|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

HELP! buying new clubs, need advice!

Hello All,

I started golfing about 1 1/2 years ago. Im ok, not great, still learning the ways.Definetley not Tiger just yet!

I am using old Pinnacle set of Irons, etc... All Hand me downs. I am ready for the next step, Im not sure my wallet is ready though...

What do you guys think of these...

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family

Cleveland Golf Tour Action Box Set...
    **[B]The ClevelandŽ Golf Tour Action box set features an oversized 460cc forged titanium driver, oversized stainless steel fairway wood, and stainless steel hybrid. The included gunmetal irons (5-PW) provide maximum forgiveness in all shot conditions. Completing the set are a sand wedge and easy-align putter, as well as a lightweight stand bag.[B]

Only 499.00 for the whole set, reg. 899.00

Or do you think I should build my set piece by piece as I can afford it. Irons, driver, etc....
    Taylormade, Callaway, etc....

Thanks Guys,

Much Appreciated!!

Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer27
    Hello All,

I started golfing about 1 1/2 years ago. Im ok, not great, still learning the ways.Definetley not Tiger just yet!

I am using old Pinnacle set of Irons, etc... All Hand me downs. I am ready for the next step, Im not sure my wallet is ready though...

What do you guys think of these...

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family

Cleveland Golf Tour Action Box Set...
    **[B]The ClevelandŽ Golf Tour Action box set features an oversized 460cc forged titanium driver, oversized stainless steel fairway wood, and stainless steel hybrid. The included gunmetal irons (5-PW) provide maximum forgiveness in all shot conditions. Completing the set are a sand wedge and easy-align putter, as well as a lightweight stand bag.[B]

Only 499.00 for the whole set, reg. 899.00

Or do you think I should build my set piece by piece as I can afford it. Irons, driver, etc....
    Taylormade, Callaway, etc....

Thanks Guys,

Much Appreciated!!

Jay
    Cleveland makes good equipment but I don't know anything about that set. Usually the all in one kits feature really low quality clubs. You'd probably be better off getting a set together from lightly used or demo clubs for about the same price. You can get a high end iron set for $200-$300 and a driver for about $100. A bag, demo putter and some wedges or a 3 wood will run you another $150-$200. A few of my local retailers have demo sets that are still in the plastic for less than $300.

Cleveland makes good sets! But I havnt heard of any of those clubs either! Nothing on the internet about those particular ones!

What do you think about the R7's.Irons, sports authority has them on sale for 399.00 ? Or should I get away from Sports Authority all together. LOL. I went to Roget Dunn Super store, Kinda pricey???

Demo clubs! Ill check into that thanks!

Have U talk to Lyle G yet? just kidding...
    For $500, I could have a selection of good set from eBay (1) iron set (2) wơơd/hybrids
    You may have to mix and match your clubs to your liking and it takes time. A gơơd used iron set on eBay would run you $250-275, 4 wood+23*hybrid would run you another $175 , that's how I "build" my current set, don't be afraid to mix brand names, most of us do, I believe... What works for others may not work for you

Don't buy Irons until you demo them and find the right fit. My advice
    Started golfing June-2008

Nike Sasquatch 9.5* w/Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
    Nike Sasquatch 15* w/True Temper SpeedStep Stiff
    Nike Slingshot OSS 18* w/True Temper Gold Stiff
    Mizuno MP 67 3-P, Project X 6.0
    Cleveland CG 14 52/10, +1"
    Cleveland CG 14 58/10, +1"
    Nike IC 20-20
    Taylormade TP Red

Maxfli Fires are the ONLY way to go. Ditch the whole notion about crappy Cleveland, Callaway, Taylormade, etc.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Taylormade R7s are a great club for hackers. I just sold my old set to my brother who shoots in the 90s and he loves them. He doesn't golf any better with them, but he thinks he does, and for a lot of golfers I have found that that is all that seems to matter.

If you want to get better, buy Mizuno in the MP series. If you just want to continue to hack around on the course and your friends are easily impressed with OEM brand clubs, then by all means go buy the R7s.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer27

What do you think about the R7's.Irons, sports authority has them on sale for 399.00 ?
    What's up with your G-string ?

Bought the little lady a set of TM 200 graphite shaft irons for $90 at Golf Galaxy last fall. Then got her a 3 wood and putter for another $50. The used club rack is great. If you're not going to go the route where you get custom fit for all your equipment, then I would suggest buying used clubs and trying to match up as best you can. You'll get high-end stuff for a fraction of the price it cost new. Also those used Pings, TM's, or Callaways will be way better than the really low end clubs you get new. They'll come with scratches on them, but the new ones would be scratched after a couple trips to the range anyways.

Thread Information