|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Useful Instructional Videos

I was just wondering if anyone had a positive experience with any Instructional Videos. If you did please specify the title of the video as well as where I can purchase it. I'm looking for a video that works on the fundamentals of the golf swing as a whole as opposed to a specific aspect of my game (ex.chipping) I play in the mid 90s so I would need a video that would be helpful for a player of my level. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Video Suggestion

Jim MacLean's 8 Step Swing is a great video to check many parts of your swing. Can pick a copy up for nothing on eBay. There are a ton of review on it on here. Also I like Jack Nickelaus's "Golf My Way" and the PGA Members series which is like 17 videos but focus on specific parts of the game (which you specified in your post, you did not want).

Get David LeadBetter, he explains the swing quite easily and has a bunch of nice drills.

AJ Bonar is really for beginners who have absolutely no clue on what a golf swing is. It is instructional nonetheless and explains that the swing is an easy movement, which it is.
    Eddie Merrins video is uninformative, especially if you have already some experience in golf and know how to play. It really is targeted for beginners. An example would be: You're on a tee box, and you need to choose your target, and hit it there.
    He's pointing the obvious.... But, he has the merit of trying to simplify the golf swing, even though he's not mentionning any technical aspect of it. Also, his video treats the golf game as a whole, so you may not want to watch it.

Jim McLean is a quack. Watching his 8 step swing (which sometimes you can see on TGC) is the most boring experience ever. He complicates the swing for a motion that is supposed to be simple.... Geesh, do you think you're going to think those 8 steps over when you're swinging.... On the range, I see some people who just stands over the ball for 5 minutes, thinking about their moves. How funny can that be.

The only advice I can give you is:
    - Watch pro swings. Record them on video and look at them in slow motion, frame by frame.
    - Swinging a club is like swinging a ping pong racket. Don't think too much about it.
    Last edited by Loopy; 08-13-2004 at 09:23 PM.

I own a hole host of instructional videos and most of them are hopeless. Far too much over complication, annoying instructors, bad technical quality The one I continually go back to is David leadbetters Faults and fixes with nick price. Its ten years old now so Ebay may be the only way to get a copy

The best video I ever saw was the one i made of my swing in my back yard. I do not think an instructional video can ever be worth much. No one swing is right for every person. IMHO, a good instructor or self analysis of your own swing would be much more effective.

Thread Information