hope to be consistent with such a practice ethic.

Larry
    This is why I stated, "If you're consistent with your wedges you'll probably have a ball preference". If you can't reproduce the same swing on a somewhat consistent basis, it doesn't matter what ball you play.

There are some new balls out called warrior, I've heard they compare to Slazenger. Anyone played them?

I have seen warrior balls before. I cut them off of a gentleman for taking a pot shot at the Humvee I was riding in with an AK47. I don't think that they would be comparable to a Slazenger.
    Hi Bore 9.5
    MP-32 3-PW
    MP-R 52, 56, 60

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    Nobody should have to play with raw balls.

They invented talcum powder for a very good reason...

FON

Ahhhh . . . . now, we can change the subject in typical GR fashion:

How many of you powder your balls? I use Gold Bond Powder after every shower. It gives the skin a slight tingle and keeps the wallies all dry and comfortable throughout the day. Very good addition to the golf game -- if the wallies aren't comfortable, you can't concentrate on the golf game.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    This is why I stated, "If you're consistent with your wedges you'll probably have a ball preference". If you can't reproduce the same swing on a somewhat consistent basis, it doesn't matter what ball you play.
    As you've probably already noticed, Larry isn't interested in what anyone other than himself has to say about anything. From Larry's point of view, we're all just here to give him a place to stroke his ego.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS

How many of you powder your balls? I use Gold Bond Powder after every shower. It gives the skin a slight tingle and keeps the wallies all dry and comfortable throughout the day. Very good addition to the golf game -- if the wallies aren't comfortable, you can't concentrate on the golf game.
    Do you apply that before or after waxing?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS

This took a lot longer than I thought it would.
    Hi Bore 9.5
    MP-32 3-PW
    MP-R 52, 56, 60

Thread Information