|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    Question little help for a re-beginner?

    so i used to play golf here and there as a kid. i am 24 now and missing the sport badly.

    i know which golf clubs i'd like to get in the future, but i do not know what makes a good "beginner" set. or if there is such a thing..?

    could anyone recommend a few choices, right-handed, for me to look at.

    thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Congressional
    Posts
    996
    Rep Power
    18

    Re-beginner clubs...

    Quote Originally Posted by mahjede
    so i used to play golf here and there as a kid. i am 24 now and missing the sport badly.

    i know which golf clubs i'd like to get in the future, but i do not know what makes a good "beginner" set. or if there is such a thing..?

    could anyone recommend a few choices, right-handed, for me to look at.

    thanks!
    See a certified club fitter...sometimes a pga professional, but as all things change perhaps not. In all honesty no one here can steer you towards a set, but if you look at all the big names in the club industry you can't go wrong....Ping, TaylorMade, Calloway, Titleist, Adams, Wilson, etc, etc, etc. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hawktree
    Posts
    1,538
    Rep Power
    17
    If you're on a budget by name brand used clubs. Being fitted may or may not help...if you're new your swing my change within a year or two as you learn the proper fundamentals and that may change your lie angles meaning you'll have to buy new clubs. Unless your clubs are forged, then you'd just have to adjust them. I'd start with a cheaper set unless you used to be really good.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Oak Valley
    Posts
    7,980
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    If you're on a budget by name brand used clubs. Being fitted may or may not help...if you're new your swing my change within a year or two as you learn the proper fundamentals and that may change your lie angles meaning you'll have to buy new clubs. Unless your clubs are forged, then you'd just have to adjust them. I'd start with a cheaper set unless you used to be really good.
    Good advice here.
    Also, by all means, start with some lessons. A set of 4-6 lessons with a qualified pro shouldn't set you back very much, and it will pay dividends for years. It's far easier to learn it right than to have to unlearn bad habits, like I had to do.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sawmill
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    I recently picked up the 2009 Wilson Staff Di9 irons 5-GW off of ebay and couldn't be happier. I've only been playing a year and these clubs seem to suit my ability very well. They look really classy and nothing like most of the game-improvement clubs. I was a bit worried about the uniflex shaft possibly being too flimsy, but the oversized diameter shaft seems to make it feel just like a stiff flex. I'm not sure about my swing speed, but I average 270 yds off the tee. I got them for about $275 in brand new condition. Callaway, Taylor Made, Ping etc. only cost more- they are not any better.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    12
    I'd take collegegolfer's advice one step further. Find some used forged clubs. Mizuno Comp EZ, Wishon 550 C, Ben Hogan Edge (the older Edge model), MacGregor VIP.
    Any of those irons you should be able to find for 50-150 if you just keep looking for awhile. I guess the key question is how patient can you be? The longer you look the better deal you will ultimately find. Wishon's tend to be cheaper in stores than they are on Ebay. Everything else is probably left for Ebay. I'd look for steal shafts for sure.
    Clearly the rules don't apply in this situation.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    25
    Who would have thought such an innocuous unremarkable thread would hail the return of Fred3?
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,934
    Rep Power
    28
    I like that Fred3 included NAH's Wilsons in his list of companies.

    I have to admit to being kind of pissed. Thousands of posts and nothing from Fred3. Friggin' mahjede gets a hit the first time. This completely mirrors my failure to make a hole in one.
    GR lives...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I have to admit to being kind of pissed. Thousands of posts and nothing from Fred3. Friggin' mahjede gets a hit the first time. This completely mirrors my failure to make a hole in one.
    Yeah I can see how that would rankle.

    I got ticked off by Fred3 fairly early on, more than once in fact, however it was pretty easy back then. Fred was a regular poster like the rest of us and posted far more frequently. It's much tougher to get a Fred3 hit nowadays. I guess as time goes by waiting for that elusive first hit it only gets harder and more frustrating that you can't complete your GR CV. I hope it doesn't become the monkey on your back that you just can't shake.

    As for a hole in one I once aced the ball in the hole for a 3 after putting my 1st ball OB. At the time I was thrilled but looking back gawd I wish it had been my 1st ball. Closest I've come since were a couple that stopped about 6 inches from the hole for tap in birdies but they never really looked like going in.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    barnbougle dunes
    Posts
    3,496
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I like that Fred3 included NAH's Wilsons in his list of companies.

    I have to admit to being kind of pissed. Thousands of posts and nothing from Fred3. Friggin' mahjede gets a hit the first time. This completely mirrors my failure to make a hole in one.
    I think your frustration is justified Lorenzo. This is just another glaring example of how unjust the world really is. To prove it I have also never had an ace. However I have observed a chopper hit a shocking topped/thin tee shot which rolled most of the way right into the hole.
    Breaks you're heart.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I think your frustration is justified Lorenzo. This is just another glaring example of how unjust the world really is. To prove it I have also never had an ace. However I have observed a chopper hit a shocking topped/thin tee shot which rolled most of the way right into the hole.
    Breaks you're heart.
    Yeah but let's be honest OP. Would YOU want a hole in one like that off a cr@ppy thinned mis hit? I doubt it. I think we would all prefer to hit a towering high mid iron that sails towards the pin, drops a few feet from the cup, takes a couple of little hops and rolls and drops in.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    barnbougle dunes
    Posts
    3,496
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Yeah but let's be honest OP. Would YOU want a hole in one like that off a cr@ppy thinned mis hit? I doubt it. I think we would all prefer to hit a towering high mid iron that sails towards the pin, drops a few feet from the cup, takes a couple of little hops and rolls and drops in.
    I guess you're right Kiwi, but time is running out.
    Sometimes I feel I would take one any way it comes!
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,934
    Rep Power
    28
    It's not genetic. My son has three of them, all majestic. So I don't want some POS chopper hole in one. That'd only make the suffering worse.

    If you're reading this and you have a hole and one and you're a chopper - fu.ck you. Particularly if you haven't played that long or that much.

    Fred3 may be the only person I never seem to piss off. I just don't get it. It's as though I'm losing my touch.
    GR lives...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wentworth-by-the-Sea
    Posts
    3,224
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    It's not genetic. My son has three of them, all majestic. So I don't want some POS chopper hole in one. That'd only make the suffering worse.

    If you're reading this and you have a hole and one and you're a chopper - fu.ck you. Particularly if you haven't played that long or that much.

    Fred3 may be the only person I never seem to piss off. I just don't get it. It's as though I'm losing my touch.
    I may or may not qualify as a chopper, Lorenzo, depending on your standard. I've gone from an 11.3 to an 8.3 at the age of 63--with a terminal illness-- but in all honesty, a small part of that comes from just addmitting to the correct set of tees.

    In any case, I've had two aces plus one double eagle two--all in a scant fifty-one years of golf.

    I guess I am a chopper, but only to a genuine player--not to most.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,934
    Rep Power
    28
    There was another thread about chopper definitions. Someone suggested it was anyone worse than you. I don't buy that. If you approach the game with some dedication, are open to improving and are average or better then you have my respect as a golfer.

    And a double eagle more than validates this in your case. I actually lipped out a double eagle, as did my son. In both cases witnesses told us so.

    I bear no ill will towards dedicated golfers that have aced. But I confess hating the others.
    GR lives...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I guess you're right Kiwi, but time is running out.
    Sometimes I feel I would take one any way it comes!
    If it's any consolation my Dad has been playing since 1970, played to a single digit handicap of 7-8 for as long as I can remember and has never had one. My Mum got one within two years of taking up the game.

    I guess I agree with you. Whilst a majestic high flying ace would be ideal a worm burner that drops in the hole would also be accepted gratefully.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,510
    Rep Power
    23
    I almost got the chopper hole in one just yesterday. I severely thinned a 7 iron that bounced short, powered through a bunker and slowly rolled about 3 feet short dead on line. I have also never eagled a par 3, though I have 3 hole-outs with full swings on par 4's.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,934
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I almost got the chopper hole in one just yesterday. I severely thinned a 7 iron that bounced short, powered through a bunker and slowly rolled about 3 feet short dead on line. I have also never eagled a par 3, though I have 3 hole-outs with full swings on par 4's.
    I've had my share of eagles on par 4-s. BFD. I'd trade them and my ride for an ace.
    GR lives...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I almost got the chopper hole in one just yesterday. I severely thinned a 7 iron that bounced short, powered through a bunker and slowly rolled about 3 feet short dead on line. I have also never eagled a par 3, though I have 3 hole-outs with full swings on par 4's.
    Did you make the putt for bird?
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,510
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Did you make the putt for bird?
    Yes I did. I would also trade all the past and future eagle hole-outs on par 4's for a single ace. I've had lots of 2's on the card, but never a 1.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    No idea
    Posts
    707
    Rep Power
    12
    Let's be honest here..

    FCUK the lessons. A friend of mine engaged a pro since he first started 2 years ago. Today he is still with the pro with something to correct from time to time. Till when ?

    If you wanna get some clubs, go test them during demo days. Once you bought the ones you like, work on your game.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    No idea
    Posts
    707
    Rep Power
    12
    P e r i o d .

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. I'm a Beginner: Tell Me Which of These to Buy
    By dannno in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 05-16-2009, 01:33 PM
  2. Design a set for an old beginner
    By profman in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 03:51 AM
  3. Beginner Irons
    By Dups31 in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-18-2005, 06:52 PM
  4. Beginner Set-Please Help
    By cookie6768 in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 09:00 AM
  5. Best beginner set? Please help me get started!
    By timmarchant in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 02:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •