|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

A decent low cost 3-piece

In these trying economic times one has to be a little more savy with ones cash. I'M in the market for a poor mans Pro-V. I want a 3-piece for more control around the greens so no high end two piece balls! A few years ago Dunlop had the Loco Pro, as played by John Daley. This was perhaps the best kept secret in golf. This sucker was just as good as any high end ball at half the price! Why Dunlop stopped making it is beyond me! I would like to stay under $30. Heck, I see two piece balls at $30 which is just crazy. We golfers as a collective hole should have are heads examined for paying so much! Ok, in a nut shell I want a high compresion, low cost (no more then $30), 3 peice ball. Does such a thing exist?

Precept U-Tri Tour, read the reviews, they are being clearanced out at Wally World for <$20 /doz

I picked up some $24 dollar Srixon Z URS. Last year's models are cheaper, and not much different.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

2008 Maxfli C3 ............or Slazenger Tour Speed and im not bs n they feel fairly well off the irons .....But i also get them for like 6 bucks a dozen and they are long off the tee
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Quote Originally Posted by Tee'd Off
    In these trying economic times one has to be a little more savy with ones cash. I'M in the market for a poor mans Pro-V. I want a 3-piece for more control around the greens so no high end two piece balls! A few years ago Dunlop had the Loco Pro, as played by John Daley. This was perhaps the best kept secret in golf. This sucker was just as good as any high end ball at half the price! Why Dunlop stopped making it is beyond me! I would like to stay under $30. Heck, I see two piece balls at $30 which is just crazy. We golfers as a collective hole should have are heads examined for paying so much! Ok, in a nut shell I want a high compresion, low cost (no more then $30), 3 peice ball. Does such a thing exist?
    Maxflli Tour Fire, on sale at Dick's 14.99/dozen. haven't played them but i really liked the Maxfli Revolution Tour a few years ago.

also, the Wilson Zip is a good ball for the price, only $20/dozen at most retailers.

then there's the Top Flite Gamer, if you can get past the fact it's a top flite.

A good price for a 3 piece can always be had if you shop around. There is always some superseded model being run out to make way for the new version. At the moment the Srixon ZURS/C can be found cheap and both would suit your requirements.

I also have to agree with ripit. The U-Tri Tour is porbably still one of the best balls out ther period, but are getting a few years old now so can be found real cheap. I always keep an eye out for them on sale. I missed out a few weeks back when they were going for $25 a dozen (here in Oz Pro V1's are $80 plus a dozen), but even their rgular price of $35 a dozen is good.

I have used the gamer lately and it is a decent ball, but probably not as good for greenside spin as premium balls so maybe not for you.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I was using the U-Tri Tour last year. They used to sell them at the local target for $23 a pop. Unfortunatly, they stopped carrying them and I have not been able to find them. I liked them a lot and they were a good replacement for the Loco Pro. Still the Loco Pro is king!

Quote Originally Posted by Tee'd Off
    I was using the U-Tri Tour last year. They used to sell them at the local target for $23 a pop. Unfortunatly, they stopped carrying them and I have not been able to find them. I liked them a lot and they were a good replacement for the Loco Pro. Still the Loco Pro is king!
    Can't agree about the Loco Pro. I had a couple once and just diudn't like the look of them. I think the dimple pattern just put me off for some reason. But on the plus side, anything JD plays has to have something going for it.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I've tried and played about every brand there is on the market. I don't buy balls brand new, I buy them in mint condition at Knetgolf -- same great quality with half or more the price.

I'm getting ready to buy 6 dozen 2008 ProV 1x mint golf balls this week. Play other brands all you want, but there is no substitute IMO.

I have 6 dozen Srixon Urs, but they don't play like the 1x. They are good balls, but they don't play like Pro V1x balls.

If you like Pro V1s, find the old Blackmax balls from Maxfli (the ones with nothing but black ink on them,not the newer ones with red.) These balls play identical to the Pro V1s, but they do not have the distance of the Pro V1xs.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

V1x's are the most economical ball you can play. You'll be so damn afraid to lose a ball you can play with a dozen balls the entire season. Unlike cheaper balls that you just fire off Willy Nilly!

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    V1x's are the most economical ball you can play. You'll be so damn afraid to lose a ball you can play with a dozen balls the entire season. Unlike cheaper balls that you just fire off Willy Nilly!
    Some of us actually concentrate on the shot at hand and don't get preoccupied by the cost of balls. You should try it some time, it might help you break 100.

Dicks (Prostatus can confirm) is running a promo for the new Cally Tour i and ix balls, where you get 6 additional i or ix balls when you buy a dozen. So, in the US you get 18 balls (the Tour ix is my favorite ball by FAR) for $45. That $2.50 USD per.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Some of us actually concentrate on the shot at hand and don't get preoccupied by the cost of balls. You should try it some time, it might help you break 100.
    Nice try! If I couldn't break 80 I would puke! Why don't you try some constructive input instead of the typical nonsense? If I'm playing crap balls I'm more inclined to play risky shots therefore losing more balls. A box of ProV1s will last me 6 months to a year depending on how cut up the covers start to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Dicks (Prostatus can confirm) is running a promo for the new Cally Tour i and ix balls, where you get 6 additional i or ix balls when you buy a dozen. So, in the US you get 18 balls (the Tour ix is my favorite ball by FAR) for $45. That $2.50 USD per.
    Good Deal! How long is that going on? I played a Cally Tour that I found the other day. Nice ball.

Good Deal! How long is that going on? I played a Cally Tour that I found the other day. Nice ball.
    I don't know. I went into Dick's last Friday for something else and saw the deal.
    I did a ball fitting in December and the Cally Tour ix was either #1 or #2 in each stat category with driver, 6 iron, and PW. It really is a great ball.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I don't know. I went into Dick's last Friday for something else and saw the deal.
    I did a ball fitting in December and the Cally Tour ix was either #1 or #2 in each stat category with driver, 6 iron, and PW. It really is a great ball.
    How does that work? I've always been more concerned with how my ball feels and responds into and around the green. Isn't a ball fitting only a distance/spin fitting on a monitor?

Nike One Blacks & Platinums are now 30 bucks a dozen at Dicks & Golf Galaxy. I'd take the discounted Srixon URS/Cs, or the Cally i_tour with the 6 free balls first though. The only time I buy Pro V1s are when I get a good deal on refinished ones in mint or near mint condition.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

How does that work? I've always been more concerned with how my ball feels and responds into and around the green. Isn't a ball fitting only a distance/spin fitting on a monitor?
    Yes, but with 3 clubs (driver, 5/6 iron, pitching wedge). The software allows you to pick a test ball as a baseline (I used a Bridgestone B330S), then the numbers you get are extrapolated out to the other balls. Accuracy, ball speed, spin, launch angle, carry distance, roll, etc. are given for each of the 3 clubs and the balls are ranked. It's up to the individual to choose which ball performs best for the areas of his game that are important. Short knockers like LarryAB would choose the ball that performed well for distance for example.
    This probably doesn't make a ton of sense because it's difficult to explain without talking or demonstrating.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Yes, but with 3 clubs (driver, 5/6 iron, pitching wedge). The software allows you to pick a test ball as a baseline (I used a Bridgestone B330S), then the numbers you get are extrapolated out to the other balls. Accuracy, ball speed, spin, launch angle, carry distance, roll, etc. are given for each of the 3 clubs and the balls are ranked. It's up to the individual to choose which ball performs best for the areas of his game that are important. Short knockers like LarryAB would choose the ball that performed well for distance for example.
    This probably doesn't make a ton of sense because it's difficult to explain without talking or demonstrating.
    But other than spin numbers how do you decide what ball perfoms best when landing on a green? I like balls that one hop and don't spin back a ton. I also don't want my ball to release. If you've ever tried chipping or putting with several different balls there can be a drastic difference in how they react and feel. This is how I pick my ball if all other things are pretty close.

But other than spin numbers how do you decide what ball perfoms best when landing on a green? I like balls that one hop and don't spin back a ton. I also don't want my ball to release. If you've ever tried chipping or putting with several different balls there can be a drastic difference in how they react and feel. This is how I pick my ball if all other things are pretty close.
    True, a field test is good for the short stuff. But this test allowed me to cut the list down drastically. Balls like the Bridgestone B330S and Srixon ZURS were honestly 15-20 yards shorter with the driver, with 1500 rpms more spin. I also threw out the balls that didn't show up in the top 3 at least a couple times for the 3 clubs. The consistent performers in the test for me were the Tour ix and Bstone B330. Adds a little objectivity to a previously subjective preference.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

The best deal out there at walmart for $15 a dozen is the Precept U-Tri Tour. great spin and feel. close to prov1. 15 is closeout price so i can't imagine they'll last too long. definitely more bite/spin than wilson zip (soft and maybe a little more distance)

I went into Wal Mart today and they had marked down their Taylormade TP Reds and Blacks from 44.95 to 27.50. Needless to say, I now have 5 dozen TP Reds . . . . . . .

Sooner, How tall are you? By those specs I'd say 6'4"?
    Started golfing June-2008

Nike Sasquatch 9.5* w/Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
    Nike Sasquatch 15* w/True Temper SpeedStep Stiff
    Nike Slingshot OSS 18* w/True Temper Gold Stiff
    Mizuno MP 67 3-P, Project X 6.0
    Cleveland CG 14 52/10, +1"
    Cleveland CG 14 58/10, +1"
    Nike IC 20-20
    Taylormade TP Red

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySight
    Sooner, How tall are you? By those specs I'd say 6'4"?

You would be correct . . . . . 6' 4" and 220 lbs.

My closest female acquaintance normally uses a two piece. The result is more of a full body tan.

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    My closest female acquaintance normally uses a two piece. The result is more of a full body tan.

A swing video of her in the two piece is definitely in order as proof . . . . .

I have 2 dozen Pro V1x's and a dozen ProV1's available for $20 each. Unblemished, indistinguishable from new without a jeweler's glass. Most have logos of some kind.

Thread Information