|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Just changed my grip at the range

Went from an overlapping to interlocking. When I was a kid I was an interlocker, but a teaching pro switched it when I was 15. Not sure why. Since then my miss has always been a hook. Recently I've been doing some serious work on my swing. Trying "move the bottom of my swing forward" as Bobby Clampett says. I tried the interlock today and I find it way easier to keep my hands out ahead of the ball at impact. I also noticed that right to left miss was not happening at all. Went through the whole bag and it worked with every club. My 4 iron which is usually a club I draw was dead straight/maybe even a little fade. My driver was a nice trajectory with a 5 to 10 yard draw. I'm going to keep on this and might convert to an interlocker for good. Anyone have any similar experiences with these grips. For me the overlap is a grip for people who have trouble closing the face and the interlock seems like a good grip for people who hook the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 3 Wiggle
    Went from an overlapping to interlocking. When I was a kid I was an interlocker, but a teaching pro switched it when I was 15. Not sure why. Since then my miss has always been a hook. Recently I've been doing some serious work on my swing. Trying "move the bottom of my swing forward" as Bobby Clampett says. I tried the interlock today and I find it way easier to keep my hands out ahead of the ball at impact. I also noticed that right to left miss was not happening at all. Went through the whole bag and it worked with every club. My 4 iron which is usually a club I draw was dead straight/maybe even a little fade. My driver was a nice trajectory with a 5 to 10 yard draw. I'm going to keep on this and might convert to an interlocker for good. Anyone have any similar experiences with these grips. For me the overlap is a grip for people who have trouble closing the face and the interlock seems like a good grip for people who hook the ball.

I suspect what happened was that you had a bit too strong of a grip with your left hand which was the reason the club was turning over a bit too much, and by switching to the interlocking grip you've had to weaken your left hand grip to a more neutral position - the result of which would be a more delayed release through impact.

I'm an overlapper. I've never felt like my hands were very secure on the club when using the interlocking grip... always seems a bit loose hard to maintain a good constant grip pressure. The overlapping grip just feels more solid and unified for me.

I think the real key to avoiding the hard-lefts is to resist the urge to throw the club at the ball, stay smooth with the tempo and maintain good balance. The stronger your grip is, the more a smooth tempo and a natural, unforced release become necessary in my experience.

Interesting topic.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    I suspect what happened was that you had a bit too strong of a grip with your left hand which was the reason the club was turning over a bit too much, and by switching to the interlocking grip you've had to weaken your left hand grip to a more neutral position - the result of which would be a more delayed release through impact.

I'm an overlapper. I've never felt like my hands were very secure on the club when using the interlocking grip... always seems a bit loose hard to maintain a good constant grip pressure. The overlapping grip just feels more solid and unified for me.

I think the real key to avoiding the hard-lefts is to resist the urge to throw the club at the ball, stay smooth with the tempo and maintain good balance. The stronger your grip is, the more a smooth tempo and a natural, unforced release become necessary in my experience.

Interesting topic.

FON
    What's awesome is no matter how hard I went after it with the interlocking grip it didn't balloon or go left. Hopefully this wasn't just a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 3 Wiggle
    What's awesome is no matter how hard I went after it with the interlocking grip it didn't balloon or go left. Hopefully this wasn't just a fluke.
    Good luck, I hope it wasn't a fluke either. I don't know how many times I have made one little tweak to my grip, setup or swing that has lead to an immaculate range session only to come thumping back down to earth next time out. In other words the one change you are focused on makes you briefly forget all else and allows you to swing naturally. Until next time when all the other swing thoughts return!
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I thought about doing this at one time as a way to lessen the tendency of the right side/hand to become too involved. Let us know what happens with it over time.

But the really important question is what does Brian think about it.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I thought about doing this at one time as a way to lessen the tendency of the right side/hand to become too involved. Let us know what happens with it over time.

But the really important question is what does Brian think about it.

For me that's exactly what it does. With an overlap i feel I have to grip the club and hold onto it with my right hand. Causes it to get too active. With the interlock, I put the right hand on and then just hold on with the left. With the left index finger holding it all together I'm able to completely lose all right hand tension.

Thread Information