|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

2009 US Open Official Thread

I guess I'll get the thread started since I'm the only one on here today. You get 2 picks: 1 from inside the top 10 OWGR, 1 from outside the top 10. Also pick the winning score. If you win, you get absolutely jack sh!t.

http://www.officialworldgolfranking....gs/default.sps

I can't find a good list for all the players in this years US Open.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Tiger Woods and Ernie Els. 1---2. Book it.

4 under par.

Dark horse - JB Holmes

Dead last - Twack's buddy
    Last edited by Mr 3 Wiggle; 06-15-2009 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 3 Wiggle
    What is your winning score?
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    What is your winning score?
    4 under par.

Mickelson
    Goosen
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by KoolCat
    Mickelson
    Goosen
    +1
    2002 called...they want your driver back.

I'll also allow one darkhorse pick, but it has to be someone who had to go through at least one stage of qualifying.

Inside top 10 = Tiger (I hate to be a sheep, but I can't see anyone beating him)
    Outside top 10 = Sabbatini (He will channel the hatred from the NY fans)
    Darkhorse = Duval (that's right MF'ers, remember how well he played in the 2006 choke-a-thon?)
    Score = -3
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I'll also allow one darkhorse pick, but it has to be someone who had to go through at least one stage of qualifying.

Inside top 10 = Tiger (I hate to be a sheep, but I can't see anyone beating him)
    Darkhorse = Duval (that's right MF'ers, remember how well he played in the 2006 choke-a-thon?)
    Score = -3
    I updated mine.

2002 called...they want your driver back.
    Good one. Is it really from 2002? That makes it 8 years newer than my irons...

Good one. Is it really from 2002? That makes it 8 years newer than my irons...
    I was a Ping devotee back then. Had Eye 2's and the TiSI driver. Made the mistake of buying the TiSI Tec Driver. Heard it was longer. Shafted it with an AJTech red. Blew nuts...I bought the 975 LF shortly after.

I was a Ping devotee back then. Had Eye 2's and the TiSI driver. Made the mistake of buying the TiSI Tec Driver. Heard it was longer. Shafted it with an AJTech red. Blew nuts...I bought the 975 LF shortly after.
    I've never really bonded with it. Usually leave it out of the bag. I can hit my Ti3 3 wood almost as far as any driver I've tried. It's not worth losing the accuracy to get an extra 15-20 yards.

I've never really bonded with it. Usually leave it out of the bag. I can hit my Ti3 3 wood almost as far as any driver I've tried. It's not worth losing the accuracy to get an extra 15-20 yards.
    Do yourself a favor. Go buy a Callaway Diablo driver. The driver you have is difficult to hit straight unless you nail it on the screws. It also has a very small sweet spot.

Do yourself a favor. Go buy a Callaway Diablo driver. The driver you have is difficult to hit straight unless you nail it on the screws. It also has a very small sweet spot.
    That's the one Rocco is "crushing" in the commercials, right? Diablo = POS.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

At least it isn't a Titleist.

There was a Cally tent set up on the driving range of my home course last weekend. I tried the Diablo (POS) and the FT-9 (God awful POS. Sounded like someone hitting coconuts with a wooden bat.) my old faithful launcher was about 40 yards longer than both. anyhoop.

I wanna say Tiger, but just to pick an upset.
    Inside the top 10 = Jim Furyk
    Outside = David Toms
    score 4 under
    Last edited by Home-slicer; 06-15-2009 at 05:49 PM.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

The TiSec 3 woods (or whatever you have) are probably one of the "hottest" 3 woods I've hit aside from my current Sonartec. A local pro I know still plays one...although the driver is a bit old fashioned and wasn't that great even in its day.

Picks---

If Tiger hits off the tee like he did at the Memorial...no contest he WALKS away with it...but, I'm going with Ogilvy.

I hope Rory Sabbatini misses the cut

And Anthony Kim, if he's even playing. I just watch it, don't live it!

Oh yeah, -9 wins it.

phuck the sheep

Stenson in the top ten

harrington outside

and darkhorse is rory mcilroy

+2
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    phuck the sheep

Stenson in the top ten

harrington outside

and darkhorse is rory mcilroy

+2
    Euros don't have the fortitude to pull off a win on a course like Bethpage. That crowd will eat them alive.

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    The TiSec 3 woods (or whatever you have) are probably one of the "hottest" 3 woods I've hit aside from my current Sonartec. A local pro I know still plays one...although the driver is a bit old fashioned and wasn't that great even in its day.

Picks---

If Tiger hits off the tee like he did at the Memorial...no contest he WALKS away with it...but, I'm going with Ogilvy.

I hope Rory Sabbatini misses the cut

And Anthony Kim, if he's even playing. I just watch it, don't live it!

Oh yeah, -9 wins it.
    Why the Sabbatini hate? He's fricken great! Epitomizes everything we stand for at GR.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Inside Top ten player : Tiger Woods
    Outside Top ten player : Rory McIlroy

Winning score +2
    In The Bag
    ---------------
    Driver- Taylormade r7 Superquad (10.5*)

Fairway Wood- Cleveland Launcher 5 Wood (17*)

Irons- Ping i3 Blade (2-9)

Wedges- Cleveland Black Nickel (51*, 56* and 60*)

Putter- Odyssey Sabertooth (34")

Why the Sabbatini hate? He's fricken great! Epitomizes everything we stand for at GR.
    He's probably ticked at Sabbatini because he said amateurs that play blades are morons.

If he is driving the ball well, Tiger, -6 for the top 10. If he doesnt hit the tee ball well, it might be Sergio's tourney (he usually plays northeast courses well).

Outside the top 10 I would go with Toms.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

HB, I've talked to 2 people who said all he does is cuss and whine when playing golf. They were at events when he was playing. Sounds like a loser to me. Not that he wouldn't have a great personality for GR.

Wiggles, I don't play blades, sorry. Aside from a younger play getting better, I would pretty much laugh at people who are over a 5 hdcp playing blades because they "help their game." They're out of touch.

Tiger wins with -12

Anthony Kim is my 2nd pick.

Sergio will make a strong showing on Thu/Fri and blow in on Sat/Sun
    Started golfing June-2008

Nike Sasquatch 9.5* w/Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
    Nike Sasquatch 15* w/True Temper SpeedStep Stiff
    Nike Slingshot OSS 18* w/True Temper Gold Stiff
    Mizuno MP 67 3-P, Project X 6.0
    Cleveland CG 14 52/10, +1"
    Cleveland CG 14 58/10, +1"
    Nike IC 20-20
    Taylormade TP Red

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    HB, I've talked to 2 people who said all he does is cuss and whine when playing golf. They were at events when he was playing. Sounds like a loser to me. Not that he wouldn't have a great personality for GR.

Wiggles, I don't play blades, sorry. Aside from a younger play getting better, I would pretty much laugh at people who are over a 5 hdcp playing blades because they "help their game." They're out of touch.
    I've watched Sabo play before with Freddie Jacobsen and he was hilarious. Actually talked to the crowd and seemed like he and Freddie were having a good time. Playing pretty well too. He gets a bad rep from the media because he doesn't kiss their collective meal ticket's ass. Breath of fresh air from the DL3's and Nick Watney's of the tour.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

For the win I'll go with the head. Tiger to win on about 2 under. econd place finsishes about 2 over.

Outside the top 10 I'll go Anthony Kim.

For a dark horse I'll be cheering Charley Hoffman all the way home.

I like Ogilvy for this one too, he's the only other guy in the field whose play gets better the tougher the course is. But it's too hard to go past Tiger after the Memorial, and this course is perfect for him.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Damn. With all the rain they got yesterday, I'm afraid the scores are going to be much lower than originally anticipated. Not only will the greens be softer, but these guys are deadly when they can 'lift, clean, and place'. At least it will play a little longer. We'll see...

Damn. With all the rain they got yesterday, I'm afraid the scores are going to be much lower than originally anticipated. Not only will the greens be softer, but these guys are deadly when they can 'lift, clean, and place'. At least it will play a little longer. We'll see...
    That'd be awesome. I'd like to see a playoff between three guys that finished at -26. I'm hoping some sort of infestation obliterates the rough overnight so that the entire course is basically fairway and soft greens. They'd run out of defribillators for the USGA guys. Then, if enough of them die off, maybe they'll get replaced with guys that will be in favor of putting on an event that's entertaining.

Sadly, none of this will happen.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    That'd be awesome. I'd like to see a playoff between three guys that finished at -26. I'm hoping some sort of infestation obliterates the rough overnight so that the entire course is basically fairway and soft greens. They'd run out of defribillators for the USGA guys. Then, if enough of them die off, maybe they'll get replaced with guys that will be in favor of putting on an event that's entertaining.
    Agree fully

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    Agree fully
    The best part is we'd be able to rip on fatheads from NYC and tell them their "Amazing" Bethpage Black is a munie for hacks.

Score = -3
    Good call on Duval!

LOL - Great picks!!!

Els doesn't even make the cut and Tiger looks like he won't be a factor in this championship.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Els is a washed up has been. His game is gone and his nerve has totally left him. For whatever reason he seems to be dsinterested in golf (not that Ernie ever showed much in the way of passion, intensity and steely focus). I put it down to being run over too many times by Tiger. He's never really been the same since being paired with Tiger in the US Open at Pebble Beach, when he got to spend the weekend choking on Tigers exhaust fumes. I think the Masters in 2004 was the final nail in his coffin. When a majorless Phil Mickelson can hold you off on Sunday at a major you know you aint got it.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I'm hoping the guys out in fornt duel it out over the last round, I think it would be sad to see either or both of them come back to the field. If someone under par shoots lights out to cath them, great, but I don't want to see them both back up.

My prediction for the last round is that Duval will fold like a cheap suit and be lucky to finish top 10, and Barnes will hold his game together to win it. Barnes and Glover both showed signs of nerves on the closing stretch (Glover left his birdie putt way short on 17, and Barnes misread his par putt on 18 badly), but they held it together to shoot par which left them way out in front as noone near them made a real move in the third round. Out of the two of them though, I think Barnes looks like he is enjoying himself more and won't feel any prssure.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Els is a washed up has been. His game is gone and his nerve has totally left him. For whatever reason he seems to be dsinterested in golf (not that Ernie ever showed much in the way of passion, intensity and steely focus). I put it down to being run over too many times by Tiger. He's never really been the same since being paired with Tiger in the US Open at Pebble Beach, when he got to spend the weekend choking on Tigers exhaust fumes. I think the Masters in 2004 was the final nail in his coffin. When a majorless Phil Mickelson can hold you off on Sunday at a major you know you aint got it.
    Els has not made it back to the elite level since his enforced knee sugery and long layoff. You are probably right that he is washed up and will not be able to get his world number 2 or 3 game back. I think his failure to recapture his pre-injury form is mainly mental, players in his position lose confidence when they return and are of an age where it is not easy to match it pysically with the young guns. Once their game is in disarray it may seem impossible to get it back and every failure reinforces that. It will be a real challenge for Tiger I believe; as great as he is, it will be a challenge mentally not to go the same way.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

My bet is -4 (maybe even -3) will win or tie at the end of round 4. I think Barnes might drop way back if the greens dry out a little bit...putting will be a problem. Somebody from an earlier group will probably back into a tie after Glover misses a putt on the last hole. Choke meter should be running high today.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Got up at 3am here in Hawaii to watch the death march (4th round USO). Gotta love the pins, particularly the ones cut next to the front bunkers. Ricky (don't lose that sub-par number) is leaking oil with that lunge swing of his. His best bet would be to see if he can land in the Hudson like that passenger plane did.

Maybe that painter's hat of his could double as a floatation device.
    GR lives...

Ricky's putting stroke is beginning to look like Judge Smail's.
    GR lives...

Ricky's putting stroke is beginning to look like Judge Smail's.
    I believe he has officially sh*t the bed.

Tiger now at -1 is completely in this tournament. Jim Nantz just came in his pants even though his network isn't carrying.
    GR lives...

I don't think Tiger is out of it yet. If he posts -3 or even -2, the choppers behind him will likely sh!t the bed. Phil even has a better chance, but we all know he's taking a 6 on 18.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Tiger now at -1 is completely in this tournament. Jim Nantz just came in his pants even though his network isn't carrying.
    If Tiger can come in with a -3 he wins this thing. -2 he still has a shot.

If Tiger can come in with a -3 he wins this thing. -2 he still has a shot.
    I you are going to steal my quote at least make it word for word in the future.
    Thanks in advance,
    Horseballs
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I you are going to steal my quote at least make it word for word in the future.
    Thanks in advance,
    Horseballs
    Looks like 15 got him again. He needs two birdies in the last 3 holes. Pretty sure he's done now.

Did you hear the guy yell "Jesus!", as though someone just cut him off in traffic, when Tiger missed his putt on 16? Funny stuff.
    GR lives...

Did you hear the guy yell "Jesus!", as though someone just cut him off in traffic, when Tiger missed his putt on 16? Funny stuff.
    Now he needs to birdie both 17 and 18. Ain't gonna happen. Tough break Tiger.

My Tivo fritzed. Did Ross Fisher just miss a 1.5 footer?
    GR lives...

What the h3ll is the deal with those pin striped pants. Gawd, Phil is a pud.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

My Tivo fritzed. Did Ross Fisher just miss a 1.5 footer?
    Yep...

My favorite Miller quote today was in regards to Duvals duck hook. Someone was trying to blame it on a mudball, and Miller said "maybe, but it was a pretty skanky looking swing."

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    What the h3ll is the deal with those pin striped pants. Gawd, Phil is a pud.
    I'm thinking the same part of the brain is responsible for determining whether clothes look good and making course management decisions.

He's now tied for the lead at -4. But we all know he's taking a 6 on 18.
    GR lives...

Great final round. Particularly for a USO.

Only a few holes to go and still alot of guys could win. Hope it's Duvall. He's played better than anyone else, just couldn't get putts to drop.
    GR lives...

If anything else, this shows that Duval is back.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutter
    If anything else, this shows that Duval is back.
    Well it's automatic entry into the US Open next year and the Masters.

I think if anyone even had the balls to put Duval down as a pick he should gain automatic entry in the GR HOF. Maybe a nice plaque next to the LarryAB wing.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I think if anyone even had the balls to put Duval down as a pick he should gain automatic entry in the GR HOF. Maybe a nice plaque next to the LarryAB wing.
    Not sure how tough picking Duval was. Considering we had to pick a guy that went through sectionals, Duval was one of the better choices.

Not sure how tough picking Duval was. Considering we had to pick a guy that went through sectionals, Duval was one of the better choices.
    I don't recall anyone having fortitude of sack to pick Duval.

Daly wrecked his RV into someone this weekend.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I don't recall anyone having fortitude of sack to pick Duval.

Daly wrecked his RV into someone this weekend.
    Pretty sure someone had him as his darkhorse.

I wonder how many cases of beer Daly had prior to that accident.

Pretty sure someone had him as his darkhorse.

I wonder how many cases of beer Daly had prior to that accident.
    Over/under is 2 cases. I'd be drunk 24/7 if I had to dress up like a clown and frost my hair to pay the bills. He's giving Arkansas a bad name.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

What has happened to Barnes ?

Score = -3
    Duval was a great pick, worthy of GR Hall of Fame achievement. Unless another pick is so harebrained, it cancels out the genius of picking Duval. Hmmm.....let's see.....it looks like you're going to have to wait, HB.

I'm pleased that I succeeded in picking the winner. I selected nobody. And he won.
    GR lives...

Duval was a great pick, worthy of GR Hall of Fame achievement. Unless another pick is so harebrained, it cancels out the genius of picking Duval. Hmmm.....let's see.....it looks like you're going to have to wait, HB.

I'm pleased that I succeeded in picking the winner. I selected nobody. And he won.
    Post of the day right there.

Thread Information